Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Learning To Love Again ❯ Memories And Concerns ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: *looks down at her black shirt* No, I don't think I'm a middle aged Asian dude named Akira Toriyama. *sigh*

A/N: Thank you so much for all the support! I'm very happy there are people out there enjoying this story. In fact, this story has gotten more reviews in its first week than The Truth! Wow! Well, I just hope you enjoy this chapter as much as the first one. ^_^

"Hey, honey," Krillin called from his favorite chair as Marron entered the house. It had been a close call, but she was home now as the last fingers of sunlight drifted beneath the horizon. Though pouring rain at the Son home, the sky was bright here at the Kami House and it didn't appear to have rained one drop during her leave of absence.

"You made it back just in time, Marron," Krillin told her. "Supper's almost ready."

Marron smiled warmly at her father. "Thank you, Daddy. I think I'll go freshen up real quick and then be right back."

"Go ahead. By the time you're done, so should your supper." Marron crossed the small living room and kissed her father's cheek before heading for her room, shaking her head sadly at Master Roshi as she went. Except for the occasional "ooo" or "ah" he hadn't made a sound, to busy with his "literature" to even take notice of her arrival.

Upon entering her bedroom, Marron took note of how much it had changed since she was last home. Gone were the posters of boy bands and various rock stars. In their place was a fresh coat of sunglow paint, warming the room, giving it life. Though her room had experienced the transformation from one of a child to a woman's years ago, she just took notice of it that day. This was mostly due to being with Pan all day.

Though she fancied herself an adult, at only thirteen years, Pan had a long way to go, even if she was beginning to show signs of her growth. Heck, she still drew pictures for Marron, which she dutifully hung on one wall, graced by the child's creativity.

Placing her purse, umbrella, and coat in the closet, Marron went down the hall to the bathroom where she washed her hands and face. Looking in the mirror, Marron once again noted her maturity. Though by all means a woman, Marron preferred living at home, at least right now. The past four years she had been at the university earning a bachelor's degree in elementary education. Now she planned to stay here, with her family, for a year before finding a job and moving out on her own. While away, she had missed them dearly, even the perv, Master Roshi.

Of course, it had been Pan who had inspired her to teach. After years of babysitting the child, Marron couldn't dream of loving any child more. Whatever pain or joy she went through, Pan always shared it with Marron. Marron had always been there when Pan needed her, especially after Videl's death.

Shaking the thoughts from her head, Marron turned her attention to the task at hand, preparing for supper. Turning her gaze from the reflection in the mirror to the sink, Marron noticed the water was running, cascading over her hands though the soap had long since been washed away. Marron quickly turned the water off, dried her hands, straightened her clothing, and proceeded to the kitchen, where everyone was gathered around the table.

Marron took her seat beside her father and quickly filled her plate with the fish, rice, and steamed vegetables covering the table. As always, there was an abundance of food prepared. Everyone except her mother, Eighteen, had voracious appetites. Eighteen, being an android, preferred to simply watch everyone else, overseeing the meal.

"You sure worked up an appetite while over there," Eighteen observed. "Did you have a nice time?"

Blushing, Marron nodded. "Of course. You know I always enjoy being with Pan."

Krillin looked from his plate to his daughter. "Where did Gohan go again?"

Sighing softly, Marron replied simply, "To see Videl." She suddenly had very little appetite left as she pushed her food around her plate with her chopsticks.

"Oh, I see," Krillin replied, his statement met with an extended lapse of uncomfortable silence as everyone though of the past, no one quite sure what to say next.

"Shame what happened to the son of Goku," Master Roshi voiced everyone in the room's sediments.

Krillin was the next to brave the silence barrier. "Yeah, I still have problems figuring out how it all happened. She was a smart girl and a tough fighter. It's still hard to understand she's gone. It seems like only yesterday." Krillin then drifted onto a sea of memories.

"Well, it has been seven years, Dad, and trust me, I know she's gone. I was there when Gohan came home afterward. I answered the phone call from the police, and I was the one who had to tell Pan because Gohan was too out of it. I was babysitting that night," Marron remembered.

