Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z: The Android Threat ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Guests rooms, a bathroom and an accomplished chief. The Lookout should open up as a hotel, I could just imagine Mr Popo in a suit!
 
I had decided to join Goku and Gohan at the large dining table which was adorned with countless dishes once I'd realised I hadn't eaten in over twelve hours (no wonder I had felt so faint!). I lacked the same appetite as my uncle but managed to work my way through a great deal of Mr Popo's delicious cooking, much to his delight. It seemed he lived to serve others and seeing their satisfaction heightened his own. Or that was just Goku's excuse to make him cook more…
 
After finishing my meal I headed back to Bulma and Piccolo, who had taken his usual place at the edge of the Lookout to watch the fight below. Seeing as he had fused with Kami, and also had extensive understanding of certain psychic abilities, he was able to witness the events below us as though he were watching a television. Bulma was sat cross legged on the ground and cradling a sleeping baby.
 
“Hey Lani, you're looking better now” she smiled as I sat next to her.
 
“Has he said anything?”
 
“No, he's just been standing there and making grunting noises from time to time”
 
I nodded, Piccolo was never the greatest communicator but I could tell from his tense stance that something wasn't right. I stood up from my spot on the ground and stood beside him, “Hey, what's going on down there?” I asked tentatively.
 
“Vegeta… he's strong. Stronger then Cell, but he's just toying with him! He could have ended this ten times over with his new level of power”
 
I looked down at the mass of white clouds, wishing I could see what he could.
 
“But that means we can win right?”
 
“It's Vegeta that will win, not us” he said quietly, trying to hide his voice from Bulma.
 
I remained silent at his words. I knew that Vegeta had a dark past, hell I'd been on the same ship with him so I'd heard rumours of his darkest deeds that none of the others seemed to be aware of. Not that they didn't already not trust him, part of me wondered what really tied him to this planet. He wanted to defeat Goku to prove his superiority, that much was all too clear. But he could leave, train across the galaxies and then return for the rematch. But he kept finding himself back on Earth, fighting with us if not necessarily for us.
 
I glanced over at Bulma and Trunks, maybe his family would change him. Like mine had. It's not like I'd ever killed people before or anything on the same scale as Vegeta, but before my time on Earth I had very different values. Self-preservation being one of them, but now I found myself willingly sacrificing myself and I'm not even entirely sure why…
 
I'll admit my reasons for the things I've done lately aren't entirely selfless, part of me has always been more concerned with earning myself a place on this planet, amongst this group of people, then saving anyone else's life. Except for when I believed the man beside me to be dead at the bottom of the ocean, I had cared then… but I had acted more out of obligation to his memory then my fury or despair, if I was truly honest with myself.
 
I shook the thoughts from my head, it certainly wasn't like me to go into deep and meaningful journey's of self discovery. No point in starting now, I had a goal and I needed to remain focused. I needed to be here, ready for anything.
 
“What! No!” Piccolo suddenly bellowed, making me jump sky high. From behind us Trunks began to wail loudly at the rude awakening.
 
“What is it?” Bulma exclaimed.
 
“Vegeta… you fool! What are you thinking?”
 
“Vegeta?” Bulma said, “What is it, what's happening?”
 
“He… he let Cell go. He's letting him absorb Android Eighteen!”
 
Bulma screeched shrilly, making my ears wince in pain, “What do you mean he's letting her?”
 
“Cell is tricking him, why can't he see that. He's playing on Vegeta's own arrogance, and it's going to get us all killed!”
 
“But Goku and Gohan only entered the chamber an hour ago, if Cell transforms again…” I began.
 
Bulma was silent at my side, her eyes wide with worry. I felt sympathy for the woman as I remembered what Trunks had told Goku all those years ago when he first arrived here. Bulma had fallen in love with Vegeta, and now she had to stand here and watch while he jeopardised everything she cared about.
 
“What about the remote, surely they've found Eighteen by now” I said quickly, hope flickering within in me.
 
“Krillen was supposed to use it while the others went back to Kame House… but he destroyed it”
 
Bulma shrieked once more at my side, though this time from fury.
 
“Does he have any idea how much hard-work it was to make that? What they hell did he do that for?”
 
