Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ New Students at Orange Star High ❯ Chapter Three - The Tournament Begins ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On the day of the world tournament, Gohan and the other Z Warriors arrive at the island where the Tenkaichi Budoukai will occur and wait for Goku. Goku arrives with Baba and sees Gohan and Chichi again after seven years and meets his son Goten for the very first time. But when the get to the sign up desk, Gohan is startled to see Zarvon and Jesse there signing up to fight.

Jesse was wearing baggy white pants with a blue sash and a black jacket. He was surprisingly well built for someone who seemed to be as much a bookworm as Gohan. But that wasn't what startled everyone. What startled them was that Zarvon was wearing his Saiyan battle armor, though of a style different from what Frieza's henchmen wore and what the Saiyans wore when they were forced to serve Frieza. The outer armor was white, but the garment underneath was a startling bluish-green. He was apparently wearing a fur belt, though Vegeta did not see it.

Videl was surprised to see Jesse and Zarvon there for the tournament as well. Gohan, since he was in his garments as the great Saiyaman, could not ask them any questions, but Videl could. Naturally, Zarvon and Jesse avoided all of her questions with relative ease.

The biggest Surprise was seeing Pegaro sign up for the tournament. He explained shortly thereafter that he had decided to go ahead and give it a try. The people at the tournament had found a guy by the name of Tien to be a guard and since he was a former champion, they offered him the job immediately. Pegaro was dressed in an outfit that reminded Gohan of what he was wearing when they first met: loose white t-shirt, loose-fitting pants, and a red bandanna.

As the men pull out the punching machine, the Z Warriors groan. This was ridiculous! The Tenkaichi Budoukai had become a mockery of what it had once been. Piccolo destroys all of the cameras as Hercule Satan, the World Champion of Martial Arts, poses.

Not to be too distressed, Hercule puts all of his power into a single punch. He gets a score of 127.

A few more fighters go through, only a few of them getting over a hundred. Then it was Number Eighteen's turn. She goes up to the machine and lightly taps it. After blurring through the numbers, it says that her score is 774. Krillin yells at his wife, asking her if that is what she called taking it easy. Eighteen merely responds by hitting the machine again, this time softer and getting a score of 203. Krillin walks up and gets a score of 189. Piccolo goes up and scores 210. Goku barely taps the machine and scores a 197. Zarvon goes up and scores a 340, much to the amazement of Gohan and the other Z Warriors, as well as Videl. Jesse walks up and scores a 320. When it finally comes to Videl's turn, she surprises herself by scoring a 175. Gohan himself held back as much as possible and scored a 201 much to Videl's amazement.

After Gohan and Videl leave to watch the junior division finals, Spopovitch walks up to the machine and scores a 213, followed by Yamu who scores a 200. Shin and Kabito follow them and score a 150 and a 170 respectively.

After watching the junior division and catching a bite to eat, the Z Warriors and the other 15 lucky competitors who scored high enough to be in the First Round. And so the process of deciding who fights when is decided.

Krillin, as unlucky as always when it comes to the draw, draws number one. Yamu draws number two. Piccolo draws number three and Shin draws number four. Videl draws number five and Spopovitch draws number six. Gohan, as Saiyaman, draws number seven and Mighty Mask, whom unknown to all of the others had been replaced with Goten and Trunks, draws number eight. Goku draws number nine and Vegeta draws number ten. Kabito draws number eleven and Zarvon draws number twelve. Number Eighteen draws number thirteen and Jesse draws number fourteen. Gohan felt bad for his classmate having to fight one of the strongest people in the universe. Finally, Hercule draws number fifteen and Pegaro draws number sixteen. Videl felt bad for Gohan's friend for having to fight her dad.

"All right ladies and gentlemen, it is time for the Tenkaichi Budoukai, the World's Martial Arts Tournament!" the announcer says into his microphone, "this time around we have the return of many former competitors, as well as the champion who took the title before Hercule! I am talking about none other than the legendary Son Goku! And the man he beat in the finals of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai is here as well! Today is gonna go down in the history books. We have some of the youngest competitors ever in the Adult division, though if we didn't have the junior division then Son Goku would have lost the record as being the youngest competitor to reach the tournament itself. The two I am talking about are, of course, our Junior Champion Trunks Briefs and the runner up Son Goten!"

The crowd cheers, still amazed by the impressive fight Goten and Trunks had given them even though its end had been anti-climactic.

"For the first match, we have Krillin, a many time semi-finalist who has been competing since he was only thirteen, before the development of the Junior Division. He first appeared in the 20th Tenkaichi Budoukai and lost to the man who became the champion of that tournament, the elderly Jackie Chun! His opponent is Yamu, who showed up in the last tournament, but didn't do so well and made it only as far as the First Round. How will Yamu do against a veteran of Krillin's skill? We shall find out soon enough!"

"The second match is between Majunior and Shin. Majunior competed in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai and made it as far as the finals, but lost to Son Goku. Their match destroyed the ring and we considered disbanding the tournament for a few years. His opponent is Shin. We don't know much about him, but he is obviously strong to have made it this far."

