Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Retaliation; the Trouble Inside ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z. The anime/manga was created by Akira Toriyama, and is owned by Shonen Jump and Toei Animation Co. Ltd. This is a work of fan fiction and means no harm to the anime or manga it pays tribute to. I'm not making money for this.
 
Retaliation
By Trynia Merin
Beta'd by Sarah Slutz
***
Soon after Uub carried Pan to the safety of the nearest hospital and called Videl to meet him there, Goten and Bra had accompanied Gohan as he took Trunks back to Capsule. Gohan continued to carry Vegita's son, rocketing at top speed while Goten carried Bra close behind him. It was their hope that they could somehow talk sense into him if he regained consciousness again.
 
"He looks so still, I'm so scared for him," Bra whispered. Goten squeezed her hand as they flew along to West City.
 
Along the way, Bra used her cell phone to call her mother and prepare her for what was to arrive. By the time they touched down outside of Capsule, they were greeted by a slew of private medics, supervised by Bulma herself. At sight of them, she waved Gohan to land with his precious cargo. Carefully he placed Trunks on the waiting stretcher amidst the medical staff. Bra hugged her mother tightly, looking on helplessly while Bulma barked orders for the team swarming around the prone figure of her son. Gohan and Goten backed up, and glanced at Bulma.
 
"We've got to compare notes! Will Pan be okay, or do one of you want to go back and make sure?" the blue-haired beauty asked.
 
"I want to stay with Trunks. I don't wanna be a bitch, but even though she's my friend…"
 
"Bra don't worry. Marron just arrived. She's worried sick. I think it would help if you went in to talk to her, honey. Goten, maybe it would be best if you helped keep an eye on Trunks."
 
"If it's all right with you, Bulma, I want to make sure Pan's okay. But I don't want to leave you alone in case, you know…" Gohan trailed off.
 
"I know. You can use my cell here to call Videl. Just why you don't carry a cell phone I don't…"
 
"Here, take mine," Goten tossed Gohan his cell phone and he caught it neatly, nodding his thanks.” A bit on the old fashioned side, the brilliant scholar always seemed to forget his own mobile device. They all bustled inside the busy complex after the new patient rolled rapidly inside.
 
"Make sure you take him to the new med bay. The one prepared for Vegeta," she called. They nodded, wheeling their President into the special medical suite, custom built for tending to injured Saiyans. There a huge tank bubbled with regenerative fluids, that included a ki suppressor which could keep Trunks under if he surfaced from his comatose state. Gohan helped program the device while Bulma assisted in setting up the electrodes with the aid of her medical team. Each was sworn to secrecy, knowing that if they leaked some sensational tale to the press that the President of Capsule was injured, their asses would be handed to them on a platter.
 
Bra watched, now joined by a weeping Marron, as her brother was lowered carefully into the Capsule regeneration tank. Bulma turned to her audience, announcing, "It's the best way. I'd rather have him here where we can keep him safe. He's pretty badly hurt… more so than we thought. The devices can monitor him…"
 
"Good thinking Bulma… I know this is killing you, having your own son like a…"
 
"Lab specimen, Gohan? I'm angry as hell, but he's going to get the best treatment Capsule can buy. I want to find out who or WHAT the hell did this to Trunks. And while the medics get him stabilized, I want him where I can keep him safe… from himself… if I have to," the blue-haired scientist revealed.
 
Events passed swiftly for each of them: during which Goten wished he could sit vigil by Trunks' bedside. However, Bulma insisted the best thing they could do at that moment was to meet in her living room area and compare notes so they could figure out together what to do next. They had to collect their thoughts and find out what went wrong. Bra struggled to comfort a tearful Marron, and reassure her that they were doing all they could to help Trunks. Then Juhachi-gou arrived and insisted on taking her daughter home because at that point, all they could do was wait.
 
"I want to stay with him!" Marron insisted.
 
"Let her sit vigil," Bra whispered to Goten. Bulma nodded, and Juhachi-gou insisted on staying with her offspring. Krillin was there too, worried sick as everyone else was.
 