Piccolo didn't reply, either not caring to give us an answer or not knowing himself. I didn't have a clue either, I know the fighters had never really fought females before but she was just as tough as Seventeen. This was no time for chivalry! I should have done it myself…
 
“We have to stop him” I said firmly, “Piccolo, shouldn't we get down there”
 
“We'd never make it on time. Besides, Goku told me to keep an eye on you”
 
I frowned, “But this is important!”
 
“Neither of us stand a chance against Cell or Vegeta… but Trunks is still down there”
 
My stomach lurched uncontrollably, Trunks fighting Cell? No, from the look on Piccolo's face Trunks wasn't preoccupied with the bug-like android.
 
“Trunks is fighting Vegeta isn't he?” I whispered.
 
“Yes”
 
“Do you think he can stop it?”
 
“I… don't know Lani, I just don't know how strong either of them have truly become”
 
I sighed in frustration, “So all we can do is wait again huh?”
 
His curt nod only served to fuel my aggravation, my tail lashed out behind me as I stared down at the Earth. A sudden sharp pain ran up my spine and into the base of my neck, “Ow what the hell?” I cursed. Looking behind me I saw a pair of sky blue eyes gazing up at me, Trunks had my tail clutched between his hands and was tugging relentlessly. I lifted my tail into the air with the intent to pull it from his hands, but the little mite was stronger then I realised and held on as I brought him up to eye level.
 
“Maybe we should stick you down there, you can hold Cell by the tail while your counterpart beats the daylights out of him”
 
“It's too late…” Piccolo growled.
 
Never before had three words struck such fear within me, “You mean?”
 
“He's done it. Damn you Vegeta, you've doomed us all!”
 
X
 
Three hours later we were all gathered in the Capsule Corp. living room, excluding Goku, Gohan and Piccolo who chose to remain at the Lookout. The sun was setting outside and the atmosphere was strangely calm considering the events of the last few hours. I was sat beside Chi Chi on the squashy purple couch, my tail flicking from side to side out of restlessness.
 
Cell had reached his final form, and Trunks had revealed himself to have unimaginable power that made me look like a kitten meowing next to a lion's roar. It had been remarkable when I felt his Ki as he attacked Cell, throwing everything he had at him to stop the monster. But where his strength increased his speed declined, and he had lost the battle. Trunks was currently stood behind me, out of my sight. When I'd arrived at Capsule shortly after everyone else I'd only been met with a short nod of welcome by him before he turned back to talking with the guys. The squirm I usually felt when he was around was gone, replaced by agitation and frustration. I felt like I was being pushed aside by everyone, always being told to stay put and be quiet. I had thought that Trunks and I shared an understanding that day by Dr Gero's lab. Seems I may have been wrong. I crossed my arms and leant back into the comfort of the couch, suddenly very tired and only half listening to the conversation.
 
“So he wants a tournament?” Yamcha frowned.
 
“Yes, that's what he said. It will be held ten days from now, he told me to watch the television for details. He'll fight anyone who challenges him, and he expects one from all of us”
 
Master Roshi sat back in his seat and looked at us through his dark glasses, “Of course, you know what he's trying to do. I do. He wants to eliminate the competition once and for all” he said ominously.
 
“Well, I kind of like the idea of another tournament” Yamcha piped up.
 
“As long as you don't get another hand through your stomach” I heard Oolong mutter under his breath.
 
“Here you go” Bulma's mother giggled cheerily as she handed her husband a hot cup of tea, “Now wasn't there a martial arts tournament a little while ago?”
 
I zoned out of the conversation completely as Mater Roshi began his story, and I wasn't the only one. Slowly everyone crept outside onto the balcony where we could continue the discussion, followed shortly by Master Roshi once he'd finished and realised he'd been speaking only to a semi amused Dr Briefs. I stood next to Krillen with my back against the rail, Chaotzu, Yamcha and Trunks were leaning on it as they looked out over the city. Vegeta remained several feet away from us as he perched on the edge with his eyes closed and arms folded. I wondered what he was thinking about…
 
“Why would Cell host a tournament, he's stronger then all of us. Wouldn't he want to get us out of the way before Goku comes back?” Yamcha questioned.
 
“This is all part of it for him” Trunks explained as he turned to face Chi Chi and the others who were gathering around the table, “The androids feed off of the fear and chaos they create. I expect he's enjoying make us wait like this”
 
“Well I for one am very glad” Chi Chi spoke up.
 