"For our third match we have Videl. She is the daughter of our beloved champion and won the Junior Division in the last tournament Now she helps the Satan City Police department capture crooks as well as go to school. And her opponent is Spopovitch, a man who lost in the First Round of the last tournament to Videl's father, Hercule. He may be looking for a bit of revenge and probably plans to take a bit of it out on Videl. How exciting."

"Our next match has another one of Satan City's defenders, the Great Saiyaman. Since the rules of the tournament prohibit protective headgear, which his usual helmet would be considered, he has opted for a turban and sunglasses to keep his face hidden. And his opponent is Mighty Mask. Mighty Mask appeared in the last tournament but never made it past the First Round. Will he do better? We shall have to wait and see."

"Our next fight is between Goku, a man who has been in the Tenkaichi Budoukai since he was twelve, and Vegeta, a man whom we know next to nothing about, but seems to have a strong dislike for Goku. Goku is actually favored to win the tournament and reclaim the title since he wasn't in the last tournament. And Vegeta just seems to want to fight Goku. Well, now they'll have their chance at the Tenkaichi Budoukai!"

"Our sixth match is between Kabito and Zarvon. Kabito is another unknown who has entered this tournament, as is Zarvon. Both are big guys and appear to be quite strong. Who will win this fight? We'll have to wait and see."

"Our seventh match is between Number Eighteen and Jesse. Eighteen is quite a beauty who appears to be ruthless. I have also confirmed it that she is Krillin's wife. Will these two spouses face each other in the finals? Her opponent is Jesse, a young man whom we have been unable to get no background information on. He's a newcomer with an obvious amount of strength, considering that the punch machine had to be recalibrated after he punched it. We have been able to confirm that Jesse goes to school with Videl Satan and Zarvon."

"And our final match is between our returning champion Hercule and a young man by the name of Pegaro." The announcer waits for the fans to stop cheering for Hercule. "Hercule, as you know, is the current champion of the Tenkaichi Budoukai and the man who saved the world by defeating Cell seven years ago. Pegaro is an unknown. We do know that he goes to the same school as Videl and two of our other competitors. Will schoolmates fight each other? Will Pegaro cause a major upset and defeat Hercule? Hey, I've seen stranger things at this tournament, so it can happen."

"And with the introductions out of the way, may we now proceed with the first match? Krillin versus Yamu. Krillin always seems to be able to make it through the first match, but gets clobbered in the one after by the next champion. Of course, back then we only had eight competitors vying for the title. Yamu did fairly well in the last tournament, even though he didn't do so well. Well, let the match begin. Ready and go!"

Yamu rushes at Krillin, punching at Krillin's head with his right fist. Krillin ducks and delivers a sharp blow to Yamu's gut, causing Yamu to double over in pain. Krillin then kicks Yamu in the side of the head, sending Yamu careening to the edge. At the last moment, Yamu gets his balance back and flips, landing on his feet, the launches himself at Krillin. Surprised by this, Krillin takes the force of the attack that Yamu launches full strength. A series of punches and kicks to the gut and face have Krillin reeling.

At the sidelines, the Z Warriors are amazed at Yamu's level of skill.

"How can he be that good?" Goku asked, "Krillin is one of the strongest humans, and he's being pummeled as if he was fighting someone much stronger than him."

"Yamu is stronger than Krillin," Piccolo says, "but his power is twisted."

Just then, Yamu launches a ki blast at Krillin, hitting him in the chest and knocking him out. But he doesn't stop there. He continues his assault, punching Krillin numerous times in the chest and head. He finally ends it with a brutal kick to Krillin's head, sending him into the wall, creating an indention

"And Yamu is the winner!" the announcer declares, "Krillin is knocked out and out of the ring. That's as bad as you can lose."

In the stands, Marron is practically speechless.

"Daddy lost?" she asks.

"Don't worry Marron, he's tough," Yamcha says, "he'll be okay once he has a chance to rest." `What I wanna know is how that guy got so strong? Except for the other Z Warriors, Master Roshi is the only person on the planet with power anywhere close to Krillin's.'

Number Eighteen rushes out to the ring and picks up her husband. She turns to look at Yamu.

"You had better hope we don't end up fighting each other," she says, glaring at Yamu, "but I think some friends of my husband's will beat me to you."

With that, she walks off carrying Krillin.

"Is he gonna be alright?" Gohan asks.

"Come on Gohan, you know you've seen Krillin take better shots than what Yamu could give him," Goku says, "Piccolo used to do worse to him when he was trying to take over the world."

"If you say so," Gohan says.

"Alright, the next match is between Majunior and Shin! Will the fighters please come out to the ring. It is time for your match."

Piccolo and the strange man known as Shin walk out to the ring. As he passes Yamu, Shin gives him an odd look.

From the sidelines, Jesse is watching Kabito and Shin very closely. `What are they doing here?' he wonders, `they aren't supposed to mess with the mortal world unless it is something that threatens the entire universe. They obviously did nothing when Cell arrived, so why now? What could possibly be worse than Cell? Could they know of my mission to find Dabura?'

"Alright, ready and go!" The announcer's declaration of the fight draws Jesse out of his thoughts.

`Majunior is obviously strong, and most definitely an alien,' Jesse thinks, `but does he have a chance against the Supreme Kai?'

After not saying a word to each other and apparently doing nothing, Piccolo forfeits the match.