"I'll look after things down here, Bulma. Juhachi-gou and I. I'm sure we can handle things if something goes wrong… you guys leave it to us," Krillin reassured Bulma. She nodded, then shoed her family out of the medical lab so the doctors could continue to monitor and stabilize her son. All forlornly regarded one another, not speaking aloud but internalizing their respective fears.
***
An hour later, Gohan handed Goten his cell phone. He'd called Videl and Mr. Satan, who were on their way to meet Uub at the hospital. Chichi had been in a panic and frenzy when he had contacted her, and insisted on being there herself. Then she decided abruptly to run in and take charge herself and the line had gone dead from someone struggling to get the phone. After that, Videl had called back, reassuring him that Chichi was rushing home to prepare Pan's room and pack a few things to bring to the hospital later because her mother in law needed to be doing something more than just patiently standing by. That was for Videl to do. Mr. Satan fielded any possible reporters that happened to be creeping about. Something that Bulma's press secretary would invariably do once word leaked out about Trunks.
 
Or if questions arose about Pan. Her friends would be worried sick not to see her in school, so Chichi busied herself calling all of them. Her industrious, tidy nature was best spent in this manner. Things would be spotless when her firstborn returned home, Gohan mentally chuckled. Now they had to break the news to Vegeta and Goku, once they knew WHAT to tell them.
 
"I think we should hold off till we know what's going on," Bulma had whispered to Gohan. He had agreed, and so had the others. It wouldn't do to have the volatile Saiya-jin no Ouji blasting or blowing things up in a blind rage. It was hard to predict how he would take the news of his son suddenly acting like he was possessed. They didn't even know if that was the case. All they had to go on was the testimony of Uub's ki sense and his strange behavior towards Pan.
 
Currently, Gohan paced a track in the carpet, waiting for a callback from Videl. In the meantime, he joined the small group gathered around tea served by Bulma's house bots. Glancing at her daughter, Bulma urged, "Bra, you had better start first. Gohan's told me what he knows, but I think it's easier if we begin with your tale."
 
"I agree," Goten nodded. "I'll chime in if there's anything I can add to it."
 
"And Marron," put in Gohan.
 
"Juhachi-gou's told me what she knows," confessed Bulma.
 
Sifting through a slew of memories, Bra struggled to recall just when she first noticed her brother acting strange. Seated on the sectional in the vast living room in Capsule, she felt the pained eyes of her worried mother closely regarding her. Frustrated, her injured friend's father paced around the sofa, fingering the glasses he wore. Cursing, he finally pulled them off and tossed them down on the coffee table.
 
"Gohan, please sit down! I know you're worried and you've a RIGHT to be, but this isn't going to help…"
 
"Where's Vegeta?" he demanded, glaring at the creator of the dragon radar accusingly. "My daughter was attacked by Trunks… YOUR son and you can just sit there so calm?"
 
"That's right mister. He is my son, and I am worried SICK. I'm outraged that this happened too, and without me noticing!"
 
"I'm trying to remember and it's hard with you two shouting," Bra suddenly interrupted, raising both hands. "Knock it off, will you!"
 
Both her mother and Pan's father froze, standing almost nose to nose in their argument. Under the young heiress' frustrated stare, they both retreated. Gohan lowered himself to sit down on an easy chair and sullenly regard Bulma. Despite her air of calm, he knew it was a well-trained act. "Young lady, watch your tone," was all Bulma could muster. That made Gohan raise an eyebrow because it seemed highly unusual that Bulma would snap at her daughter so. It almost seemed like a Chichi moment instead of a Bulma one.
 
"Mom! I'm sorry, but I'm pissed too! I wish to Dende I'd noticed something before, but come on! We're ALL to blame. And you didn't believe her, Gohan!" Bra poked an accusing finger at him. Just then Goten wandered in, his face creased with worry.
 
"Bra, please give him a break. He didn't know. And I'm also to blame," he interrupted, marching in and standing in between his friend and his older brother. "I can hear you all yelling down the hall! What is this, a war? Could your arguing help Trunks?"
 
"It isn't helping Pan much either," Gohan sullenly grumbled. "If Videl wasn't looking after Pan…."
 
