Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: This chapter is for nycscribe35, who wanted to see Aki interact with Gohan. Awww, we all know who your favorite demi-sayian is! So you'll get your daily quota of Gohan, okay? ^__^

Disclaimer: Just because you love it to pieces doesn't make it yours. (Unless it signs a contract. See the disclaimer for Chapter Three of my story Johnny's Worst Nightmare for details. And, what the hell, while you're there, read and review.) Therefore, I don't own DBZ or any of the characters therein, except for Aki and any other characters from her world who may or may not appear in this story.

Second Chance

Chapter Four

By nycscribe46

After quite an eventful evening meal, Aki didn't quite understand what had happened after she assisted Vegeta, but there seemed to be a quiet understanding between them. She found that it was now she who was looking at him obsessively. How did he come to be so strong? She had wanted so badly to live up to her mother's expectations, but after she died, it was difficult to find work, or a way to make money outside of selling her body or stealing. Food was in short supply, and as a result she was now malnourished and underdeveloped. She knew it would be months before she could even attempt training again. Aki brightened; maybe she could find a way to get on Vegeta's good side, if he had one, and by the time she was able to train, perhaps he wouldn't mind teaching her.

But it definitely appeared that he was more angry than gratified that she had helped him. Oh well. It looked as though that was his way, and she would just have to get used to it. She wasn't complaining. Things could be, and had been, worse. She reminded herself to say a prayer of thanks before she went to sleep, as she was braiding her long, ratty hair. Then she wondered if Yahweh could hear her, so far away from her world. She decided such thoughts were blasphemous. Of course He could; He had placed her here, saving her from certain death. She was safe and warm and well fed, and she had a home.

Aki knelt beside her bed, and struggled to keep all bitterness at salvation having come too late for her mother out of her mind. She thanked Yahweh for Bulma, and her kindness; she knew what she must have looked like when Bulma found her. She figured it must have been Bulma; Vegeta probably would have stepped right over her. She thanked Yahweh for the strength He had given her to keep fighting; she knew now that she had been fighting just long enough, until He could save her. She prayed for the safety of Senator Fuchida. Then she asked Yahweh to help her people-His people-to survive the war. She prayed that a fair-minded ruler would come to power.

Aki got into bed and immediately fell into the dreamless slumber of the weary.

*~*~*

Bulma went into Aki's room the next day at 10:30 a.m. She figured that twelve hours of sleep had been enough.

"Aki? Wake up, we're going to go to the courthouse today, remember? And then we're going to go shopping!"

"Mmrrgf?" said a groggy mass of blankets.

Bulma gently pulled back the covers to reveal [Aieee!] a sleepy, bed-headed Aki.

"Welcome to the land of the living, kid. You've been out for while. I brought something for you to wear." She held up a red dress. "Want me to comb your hair?"

Aki eyed the dress thoughtfully, and nodded at Bulma's request.

Bulma unbraided Aki's hair and parted it, tsk-ing at the split ends and choppy, varied lengths.

"You need a haircut. Yet another thing on the to-do list. Well, how's this?"

Bulma had parted Aki's hair down the middle and put it into two braids on either side of her head. It made her look even younger than she was. Bulma held up a mirror, unable to convey how adorable Aki looked, even with the cuts and bruises, but then she saw the sad expression on her face.

"You don't like it?"

"No, it's not that. My mother used to braid my hair like this. I just miss her, that's all."

"Oh, I understand." Bulma put an arm around her.

Aki looked up at the dress in Bulma's hand.

"You don't have to wear this if you don't want to. I asked my mother if she had anything from when I was a kid, and this is what she came up with. It's been cleaned, of course-"

"I'll wear it."

Bulma was surprised; Aki definitely didn't seem to be the type that liked dresses.

"Okay, if that's what you want. Breakfast is ready downstairs, so after you get dressed, you can eat, and we'll go."

Bulma left, and closed the door behind her.

Aki stripped and put on the dress. She stared at herself in the mirror. The dress had short sleeves and went just past her knees. She could see angry red marks all over her pale, skinny limbs. Some were old; some were new, the most recent ones stitched neatly by Bulma. She looked at her face. The cut on her forehead looked awful. She had a few yellowing bruises on the side of her face.

Other than that, she looked dandy.

Aki licked her dry, cracked lips and left her room, bounding down the steps with glee. She smiled, but it hurt so she stopped. Bulma looked at her strangely.

Amazing what a new dress can do to a girl.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

Bulma walked over to the table with a plate of eggs, toast, and bacon for Aki. She set it down, and looked at Aki's happy but marred features.