"Hey Piccolo, why did you do it?" Goku asks.

"I can't say right now," Piccolo replies, "just don't take this guy lightly."

"Well, at least he's fighting Yamu next and not one of us," Gohan says.

Pegaro walks up to watch the fights. Videl is beside him.

"Hey Saiyaman, does Videl know who you are yet? She always tells us in class that she's gonna unmask you." Pegaro says that last bit with a smirk.

"Yeah Pegaro, she found out who I am," Gohan replies, "a slight mistake in the dinosaur incident gave her all the clues she needed."

"Man, that's a bummer Gohan," Pegaro says, much to Videl's amazement.

"Wait, you knew it was Gohan?" Videl asks Pegaro.

"His little brother spilled everything at that dinner I went to at his house months ago," Pegaro replies.

"Hey Pegaro, you know you're fighting my dad, right?" Videl asks.

"Yeah, and I'm nervous about it," Pegaro answers, "I'll have to rely on my speed if I'm to have any hopes of winning. You're dad is definitely stronger than me, but he's not very agile. If I use my agility properly, I could actually win."

"You're kidding," Videl says.

"No, he's right," Gohan says, "take the leader of the Red Shark Gang for example. You know he was physically stronger than you, right?" Videl nods.

"And yet you beat him without my help," Gohan says, "because you were more agile than he was. All you had to do was get out of his grip and stay out of it and you could beat him. And that is exactly what you did."

"Yeah, it is," Videl says, "so you actually think you can win against my dad Pegaro?"

"I'd say there's a fifty percent chance that I'll win," Pegaro replies, "he's just too strong for me to fight head on. I'll have to use my wits and my speed if I'm to have any hope of winning."

"Are you saying my dad is dumb?" Videl demands angrily.

"No, I'm just saying that I'll have to use my speed to beat him instead of trying to show him up by matching him strength for strength," Pegaro replies calmly, "his strength is his greatest asset, but if you don't have wits and speed to back it up, its worthless."

"That's for sure," Gohan says, "I remember when I was a kid, maybe 10 years ago, I got in a fight with a guy who was nearly ten times my size, yet I beat him up. He was so muscled up that he could barely move. His agility was almost nonexistent."

"Reminiscing about our fight with Garlic Jr, Gohan?" Piccolo asks.

"Just giving Videl an example that brute strength is not the only way to go, but sometimes it can actually hurt," Gohan says.

"Garlic Jr was certainly an example of that," Piccolo says with a faint grin, "glad he's gone, trapped in the Dead Zone for all eternity."

"The Dead Zone?" Videl and Pegaro ask in unison.

"Um, I'll explain later," Gohan says, "besides, Videl, its time for your match."

"Right," Videl says.

"Videl, be careful, "Gohan says, "you saw what that guys partner did to Krillin." Videl just smirks and heads for the ring.

It didn't take long for the Z Warriors to realize that Videl, though supposedly the strongest non-Z Warrior at the tournament, was no match for Spopovitch. Pegaro watches in amazement as Gohan gets really mad. Zarvon watches in interest as well. There was something familiar about the Great Saiyaman, and his Saiyan ears enabled him to hear the others speak his name. They called him Gohan.

`But it can't be the same Son Gohan that I know,' Zarvon thinks to himself, `there's just no way that little dweeb is a fighter capable of doing so well. Then again, everything about the way he moves reminds me of Gohan. The same with this other guy who looks like King Vegeta. And this other guy who reminds me of Bardock. Each of them, the way they move, everything about them down to their appetites says seasoned Saiyan warrior. What is going on here?'

At that moment, Gohan goes Super Saiyan and rushes to the ring. But at that same moment Yamu tells Spopovitch to stop and end the match. Spopvitch grudgingly does so and kicks Videl out of the ring. Gohan powers down and rushes over to pick Videl up. Telling the announcer to forge the stretcher, he takes Videl to the back to take her to the medical wing.

"Dad, I'm gonna take Videl to the doctors so they can start healing her," Gohan says.

"Wait a minute Gohan, you have a match up next," Pegaro says, "hand Videl over to me and I'll take her to the infirmary. You just go and pound Mighty Mask so you can get your revenge on Spopovitch for us."

"Okay Pegaro," Gohan says, reluctantly handing Videl over to his friend, "I trust you."

With that, Gohan starts to head back out to the ring.

"Um, Gohan?" Pegaro asks.

"What?" Gohan demands.

"Put you're bandanna back on," Pegaro says, "the only thing even remotely protecting your identity at the moment is the sunglasses. And I saw Sharpner and Erasa out in the audience and they have binoculars. If you don't hide your hair, I'm sure they'll be able to recognize you."

"I could always transform," Gohan replies.

"And let people think of the Cell Games if you have to power up more for some reason?" Pegaro asks, "and why are you against the bandanna? You've told me maintaining Super Saiyan takes a bit of energy out of you and I'm sure you're gonna need it against your dad or Vegeta, depending on who wins their match. Depending on who wins."

Zarvon's mouth gapes open at hearing the word `Super Saiyan'. Gohan was a Saiyan? A Super Saiyan? There was just no way.

"Thanks Pegaro," Gohan says and puts the bandanna back on, "just take care of Videl. I'll be back there as soon as the match is up. It shouldn't take long."

