Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ New Students at Orange Star High ❯ Chapter One - New Students ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned DBZ, Nappa and Raditz would have been given second chances at life during the time preparing for the Androids. Since that obviously didn't happen, you can safely assume that I do not own DBZ.

It has now been three months since the space pod has landed on Earth. Its occupant, a Saiyan named Zarvon, has blended in with Earth's society for the most part. The only problem is that he knows next to nothing about the Earth's past, so he enrolls in a nearby high school. He is now about to be introduced to his classmates for the first time. But he's not the only person being introduced to the class.

"Class, today we have not one, but three new students," the teacher says, "each one scored high on the exams, two of them having near perfect scores."

"Sounds like you have some competition Gohan," Sharpener tells his somewhat friend with a cocky attitude.

"What?" Gohan asks, totally devoid of having a clue, "I don't care. I'm just here to learn."

"Leave it to a nerd to say something like that," Sharpener chuckles.

"Hush, Sharpener, I want to hear the names of the three new students," Erasa says, "I hope at least one of them is as cute as you Gohan."

"Please come in young man," the teacher tells the first one.

In walks a man nearly thirty. Gohan looks at the man and can detect a slightly familiar ki emanating from the man.

"Hi, my name is Pegaro Kawada," the man says with a bow. Gohan starts at hearing that name. "Is something wrong Gohan?" Videl Satan asks.

"No, I just remembered that I have to pick up my little brother from a friends house on the way home today," Gohan half-lies. He did have to pick Goten up from Bulma's, but that wasn't why he had started. He knew that name.

Pegaro walks up and sits down beside behind Gohan. Erasa turns around to greet the newcomer. "Hi, I'm Erasa," she says with a friendly smile, "and these are my friends Gohan and Sharpener."

"Gohan?" Peharo asks, curious, "your last name wouldn't happen to be Son, now would it?"

"It is," Gohan replies.

"You wouldn't happen to live by Mount Poaz, would you?" Pegaro presses on.

"I thought it was you, Pegaro," Gohan smiles, "its been years."

"Over a decade, kiddo," Pegaro grins, "my, who would have thought the skinny half-drowned kid we found would turn out to be so smart."

"Half-drowned?" Videl asks.

"And this is my other friend Videl," Erasa says, introducing Videl, "she's the daughter of Hercule."

"That's nice," Pegaro snorts, "so Gohan, you did make it home alright that day, didn't you?"

"You bet," Gohan tells his long lost friend, "though a friend of my dad's came and got me. My mom was still coping with dad's death and he was afraid she would neglect me while mourning dad."

"That's too bad," Pegaro says, "I'm sorry."

"Its okay Pegaro," Gohan says, "look, the next person is being introduced."

"My name is Jesse," the second person says. He didn't appear to be in much better shape than Gohan. He had brown hair that shown with streaks of silver. He also wore silver wire frame glasses with gold trim. He moves and takes a seat on the other side of Sharpener.

"Scram nerd boy," Sharpener sneers.

"Leave him alone Sharpener," Videl says, "you need all the help you can get when it comes to study partners by you so leave him be."

Jesse just nods his head and turns his focus to the last person to come in.

The last person was big. He was about the same size as Nappa, though he had hair similar to Recoome's only it was solid black, like all pureblooded Saiyans. He had a scar over his left cheek that was in the shape of a crude `X'.

"My name is Zarvon," he says in a very deep voice. There was something in his voice that projected power. He takes a seat right beside Gohan, though he completely ignores Erasa's attempts to socialize.

As the day progressed, Gohan had gotten to know his old friend Pegaro real well. Jesse had opened up slightly, talking with Sharpener and Gohan but immediately shutting up whenever Erasa or Videl tried to talk to him. Not that Videl really tried talking to him. Zarvon proved to be completely antisocial. And it was now time for the last class of the day: Phys Ed. Gohan completely hated Phys Ed, since it was the one class where his strength could be revealed.

"Okay kids, today we are gonna learn some basic self defense," the teacher tells the class. Gohan groans. This was not good.

"Don't worry Gohan, I'm sure the teacher won't let you try out martial arts," Sharpener says jokingly, completely misunderstanding Gohan's groan, "after all, you're pretty fragile."