"Are you in any pain at all?"

"Pain?"

Bulma gestured vaguely in Aki's direction. The girl's entire body was practically wrecked.

"No, I'm fine. Really."

Bulma shook her head.

"Still, we should get you a senzu bean. That should help. I think at least the recent scars will go away."

Aki was going to ask what a senzu bean was, but then Bulma shoved a plate of hot food under her nose. So she ate it.

They got ready to leave and had gotten as far as the living room when Bulma realized that she had forgotten her purse. And her credit cards, as well as her checkbook. Aki sat down on the couch to wait. While Bulma was upstairs, the doorbell rang. Aki stood up, but Mrs. Briefs came in from the hall to get it. Aki sat back down again, and heard a voice ask for Bulma, and Mrs. Briefs invite someone in to wait for her. Aki looked up to see a dark haired boy about her age walk in beside Mrs. Briefs, who took it upon herself to introduce them.

"Aki, this is Gohan. Such a nice boy, he came all the way over here to thank Bulma himself."

"Actually, my mom sent me," said Gohan. He looked down at the girl on the couch, who was twisting her hands about self-consciously.

Aki glanced up at him quickly, and then returned her gaze to the floor.

"And Gohan, this is Aki. She's going to be staying with us. Trunks tells me that she saved Vegeta from choking on his dinner last night!"

"Really?" asked Gohan. He sat down next to Aki on the couch. She tried not to turn away from him, even though she knew her face looked terrible. It would be rude. She didn't move, still staring straight ahead, giving Gohan a great view of her profile. He had to have noticed the bruises, cuts and burns. But he didn't say anything mean to her, to Aki's surprise. If anything, he looked sympathetic.

"Are you okay?"

Aki sighed. Well, looking like she did, what did she expect to hear? At least he cared enough to ask.

"Yes, I'm fine. And no, Vegeta didn't do this to me, although he wasn't too grateful for my help last night."

"Yeah, he's like that. But how did you get so beat up? And how did you meet Bulma?"

Aki opened her mouth, and then shut it abruptly.

"It's a long story…"

"Hi, Gohan. What's up?" Bulma had finally located her purse and came downstairs, saving Aki from having to tell the strangest story that Gohan had probably ever heard.

Gohan turned around and waved at Bulma.

"Oh, my mom wanted me to come over and thank you for those capsules you sent."

"No problem. Aki and I were about to go out." Bulma noticed how Aki wasn't quite looking at Gohan. Those two were about the same age. Aki certainly hadn't had time for dates in the middle of a war, and Gohan seldom escaped from his studies. Chi-Chi meant business. That kid really needed a break. And Aki was definitely exhibiting signs of that 'there's a cute boy in the vicinity' type of instant shyness, so Bulma decided to give things a little push.

"Hey Gohan, do you want to come with us?"

Gohan considered his options. It was either go out with Bulma or return to a steady block of algebra and earth science until mealtime.

"Okay," he said.

Aki's eyes looked like satellite dishes for a moment. Bulma almost laughed out loud.

As Aki got up from the couch, her hand touched Gohan's briefly.

"Sorry," she whispered.

"That's all right," said Gohan, who had no idea why she was apologizing.

Mrs. Briefs leaned into Bulma and whispered, "Aren't they cute?"

Bulma just grinned. This was going to be fun.

She took Aki and Gohan's arms and led them to her car.

Aki stared at it as if she'd never seen one before.

"What is that?"

Gohan looked at her strangely.

"It's a car. Haven't you seen one before? Where are you from, anyway?"

Bulma sensed Aki's discomfort.

"She's from really far away. Look, Gohan, she's been through a lot, so give her a break, okay?"

"I didn't mean anything-"

"It's all right. It isn't Gohan's fault I don't know anything about your world, Bulma. Let's just go." She got into the car after Gohan opened the door for her. He followed and shut the door.

Bulma seated herself behind the steering wheel and told them to put on their seat belts.

Aki stared blankly.

Gohan realized that if she didn't know what a car was, Aki probably didn't know what a seat belt was either. Or how to put one on.

"Let me help you with that." Gohan reached across Aki's body to get the seat belt. She blushed but didn't say anything.

Gohan fastened Aki's seat belt securely, smiling at her genially.

A small smile found its way onto Aki's face.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now where are we headed, Bulma?" asked Gohan as he put on his own seat belt.

"First we're going to the courthouse. That might take a while, since we're going to make Aki's adoption official. Then we're going to go shopping, and get Aki's hair done. And remind me to go see Koran, so we can get Aki a senzu bean."

