Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Forever and a Day ❯ All Good Things ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN : So here's the newest chap. It skips ahead of the old one by about two years (Goten and Bura were 16 in the last one, now they're 18).

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

Chapter 2 - All Good Things

Bura smiled, pleased with herself. She had just got accepted into yet another ivy league university and was quite amused that all of them seemed to be begging her to attend their schools. Guess being a Briefs does have it's advantages, she thought, grinning from ear to ear.

She tossed the letter onto the kitchen table and made her way up to her room. She had no interest in going to a school far from home. She wanted to near with her families and friends for company and in case anything happened.

It was late in the evening on Friday and the house was completely silent - Trunks had moved out the year before when he went to college, Bulma was at work, and Vegeta was in the gravity chamber. Not really wanting to bother any of her friends, she decided to just stay at home and relax.

Opening the door to her room, she was startled to see a bouquet of white roses on her desk. Smiling, she walked over to them, and breathed in their enticing scent. Mmm, my favorite, she thought to herself, still smiling. She noticed a card on the desk and picked it up.

"Hope you have a wonderful evening, See you soon, Goten," she read out loud. "Aww, he's such a sweetie," she said, breathing in the smell of the flowers again. I'll give him this, he knows how to treat a girl, she thought.

She and Goten had been dating each other since that fateful day a couple of years ago. The next morning, she hadn't had the heart to tell him she didn't want anything serious. She still didn't want anything that would last forever, but he was a great boyfriend for now.

The two did make a cute couple, or so Marron always said. Marron was the only one who knew about the two dating, and neither Bura nor Goten had intended her to find out. She had walked in on the two kissing, and Bura had to do some quick explaining to keep her friend from telling Trunks.

Bura knew for a fact that Trunks wouldn't approve of her relationship with Goten, for a variety of reasons. First of all, he was a good older brother in the sense that he would protect his sister from any guy, no matter who they were. He'd be afraid that Goten would hurt her and wouldn't trust him. Second of all, he knew Bura too well, and therefore knew she wasn't interested in a long term commitment of any kind. It would only take him one conversation with Goten to find out that his friend was serious about dating his sister, and one look at Bura to know she wasn't half as interested.

He wouldn't want Goten to hurt me or me to hurt him. . . she thought, sighing. But keeping their relationship wasn't going to prevent one of them from getting hurt, she knew that. It was only a matter of time until he found out she didn't love him. . .

Yet she still forced Goten to remain silent on the issue. She didn't want anyone to know about them for one much more dangerous reason. Her father. Far too overprotective of his only daughter, any boy she brought home would be in mortal danger, let alone the youngest son of his lifelong rival. Vegeta would attack Goten without giving it a second thought, and probably leave him mortally wounded. Even if she didn't love Goten, Bura didn't want to see him hurt like that, least of all because of her.

She did feel something for Goten, even she couldn't deny that, but it was more a sort of mild affection and the occasional overwhelming lust than love. She did enjoy his company, and he was a great friend and caring boyfriend. . . But it still wasn't enough to be considered love.

Then again, there were times when she would look into his eyes and just melt. When she could be dragged out of the worst moods by just the thought of him. When his voice was enough to make her happier than she ever thought she could be.

This is crazy, I can't love him, she told herself firmly. He's just my boyfriend. It's just a temporary thing. I don't need him.

"At least I hope I don't," she said, flopping down onto her bed.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

"Stupid, arrogant little. . ." muttered Bura under her breath as she walked sulkily to her room the next afternoon. She had had plans to go the mall with Marron, but Trunks had decided today was the perfect day to go on a romantic picnic for two. And so Marron had, once again, ditched Bura to go out on a date.

"Make him pay. . . Damn aitsu. . ." she said as she opened the door to her room.

"Talking to yourself is the first sign."

She froze for a second until she realized who had spoken to her. Smiling warmly, she walked over to the other demi-Saiyan sitting on her bed. "Hey," she said, lying down next to him and kissing him on the cheek.

"Hey gorgeous," he said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Son Goten, what on earth are you doing in my room?" she said with mock anger.

"Well, you see. . ." he said, pulling an envelope out of his back pocket. "I have some good news that I wanted to share with you. . ."

She raised an eyebrow and sat up, wondering what good news could possibly come out of the envelope. He offered it to her and she reluctantly accepted it. Slowly she removed the letter and skimmed its contents, a smile spreading over her face the more and more she read, until she found what she was looking for.

"This is to announce that Son Goten has been accepted. . . Full scholarship. . . "

"You got in!" she squealed, tackling him in a big bear hug.