“Erm… huh?” I said dumbly.
 
“In a tournament everyone knows that killing is not allowed, even Cell will have to stick to the rules” she explained.
 
“She got a point” Krillen grinned, “Maybe this won't be so bad after all”
 
I looked over at Vegeta, who was watching us all dubiously, and caught his eye. He seemed to be thinking the same thing as me, there's no way Cell would stick to anyone's rules but his own.
 
“Cell is uncertain about the Super Saiyans and we must use that to our advantage” Trunks said, “My father, Goku, Gohan and I all must all try hard to surprise him”
 
Krillen was chuckling as he nodded at the purple haired saiyan, even I smiled until I noticed the look on Chi Chi's face. She stood up abruptly and scowled.
 
“Hold it right there. I have accepted the fact that Goku will be fighting in this tournament. But I refuse to allow Gohan to participate”
 
“Oh come on Aunt Chi Chi, we need him in this” I began, but she cut me off.
 
“Goku and I both decided on Gohan's future a long time ago, and he will not be joining up with their little gang!”
 
I suppressed a laugh as all the guys jaw's hit the floor in shock.
 
“What gang?” Chaotzu demanded.
 
“Can I join?” Master Roshi sniggered, pointing to himself eagerly.
 
“I understand that I am not your parent and you're an adult now Lani” Chi Chi continued, “Therefore I can't stop you from entering either. But I can say I'm not happy about it”
 
“I'm still going to fight Chi Chi, if I have too”
 
She nodded, “I thought you'd say something like that. Goku's influence no doubt…”
 
“You should all get plenty of rest while you wait” Bulma's mother insisted, “You can stay here if you want, we have plenty of guest rooms”
 
“I think I'll go wait up at the Lookout” I said, “Waiting around down here just makes me restless”
 
“When Goku and Gohan come out tell them to come straight to find me, ok” Chi Chi asked.
 
I nodded and turned to take off as the others went inside, but I caught Trunks' eye as I did and it made me stop for a second.
 
“Something wrong?” I asked.
 
He shook his head quickly and hurried inside. Vegeta must have had one hell of an influence on him, the young, hopeful air he'd once had was gone. Replaced by a cool, almost bitter exterior. I shrugged, jumping upwards and blasting through the air. It wasn't my problem, in under ten days we would have the fate of the planet on our very shoulders and I needed to focus on protecting my home.
 
So why did I feel strangely hollow…?
 
X
 
I swung my bare legs over from the side of my bed and stretched. I could tell it was going to be another hot day, so when I opened the capsule Bulma had given me I pulled on a simple pair of loose pants and a white tank top. There were nine days left before the Cell games so I didn't need to dress in preparation of a fight just yet.
 
I left the small room and made my way outside, noting the long shadows cast across the walls as I walked underneath the stone canopy. Odd, Piccolo wasn't the only energy up here… I rounded the corner and froze, Bulma and Trunks were here too and deep in conversation with Piccolo. Trunks was in a new set of saiyan armour and had had his hair cut back to its previous style. I found myself thinking he looked a lot better with it long…
 
Just then Piccolo turned and saw me, his face was inexpressive but Bulma paled at his side. I frowned deeply and walked towards them.
 
“What's going?”
 
None of them replied, and as usual Trunks avoided my gaze. I huffed and fixed him with a stare, “Where's mini-you?” I asked.
 
“Lani, there's something I need to tell you” Bulma said gently.
 
“Ohh…kay” I said, placing my hands on my hips.
 
“I received a message this morning, it traces back to almost two years ago. It's not very clear but…”
 
I raised my eyebrows, “Message from who?”
 
“Lani, it's from Shigeru”
 
My heart felt like it had missed a bear. I've had heard people say that they've felt their blood run cold and always thought it to be just an expression. But I felt as though my heart were pumping pure ice around my body at that moment, “Yeah?” I croaked.
 
