Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Innocence Reborn ❯ Not Wanting to Believe ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Innocence Reborn

Disclaimer: The usual stuff--neither me or Aura own DBZ, would be pointless to sue, our fic---everything that has been said a million times over. I don't even own the picture of Piccolo that is hiding somewhere in a drawer in my room. : )

Kaeli's Note: Hi everybody! Here I am, doing another chapter of this fic. ^_^ Things are going smoothly, so hope you are enjoying it so far. We here at Kaeli and Aura Industries have been working hard to bring you hand-made chapters, which are baked fresh just for you. Enjoy your new chapter!

Chapter Fourteen: Not Wanting to Believe

It seemed like the rest of the day had dragged on forever, but when the sun finally set that day, it marked the end of a day that he would not forget. Now, as Piccolo flew in the middle of Goku and Gohan, he looked back at the already disappeared and shadowy outline of Kami's Tower. It seemed so long ago that the trio of warriors had arrived there just to use the Room of Spirit and Time to train only to find out that Kami was affected by more then just the usual old age.

The wish was now turning into something far greater then what Gohan, or anyone else, had imagined. Had he thought something like this was going to happen to both Piccolo and Kami, then he would have never made the wish in the first place. But, it was something that no one could foresee; even the one that watched over the planet for so many years could not seen this coming. If he had, things would have been a little different then they were now.

The Namek Dragon Balls weren't as helpful as Goku had thought they would be. Luckily, the Namek year was much shorter then that of an Earth year, so that cut at least several months off of a already seemingly long time. Even so, if Kami and Piccolo couldn't hang on until either set of Dragon Balls could regenerate, then the idea of bringing Piccolo back to his normal self would be hopeless. At least, in Piccolo's view. He did not know exactly how the Dragon Balls worked, so he couldn't be sure what they did. Rather, he couldn't remember what kind of powers these things could have.

The two Saiyans and the transformed Namek had been quite silent for the most part on their way back to the Son household, no one knowing what to say to each other. Not only was the lingering affects of the wish on their minds, but the thought of returning back to an angry Chi-Chi didn't help their moods. All three knew what would happen if they crossed the woman's path, having done so several times before. However, this was a little bit different since they probably missed several meals, came home after dark, already ate enough food to last two families each six months, worried Chi-Chi to death (again), and studying hadn't been done. Just thinking about the Wraith of Chi-Chi made Goku and Gohan shudder.

But Piccolo wasn't worried about what Chi-Chi would do to them as they descended onto the ground in front of the Son house a few moments later, the door slamming open as Chi-Chi stormed out carrying what looked like an over-sized frying pan. The Namek ignored her rants for the most part, looking up at the cloud-less sky. He sighed, wondering what would happen to him if something would happen to Kami. If Kami died, wouldn't he die as well? It was a horrible thought to think at this moment, but it wasn't something he could push out of his mind right now. Death, it looked like, seemed more probable then anything else right now.

It was a half hour before Chi-Chi screamed her voice hoarse and by that time, Goku was looking more like an innocent child that had his desert taken away then anything else at this time. He was thankful that his wife only used the extra-large frying pan as something to wave around and show off rather then use it to smack the living daylights out of him. After she had stormed back into the house, the remaining three stood there in silence, letting the effects of the shouting run through them. The worst part of coming home was finally over with as they made their way into the house themselves, ready for bed or whatever Chi-Chi had in mind for them.

Even after they entered the house and went to their respected rooms with soft goodnights, Piccolo remained deep in his thoughts without speaking. Somehow, everything that he had seen in his visions and dreams didn't seem real no matter what Kami had told him. No matter what these images were, he hated every last one of them. People had died because of what he once was or, rather, what the person before him once was. It wasn't him. There were no solid facts that he had actually done anything to harm anyone else on this planet or other ones. Until he saw it himself, he wasn't going to believe the majority of what he had heard in the last few hours.

"Piccolo, are you okay?" Gohan asked softly when he had moved underneath the blankets of his bed. Piccolo had put himself by the window, his knees curled up by his chest as he sat there, staring out into the wilderness that was the backyard. The Namek didn't say anything for a moment, letting everything he had been told that day absorb somewhat into his mind.