"You're just feeling guilty because both of you didn't pay attention. And I didn't listen hard enough," Bra voiced. She had put into words Goku's two sons had failed to state.
 
"We can play the blame game till Trunks comes round, but we still need to figure out what happened exactly," Bulma suggested. Her scientific mind already whirled and clicked with the cogitating gears she always drew upon in a crisis. Although it involved her son and a family friend, she tried to remain aloof. She had learned that skill all too well from her husband and other half.
****
Several hundred miles away, Videl privately fretted over her injured daughter. Uub had personally transported her to the small hospital near the Son's family home, where a local practitioner carefully examined her. Fortunately Dr. Iodine was well acquainted with the peculiarities of the Son family physiology. For years, she had been held in the strictest confidence not to divulge their Saiyan nature to the rest of the world. First with Chichi, when she'd had the finances, then Videl Satan had used money as leverage to insure their privacy. The Ox Princess had done her work well, informing everyone connected to Pan about her granddaughter's injuries. Even so, she'd kept their true cause secret.
 
The task of communicating with the doctors fell naturally to Videl, who was quite glad to have Chichi bustling about. Spotting her husband's pensive protégé, the frying-pan-wielding grandmother nudged him. "Young man, you could use a fresh change of clothes," she said.
 
"Mrs. Son… um… that would be great," he quickly perked up. Chichi handed him a neatly folded bundle. Years of living in and out of the Son household taught him to accept her hospitality or face the consequences of an emotional thunderstorm. As long as Chichi felt useful and needed as a grandmother, wife, and mother, she was content. Those that disrupted her did so at their own peril.
 
Videl glanced over at the two, then sighed with relief that Uub had something to do other than feel guilty. Chichi wandered over and sat down along with her large bag of useful things. Reaching inside, she pulled out a large thermos and set it down on the table to her left. "How are you holding up, dear?" Chichi fussed, pouring two cups she had also extracted from her bottomless bag.
 
Smiling bravely, Gohan's wife took the offered cup, and sipped from it. The sweet tang of warm ginseng tea spread from her tongue into her system, invigorating her shattered nerves. A knowing glance passed from mother to daughter in law. All Chichi did was reach over and take Videl's other hand in her own to give it a small squeeze.
 
"I know dear. You don't have to say anything. The doctors are having you wait out here," Chichi uttered sympathetically. "Don't worry. You know that this is the same doctor that patched up our boys and young lady each time they came back from those adventures, don't you?"
 
"Dr. Iodine's a miracle worker all right, Ma," Videl agreed, swallowing another mouthful of sweet tea. "But Pan, when she woke up… she kept insisting that…"
 
"She's quite a spirited girl, all right. A little warrior. So much like her grandfather. I know how hard it is to keep her in school…"
 
"Yes. But this didn't even happen on an adventure," Videl the worried mother, burying her face in her hands. Quickly, Chichi took the plastic mug quickly that tipped from her shaking hand before it fell. Then she set it down next to hers before embracing her daughter in law tightly. For a moment, they rocked together while the older woman shushed her. They clung together, drawing strength from one another. Although Chichi had faced such things many times in the past, it killed her to see her own son's family going through something similar.
 
Meanwhile, Uub had found the men's room and changed out of his sweaty gi. For some reason, appearing well groomed and not as if he had fought within an inch of his life felt extremely important to him at the moment. Neatly folded, the used clothing would probably end up being laundered by Chichi. Carefully, he washed his hands and face, wiping away the burns and tending to the bruises that would quickly heal. Although he wasn't a Saiyan, his physiology insured accelerated healing from any wounds. His entire body was an instrument perfectly tuned for fighting, according to his mentor Goku.
 
Yet other skills proved difficult for him to master. Even though he was one of ten children, his mom expected him to find a nice wife and start a family of his own. She understood her son's need to prioritize, in favor of his skills. He had vowed to win enough prize money to feed them all. Thanks to Mr. Satan's backing, he'd succeeded. Armed with the Satan patronage and the promise of competing in many other tournaments, Uub sought his fortune passing on what Goku had instilled in him.
 