"Gohan can probably take care of himself just fine," Erasa tells Sharpener.

"What about you Pegaro? Are any good at martial arts?" Sharpener asks.

"I'm fairly adept," Pegaro replies, "I could be in the World's Martial Arts Tournament if I really wanted to."

"Really?" Erasa asks, impressed, "wow. Are you gonna be in the upcoming tournament?"

"Actually, if I can complete my course in time and get my diploma, I'll be a security guard at the tournament," Pegaro replies with a friendly grin.

"How cool!" Erasa giggles, "Videl is gonna be in the tournament."

"Really?" Pegaro asks, looking at Videl, "you certainly don't look like a fighter. Then again, looks can be very deceiving." Videl just glares at Pegaro.

"Okay, does anybody here besides Videl have any martial arts experience?" the teacher asks the class. Zarvon, Pegaro, and Jesse all raise their hands.

When Gohan doesn't raise his hand, Pegaro glances at his friend, curious as to why Gohan wasn't admitting to knowing any martial arts. Perhaps he had just simply had natural strength when they met and no formal training.

"Okay, Pegaro, I'm pairing you up with Videl," the teacher says," Jesse, Zarvon, I'm pairing the two of you up. And now for the rest of you."

The teacher goes through several basic drills with the class, then he moves the students to the gym, where lines had been placed, roughly the size of an old martial arts stadium ring.

"Okay, now watch Videl and Pegaro spar, to see how professional fighters fight," the teacher says, "I'm sure you've all seen tapes of Hercule fighting, but here you can have a chance to see a friendly competition."

Videl and Pegaro square off. Gohan knew Pegaro to be pretty fast, though he had seen Videl in action quite often in his guise of the Great Saiyaman.

Videl and Pegaro begin exchanging blows, neither one giving any ground. Punches and kicks were flying, though not a single blow was being landed.

"Wow Gohan, your friend is pretty good if he's keeping up with Videl," Erasa exclaims as she watches the match in awe.

"Awe, Videl's just taking it easy on him," Sharpener retorts.

`Actually, it's the other way around,' Gohan thinks as he watches them spar. Videl was holding her own against Pegaro, but Pegaro was holding back. He was getting a feel for Videl's technique. But Videl was getting a feel for Pegaro's technique as well. The two were well matched. Gohan guessed that if it were a real fight, the outcome could go either way.

"Wow, look at that!" Erasa exclaims in surprise, bringing Gohan out of his train of thought.

Pegaro was using his speed now. To most of the others, it looked like he was disappearing, but to Gohan's eyes he wasn't really moving fast at all. At least not when compared to Gohan's fellow Z Warriors.

"It's a trick," Sharpener remarks.

"No, its pure speed," Gohan mutters.

"No one can be that fast," Sharpener tells Gohan, having heard his remark.

"Then how else do you explain it?" Gohan asks.

"I don't know, but it has ton be some sort of trick," Sharpener repeats.

A few moments later, the match was over.

"Wow Pegaro, you're pretty good," Videl says as Pegaro helps her back to her feet," but how did you move like that?"

"Weighted training clothes," Pegaro explains, "as your body gets accustomed to the weight, you are able to move faster when you aren't wearing them."

"How long did it take you to get that fast?" Videl asks as they move back to the rest of the students.

"Several years," Pegaro replies, "but you're pretty good yourself. Your technique is very good, but your approach is too arrogant. If you hadn't been cocky, you might have gotten in a few more blows, and probably won."

"Zarvon, Jesse, are you two ready for your sparring match?" the teacher asks. Jesse nods and Zarvon just grunts. The two move onto the ring and square off.

"Okay, begin!" the teacher calls out.

Jesse starts off with a charge, aiming a punch at Zarvon's chin. Zarvon simply catches the punch in his left hand, rams his right hand into Jesse's stomach, spins while still holding Jesse's fist, and hurls Jesse out of the ring.

Jesse slams into the gym wall and crumples to the ground in a heap. Erasa gasps. Gohan just looks at Zarvon curiously. Zarvon had countered that attack extremely well. And extremely fast. Gohan had never seen a human as fast as Zarvon.

"Wow, did you see that?" Erasa asks, surprised. Videl was speechless. Sharpener just snorted in amusement and looks disinterested.