"I'm okay. I just don't know what to make of all of this," He said finally, taking in a sigh. "I don't know what to believe any more. On one hand, I am just a kid who doesn't remember who he is while on the other hand, I am some reformed bad guy who has his father's memories and was the subject of a seemingly innocent wish that is turning out wrong. I just don't understand anything anymore."

"I can't say that I know how you feel, Piccolo, because I don't. If I had known what the wish would have done, then I wouldn't have done it. I just wanted to give you a second chance on life as a child without the memories of what had happened before. I didn't think it would lead to this."

"See, that is the problem with that logic, Gohan. No matter how innocent that wish was, you didn't think. You need to know what the situation is going to call for, good or bad. If you don't think ahead, then don't bother doing anything."

"Piccolo, I didn't mean...."

"Forget it, Gohan. It has been done already. I am either going to die because I am linked to Kami and the wish is affecting him worse then me or these Androids are going to do that anyways. I don't have a lot of choices, do I?"

Before Gohan could answer him, Piccolo rose up from his sitting position and opened the windows. The cool night breeze filtered in, ruffling Gohan's hair. The Saiyan watched his friend stand at the open window, waiting for something to happen. It was like he was trying to decide if he should stay in a place where he knew he was going to be safe or take the chance in the wilderness where he assumed he knew nothing of.

"Gohan, please don't come after me this time. I--I just want to think things through for a while, okay? I'll return in the morning," The Namek said in a soft voice turning his head over his shoulder. For a single moment, Gohan thought this was his mentor, the one that had taught him so much. The way that he was speaking, the way that he looked, and the decision to do something all seemed too real to be true. As soon as Piccolo turned his head forwards, the image of what he once was shattered and all that remained was the child-like figure jumping out of the window and into the night.

Gohan moved softly out of his bed to the open window, watching Piccolo walk away. He was tempted to run after him to pull him back into the room, but a tugging at his heart told him to stay back. If Piccolo had to think things through, then he had to think things through on his own ground, even if it meant the slight possibility that he wouldn't be coming back when he said he would be.

"Be safe, Piccolo," The small Saiyan said in a soft voice before closing the window. The outline of Piccolo was fading slowly as the Namek made his way deeper into the wilderness, unsure of what he was and fearful of what he might become.

****

It was hard to sleep after the day had passed and the events were starting to wear off. Everything was starting to slow down for the night, people moving into a slumber so that they could wake with the morning light. The night creatures were beginning to stir, waking to a new night where they could hunt for their food without worry of the creatures of the day hunting them. It was a nice ending to a hectic day, no matter what had happened during the light hours.

Kami knew this all too well as he sat up in his bed, his back leaning up against the many pillows that were behind him. He had his eyes closed, his hands resting upon his lap as he sat there, lightly sleeping in case something happened that he needed to wake up with a start. Of course, even if he wanted to, he couldn't get up to look over the edge of the Lookout to see what was wrong down below. He would most likely be stopped by Mr. Popo and forced back into bed without second thought.

The Guardian didn't like the idea of spending the majority of his time in bed when there was a planet beneath him to look out after. There were people that needed watching over no matter how little they needed to be watched after. There was a handful of creatures that barely even needed to be looked over, having themselves saved the Earth several times in the last couple of decades. However, it was his job to gaze down at the Earth, no matter what his condition or how serious it was.

He sighed, opening his eyes to look straight ahead at the wall. He didn't feel like sleeping that night, having done so already earlier. Numerous books had been stacked neatly by his bedside, in ease reach of the Namek's hands so that he would be able to read them if he got bored of doing nothing. Those books hadn't even been touched since they had been brought there, his instinct telling him that he needed to be doing something else rather then being in bed.

It wasn't like he couldn't do his job. Kami didn't feel as weak as he had done earlier, having rested for a long period of time that day. If he could take everything more slowly then he did before, then he would be able to do it. But, he knew Mr. Popo wouldn't have any of it, saying that the Namek would have to wait until either set of Dragon Balls power to be regenerated and restored to their original glory.

Just how long that would be made him shudder although it wasn't cold inside his room. Kami knew that it would be at least several months before one set would be even considered useable. Then there was the fact that either Goku, Gohan, or both had to collect the Dragon Balls, which would take even more time then expected. If the Saiyans were smart enough, and the Namek Dragon Balls weren't used again until they needed them, then they could collect them before the day that they needed them, which would probably mean that everything would be fine. They wouldn't have to worry about collecting the Earth's Dragon Balls until the time that the starred orbs were needed again.