"What I don't understand is why he hasn't remarried," Eighteen spoke. Knowing she had lent a hand in murdering the boy, even if it was in the Mirai timeline, made her leery of voicing her opinions in regard to him most of the time. "He's still young, and good-looking. Wouldn't you say, Marron?"

Marron couldn't help the slight blush that tinged her cheeks as she thought of Gohan as being good-looking. Of course he was, but after knowing him her entire life, he was part of the family. One just didn't think of family as "good-looking."

"Yeah, I guess so, Mom," Marron managed. Though her blush was lost to her father and Master Roshi, but Marron knew her mother had said the comment purposely and couldn't have missed her reaction. "I just don't think he's ready. He's still grieving Videl. When he came home today, his face was tear-streaked. I don't think Pan caught it, but I couldn't help taking notice."

"She's right," Krillin interjected. "Ever since the accident he hasn't wanted much to do with anyone. The only reason he still let's Marron in the door is Pan. I just wish there was something we could do, but he refuses to come to our get-togethers, and he's so distant when we visit him. He's not the same Gohan at all."

Choosing that moment to add a bit of wisdom, Master Roshi spoke, "When Videl died, so did a part of him. She was his heart and now that she's gone, so is that part."

"I guess you're right." Krillin took a deep breath and finished his plate. "I still don't like how he has shut everyone out. He won't even visit his own family. Doesn't he know we're here to help him anyway we can?"

"He's afraid to get close again, afraid he'd lose us all, Dad," Marron explained. "And how do you propose we help him? The only thing that would make it better would be if Videl came back to life...but that can't happen, so there's nothing anyone can do."

Sighing, Krillin concurred, "I guess you're right, but I still wish he'd let us in. We all care and worry about him." Krillin paused for a moment, taking a drink from his glass. "By the way, how is he?"

Marron, looking at her plate, closed her eyes tightly, briefly, before opening them and looking directly at her father. "If you're asking physically speaking, he's great. He looks healthy. He's eating, sleeping, and breathing," Marron shook her head sadly, "but he's not alive. It's like he's just going through the motions of life, like a zombie, all the while, thinking of her. The only time he's anything like he used to be is when he's with Pan. Even then he jokes and laughs, but it somehow never reaches his eyes. That's how he is, Daddy. Interpret that how you wish." Marron stood, gathering her things. "I'm tired. I think I'll go to bed now."

"Are you feeling ill?" Eighteen asked with motherly concern.

"No, just tired." Marron placed her dishes beside the sink, and kissing her parents goodnight, prepared for bed.

Standing in her room, brushing her long blonde hair, Marron's thoughts returned to Gohan. Life had dealt him a rough hand indeed. After his rather tough childhood, filled with battles not only for his life, but the fate of the universe as well, and the loss of both his father and mentor, he had grown to become a decidedly normal man, considering his past.

In high school, he had met and fell in love with Videl Satan, and a few years later they had married, having a single child, Pan, their pride and joy.

He had finally been happy. The universe was free from threat; all his friends and family, including his father, were alive and well. Everything was perfect, until that day.

Marron finished with her hair and crawled beneath the blankets on her bed, pulling them to her chin, and resuming her thoughts.

No one knew exactly knew what happened that day. Gohan had been at Kami's Lookout when The Great Saiyaman was called to Satan City, where Videl was visiting her father. When he arrived mere minutes later, he found Videl, dead.

From that day on, he had shut himself off from the world, barely emerging from his home for the funeral. Even then, he refused to speak to anyone, including his father and Piccolo. He had been like a complete zombie, his face showing no emotion, eyes staring blankly ahead the entire time, while his body went through all the right motions, his hand clinging to Pan's for dear life.

It was Pan, Marron recalled, who had forced Gohan from his depression, mourning. The day had been about two weeks after the funeral. Fourteen-year-old Marron had gotten in the habit of visiting daily to care for Pan and the house, Gohan seeming incapable of either, and even if he had quit eating, Pan still had her share of the Saiyan appetite.

Stirring the rice on the stove, Marron had turned at a noise to see Gohan wander in, slumping into a chair at the table, face blank, eyes dead. He had been wandering the house in such a state since before the funeral, and Marron was not surprised to find a small, golden band in his hand, him fingering it gently. It had been Videl's.

