Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Paint it Black ❯ Murder, Dare and Ambush ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: This is the second chapter. Thanks to those who reviewed, of course. Things are getting more exciting! Trouble starts.

Chapter 2: Murder, Dare and Ambush

The planet Shatshie was only two weeks from Cold-sei, and Vegeta spent the weeks in a cold sleep, due to the gas that filled the ship. The gas had ceased circulating a few hours earlier, giving Vegeta enough time to wake before he reached his destination. Now a woman's voice filled the space pod, pulling him all the way from sleep.

"Wake up, Prince Vegeta. You are now approaching Shatshie-sei. Wake up."

His eyes opened, and he turned off the annoying voice with the press of a button. Vegeta looked at the planet that loomed before him and he sighed. He hated this part, when the pod suddenly dropped towards the large, floating ball. Some planets had gravity, making the descent faster and more turbulent. Then the pod would cause a crater that Vegeta would often times have to climb out of to try and stay discreet if he hadn't already been noticed. Surprise attacks were hard to plan, since many would see the approaching pod. On planets with no gravity, surprise attacks were impossible, for the inhabitants would need to rush out and strap the ship down, while the visitor made a dash for the village, which was often underground.

"You are now entering the orbit of Shatshie-sei," the pod's computer informed him, and Vegeta grabbed onto the sides of the ship, preparing for the rough landing. As he expected, the pod began to bounce and jerk as it was pulled towards the ground. He reached out and turned off the engine, knowing this made the ride a little smoother. As he passed through the atmosphere, he felt himself plummeting towards the ground, and he was lifted from his chair. The straps over his shoulders and around his waist were the only thing that kept him from flying to the ceiling of the pod.

When his pod finally collided with the ground and came to a sudden stop, he was forced angrily back down into his seat. He frowned. That had never happened before. He could usually see the rocks and debris flying past the window as the pod smashed through the earth, slowing gradually until it stopped. He usually didn't even realize he was sitting once more.

Shrugging off the straps, he stepped outside, surprised to find that his pod had made no mark in the ground. He fired a Ki blast into the dirt and was shocked as the ground seemed to absorb it, leaving little more that a scorch mark. He shrugged. Every planet was different, after all, and he decided to locate the village. The computer in his pod had informed him there was only one village, and he had expected the planet to be small. It was just the opposite, however, and he assumed that the planet's size was the reason Frieza wanted it intact for his own purposes.

He bushed the button on the side of his scouter and waited as it located the village. A smirk turned up his lips as he turned the mechanism off and, surrounded by a blue aura, took off in the direction indicated.

***

The village was farther than he had thought, though he covered the distance quickly. Even in the short time he had been there, he was already feeling the intense heat of the planet. It was stifling, and he supposed that's why the only village was among the only visible trees for miles.

He landed gently on a hill near the small valley and watched the people go about their day, unknowing of both him and their terrible fate. Vegeta decided to destroy them from where he was. It was never good to associate with the enemy and then destroy them. Sometimes friends were made.

He formed a ki ball in his palm and waited for it to grow large enough to take out at least the first half of the village. The rest, he decided, would be destroyed by one of his rapid fire attacks. It didn't matter which. Taking aim, he pulled back his arm, then flung it forward again, whipping the ball towards the valley with alarming speed. People hardly had a chance to scream as the trees exploded and debris showered down around him. He didn't see any other signs of inhabitants, but he thought it best not to take his chances.

Rising from the hill slightly, he fired several ki blasts in a row towards the valley, demolishing the last of the trees and leaving nothing but charred remains, scorch marks, and a stiff-backed creature, which looked at him with a pure and venomous hatred.

Vegeta gave a start. How could everything around this creature be completely destroyed, and yet he appeared to be untouched? And how was it that while his people were disintegrated to nothing, he stood unscathed? As the creature lifted into the air and started towards him, Vegeta felt the urge to run. This creature was no doubt powerful, surviving his attacks with nothing to show for it, but he forced himself to remain where he was.

The blue skinned creature landed in front of the Saiya-jin prince, his long snout twitching violently. His ears were nothing but slits in the side of his head and his nails were black in colour. His ruffled hair was long and fell unkempt about his broad shoulders. His eyes were a bright yellow, standing out drastically against his dark skin, and narrowed dangerously. His upper lip was curled back in a snarl, revealing a row of beige fangs. Vegeta held the loathing glare, returning it with one of his own.

"You haven't a right to look at me with that sort of distaste," the creature snarled. "After all, you are the one who destroyed these people."

Vegeta only shrugged. "If you have a problem, you can-" He was cut short as the creature interrupted.

"Yes, I do have a problem," he said, "and I intend to deal with it. We'll see how tough you are when your arrival is expected and you're greatly outnumbered."

Vegeta snorted. "I'm sorry, but I have better things to do."