Of course, something would probably go wrong on New Namek, therefore prolonging the time that the wish to bring back Piccolo could be done. Kami just hoped that nothing did go wrong, his mind drifting back into boredom.

****

Piccolo didn't know where he was going exactly, but it was better then going to the Son household or the Lookout. Even if he did, he didn't know where he was going to end up after his walk through the wilderness that surrounded the house in which he had came from. Still, it was nice to be out in the open air, without anyone to tell him what to do or where he had to go to next. The sounds and movements of the night seemed to calm him slightly, but it wasn't enough to take his mind off of what had happened that day.

What exactly had happened that day? Or, rather, in the last couple of months? There were so many things he had to learn and try to remember that his head was spinning around in circles. The small Namek still didn't know what to believe. Was he truly who Kami and everyone else said he was or something else? The spawn of an evil monster that had terrorized people ago and then reformed to join the good side? If he was just that, why were the others so nice to him? Were they afraid that he would snap and go back to what he once was? That is, if he was something like that monster they said he was.

He had walked several miles already, now at a point where the Son homestead looked more faraway then it had been several minutes ago. His legs took him farther away from the safety of the home, putting him into the depths of the night in which he did not remember. There was nothing to tell him how to get back, so that feat would have to be something of a miracle to him. Or Goku and Gohan would come looking for him again, both probably hoping that nothing bad had happened.

Piccolo stopped walking, his eyes roaming the area he was at. There were eerie shadows dancing along the blades of grass as the waning moon shone from up above. Echoing howls spread over the meadow where he was standing in, adding an extra chill to the already cool wind. Everything was different at night when a person was alone, especially if this person didn't know where he was or who he was.

Then he heard something that sounded like it didn't belong in a place like this. It was the sound of something stepping on a big twig from nearby. Piccolo turned around to see what was behind him, but there was nothing there to be seen. Looking in the direction he had just come in, he made sure that nothing had followed him before sighing and turned back around. Instead of turning back around to find nothing, he came face-to-face with a shadowy face. He jumped back, letting out a small scream as the figure in front of him grabbed him by the shirt and lifted him off of the ground.

The Namek started to struggle in the stranger's grasp, grabbing onto his arm as he tried to free himself. It was to no avail as the hand around his neck clamped harder against his skin. So tight was the grasp that he thought he was going to suffocate before he would be let go. However, that didn't happen as the figure let him go, dropping him down upon the ground with a thud.

"Who--who's there?" Piccolo managed to choke out, breathing hard to catch his breath. There was no answer except for what sounded like footsteps walking away from him and silence that came after that. Even that was shielded by the sound of the howling of the creatures of the night.

****

He had just wanted to see how much the now child-like Namek had become stronger, but it seemed like the training hadn't even paid off. Yet, anyways. Maybe when the damned androids came, Piccolo would be able to become what he once was, or at least close enough to it to put up a half decent fight. It didn't look good, even at a distance where anything could happen. They probably needed something to help them win this fight, but he wasn't going to allow it.

Vegeta stood there in the darkness, his arms crossed over his chest as he watched Piccolo get his breath back. He hadn't even squeezed his hand around the Namek's neck that hard in the first place; just enough to see what he could do in a situation like that. He failed miserably and probably would be killed when the two androids showed up. This wasn't even the real Piccolo, who could have sensed that Vegeta was near him instead of looking around like a lost puppy. If he hadn't been wished to this state, he could have blocked the Saiyan's advance without even breaking a sweat.

It wasn't like he cared what was going to happen to the Namek anyways. Although he had mostly outgrown the I-Want-Immortality phase of his life, there were other uses for the Dragon Balls that he had besides using them to wish back someone to his childhood. Maybe once he had gotten his original wish, then it wouldn't matter how long he had to wait like he had now.

"Two years I have to wait for those damned things. All because of that stupid Namek," Vegeta grumbled under his breath, turning around and lifted his body off of the ground. He had more important things to do then to worry about what kind of training the Namek had or if he was strong enough to face the androids. He, the greatest Saiyan alive, would be the only one who would be ready for them.

To Be Continued

Kaeli's Note II: Here is my chapter. Now, it's Aura's turn. ^_^