Turning back to the food, she had sighed, thinking of how the old Gohan would have been joking, smiling and laughing, happy. As she stood, lost in thought, Marron had heard a crash, the shatter of glass, and Pan crying. Quickly turning off the stove and running past a frozen Gohan, Marron rushed off, looking for the source of the cries.

Upon entering the bathroom, Marron had found a young, six-year-old Pan sitting on the floor amid an array of objects, which had fallen from the cabinet. Then Marron's eyes had spotted the hand Pan was cradling tenderly, and the blood pouring from it to the floor, causing Marron to gasp. She quickly scooped the child into her arms and rushed to the kitchen.

Once in the kitchen, Marron had set Pan on the countertop. Glancing at Gohan had dashed any hopes she had of him assisting her. Speaking calmly and soothingly to Pan, she had calmed the girl enough to coax the wounded hand into her care. As she looked at it closely under the harsh white light, Marron had spotted a sizable piece of glass wedged in the wound. Thinking quickly, Marron gripped the glass and swiftly, yet gently, pulled it from Pan's palm, causing the small girl to cry out in pain.

Marron had then quickly done a thorough search of the cut for more glass and finding none, had cleansed and bandaged it before pulling the weeping child into her arms for comfort. Holding Pan to her breast, rocking her back and forth, whispering to her comfortingly, Marron had glanced over at Gohan, who had still been staring at the wall, having never moved a muscle.

After a minute of allowing herself Marron's comfort, Pan had pushed her away and signaled she wished to be set down. Marron had quickly obliged the girl, hoping to keep her from crying again.

When her feet had touched the floor, Pan turned immediately toward her father, who was still in his own little world as he had been since Videl left. Pan had simply stood, frowning in confusion, looking at her father before she angrily stomped across the room to stare up at him, hands on her hips, looking very much like her recently deceased mother.

Finally, something had seemed to snap inside Gohan and he slowly looked down at his daughter as mild recognition showed in his eyes, never touching any other part of him. Pan glared back before deciding to speak.

"Daddy, what is wrong with you? Mommy's gone." Pan had just stood there and though her words and tone were fierce, Marron distinctly remembered how the small girl's lips and chin had trembled as her eyes watered again. "She's not coming back, Daddy. You can't help her. You have to snap out of this!" At that time the child's tears had been renewed and were flowing freely down her cheeks as she crawled into Gohan, her father's, lap. "I need you," she wept softly. After that, Pan had collapsed on her father's chest and begun sobbing into his shirt as Marron watched sadly, helpless.

As Pan sobbed out the rage and sorrow she felt after not only losing her mother, but her father as well, something miraculous happened. Gohan looked down at the forlorn angel weeping in his lap and wrapped his arms around her in a tender embrace. "I know, and I'm here," were the first words he had spoken since finding Videl, as he lightly kissed Pan's head.

The look of surprise and glee on Pan's face as she heard her father's voice was priceless. As she kissed his cheek and hugged him tightly, she had exclaimed, "I knew you'd come back to me! I love you, Daddy!"

His voice cracking, a few tears forming a trail down his face, Gohan had answered, "I'm sorry, Baby Girl. I love you," as he clung to his her, his little angel, his own little piece of heaven in this living hell called life.

At that point, Marron knew everything was going to be okay and decided it was a good time to slip out of the room unnoticed. Feeling it was a very personal, family matter, she had felt uncomfortable remaining, and grabbing her things, she had gone home with the good news, and sweet memories she would take to her grave.

Smiling, Marron turned off the light, and closed her eyes. She knew Gohan was a fighter and would pull through. Heck, it had been seven years and might well take ten or fifteen more in the end for him to completely move on, but he would, eventually. Recalling the first weeks after Videl's death showed how far he had come thus far. Comparatively speaking, the road ahead was shorter than what lay behind, but it consisted of the hugest steps, ones Gohan wasn't ready to challenge, yet. He would though. One day he would.

With that, Marron fell asleep with thoughts of her second family in her mind and heart. One day...

A/N: Well, what did you think? I wanna know! So, review!!! Oh, I wanted to let everyone know the next chapter is going to be awesome! You have got to come back and check it out if for no other reason than to laugh at me. If you read, you'll see why. Well, I can't wait for the next chapter, and to read your REVIEWS! ^_^