Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Forever and a Day ❯ It Starts ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1 - It Starts

Bura yawned and stretched as she walked towards the kitchen. Her hair was a mess and her p.j.s had wrinkles in them, but she didn't care. Who's gonna see me, anyway?

"Hey Bura-chan!" called a familiar voice as she entered the kitchen. She froze mid-stretch as she tried to place the voice.

"Nani!?" she yelled, trying to compose herself. "Goten! What are you doing here this early!?" It was 10 a.m. on a Saturday morning, way too early to have guests over.

He just smiled, inwardly laughing at her embarrassment. "Didn't mean to startle you. Trunks and I were supposed to go to out for lunch, but he, er. . . got a little distracted," he said, motioning towards the window that faced the backyard. Bura looked out and laughed as she saw her brother looking really awkward as he talked to Marron.

"Heh, figures." She walked over to the cupboards and pulled out a mug and poured herself some of the remaining coffee. Goten looked quizzically at her.

"Aren't you a little young to need that?"

She shrugged. "Yeah. It's just something to drink while I get breakfast ready. I can make you some too, if you want."

He smiled brightly. "Do you even have to ask?" She nodded slightly as she pulled out the ingredients to make pancakes. While the food was cooking, she sat down at the table across from Goten and stared into space.

"Bura-chan?"

"Mmm?" she said, not really paying attention.

Oh, nothing, just wanted to know if you'd marry me. . . Nothing too important. . . Not like I'll ever ask you that. . . "Uh, I was just wondering if you could help me with some school stuff. . . We're in the same math class, ne? I just don't get some of the stuff, though. . . I don't really want to ask Gohan or Trunks for help, though, 'cuz they'd either make fun of me or not explain it right. . ."

"Okay, I'll help you. . . but not until later today."

Why not just tell her you think you love her and let her tear out your heart now and get it over with. Like she'd ever give you a second glance.

"Goten, you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Bura."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

Goten was flying towards the Capsule Corps complex for the second time that day. It was nearly seven and he was running late on his and Bura's study session. He felt something for Bura, and had since he could remember, so, needless to say, he was happy that the two of them would be able to spend some time together without interference. Even if all they would do is study.

Why do I do this to myself? he asked himself. Bura's too good for me. . . I'd never stand a chance. She's perfect! Geez, she's rich, smart, beautiful, kind. . . Okay, this isn't helping. She's my friend, I have to stop thinking about her like this. It's not even love - I'm sure of that. It's just. . . an overly annoying crush. Yeah. . . I mean, if anything ever were to happen, Vegeta and Trunks would, well, kill me. Definitely don't need that. So just calm down. She'll never look at you like that anyway.

He dropped down onto the balcony outside of Bura's room. She had offered to help him with his math homework, which he didn't really need help with. He had only asked because Goten had been too scared to ask anything else. I'm such an idiot.

He knocked lightly on the balcony doors, and after a few minutes of silence, decided to try the door knob. Luckily, it was unlocked.

"Bura-chan?" he asked as he stepped into her room, afraid she had forgotten about their study-date.

The lights in the room were dimmed and the radio was on, though barely audible. Goten stepped fully into the room and closed the doors behind him. Immediately he was assaulted by her scent; her perfume lingered in the air and her pheromones were everywhere. He took a minute to breathe in her lucious scent, wishing he could get closer it its source. . .

"No. . ." muttered someone from the otherside of the room. His eyes quickly adjusted to the lighting as he moved deeper into the room. At her desk, slouched over an open textbook, was Bura, sleeping. "Stop. . ." she said, her face frowning.

Goten walked over, putting his books on her bed as he passed it by, and started gently shaking Bura's shoulders. "Bura-chan? Wake-up-"

The moment he touched her, her ki level shot through the roof. He quickly pulled his arm away, not sure what was going on. "STOP!" she screamed as she woke up with a start. She was sweating and breathing heavily. Slowly, she seemed to realize where she was and looked around.

"Goten!" she said, surprised. ". . . What's-"

"I think you were having a nightmare."

She nodded, her brain trying to think. "Yeah. . . It's nothing. . ." She tried to smile to show she was okay, but the gesture only showed her unease. "Um. . ."