"Right," Pegaro says and leaves carrying Videl.

"Gohan, I'm gonna go and get some senzu beans from Korrin," Goku says and places his index and middle fingers against his head, "I'll be back as soon as possible." With that, Goku uses his Instant Transmission to teleport to Korrin's Tower.

"Well, Mighty Mask, looks like its our turn to fight," Gohan says as he walks to the ring.

"Just great," Trunks mutters, "our first fight and we gotta face your brother. Man, he's gonna cream us. Even if we do go Super and he doesn't he can still beat us."

"No way Trunks," Goten says, "I could force him to go Super if I went Super, so if we both go Super and fight him then he'll lose."

"Are you serious Goten?" Trunks asks, "even dad says that Gohan is still probably stronger than him, even if it is just by a little bit now. Besides, if we go Super then he'll probably figure out its us."

During all of this, Piccolo listens to what the two kids were saying and smirks in amusement. Those two were a great team, just like Gohan and Krillin had been on Namek, or the way he and Goku had been when fighting Raditz. If they weren't discovered, then they actually had a chance at winning the whole tournament.

"It will be an interesting match, don't you think so Piccolo?" Shin comes up and asks the Namek, "it'll be an interesting match. Brother against brother, in a way. Even if young Trunks is working with Goten to fight."

"How do you know that?" Piccolo asks, shocked.

"Why, I am telepathic, remember?" Shin asks.

"Tell me, are you the Grand Kai?" Piccolo asks suddenly, tensing up.

"No, I'm not," Shin replies easily. Piccolo eases up.

"I'll tell you who he is," Kabito says, then looks straight at Piccolo, "he is the Supreme Kai."

Piccolo's face was one of absolute shock.

`I know of the 4 Kai's that watch over the universe, and the Grand Kai above them,' he muses to himself, `I've always suspected that thee was someone even higher than the Grand Kai, but I've never been certain. Until now.'

"Please keep this to yourself," Shin asks, "I would like to wait before telling the others about myself."

As the match between Mighty Mask and the Great Saiyaman is underway, Gohan realizes immediately that there is something tremendously wrong with his opponent.

`He appears to have two sources of ki, and they are both extremely familiar,' he thinks to himself, `and they are way to high to be humans that we don't know about.'

Silently, he takes to the air to take a moment to think. Unfortunately, Mighty Mask surprises him and takes to the air as well.

`Wow, this is unexpected,' Gohan thinks, `first Spopovitch flies, now Mighty Mask. What next, a ki attack?'

As if to answer his question, Trunks fires a small ki blast from his left hand at Gohan. Gohan effortlessly knocks the attack away and fires a weak blast. The blast misses Trunks head, but it tears through the mask enough for Gohan to see some of the face underneath.

`Its Trunks!' Gohan mentally yells at himself, `and I'll bet Goten is being the legs. Well, they will get disqualified for being two people if discovered. I know they wanted to be in the adult competition, but they shouldn't have done this.' Focusing his ki, Gohan repairs Mighty Mask's mask and moves in close and grabs him under the arms.

"Sorry about this Trunks, Goten, but you are breaking the rules." Trunks and Goten both freeze when Gohan calls them by name. "I'm gonna be nice about this and force you for a ring out. Try and get back to the back before the others get ahold of you and run. That way they'll never know about it and you can go and watch the rest of the tournament. Besides, you know I can reveal you to the world and get you two disqualified. Who would you rather have upset with you: just me for being disappointed in you, or mom and Bulma being mad at you for getting caught?"

That last question hits home. "Um, Gohan, do you think we can forfeit?" Trunks asks.

"It'll be a bit odd after this," Gohan says, "don't worry, I won't hurt you too badly in the ring out. Besides Trunks, you'll be taking most of the hit and I'm sure Vegeta has beat you up worse in training with him."

"Okay Gohan, you win," Trunks says in resignation.

"Hey, after the tournament how about I spar with you two both in an area the size of the ring, just to see how good you really are?" Gohan asks, sensing their disappointment.

"Really, big brother?" Goten asks.

"Promise," Gohan says.

"Fine, throw us out of the ring," Trunks says, "Goten and I can ditch this ugly costume quickly and no one will know but you."

"I'm guessing you've forgotten about Piccolo's hearing," Gohan says with a smirk, "if you've talked to each other in costume anywhere in the back, then he knows."

"Oh boy, he won't tell will he?" Trunks asks.

"Probably not," Gohan says, "I'm sure he understands you wanting to fight people closer to your own strength."

Then, without warning, Gohan plummets to the ground still holding Mighty Mask. He heads straight for the grass outside of the ring and lets go of Trunks and Goten and flies back up. The momentum of the downward plunge sends Goten and Trunks into the ground, outside of the ring.

"And the Great Saiyaman wins it!" the announcer says, "give him a round of applause for such a brilliant victory maneuver."

Gohan, slipping totally into the Great Saiyaman mentality, does a few poses that made Hercule's poses look good.

"Oh yeah, I'm so good," Gohan smirks to himself.

When he gets back to the back stage, everyone is looking at him funny.

"What?" Gohan asks, completely oblivious to how corny his routine is.