Because he was human, he could easily hold back so none of his students were harmed. Of course, many of the girls of the village admired him, still they also kept their distance due to awe or fear of his abilities. To them, he was akin to a hero or demigod, inaccessible and far above their breeding.
 
Uub dried his face with one of the restroom's paper towels, and tackled his hair with the comb and brush Videl had lent him. That first stop at her home yielded a small bundle of Pan's things but he didn't realize part of them were for his benefit. He would have to thank her later and wash the clothes he now wore: a simple faded Satan City University T-shirt and well-worn jeans. Something told him they'd previously belonged to Gohan. This thought caused him to smile a bit because he was accustomed to wearing the hand-me-downs of his siblings.
 
Concern for Pan resurfaced in his musings, and he frowned at his reflection. "I can't be messing around in here! I have to see how she is…"
 
Modern technology was something he had seen before in one form or another, even if his village was rural and remote. Some people would think he lived in a mud hut and ate raw vegetables. In reality, his people DID use dried mud to make the walls of their dwellings, topping them with thatched woven roofs and clean dirt or stone floors. Nevertheless, each home had a small inexpensive laptop for the education of their children, along with a fairly modern camping stove. Those that chose to live by the old ways did so, along with the occasional modern convenience. But they did so on their terms, without sacrificing their identity.
 
Many of his fellow villagers wore T-shirts and jeans along with their customary garb. He alternated between wearing modern and traditional clothing while not in the ring. When fighting, he proudly wore his teacher's orange and blue gi, or comfortable loose pants and no shirt save a wrap around sash.
 
He rushed back to the waiting room, where molded white plastic chairs were arranged in groups of three and two. Between each set was a small particleboard table laden with stacks of dog-eared magazines. Reading an older issue of Orange City Cosmopolitan was Pan's mother with her grandmother seated next to her. Uub carefully sat down on Videl's other side, not wanting to bother her but quivering with anticipation for any news.
 
"Are you two all right?" he asked.
 
"I'm so glad Goten's clothes fit you," Chichi answered. Lowering her magazine Videl agreed, though she said nothing. Her light blue eyes were still clouded with worry, but her momentary distraction was noticing how well Chichi had 'mothered' the hero who had saved her daughter.
 
"Thank you! It's really nice of you. I just… how is she…" he found himself blurting out.
 
"Now, now, why don't take a seat with us?" suggested his mentor's wife.
 
Why were the words awkward to voice all of a sudden? He knew Chichi pretty well over all the years Goku spent training him . Sometimes, the sessions involved Uub staying with the Sons, on other occasions, Goku lived in his student's village. Always he helped feed everyone by catching huge fishes and sharing them with his family. He insisted on helping with his share of the work because he knew that food was something that they didn't have in abundance.
 
Videl reported, "They're in with her now. I don't know much more than you do. But she's tough. You got to her just in time…"
 
"She came to me just in time," Uub couldn't help correcting her. "I wish I'd known…."
 
Chichi huffed, "You were halfway around the world. How could you have known?"
 
"I'm sorry I just feel so angry. If I'd known how to use Instant Transmission yet, I'd have done so much more, Ms. Videl!" the tanned warrior reproached himself.
 
With a sigh Videl said, "Uub, please stop it. You're being too hard on yourself. Pan's alive, and she's going to make it. She's had far worse. When she and her Grandpa were looking for the Dragonballs…"
 
"I know but still… I wish I could have stopped him before it happened. Didn't anyone NOTICE?" he continued, voice raised slightly in anger.
 
"Keep it down will you? People are staring," Chichi shushed him, causing him to stop cold, and settle back into his chair again. Embarrassed for losing his cool, he muttered an apology.
 
"That's what I'd like to know, Uub," Videl nodded. Rage filled her face, feelings that she held back for the sake of composure in front of strangers. Now that Uub revealed his outrage, she felt free enough to give voice to hers.
 
"Now it's a bit unfair for you to say that, the way I see it, young man. If he fooled Pan long enough to do what he did… he could have fooled you all," Pan's grandmother sniffed.
 