"You said you'd help me study," he filled in for her, figuring she had forgotten afterall.

"Right, right, sorry," she said, getting up and flicking the light switch on. She started rummaging through her desk, searching for her notes. "I must've fallen asleep. . . Gomen. . ."

"No need to apologize."

She smiled a genuine smile. Goten has always been so nice. . .

Her smile faded as she remembered her dream. She couldn't remember anything definite, but she knew she'd had the dream before. It had been occurring more frequently lately, and she was able to remember more and more each time she had it. Every time, someone was chasing her, and caught her. . . And whenever she'd try to fight, he'd over power her. All she could remember from her latest dream was his eyes. . . staring at her. . .

She jumped slightly as Goten placed a hand on her shoulder. "Sorry," he muttered, moving it. "You just. . . seemed out of it. . ."

Bura nodded lightly, throwing some books and papers onto her bed and closing the desk drawer. "It's no big deal," she muttered, pulling herself onto the bed and setting up the tutoring session.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

They had been working for about an hour. Goten didn't seem to be having much trouble with any of the work, but Bura wasn't putting enough of herself into helping him to realize it. She yawned slightly, exhausted. She looked up at Goten to see him frowning at her.

"If you're tired, you can just say so. I don't think I need anymore help with this."

She shook her head. "I'm fine! C'mon, let's get this-"

"If you don't mind me asking. . . What was your dream about?"

She froze. "It was. . . nothing. C'mon, we should finish with this chapter-"

"You were really out of it. It must've been bad. . . If you want to talk about it-"

"It's nothing. I have that dream sometimes and it doesn't really bother me anymore, so let's just get back to work-"

"You've had the dream before?" his voice filled with more concern than he had meant it to.

Why does he care so much. . . "It's just a dream, Goten. It's no big deal. You're making it sound worse than it is. Quite frankly, I'd just as soon forget it ever happened than worry about it!" With that she got up and walked towards the balcony doors, preparing to open them and send Goten home.

Someone grabbed her hand before she could turn the handle. "I'm sorry," he said, right behind her. He was so close she could feel his breath on the back of her neck. He released her hand and began stroking her shoulder lightly. "I just wanted to let you know you could talk to me about it, if you needed to."

Bura closed her eyes, letting the moment sink in. His touch was so gentle and warm that she wanted more, and his voice was filled with such concern for her. "Goten," she whispered.

Kami, she smells good, he thought as he took another step closer. He gently rubbed his cheek against her hair and put his other arm around her waist. She let out a small gasp as he began pulling her towards him.

"Stop," she said, voice quivering.

I want her so badly. . .

"Please. . ."

He instantly let her go and took several steps back. He saw how badly she was shaking, how much he had scared her. "I'm sorry. . ." he said, backing up further. He could hear her heart pounding and each sharp breath she took was like a slap in the face to him. He had terrified her.

Slowly, she turned around, wondering what had gotten into him. "Goten-" but she couldn't finish as she saw how upset he was. He had his eyes on the ground, not even looking in her direction. She took a step towards him and he took one back. She frowned, then moved closer. He continued backing up until he got the bed and then sat on it.

I can't look at her. . . She'll hate me. . . I scared her. . .

"Goten," she tried again, sitting next to him. She put her arms around him to try and comfort him. "You. . . didn't do anything wrong." He still wouldn't look at her. "Nothing happened, there's no reason to be upset." He didn't even react to her words. Why won't he look at me?

She put her hand under his chin and turned his head so that he was facing her. His eyes still didn't look at her. "Goten, look at me." After a few minutes he was still looking away. "Please," she whispered. Slowly, his eyes turned to look into hers. She gasped and her heart skipped a beat. He looks so. . . scared. . . So. . . ashamed. . .

He just continued to look at her, confusion starting to take the place of his fear. Why isn't she saying anything. . .

His eyes were staring intently at her, trying to figure out what she was now unable to say. Finally, she spoke. "Goten. . . you don't have to be upset, you didn't do anything wrong. You just. . . took me by surprise. That's all. . ."

"You were terrified."