Gohan nodded, and then said questioningly, "Aki's adoption?"

"I'm going to adopt her."

"Oh." Gohan glanced at Aki. She didn't look too happy about it.

Aki mistook Gohan's look of concern for curiosity, and said in an emotionless monotone,

"My parents are dead."

"Oh, I'm sorry. My dad died three years ago. I really miss him."

" I'm sorry for your loss. I never knew my father. He died before I was born. My mother died three years ago. I miss her."

Gohan put his arm around Aki's shoulders tentatively. She allowed herself to relax. He understood her pain. She kind of leaned against him unintentionally. He let her.

No one spoke until they reached the courthouse.

Gohan stepped out of the car first, taking Aki's hand gently as she stepped out of the car. He continued to hold her hand as they went up the stairs into the building. Bulma thought this was incredibly sweet and decided not to say anything that would ruin it.

Bulma pointed to a bench just outside the notary's office and told Gohan and Aki to wait.

"Aki, I'll call you if we need you for anything, okay?"

Aki nodded, and sat down next to Gohan.

Aki still looked sad, and Gohan gave her hand a little squeeze. He assumed she was upset about her mother. He knew what that felt like, and hated to remember the day he lost his father himself. But it must be hard to try not to think about it, on the day when you're getting a new mother, legally at least.

He felt Aki squeeze his hand back, and he saw her eyes turn angry, and frustrated.

"What's wrong?"

Aki was staring at the far wall and shaking her head, as if disapproving of something that Gohan couldn't see.

"It's not fair," she said, her voice shaking.

"I know," he said compassionately.

"She was so stupid," Aki continued.

Gohan looked at her, confused.

"What are you talking about?"

"She died trying to save the world, and she knew it. She knew she wouldn't live to see it, and she did it anyway. She knew I needed her, but she just did what she thought was right, and it wasn't enough. And she died. She died for nothing! She couldn't stop them," and with that Aki broke down and cried. In three years, she had never cried like that. There was no war, nothing to distract her from her grief.

Gohan didn't know what to do. He just let Aki cry on his shoulder, thinking about what she had said. Her mother had died saving the world?

"When was this?" Gohan blurted out.

Aki looked up, glanced down at the huge spot she had made on Gohan's shirt, and immediately apologized, embarrassed beyond belief.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"That's okay," Gohan interrupted. "But when did your mother die trying to save the world? I think I might have noticed." It was bad enough that Hercule had taken all the credit for defeating Cell, but now it seemed like every Tom, Dick and Harry was laying a claim.

Aki wiped her eyes hastily.

"I'm not from this planet. At least, I don't think so." Bulma's theory had been a little confusing. "Um, I think Bulma said that Iftel is really Earth, but in a different dimension, and under a different name. Or something like that. My mother died three years ago, trying to fight the rebel army. They ambushed her, and she could have escaped, but she just destroyed the entire compound, while she was in it. She took out half the army and their weapons, but it was suicide. And she didn't defeat them. They came right back, and are probably taking over the throne as we speak."

"Oh. I'm sorry for asking, but my father died trying to save the world, too. There was this android called Cell who was just evil. He murdered so many people just to get stronger. It was horrible. He threatened to self-destruct and destroy the entire planet, but my dad used this technique to transport himself and Cell away from Earth just before he blew up. My dad died, but somehow Cell came back. It made me so mad."

Gohan's hands became fists, and Aki felt his energy level rise. She put a hand on his arm, and the look of rage on his face calmed.

"What happened? I mean, after Cell came back."

"Oh. Cell and I fought, and eventually I defeated him, with help from Vegeta and everybody. It wasn't easy though. I didn't know if I could do it, but I felt like my dad was there with me, and he helped me too."

"That's good. At least you avenged him. You did better than I did."

"We both did the best we could. I just got lucky, that's all. Don't feel bad, okay? I'm sure your mother wouldn't want you to be sad."

Aki nodded.

"Gohan?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

Gohan smiled, rubbing the back of Aki's hand with his thumb.

"You're welcome."

Aki's face felt very warm, and she looked away from the boy who was caressing her hand so shamelessly.

"Aki, the notary would like to speak with you."

Bulma hated to break up such a heart-warming scene, but this was important.

"Okay." Gohan let go of Aki's hand and she walked into the office, glancing at him behind her before she was out of sight.

Gohan sat back on the bench. He knew his mom would be mad that he'd 'wasted' time that could be spent studying, but he didn't care.

It was worth it.