Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Learning To Love Again ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Nope. I'm still protesting. :P

A/N: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I don't think I can say it enough. Here you are at the last chapter. It is my sincerest hope that you enjoy this chapter and find it complies with your highest expectations. This chapter takes place June of the following year's following year. For those of you slightly confused (as I would be were I reading this), let me explain. The story started in December. Another December has come and gone and it's now June of the following year. Make sense? Good. ^_^ Enjoy!

The sunshine was bright as birds sang while the wild flowers, donning the fresh green grass like jewels on a green sea, danced in delight to the melody. All in all, it was simply a beautiful day as a man stood in the shade of several regal cedars with his daughter.

"Dad, I think I'm going to head on back," Pan said, turning from her mother's grave.

Gohan nodded, giving his silent permission. "Go ahead, baby girl. I'll be there in a few minutes." He smiled proudly at the retreating form of his daughter as she made her way to their vehicle. She certainly was becoming a beautiful young woman and more independent everyday.

Turning back to look at the name written on her stone, Gohan spoke to his once wife for the first time that day. "Well, it sure looks different since the last time I visited back in February. Everything's green, it's much warmer, and for once it isn't threatening to rain. It certainly has been a while," he ended with a partial smile.

He leaned over and placed a bouquet of fresh cut flowers, carnations, on the earth covering his first love. "Sorry it took me so long to get back out here to see you. I've been, well, rather busy." Gohan rubbed the nape of his neck in that Son fashion he had developed over the many years of his life.

A hand came to gently rest on Gohan's shoulder, gaining his attention. When he turned to see who had interrupted his thoughts, he smiled. It was a golden angel.

"I think I'll go ahead and join Pan now," Marron said, understanding Gohan needed a few moments to himself. "I'm starting to get kinda tired anyway." She placed her petite hands on her ample belly, emphasizing her reasons.

Gohan nodded to her. "You go ahead. I'll only be a minute more."

"Okay," Marron confirmed. "Take as long as you need. I'm not in any hurry." She briefly took his hand, squeezing it in support before slowly making her way back to Pan.

After watching her departure, finally satisfied she had arrived safely, Gohan turned his attention back to the task at hand. "As you can guess, things have been pretty hectic. Oh, and in case you didn't recognize her, that was Marron." Gohan smiled in thought. "She's getting pretty big, isn't she? I know she can't wait until August." He chuckled, "She eats almost as much as Pan and I now."

Feeling the seriousness of his task bearing down on him, Gohan's chuckles faded to nothingness. "Videl, I came to tell you something today…. I'm not going to be by very often anymore, and this will be my last time speaking to you.

"I have a lot of new responsibilities now with a wife and new child on the way…. I just can't live in the past anymore. They need me, and it's high time I moved on…."

Running a nervous hand through his jet-black hair, ending with rubbing the back of his neck to ease his tension, Gohan sighed audibly before speaking again. "Videl, I love you. I always have, and I always will. You were my first...my soul mate…. I just wanted you to know that.

"Thank you for everything; for Pan, Marron, listening…but most of all, for loving me." He raised his eyes to a cedar directly in front of him, its small branches swaying in the breeze.

Another few moments' silence followed. "I, guess I should be going now…. They're waiting on me." He once again lowered his eyes to the headstone.

"Thank you, Videl, for everything…and good-bye. Don't worry, I know we'll meet again…someday…." Gohan gently and lovingly placed his hand atop the stone before turning to walk away from the past and toward his future.

As he neared the vehicle, a bird's song drifted to his ears, somehow familiar. Reaching for the door handle, he turned back, seeing a small bird perched in the spot his hand had occupied only moments earlier.

Smiling to himself, Gohan opened the door and climbed in the driver's seat. Happy in the knowledge Videl had heard him, Gohan started the engine and drove away from his past, guilt, baggage, and onward, toward a bright tomorrow, his loves in his heart.

A/N: Well, that's all folks. Not too shabby for my first romance, considering I've only read one romance novel through, eh? I would like to send a shout out to my beta reader, Namek Kaia. She's amazing everyone, truly a gifted author. Her writing skills were put to the test in helping me edit this story and rewrite sections to make it easier for you darling people out there to understand what in the world I'm talking about. She translated my insanity to English. She's the bestest! Of course I'd like to thank everyone who ever reviewed. I love you all! You guys are the reason I ignore professors during lectures and refuse to study so I can write. ^_^ You're also the reason I stayed up until after 6 a.m. one morning writing the first kiss scene between Gohan and Marron. I'd also like to send a special thank you to Teasha. I know you're reading this, and I want to thank you for the hours you listened to me drone on and on about this story idea. Thank you very much. And here is your great reward! You get to leave me a review and I'll give you...uh...hm....*looks around* I don't know what we have to eat around here..... *shrug* I hope Oreo's sound good to everyone because that's all I know we have. *holds up cookies* Review and I'll give you some. Laterz! See ya next story! ^_^ Peace and Out.