"Boy, the Ginyu Force should sue you from beyond the grave for imitating them," Vegeta snorts, though it is obvious he is trying not to laugh. Krillin, however, is laughing his head off.

"Gohan, you sure know how to throw people off your trail," Krillin says between chuckles.

"What do you mean?" Gohan asks.

"You honestly don't know?" Vegeta demands, "boy, you just imitated Jiece's routine almost perfectly, not to mention Burter's and that idiot Recoome's. You were showing off as if you were a member of the Ginyu!"

Upon hearing that, Gohan's face flushes. "Gee, and I simply thought it looked cool," he murmurs.

Upon hearing this, Vegeta actually bursts out laughing, as does Krillin. Even Eighteen chuckles, along with Jesse and Zarvon.

"Boy, just promise me that you'll never, ever do that again," Vegeta says when he finally stops laughing, "you'll disgrace every remaining Saiyan with such foolishness."

Upon hearing the word Saiyan, Zarvon yells "What!". Hearing this, the others turn to him. Vegeta glares at him.

"Weren't you ever told not to listen in on the conversations of others?" Vegeta demands.

"Sorry, but I thought I heard something that sounded familiar," Zarvon says.

"And what would that be, human?" Vegeta demands.

At that, Zarvon glares at Vegeta. Vegeta matches his glare with one of his own. Finally, Zarvon looks away in disinterest.

"Easy, Zarvon, easy big guy," Jesse says, laying a hand on Zarvon shoulder, "this is one guy you do not want to mess with. He's much stronger than you. Or can't you tell?"

"What do you mean?" Zarvon demands, turning to face Jesse.

"You can't sense ki energy?" Jesse asks, surprised, "I thought you were, seeing as how you were extremely strong yourself."

"What do you mean, you can sense ki?" Zarvon demands. Jesse sighs.

"Not exactly," Jesse says, "but I can detect a person's personal life force, and they have incredible life energies. And one of them is extremely familiar to us both." He turns to look at Gohan and smirks. "Isn't that right, Gohan?"

Gohan gapes at Jesse. Jesse just smiles.

"It wasn't too difficult," Jesse says, "after all, all of your friends were calling you Gohan. And I definitely recognized your hair style when your bandanna flew off."

"Um, mind not telling the kids at school about this?" Gohan asks.

"Of course," Jesse snorts, then smirks.

Suddenly, Goku reappears.

"Dad, do you have the senzu beans?" Gohan asks.

"Of course Gohan," Goku says, "but there's only three." He hands one to Gohan.

"Thanks dad." Gohan turns and runs for the infirmary.

"Kakarott, it is time for our match," Vegeta says.

"So Gohan won?" Goku asks with a grin.

"Ring out," Vegeta says, "and his opponent ran out so fast even I couldn't follow him once the decision was announced."

"Well, shall we go now?" Goku asks, stepping out.

"And here we have a match I myself have been anticipating," the announcer says into his mic, "Goku is a returning former champion. He didn't participate in the last tournament, but has made it to the finals of every tournament he has ever been in. He first participated at the age of twelve and lost to the old master Jackie Chun. He then entered the next tournament and lost to Tenshinhan. But when he entered the next tournament, he won in the finals against another competitor in today's tournament, Majunior. And if you haven't heard of Goku, then I know you've heard of the man who taught him. That man is none other than Master Roshi, a man who won the Tenkaichi Budoukai himself many years ago. Master Roshi is among the most revered martial artists of all time. If not for his age, he could still very well be the greatest martial artist in the world. It would be a wonder if he is still alive."

At hearing the part about his age, Master Roshi falls over anime style.

"As for Vegeta, we know nothing about him except that he is only in this tournament to fight Goku. Now, let the match begin!" the announcer says.

Vegeta leaps at Goku, sending a flurry of punches at him. Goku blocks and counters with a kick to the head. Vegeta ducks and punches Goku in the gut. Taking a couple of steps back, holding his stomach.

"I told you I would punch you in the gut," Vegeta smirks, "ready to give up?"

"Not by a long shot Vegeta," Goku says, moving back into his fighting stance, "you sure you're ready?"

"Of course I am, you baka," Vegeta snorts, setting into his own fighting stance.

The two known remaining members of the Saiyan race clash head on, again and again. The sheer force of their blows sends shockwaves through the air.

Meanwhile, Gohan heads into the back to find Videl and give her a senzu bean. He locks onto Videl and Pegaro's ki signatures and runs to them.

"You got something to help her?" Pegaro asks when Gohan rushes in and knocks Hercule aside, "the doctor says she'll be fine, but the recovery will take a while. She's lucky she's not crippled for life."

"Spopovitch is gonna regret doing this to our friend," Gohan says angrily, "but I got something here to help her."

"Hey punk, just who do you think you are?" Hercule demands when he gets back to his feet.

"Hey Videl, can you hear me?" Gohan asks gently. Videl nods, though its obvious she is in extreme pain.

"Don't worry Videl, you're gonna be okay," Gohan says. He takes a bean out of the bag. "Videl, this is a senzu bean. It'll fix you up as good as new."

"Hey, don't think you can impress my daughter with a bean!" Hercule bellows, "doc, tell him my daughter can't eat that!"

"Hey, see here," the doctor, a very aged man says, "don't give my patient anything funny now, young man."