"Yep!" he said, completely enjoying all the attention he was getting from the blue haired angle.

"I can't believe it!! I'm so happy for you!" she said, giving him another quick hug before pulling away, beaming. "Now we can both go there together!"

"Yeah," he said, the grin still on his face. "I was thinking. . . Maybe we could. . . Go out for dinner to celebrate. My treat."

Bura frowned a bit. "Yeah, we can go out for dinner, but it'll have to be an early dinner. If I'm out too late-"

"Ugh," he growled as he got up from the bed. He had been expecting a reply like this. "Why can't we just tell them? I mean, we've been together for two years. . . If your dad and Trunks really care about you they'll just want you to be happy!"

She rolled her eyes. They'd had this conversation before. "It's not that simple," she started, choosing her words carefully. Daddy is. . . Overprotective of me. Plus he isn't overly fond of your family. . . And Trunks would see it as a betrayal. And. . . Well, I don't want to see them hurt you."

"I'm stronger than you think," he mumbled, but backed off.

"Dinner sounds good, pick me up in an hour."

He smiled, already forgetting their argument. "Okay, great! There's this new place, really fancy, you'll love it." He kissed her on her cheek. "See you then." And then he was gone.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

It was a beautiful restaurant, definitely high in class and with food that was well worth the price. They had finished dinner and were now waiting for dessert.

Bura was wearing a form-fitting black strapless dress that went to the floor, and her hair was held back by a couple of well placed pins. She looks more beautiful than usual, Goten thought, smiling at the splendor in front of him.

She caught his eye, smiled slightly, then said, "Truth or dare?"

Taken slightly aback, he answered. "Truth."

Her smile widened. "What were you just thinking of."

"I was just thinking how beautiful you look tonight. . ." he said, blushing. He saw the pleased look on her face and decided to play as well. "Your turn. Truth or dare?"

"Dare," she said, looking at him with an expression that told him she'd do anything he asked.

Now smiling himself, he said, "Fine, I dare you to pick truth next time."

She opened her mouth in shock, having expected anything but that. "Fine," she said, pouting slightly. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Alright," she said, thinking of something good to ask. "Let's see. . . Okay, I've got one. What do you plan on majoring in? You still haven't told me. . ."

Goten shifted slightly in his seat. "Well. . . I want to become a lawyer, so. . ." He blushed profusely and started stammering, "You. . . You can't. . . Don't tell anyone. . . I mean, it's no big deal, so please-"

"Don't worry, I won't tell a soul," she said, giggling slightly. She knew Trunks would probably tease Goten about his choice in majors, and figured that she shouldn't be the one to start it.

"Well, then, truth or dare?" he asked quickly, trying to get over his embarrassment.

"Guess I'm stuck with truth," she said, crossing her arms and waiting for her question. Please don't ask me to hurt you. . . she silently pleaded, knowing that she wouldn't lie.

He paused, as if deciding whether or not he should ask what was on his mind. He looked at her nervously and she did her best not to flinch under his scrutinizing gaze. "Doyouloveme?" he whispered.

"What. . ." she asked, feeling the color drain from her face. Oh no. . .

"Do you love me?" he whispered again, though slightly louder.

She opened her mouth but quickly closed it, searching desperately for the right words. Bura knew things weren't looking good as the seconds drew on into minutes. She was running out of time-

"Excuse me, sorry it took so long to get you these!" said the waitress as she placed the elaborately decorated desserts in on the table.

"Thanks," Bura mumbled as she quickly began to eat. The rest of the meal was eaten in silence and they didn't even look at each other as Goten flew Bura home. Bura had never been more relieved to be home.

She knew that her silence was worse than any lie she could've said, but she knew she couldn't have lied to him about this. "I'm sorry," she said as they landed.

"Don't worry about it," he said and immediately took off.

Sighing, she went into her room. Dammit, I knew it was only a matter of time until he got hurt. . . She pulled off her dress and slipped into her pajamas. If only he hadn't asked me that. . .

She sighed again and sat down at her desk, looking at the roses he had sent her only yesterday. "It's my fault for leading him on, you know," she told the flowers. "He never lied about loving me. . . I knew from the start I didn't love him. . . Shouldn't be surprised that this happened. . ."

She looked at the pile of college acceptance letters piled onto the corner of her desk. ". . . And I'll have to see him all the time. We'll have classes together, he's good friends with Trunks and Marron. . . Oh man, that'll be really awkward. Don't know how I'm going to handle it. . . And what if he wants to talk to me about what happened!? I can't avoid him forever."