This seemed to help Uub feel a bit better as he explained, "I just forget that you can't see ki like I can. The way Goku taught me."
 
"Mrs. Son?" interrupted the physician's voice. Both mother and daughter in law turned at the same time to face the figure in pink and blue patterned scrubs. She carried a clipboard, and her old style stethoscope dangled around her neck. Overtop the outfit she wore a crisp white labcoat, with the name Dr. Iodine stitched over one pocket.
 
"Yes?" they chorused.
 
The doctor sat down among them, giving a reassuring smile. "She's a tough young lady."
 
"Well how is she?" Chichi asked first.
 
"Please, is she still awake? Can we see her?" Videl added.
 
"Yes, just as soon as I've explained her injuries. She's going to have to stay under observation overnight here. She's got a major concussion and several broken ribs…."
 
"Oh my… that's worse then I expected," the patient's mother put a hand to her mouth. Chichi shushed her gently, glancing expectantly at the doctor to continue.
 
"And a fractured ankle. Not to mention multiple contusions and bruises. But otherwise she should come through. And yes she's asking for you…"
 
"Is it possible for me to spend the night here with her?" Videl asked next.
 
"Of course. We'll bring a foldout for you, Mrs. Son. Would you like to come with me… and we'll get her checked in?"
 
"All right. I figured she might have to stay overnight at least," Videl said.
 
"I've brought some of her favorite things to make her comfortable," Chichi patted her voluminous bag that she shoulder.
 
"I guess they only let family see her," Uub mumbled.
 
"Only immediate family, I'm afraid," she regarded him apologetically.
 
"Oh nonsense! He's practically part of the family," Pan's grandmother insisted.
 
"Please?" her mother added.
 
Dr. Iodine nodded, knowing secretly that the daughter of Hercule Satan was someone you didn't question, not to mention the Ox Princess. By virtue of Videl's celebrity status, she couldn't be refused. Her father had donated considerable amounts of money to have these local clinics built.
 
"I wonder if her grandfather will want to come back… I mean… Mr. Satan," muttered Uub as they followed the doctor to Pan's assigned room.
 
"He says he's busy fending off reporters," Chichi informed with a roll of her eyes.
 
"He'll probably show up as soon as he can make it…" Videl chuckled. "Bless him."
 
"Mrs. Son, Thanks for… well," Uub turned to Chichi.
 
"Vouching for you? I was right when I said what I did. I mean you DID live with us a good part of the time."
 
"Or across from us anyway," smiled Gohan's wife, resting a hand on his shoulder.
***
 
Swathed in bandages, Pan tilted her head to look at her three visitors. Dark eyes brightened up at the sight of her mother, grandmother, and friend once more. She whispered a hello, her eyes moving towards Uub once in a while.
 
"Hi sweetie. They say they'll have to keep you overnight at least…" Videl almost apologized.
 
"I sure hope you're going to listen to the doctors and lie still, Pan," Chichi tisked, hand on her hip. "That's the only way you can get better…"
 
"That's all right Mom, Grandma. I know they have to do what they have to do. Hey there… stranger," she bravely joked, turning her attention to Uub. Her hand with an IV tube stuck in the back extended towards him. He couldn't stop himself from reaching her side and gently grasping her hand in his.
 
"I'm so glad you're going to be okay," he softly answered. "I was so worried…."
 
"Pan, please. I don't want you hurt again. Not if I can help it, okay?" the young warrior retaliated. "I'm feeling rotten that I couldn't protect you!"
 
"Look, I don't need protecting. I mean you did help me out and all but dammit if I could only transform! This is so frustrating!" Pan growled.
 
"Watch that tongue, young miss, in front of your mother!" Chichi growled back.
 
"Grandma please! I'm sorry about that, but come on… can everyone stop hovering around me?"
 
" Don't say that, you need to lay down and rest, Pan. You only just got here," Uub scolded her before her mother or grandmother could.
 
"I'm 17 you know… I'll be out of here in no time, just you wait and see," the quarter-Saiyan protested. She and Uub glanced down at the same time, noticing their hands were still clasped. A slight blush came over his face and he gently released his grip.
 