"Like what?" the creature inquired. "Off to destroy more races?"

"Perhaps." Vegeta's tone was calm and collected, giving off the impression he wasn't at all intimidated by the blue creature looming above him. That was the way he wanted it.

The creature gave a hoarse laugh. "You're probably just scared," he said, his voice taking on a taunting, childish tone.

"Scared?" Vegeta lifted his eyebrows. "I can assure you, I am not scared."

The creature said nothing for a moment as he tugged at his flowing robe. He then scanned the horizon, saying, "Then prove it, boy. Follow me to Ellom-sei if you're not afraid."

"Ellom?" he asked with a frown. Why Ellom-sei?

"Yes. My planet. I do not reside here; it's much too hot for my personal taste. I was merely visiting, but I do believe it's time for my departure. If you do not follow me to Ellom, then I will track you and kill you wherever you land. Consider it a challenge, a dare." His words were finalized as he took to the skies, leaving Vegeta standing on the hill below, glowering up at him.

Kill me? Vegeta thought haughtily. I'd like to see him try! He rose into the air also, the Ellom only a glowing dot in the sky due to his white aura. He thinks I'm scared, he remembered with a snort. Well, I'll show him. In a flash of blue, he was racing over the barren land towards his pod.

To the right of him, Vegeta could see a ship rising into the air, fire billowing from the butt end it. It rose slowly, and Vegeta watched to see which direction it headed in, but it continued to only ascend straight up. With a growl, Vegeta sped up. He would have to catch a glimpse of the ship in space in order to see which direction it went in.

He reached his pod quickly, and climbed inside. As he pushed the button to close the door, the computer automatically came to life.

"Welcome back, Prince Vegeta," it greeted. Vegeta rolled his eyes; the computerized voice was more than annoying. He buckled himself into his seat as he the ship began to rise mechanically. He closed his eyes and gripped the side of his chair, preparing for another bumpy ride, much like his descent. He was forced deeper into his chair as he left the planet, just the opposite of what had happened when he had arrived, and he personally preferred leaving better. He closed his eyes and tried to ignore the pressure pressing down on him.

It was a relief when he found himself surrounded by a black, star-flecked blanket once more. A short ways ahead, Vegeta could see a ship moving slowly, as if to make sure he followed. As he locked his pod onto it and settled back into his seat, the ship started moving faster until it was speeding through the dark silence of space. Vegeta's pod followed, until it, too, was rocketing towards the planet Ellom.

***

Vegeta was jerked awake as he felt his ship being pulled downwards. He had lost track of time quite a while ago, but his senses told him he had been flying for about a week. Opening his eyes and peering out of the circular window in the front of his ship, he saw that he was landing. The other ship had disappeared from his view, but his pod's radar showed that it was still in front of him.

Though their was obviously a gravitational pull, the landing wasn't nearly as rough as Vegeta had suspected, and he began dropping towards the ground much sooner than he had expected. His pod plowed through the rock and dirt, slowing gradually until it finally stopped. Stepping out of the pod, he found himself in a deep crater. He sighed, though it had been more than expected.

He knew his arrival was expected, so he flew out of the huge ditch. A surprise attack would be pointless to try and plan. Glancing around he saw that he was alone. He frowned. That creature had dared him to come; why wasn't he there?

The planet (or at least where he was) was cool and shady due to the large, purple-leafed trees that stretched towards the pale red sky. The branches hung over, making almost a canopy above his head, though the cloudless sky was still visible. The golden sun was high, but Vegeta didn't seem to feel it's heat. The grass was white but soft, and the nearby bushes were a light purple, the same colour as the leaves on the trees.

The rustling of a bush caused him to jump around, firing a ki blast in the direction of the movement without a second thought. When nothing followed, he assumed it to be an animal. He sighed. You're too tense, he thought. Relax, don't let anyone know. He closed his eyes gently, calming his nerves. Upon opening them again, he saw a group of blue-skinned creatures standing around him in a circle and his eyes widened.

"Fool," a tall one in a white robe said with a snicker. "One would think you would have guessed you would be ambushed, but I suppose arrogance is all one can expect from a child."

"I'm not a child!" Vegeta shouted as he formed a ki blast in his palm. Before he could fire it, however, two Ellom-jins grabbed him, forcing him to the ground, where they forced his hand to the dirt, disintegrating the blast. As Vegeta opened his mouth to complain and to try and distract them so he could gain the upper hand, a fist collided with the side of his head. His vision swam for a moment before everything went black and his head hit the dirt.

As the Ellom-jins lifted him up and walked through the trees, the bushes rustled as a short creature scuttled after them.

***

How was the second chapter? Are things getting more exciting? I hope so; I know the first chapter and the prologue were boring. Please feel free to leave a review! Chapter 3: Rescue will hopefully be out soon.