A thought occurred to her as she continued to look at the letters. Slowly, she rummaged through them until she found the one she was looking for. It was to a small college overseas that she had been interested in. It was in a good area, was near a small branch of Capsule Corps, and the school specialized in business and medical majors, both of which she planned on taking. She had been accepted with full scholarship because of her academic abilities, and she could easily acquire a job at Capsule Corps. . .

"Maybe I don't have to avoid him forever," she said as she looked through for number to contact the Dean of Admissions. "I could, well, just go off for a semester or two. That'd give Goten time to get over me, and me time to be off on my own for the first time. . . And I could leave immediately with no big fuss if I just talk to Mom about it. . ."

She frowned slightly, knowing her Mother wouldn't approve of running away. "Well, Daddy'll help me," she said, deciding that getting away would be for the best. She bit her lip, worrying that Trunks would want to know why she had suddenly changed her plans. "I won't be able to keep my ki suppressed forever," she mumbled, but the shrugged off the inconvenience. "Shouldn't take me long to rig up a ki-suppressor or something."

And so she started packing, hoping to leave first thing in the morning.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

It was late afternoon the next day and Goten was at Marron's city apartment. He needed to talk to someone about what had happened to Bura, and his choices were quite limited. He had initially planned to talk to Gohan, but that hadn't gone over too well.

"Hey Gohan, can you give me some advice?"

"Sure," Gohan replied cautiously, eyeing his brother. "What about?"

"Women."

"Ah," Gohan said, inwardly laughing.

"Well, there's this girl," Goten said nervously. "She's beautiful, she's smart, she's. . . perfect."

Gohan snorted slightly. "Aren't they all? This one giving you trouble."

"Well. . . I think I love her, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't feel the same way."

"Who's the girl?"

"I. . . Don't think I should say."

"C'mon, I'm your big brother, you can trust me not to tell anyone," Gohan said, laughing slightly and beginning to take a sip of his coffee.

"It's Bura," Goten muttered.

"What!?" Gohan asked, spitting out his coffee. "You're. . . You're kidding!!!"

"No," Goten said, sighing.

"Bura. . . Vegeta and Bulma's Bura!?"

"Yes," Goten said, exasperated.

"Oh man, I've only got one piece of advice for you then. Don't get involved with her. Any girl but her."

"What!? Why?"

"Nice girl, but her family. . . You're not exactly Vegeta's favorite person. He won't be overly amused at the prospect of his blood mixing with Dad's."

"I know, but-"

"I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear. But don't. Don't start dating her, just stay friends with her. Girl like that'll break your heart. . ."

"So she didn't say anything!?" Marron asked after Goten had told her what had happened.

"No. . ."

"Aw, Goten, I'm so sorry," she said, giving him a quick hug. "Though. . . I can't say I'm overly surprised. . ."

"Why not?!"

"Please don't take it the wrong way. . . It's just. . . Bura is a great person, but. . . She has issues with commitment and trust. I don't know why, but. . . Anyway, even if she did love you. . . She probably wouldn't admit it."

"What?"

"Well, like I said, she has problems with trust. You've told her you love her. Well, maybe she doesn't believe you and didn't want to make herself vulnerable. . ."

"I doubt it. . ."

"You should talk to her."

"And say what!?" Goten demanded, annoyed with the entire situation.

"I don't know, but if you don't say something, she might-"

The door to the apartment opened and Trunks came in, looking disgruntled. "Hey guys," he mumbled, not looking at either of them.

"What?" Marron asked, looking concerned.

"Bura."

"Did something happen to her?" Goten asked, worry filling his voice.

"I don't know. Probably not." He sat in a chair and scowled. "She left this morning. Don't know where she went. I couldn't find her ki. Mom was freaking out, but Dad was calm. If she had run away or something had happened, he would've been mad. I think whatever happened, she told him she was going. Hell, he probably even helped her leave. . ."

"So she's gone?" Goten asked, desperately praying that his friend was just making this up.

"Yeah. . . She left a note saying something about needing to get away. . . No reason or further explanation. . ." After a few minutes of silence, Trunks got up. "I have to get to class. See you guys later," and with that he stormed out of the apartment.

Goten, looking pale, was staring in front of him. "Are you okay?" Marron asked, worried that he'd do something stupid.

"I have to go look for her."

"Goten, don't be silly, she's fine, she just-" but he had already left.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

AN : . . . Not what I had planned, sorry for the overall suckiness of this chapter. But hey, it's an update.var PUpage="76001074"; var PUprop="geocities"; var yviContents='http://us.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=76001074&l=NE&b=1& amp;t=1057942772';yviR='us';yfiEA(0); geovisit();