"Young lady, this fine you man just saved your life so the least you can do is be more grateful," Chichi added.
 
"I am grateful but I'm SICK of being babied! How many times do I have to tell you I'm NOT A KID!" Pan almost screamed. Her eyes squeezed shut and she trembled all over. Flailing her arms she knocked over the tray tables and sent the IV flying. Luckily Uub caught hold of one arm while Chichi snatched the wandering IV pole.
 
"That's ENOUGH! Pan, for heaven's sake, listen to yourself!" Videl snapped. "Stop putting on that tough front, honey because I know better!"
 
At the sound of her mother and grandmother's scolding, Pan bit her lip. She regarded her mother with a mixture of shame and frustration. Uub could discern the flicker of her ki, while his gut instinct told him her rising temper was really a cover for intense fear. "Mom, I'm sorry. Uub… I just… it makes me so mad that he just could push me around! I was such a crybaby!"
 
"No you weren't, honey! You were brave. But sometimes you need to stop pretending you're indestructible! You're just as stubborn as your grandfather Satan!" her mother sighed.
 
"You should listen to your mother you know," Chichi shook her head.
 
"Now come on!" the frustrated young girl began.
 
Quickly her mother turned to the grandmother and whispered in her ear, "Ma, maybe you could go call my father and see if he's coming or not? Can I please speak to my daughter alone for a second? It would be a BIG help."
 
"As soon as she apologizes I will," Chichi sniffed. On the sidelines, Goku's protegee wondered if he should fade into the furniture or leave. Yet he chanced reaching for Pan's hand again, giving it a small squeeze. To his delight and relief, she did not shake it away. He perched on the stool nearby and faced Pan's mother and grandmother expectantly.
 
"Please Pan, I know it's hard," he whispered. The bandage-swaddled teenager turned to him.
 
"I'm sorry Grandma. And I'm sorry Uub. Look, I'm glad you were there for me, but I want to know what's going on with Trunks and why he's gone crazy. I'm so mad I could scream!"
 
"Of course you are," his mentor's wife acknowledged. "I'll be back soon. Now lie still and get some rest, okay?"
 
"I'll try…" Pan inhaled deeply, struggling to hold her cool before her grandmother. Once Chichi left the room tension was released a few notches. Still, the warrior maiden fumed there in her bed, forcing down all her frustration that was ready to explode. Pan rolled her eyes. "Mom please, I know that, but can't you see where I'm coming from?"
"I can sweetie. Believe me. Every time your father went off to fight. Before you were born. I wished I was as strong as he was."
 
Squeezing the bronze skinned warriors hand tightly she ranted, "But I'm part Saiyan. I'm a fighter! I should be able to change too, you know! Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean squat! I know I can become Super Saiyan if I just get strong enough!"
 
"But honey, you're only one quarter. We've talked about this before…"
 
"Oh great so you're saying Bra could have a better chance than me? Like that's ever gonna happen," Pan huffed, puffing up her cheeks in a way that seemed cute and exasperating.
 
"Pan, please try and rest, okay? If not for yourself, for your mom, huh?" Uub gently urged, squeezing her hand once more. Temporarily surprised by someone not yelling at her, she turned to him.
 
"Okay, I guess I'll try. I just… Mom… I…" Pan built up a tirade again only to suddenly trail off. All along, the tears pooling in her eyes threatened to fall, but she held them at bay. Now they rolled down her cheeks, only to have her angrily brush them away.
 
"Pan, sweetie, it's okay… he's not going to hurt you," Videl said, knowing just what her daughter was feeling. All the years she feigned toughness prepared her for a small version of herself sitting there. Before long Chichi and Hercule would likely stop by, and she would have preferred taking her daughter home instead of having a three ringed circus in the hospital. Knowing her father, he would allow the press free reign of this for a cheap shot of publicity.
 
Reaching over the hospital bed's bar, Videl hugged her daughter as carefully as she could, knowing the girl's ribs were taped. Flanked by Uub on her left Pan allowed herself finally to break down. Soon the only sound in the room other than the beeping of the IV and monitors was that of a girl crying in her mother's arms.