"Um, very good Zarvon, though the object was to not brutalize your partner," the teacher tells Zarvon, "now class, hit the showers. You have twenty minutes before lunch."

The guys and girls head for their prospective showering areas.

"Those were some good moves you pulled off Pegaro," Gohan tells his friend, "you've been practicing since we last met."

"Well, I always wanted to enter the Supreme Martial Arts Tournament, but since Hercule won I decided to not even try," Pegaro says.

"Smart man," Sharpener says cockily, "you may be able to hold you own against Videl, but she's nowhere near as good as her dad."

After the showers, they meet up for lunch. "Hey Pegaro, care to sit with us?" Gohan asks.

"Sure," Pegaro says. The two go and sit down with Videl, Sharpener, Erasa, Jesse, and Zarvon.

"Hi, I invited Zarvon and Jesse to sit with us," Erasa says after seeing Gohan's puzzled look, "besides, there weren't any other seats available."

Zarvon was eating with the full voracity of his Saiyan heritage, much to the surprise of Pegaro, Jesse, and Gohan.

"Wow Zarvon, you eat as much as Gohan," Erasa comments, "are you two related?"

Zarvon stops eating for a moment and looks at Erasa. "I am in no way related to him," he says, "of that I am sure." He resumes eating.

"Well, that settles that," Videl remarks, who had watched the little exchange with mild interest.

"This guy is too big and muscular to be related to Gohan," Sharpener remarks with his usual cocky attitude, "Gohan's just a nerd. This guy has the makings of a fighter."

"That's funny, Sharpener," Gohan remarks, "on my first day here you asked if I was gonna join the Boxing Club. You said with a little work that I could make a great fighter."

"Actually, that was because you took a fastball to the face and didn't even flinch," Sharpener replies. At this Pegaro bursts out laughing.

"Whats so funny?" Videl demands.

"Gohan's just had a hard head ever since I've known him," Pegaro explains, "he rammed into a guy from a children's shelter head first when they came to get me and a bunch of other orphans when I first met him."

"You were an orphan?" Erasa asks.

"Yeah, and Gohan somehow had gotten lost and we found him half-drowned the day before," Pegaro tells them, "he recovered amazingly quick. He helped us out a lot. So Gohan, did you make it back home to your mom?"

"Yeah. She was really worried about me. She cried for quite a while when I got home." Gohan tried his best to avoid any further questions from Pegaro.

During this, Zarvon looks intently at Gohan. The way Gohan moved practically screamed `seasoned Saiyan warrior', yet he didn't volunteer to show off his skills in gym class. How these humans could miss how easily he moved, the muscular grace that a seasoned fighter could plainly see, just escaped these Earthlings.

Jesse as well as watching Gohan with interest. Unlike Zarvon, he could detect the immense power within Gohan. Jesse smiles to himself. Gohan was strong enough to give even Dabura some trouble, though he had no doubts that the young man would be beaten to death in a prolonged fight with the Demon King. Of course, Jesse had no idea about the Super Saiyans.

Jesse turns his attention to Zarvon. He could plainly tell there was something different about him. Something that was slightly reminiscent of Gohan's strength, though at a lower level.

After school, Zarvon walks away from the school for some distance. Instead of flying, for fear that the energy he would emit would be detected by some device that the humans and the strong people his scouter picked up had, he instead runs to his space pod. He had taken a few odd jobs moving stuff to earn enough money to buy a small capsule house. It wasn't much, but he would surely get something better once he learned more about the Earth. So far he had learned very little.

Jesse phases between dimensions and reappears in a secluded portion of Zunzabud Heights. The cold barely affects him. He walks into the small cottage that had been his home before he was sealed up by the demons.

Pegaro goes home with Gohan, who invited him for dinner. Unfortunately, Goten spilled the beans about everything and Pegaro soon knew about the truth of Cell's defeat and everything about Gohan. He quickly figured out that Gohan was Saiyaman as well since he had once seen Saiyaman fairly close. Pegaro also met Bulma, Trunks, and Vegeta. Though he would rather have foregone meeting Vegeta.

Well, how was that chapter? I'm already running out of ideas for this fic. Well, for the chapters up to the World Martial Arts Tournament at least.