"Was I?" She knew she had been. His closeness had reminded her of her nightmare earlier. She knew it was just Goten, trying to comfort her, but at the time, it was a painful reminder of the dreams she couldn't escape. She hadn't had one in a while, that's why it was so bad having one now.

And maybe you were scared that you'd actual enjoy his company. . . a part of her said.

Why would I be scared? It's Goten, he's too sweet to hurt me. It was just the dream, it threw me off.

No it didn't. You know he wants you, at least you do now. You were only scared because you didn't want to admit you might just want him, too.

Shut up. I don't like Goten that way. He's just a friend. He was just trying to make me feel better. He didn't want anything more.

Then why is he so hurt that you pushed him away?

. . .

"Was I scared?" she repeated.

"Yes. . ." He leaned in closer to her, trying to see into her head. Why was she so scared. . . Why didn't she send me away? The conflicting signals were driving him crazy. First she says no, now she's doing her best to make me feel better. . . Which is it?

Her hand moved from his chin to his cheek, stroking it slightly. He took this as encouragement and moved closer to her yet again. His hand moved through her hair, then to her shoulder and down her arm. When he reached her hand, he moved it back up again. His touch sent chills through her body. She now moved her hand behind his neck and pulled his head closer. Their faces were now only millimeters apart.

"I should leave," Goten said after some time, and started to pull away.

"No!" He froze.

". . . You want me to stay?"

She nodded slightly, pulling him close. She rested her head on his shoulder and put her arms around him. Bura could hear his heart pounding. He does want me. . . Soon, his arms were around her, keeping her close.

Goten was somewhat surprised at this abrupt change in behavior. Minutes ago, his touch had caused fear in her, and know she wanted him to stay. Don't question it, his darker side told him. You have the perfect opportunity to take her.

Bura also noticed the change in her attitude, but figured she could work it out later. All she needed to know right now was that he wanted her. She didn't really want to think about if she wanted him or not.

She pulled away slightly and looked him in the eyes. "Stay for the night," she said as she kissed him.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

She was running through the forest, going as deep into it as she possibly could. She needed to escape. But he was gaining on her. She tripped slightly and started to fall, but he grabbed her and kept her from falling. . .

BAM! He slammed her into a rock after she had tried to escape. He was so much stronger than her. . . She tried to scream but her throat was too dry. No one was there to listen, anyway.

"Stop running."

"No. . ." She still couldn't make out his features.

"What are you so scared of?" He was pressing into her.

"Stop. . ."

"Why. . ."

"STOP!"

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*

Her eyes shot open, but she couldn't see. The room was too dark. She was silent, trying to understand where she was and what had happened. Then, she felt the arms wrapped around her waist. She started to panic, afraid that she was still in her dream, but the arms didn't loosen their hold on her. Eventually, she was too tired to fight. Instead, she decided to turn around and face her captor.

"Goten. . ." she breathed as she saw his face. His arms were still around her, holding her protectively. His expression was completely relaxed and. . . content. She touched his cheek lightly and he smiled, pulling her closer. Slowly, Bura started to remember what had happened before she had fallen asleep.

She smiled slightly, already fond of the memory. He had been so gentle. And she remembered they had both been too tired to do anything else but sleep afterwards. She ran her fingers through his hair. But then she remembered something else, something that now made her uncomfortable.

"I love you. . ."

Did he really say that? It was the last thing she remembered hearing before she fell asleep. She had only really wanted this to be a one-time thing, but now she was afraid she had given him the wrong impression. He had never hurt her, and she didn't want to hurt him.

"I can't love you," she whispered as he slept. "I'm sorry. . ." His sleeping form didn't react.

How she loved the feeling of being in his arms. But I can't love you, Goten. I'm so sorry. . . It would never work. And I don't want to get connected to someone I'll never be with. I don't want to get attached to a way of life I can never keep. . .

Goten muttered something in his sleep. I should leave. . . she thought, but couldn't will herself to part from him. "Look what you do to me," she sighed. "One night and already I can't bear to be away from you. . ."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*var PUpage="76001074"; var PUprop="geocities"; var yviContents='http://us.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=76001074&l=NE&b=1& amp;t=1057942673';yviR='us';yfiEA(0); geovisit();