"Don't worry, she'll be as good as new after eating this," Gohan says.

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!" Hercule bellows at the top of his voice.

"D…dad," Videl says weakly, bringing Hercule's temper down a bit, "I trust him. If..if he says it'll help, I believe him."

"Thanks Videl," Gohan says softly and then puts the bean in her mouth. Videl chews.

"Videl, spit it out!" Hercule demands.

"Well, come on Pegaro," Gohan says, "Zarvon's match is up next and we don't wanna miss it."

"Sure thing, Saiyaman," Pegaro says. The two friends exit the infirmary quickly. Hercule chases them to the door, yelling past the press.

"YEAH, YOU BETTER RUN!" he bellows. Then he remembers that Gohan had put one of the beans in Videl's mouth. He runs back to Videl's side.

Videl finishes chewing and swallows. Her eyes stay closed for a moment, then she opens them wide. She sits up and looks at her hands, her mouth wide open in amazement. She then leaps to her feet, her fist raised in the air.

"I'm all better now!" she cries out. The doctor and Hercule both stare at her, eyes and mouths wide open in shock.

Gohan and Pegaro arrive at the entrance to the stadium just in time to see Goku and Vegeta return. Gohan looks at the two Saiyans.

"Hey dad, hey Vegeta. Who won?"

"Kakarott won, but barely," Vegeta snorts, "he got me in a ring out. Otherwise, I would have had him."

"I just got lucky Vegeta," Goku says, "you've definitely gotten tougher in the seven years I've been gone."

"What else is there for me to do?" Vegeta demands, "Gohan has hardly trained at all in the last seven years."

"Is this true Gohan?" Goku asks, amused.

"Yeah dad, it is," Gohan says sheepishly, "I mean, there isn't really much of a point training. I just couldn't put my hear tin it with you gone."

"Well Gohan, I must say that I am a bit disappointed in you," Goku says, "but there is only one guy in Otherworld anywhere near as strong as we are. Right now I'm training because in three hundred years I'll get a lesson from the Grand Kai, just like Pikkon."

"How long do you normally have to train to get a lesson?" Vegeta asks, amused.

"Ten thousand," Goku says.

"Just for a single lesson?" Vegeta asks, "has anyone ever done it?"

"No one from the Eastern Quadrant, which is what we live in. I am the strongest warrior in the entire Eastern Quadrant that is dead," Goku replies. The announcer interrupts before he can say anything else.

"Will Zarvon and Kabito please report to the ring. It is time for your match."

"Hey, good luck Kabito," Gohan says. Pegaro nods his head in agreement.

"This guy isn't tough," Zarvon says, "my only competition here is from you three, if you are Saiyans." With that he walks back to the ring.

"How does he know about the Saiyans?" Goku asks, "and just who is he?"

"Well, he goes to school with me, along with Pegaro, Jesse, and Videl," Gohan explains, "he doesn't socialize much so we don't know that much about him."

"He's displaced in time," Jesse says softly, "he doesn't know that he is fifty years behind the times."

"What do you mean by that, boy?" Vegeta demands.

"Watch this match and see, Prince Vegeta," Jesse says calmly, apparently not intimidated by Vegeta, "what you will see will shock and amaze you."

"Zarvon and Kabito are both newcomers who scored high on the punching machine. They both eclipsed Hercule's punch by a long shot. Kabito shas the size advantage, but size definitely does not matter in this tournament. When Krillin first competed many years ago, he defeated Bacterium, a man three times larger than Kabito. So don't count Zarvon out just because he's smaller."

Zarvon crouches down into a classic Saiyan fighting stance. Kabito just stands there.

"And begin!"

Zarvon launches himself at Kabito, launching himself into a flurry of punches. Kabito blocks and gets pushed back to the edge of the ring.

Zarvon jumps back and launches a ki blast at Kabito, who knocks it aside and punches Zarvon in the gut. He then follows up with a vicious kick to the gut and then another punch to the gut. The final punch sends Zarvon flying into the air.

Zarvon finally stops himself and dives at Kabito and launches himself into an intricate array of punches and kicks but Kabito blocks them all. The two fighters fight back and forth in midair, neither one giving the other any relief.

"They can fly and use ki blasts?" Gohan asks, amazed.

"Yes, he can do that and so much more," Jesse says cryptically.

"What do you mean by that?" Vegeta demands.

"Continue watching and you shall find out, dear prince," Jesse says

Shin just watches what is going on with intense interest.

`Strange, I cannot feel this one's power, just like the android,' he thinks to himself, `and the one Kabito is fighting, I do not know who he is. It is like his mind is shielded from me. He is obviously quite strong. Even though Kabito is holding back, he is matching him blow for blow.'

Kabito blocks a punch to the face but gets hit in the gut. Zarvon then places his hand in front of Kabito's face, holding it in the position of a gun.

"Blast Revolver!" he calls out. A tremendous blast of energy erupts from his hand and sends Kabito flying towards the edge of the ring. Zarvon follows up and knees Kabito in the gut and punches him in the face, sending him into the wall.

"And Zarvon is the winner!" the announcer says, "he is going to the next round to face Goku."

Zarvon walks back to the entrance to the ring area.

"Nice fight Zarvon," Gohan says, "that was a very good fight."