At that point Piccolo stepped forward, looking down at me with something that almost looked like sympathy, “There's no easy way to say this. But it seems your friend was in an accident a few months after he left Earth… he didn't survive”
 
I felt a wave of nausea hit me and tried to push it down, refusing to believe what I'd just heard, I forced myself to speak, “But… how did he get a message to me then? And you said it wasn't clear Bulma, so you might have made a mistake”
 
“I don't think I did Lani, I still have the recording if you want to see for yourself but he knew he was in trouble. That message was his last transmition”
 
My tail was squeezing my waist so tightly I thought I might snap myself in two, I looked at the three and breathed in slowly.
 
“I have to go” I whispered, and took off before any of them could say anything.
 
X
 
The house was empty, so that meant Chi Chi was still at Bulma's or Kame House. I was thankful for that as I sat numbly atop of the roof, staring at nothing in particular.
 
Shigeru was dead.
 
He died two years ago, and I hadn't even known. Every night that I had stopped and wondered where he was… he was floating around in space, probably like a huge purple balloon.
 
I snorted at my own sick image, but soon the snort turned to a sob and a fresh wave of tears filled my eyes. But just like all the ones that had come before, I blinked them away. I was not going to cry, Shigeru could never stand tears, `a waste of good water' was what he used to tell me.
 
Somewhere to the east I felt a spark of energy moving towards me. For a moment I panicked, was it Cell? Was he bored with his wait already?
 
No, it wasn't Cell. Though part of me wished it was when I identified it as being Trunks. Beating the life out of some evil nasty, or even having it beaten from myself, appealed to me much more then dealing with Trunks' stoicism at the moment. But he already knew I was here and I'd be damned if I was going to let him chase me off.
 
I remained motionless when he landed on the grass in front of me and peered up to where I was sat. I refused to meet his eyes though and continued to stare straight ahead.
 
“Lani?” he said softly.
 
“I liked your hair better the other way” I said quickly. I wasn't sure why I said it, it was completely random. But I guess I just wanted to divert the conversation away from what he had come here to discuss.
 
“I'm sorry”
 
I laughed dryly, “It'll grow back”
 
“I meant-“
 
“I know, and I don't want to hear it” I snapped, my tail thumping on the roof behind me.
 
Trunks remained on the ground and began to look around, “You know, I didn't get a proper chance to see this place before. It's almost the same as in my time, when I used to visit Gohan”
 
I swallowed hard but didn't answer. Why wouldn't he just leave?
 
“You shouldn't bottle it up Lani”
 
I laughed then. A loud, cold laugh that came from somewhere deep within me. Somewhere I really didn't want to explore.
 
“Why not? Or did you come here to tell me you understand?”
 
Trunks' expression was unreadable, and it frustrated me to no end.
 
“What the hell do you want from me?” I barked, pushing myself off the roof to land in front of him, “Why are you here?”
 
“I wanted to make sure you were ok” His face finally changed as he spoke, no longer unreadable but filled with concern and… something else. Something I didn't want to see.
 
“Well I don't need your pity, I've been through a lot worse and just because he's gone it doesn't mean I won't be ok”
 
“I don't pity you”
 
“I can see it on your face Trunks! Why else would you be here anyway? Ever since we came to find you and Vegeta you've been acting so cold, when I thought-”
 
I stopped talking when I realised where I was going. I couldn't believe I'd almost lost control like that, I could feel the tears coming again but breathed deeply to push them away. I never lost control, I didn't have to cry and scream like a child anymore. I was stronger then that. But Trunks was stood in front of me, completely unfazed as I shouted at him and it just made me feel like I was crumbling inside.
 
“Leave me alone” I demanded.
 
“No”
 
I stared up at him, his blue eyes were fixed on my face and filled with determination.
 
“I know better then that. You think you're so in control of your emotions Lani, but you're not. Even Piccolo sees it, which is why he was so worried about telling you this now, with everything that's happening. He didn't want you doing anything reckless”
 
“Like what? What can I do huh? I'm just the poor little orphan being pitied by her own family. That's why they've let me train with them, why Goku took me in” I babbled, not even sure of what I was saying, “And I can't stand being treated like some helpless little-”
 
“I don't think you're helpless. I don't pity you and I don't think anyone else does either. But I do think you need to stop doing this to yourself” he interrupted.
 
“Doing what? You don't know me, you've been here less then two weeks-”
 
“And already I see it in your eyes. You're so… dead, Lani”
 
I glared at him, “Who are you to talk? Walking around like nothing can touch you. I think this is possibly the longest conversation we've had yet. And just for the record, I don't like it”
 
“I watch you, I watch everyone” he said calmly, stepping towards me, “I see what makes people work. You make jokes when thing's get tough and you back away, letting everyone else take over because you're afraid, aren't you?”
 