Zarvon just snorts. "It was nothing really. He was tough, but I've faced stronger opponents than him."

"I find that extremely hard to believe," Kabito says from behind him. Zarvon turns to face his defeated opponent.

"That may be, but it is the truth," Zarvon snaps, "consider yourself lucky that I even let you live. I could have easily killed you."

"If you had killed him, you would have been disqualified from the tournament," Pegaro says. Zarvon just snorts in disgust and goes off on his own to find something to eat.

"You know, there is something oddly familiar about the way he acts," Gohan says, "but I can't quite place it."

"He reminds me of Nappa," Vegeta remarks, "and he is quite strong. Didn't you feel how powerful he was? He was as powerful as Kakarot was when he fought Frieza."

"Your right," Goku says, "though not as strong as I was when I went Super Saiyan."

"I didn't think there were any humans that strong," Krillin says, "I didn't think humans could get that strong."

"They can't," Vegeta says matter-of-factly, "but there are very few alien races that look like you humans enough to pass themselves off as humans. Saiyans are among them, but Kakarott and myself are the last. And the brats."

"Now it is time for our next match. Number Eighteen against Jesse!"

"Well, its time for our match ma'am," Jesse says to Eighteen.

"Whatever," Eighteen says emotionlessly. The two fighters walk to the ring.

"Both of these fighters are making their first appearance in the Tenkaichi Budoukai," the announcer says, "I have found out that Eighteen is the wife of Krillin, who lost in the tournament's opening match. We know nothing about Jesse except that he is a classmate of Zarvon, Videl, and Pegaro, who is in the next match against Hercule."

Jesse and Eighteen square off in the middle of the ring.

"Don't think I'm gonna go easy on you just because you're weak," Eighteen says.

"Don't think you're gonna win just because I cannot sense your ki," Jesse says, "you still have a basic life force and I can sense that." Jesse's remark surprises Eighteen, but she hides her surprise behind a mask of calm.

"And begin!"

Jesse and Eighteen leap at each other and launch themselves into flurries of punches and kicks. Eighteen vanishes, using her speed to move unseen behind Jesse. She kicks at the back of Jesse's head, but he ducks, spins, and kicks her in the stomach.

"How did he do that?" Gohan says, surprised, "and why can't I sense his ki?"

"He seems to be able to sense her in some way other than her ki," Shin says, "as for why you cannot sense his ki, I cannot hazard to guess."

Jesse blocks another punch from Eighteen and punches her in the gut. He grabs her legs and begins spinning around. He spins so fast that he creates a small tornado until he finally releases Eighteen. She hits the wall and slumps to the ground.

Krillin runs out to see how his wife was doing. Surprisingly, she was barely hurt but she was very dizzy.

"And Jesse is the winner!" the announcer declares.

"How did you do that?" Gohan asks when Jesse returns to the back area.

"You will learn in time, Gohan," Jesse replies. He looks behind them. "I believe your girlfriend is alright." He says that last bit with a smirk.

"My what?" Gohan says, then turns around to see Videl standing there.

"Videl, you're okay!" Gohan says, running over to Videl and hugging her. Jesse smirks. So does Krillin and Goku. (A/N: Goku smirking outside of the battlefield? Now that HAS to look weird.)

"So your girlfriend is alright Gohan," Krillin snickers.

"She's not my girlfriend!" Gohan ells at Krillin.

"Hey Gohan, did you win your match?" Videl asks.

"Yep. And so did Zarvon and Jesse." Gohan says after releasing Videl from the hug, his cheeks burning red with embarrassment.

"Really? Wow. Who is facing who?" Videl asks.

"Well, Zarvon is facing my dad in the next round," Gohan replies, "and Jesse will face whoever wins between your dad and Pegaro."

"And you're facing Spopovitch?" Videl asks, her eyes ringed with worry.

"Don't worry Videl, I'm gonna take him out," Gohan says assuringly.

"But if I couldn't beat him, then how can you?" Videl asks, still worried.

"I'm more used to using my ki than you are," Gohan says, "I'm much faster in the air and I know how to use my ki to increase my strength. He won't even know what hit him."

"Are you sure?" Videl asks.

Gohan is about to reply, but eh announcer interrupts him.

"And now fans, it's the moment you have been waiting for! Hercule, our reigning champion, versus Pegaro, a first time competitor. This is rue to be an interesting match."

The fans cheer loudly as Hercule makes an impressive entrance.

"What a goofball," Krillin mutters, "even if he does know how to please the crowd."

"Fighting isn't about the fans or how much glory you achieve," Piccolo says, "its about improving yourself to be the best you can be. I doubt he's even trained at all since the Cell Games."

"You're probably right about that," Videl says, "he hasn't let me train with him in years."

"That's because he knows you've surpassed him, Videl," Gohan says, "once a person learns to manipulate their ki in any form, they can grow stronger by leaps and bounds with just a moderate level of training. Judging from your ki level, compared to what it was before I taught you how to fly, you've been pushing yourself to your limit and beyond."

"Yeah, I have at that," Videl says, "so, when are you gonna teach me how to sense ki?"

"Actually, it shouldn't be all too difficult for you to do right now," Gohan says, "just focus on your ki, then search for another's ki. You can see where you stand when compared to them because you compare their ki to your own."