“You don't know what you're talking about” I said dangerously.
 
“You're afraid to let yourself feel”
 
In one solid movement I drew my fist back and thrust it into Trunks' stomach, “How does that feel?” I spat.
 
Trunks was doubled over, coughing and spluttering at the force of my blow, “You… think hurting me… will make a difference?”
 
I growled in frustration, turning away from him and twisting my clenched hands in my hair, “What does it matter if I bottle thing's up or not?”
 
“Because eventually it'll kill you” Trunks' straightened up, rubbing his stomach gingerly, “You'll push everyone away and all that'll be left is you and your own pain. Do you want to end up like my father?”
 
“I'm nothing like Vegeta” I protested.
 
“Not yet”
 
I let my arms fall to my sides limply but fixed Trunks with a steely glare, “So what do you want? Is this where I break down and cry, reveal all the painful details of my past and learn to move on?”
 
“No”
 
“Then what!” I shouted, “Because nothing I do is going to change anything Trunks. My past will never disappear, Shigeru will still be dead and I'll still be…”
 
His eyes were piercing my own, stopping me from thinking clearly.
 
“You'll still be what Lani?”
 
This wasn't fair. He couldn't just show up and start telling me these thing's. He had no right to assume he understood what it was like. He never could, not like Shigeru had. Not like anyone ever will again.
 
“I'll still be alone” I whispered, my voice cracking with grief. Trunks moved forward quickly and wrapped his arms around me as my legs gave way, the sobs finally breaking through and making my body shake uncontrollably.
 
“You're not alone” he whispered, “You're not”.
 
X
 
We were lying side by side on the roof of the Son household. The sun beamed down relentlessly even though my mood called for a black thunderous sky and harsh rain.
 
“Why wouldn't you look at me?” I said softly to the man at my side.
 
“I did. But only when you weren't looking at me”
 
“Why?”
 
Trunks sat up abruptly, his back hunched as he stared down at his boots, “Because I like you”
 
I snorted, “I think you should have a talk with Master Roshi, when a guy likes a girl they usually ogle them like there's no tomorrow”
 
“That's exactly why” he said quietly, “Because there is no tomorrow, not for us”
 
I pushed myself up onto my elbows at his words, “What do you mean?”
 
“When this is over, I'll be going back to my own time again. And I won't be coming back”
 
I nodded slowly, “I never really thought about that…”
 
“I thought if I stayed away from you then it might make thing's easier when I go back” he explained.
 
“Couldn't you have just said so?”
 
“I didn't think you cared”
 
I breathed in sharply, “Because I'm so `dead'”
 
He twisted to look at me, his brow creased with a frown, “You make jokes and you just flounce through everything like it's all so easy for you. I didn't realise until today that you were just trying to survive”
 
“It's the only way I know how to” I admitted, “If I spent every waking minute feeling sorry for myself for the thing's that have happened to me then I'd just be consumed by my own pain. Look at Vegeta, he spends all his time trying to outdo Goku instead of living for himself”
 
“What about you, do you live for yourself?”
 
I looked up into his eyes, the perfect mix of his parents. Sky blue like Bulma's but shaped like his father's, “I just live” I replied flatly.
 
Silence filled the air once more, there was little else to be said. Or so I thought.
 
“I really want to kiss you” Trunks said almost inaudibly, “But I don't want to hurt you”
 
I stared at the back of his head, thoroughly confused. He likes me but he wants to stay away from me, he wants to kiss me but he doesn't want me.
 
“It's not the kiss that'll hurt me” I said shakily.
 
He was still facing away from me with his eyes fixed firmly on his boots. I sat up slowly, placing myself on my knee's behind him. Steadily I reached out, placing my hands on his shoulders. I could feel his body tense at my touch, the muscles twitching beneath my fingers. I moved my arms down and around his waist where I let them rest, holding him tightly as I bent my head to lay on his back.
 
“I think it's already too late for us to worry about getting hurt”
 
X
 
 
Disclaimer: I own no rights to the series Dragonball Z or its characters/places. Copyright to Akira Toriyama.