"That's not how it is, Gohan," Goku says, "that's just the way it was for you because you always saw yourself weaker than me. That's why you were surprised when you surpassed me all those years ago."

"I guess so," Gohan says.

"Hey Gohan, this Pegaro guy is a friend of your, right?" Krillin asks.

"Yeah Krillin, he is," Gohan replies.

"Well, I must say that he's quite strong judging from his ki level," Krillin says.

Gohan chuckles. "Oh, I forgot to mention this. Pegaro knows how to move really fast by using his ki. He's been training with weighted training clothes for years. If I weren't used to seeing people move faster, I doubt I could follow him."

"He's that fast?" Krillin says, surprised, "wow. Maybe I should bring him to see Master Roshi to train him. I mean, Goku taught you everything he knows. Marron isn't a fighter so I can't teach her. I've always wanted to try my hand at teaching someone how to fight."

They are interrupted by the announcer telling Hercule and Pegaro to begin the fight.

The moment the fight begins, Pegaro runs at Hercule, full speed, and punches him in the gut. The force of the punch knocks all of the air out of Hercule's lungs.Pegaro follows up with a jump kick to the chin and a spin kick to the side of the head. Hercule is knocked to the side, but he quickly gets up and rubs his jaw.

"Wow kid, you're pretty tough," he says, "how does this sound: if you can last more than five minutes with me going all out, I'll give you free membership to my gym for a year."

"It's a deal," Pegaro says, "I just hope you can keep up with me, sir."

Hercule bellows out laughter. "Ha ha ha! Real funny kid. I'll admit your fast, but you just caught me by surprise. Your going down!"

With that, he leaps at Pegaro and punches at him. Pegaro ducks, back flips, and kicks Hercule in the gut with both feet at the same time. The force of the blow knocks Hercule back a few feet, clutching his stomach.

But Hercule quickly regains his composure.

"Nice moves kid," Hercule says, "but you've got no chance against the guy who saved the world!" He says that last part really loud and punches his fist into the air.

"You're right, I don't have a chance against the man who saved the world," Pegaro says with a smile, "but you're not him. I know the boy who defeated Cell. He told me you did do an important part, but you are not the man who defeated Cell. You contributed, but you didn't win."

Upon hearing this, Piccolo looks at Gohan questioningly. "He knows?"

This startles Gohan. "Huh? Oh. I'm guessing he just told Hercule, didn't he." Piccolo nods.

"What do you mean, you little punk?" Hercule demands, "hey, I know you! You're that kid who took Videl to the infirmary! Well, you're going down now punk!" With that, Hercule leaps at Pegaro, kicking him hard with his Dynamite Kick. The crowd goes wild at seeing one of Hercule's trademark moves.

The force of the kick sends Pegaro flying and he lands on the edge of the ring. Hercule comes running at Pegaro at full speed. Seeing an opportunity for an easy win, Pegaro stands up and stands ready to face Hercule's charge. But at the last moment, he disappears as he runs to the side. Hercule doesn't see his opponent vanish until it is too late and tries to stop. But just as he manages to stop himself from going outside the ring, Pegaro appears behind him and kicks him in the back and sends him falling out of the ring. He hits the ground with a thud. The crowd is speechless at seeing their beloved champion lose.

"Incredible!" the announcer says, "I haven't seen anyone use the after image technique in years. Not since Son Goku won the tournament all those years ago. And since Hercule is out of the ring, I declare Pegaro the winner!"

"Dad lost?" Videl says, openmouthed in astonishment.

"Hey, remember what Pegaro said," Gohan says, "he played to his strengths. His speed is his biggest strength. He used that. Your dad obviously slipped on something. But if Pegaro kept baiting him like that. Besides, you've seen me move that fast and you know its not a trick, so he lost fair and square."

"His own ego did him in," Piccolo remarks, "if he didn't think ki and flying and other abilities like them weren't tricks and actually tried to learn them, he would be a lot stronger."

"I know I'm a better fighter for learning how to fly," Videl remarks.

"And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen," the announcer says, "we have finished the first round. We'll give the fighters thirty minutes to rest and then we'll start the quarter finals. First up in the quarter finals is Yamu versus Shin. How will Shin fare against this man who beat a true veteran of the Tenkaichi Budoukai? Next is Spopovitch versus the Great Saiyaman. Will Satan City's other defender get revenge for what Spopovitch did the Videl? We shall wait and see. After that it is Goku versus Zarvon. Goku is a former champion and the years obviously haven't dulled his skill. Zarvon put up a great show and defeated his opponent Kabito with a ring out. And the final match of the quarter finals is Jesse versus Pegaro. Pegaro, as you just saw, defeated our current champion Hercule. Jesse used some amazing tactics and defeated Eighteen. And they are schoolmates! How will they fare against each other? We shall find out in half an hour!"

~~

Well now, how do you like that chapter? It is possibly the longest chapter I have ever written, but I plan on covering an entire round in each chapter. Next up, the Quarter Finals. Tell me what you think of this chapter in your reviews. And tell me who you want to win in the follows matches: Yamu VS Shin. Spopovitch VS Gohan. Goku VS Zarvon. Jesse VS Pegaro.