Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Still Here ❯ Rinascita ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Still Here

 

Disclaimers: Ho Hum. How should I put this? Dbz, how shall I own thee? Never! Never! Never! [Verbal Tear] Poetic enough for you?

 

And I'm still here too. Corny Author's joke. :ahem: Anyway! It's me and my ramblings again. Hope you never get tired of it.

 

First on the agenda… was the prize for the last chapter- Which no one won. So I'll keep the kudos. :insert grin: I guess we don't have very many Asian readers, ne?

 

Shojin is actually the Japanese word for prisoner, prison, or whatnot. (Clever, ne?) At least that is what my trusty little dictionary informed me. That's only the best that an ASL student can do. So sue me; we don't take written exams.

 

Once again, I must rant about the stupid quick-edit. So if you see :insert smiley face: it's because of quick-edit. Most anime fans will notice it's effect on our emotion faces. I don't quite understand how that's editing our document, but we'll just have work around it for now.

 

School's out. So updates will come more frequently unless something else distracts me. (Like writer's block.) But I have found that lately, with outlining every chapter beforehand, writer's block has seemed to fatigue me less. So there is hope in the darkness.

 

Enough with my rants and on with the story! Please review when you are done!

 

 

::LAST TIME ON STILL HERE::

 

"Vegeta." Bulma's weak voice came behind him, "The dragon balls…"

 

It was obnoxiously cold.

 

"Suicide? Me?"

 

Why am I still here?

 

"Gohan couldn't. Gohan wouldn't-"

 

"You're pregnant?"

 

"Okaasan's pregnant?"

 

"Just wait a year, Chichi. I promise you'll be a mother again."

 

   ---------------------------

 

Chapter Three- Rinascita

 

---------------------------

 

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"
-John Greenleaf Whittier

 

-------------

 

The room was filled with the creaking of a old rocking chair. Up and down it played it serene voice upon the room. It made listeners feel aged and calm. Like they too received wisdom from it's sound. It was a sad sound. It was all alone, save for the clicking of sewing needles. Those had no more effect on the gloom then the chair.

 

It was these sounds that filled the demi sayian. These sounds he had come to understand.

 

Several months had passed.

 

Seven and a day, Gohan recalled with quiet wonder.

 

Each had trickled away like grains of sand, slipping right through his fingers. Without participation, Gohan found days slipped by much faster then he thought they would. He never ate. He never slept. He just watched the movie take place before him.

 

To complain meant that he was dissatisfied with the punishment given. It should have been much worse. Gohan knew this… He was glad to count his blessings.

 

He was still hanging around- haunting Capsule Corp in a sense. He could never go far from his mother's side or else bear a horrible weight. But then again, he never felt the need to leave. He'd daydream when she slept. And kept himself preoccupied when she took care of her own business.

 

His mother was recovering his death quite nicely. Perhaps faster and cleaner then Gohan would have liked. His name was less spoken, and Gohan began to feel more forgotten.

 

They never held a wake. Chichi had absolutely refused it. She still believed he'd come back.

 

Gohan wished they had given him one. It would give them closure. Right now they were all tangled in a game of fate- powers that mortals shouldn't mess with. The dragon balls were the biggest mistake the Gods could have made.

 

It gave false hopes.

 

Gohan dreaded that day- the day five months from now. If he came back, Gohan feared his family's embrace and their anger at his attempted suicide. But if he didn't… Gohan didn't want to think about that.

 

 

Chichi's belly had swelled tremendously over time. Gohan had kept constant check over the spirit inside her. It never responded in words. Just in emotions consisting of 'Hungry' or 'Happy'. But Gohan loved that child's happiness. It was all warm and bubbly. Like when he was with his Otousan. Distant memories…Gohan could tell the child would be just like him.

 

He figured it would be a boy. It kicked too much to be a girl.

 

It would be coming soon too.

 

Besides feeling the baby's emotions, Gohan found he could sense nearly everyone's emotions he got near enough to. Not necessarily the same way in which he felt the child's though. There were scents the body let off while it experienced different emotions. Although Gohan didn't think he could smell anymore, this was the only way he could explain the way he read emotions.

 

Fear was a rather putrid smell of badly cooked meat. Happiness was like the sweet scent of flowers. Tranquil emotions often took a rather serene aroma of a fresh brook. Sadness was like a deep cologne that lingered too long in the nose. Anger was as sharp as the stink of fresh cut onions. And hope… it held no smell. But Gohan could smell it everywhere, in everyone that took residence in the Capsule Corporation.

 

Gohan turned instinctively as the door opened. Chichi remained in her chair- undaunted by the intrusion. She continued to sew, counting the stitches with every curve of her mouth. Gohan could smell his home again with a faint smell of burning onions overriding it.

 

Gohan's eyes watered. He blinked and looked at the intruder of his thoughts and his mother's room.

 

Vegeta stood in the frame.

 

"Have you seen Trunks?"

 

"Lost him again?" Chichi asked without losing count.

 

Vegeta didn't respond. He left letting the door slam shut at his exit. The smell of onions still hung in the air.

 

Gohan smiled softly- looking over his mother's shoulder at her neatly crocheted outfit. He leaned next to her ear and whispered,

 

         &nb sp;  "He's under the bed."

 

Chichi lifted her head but didn't respond. The woman stared longingly out the window seeing nothing but traffic and buildings.

 

She could move back home. It was rebuilt quite easily by Vegeta; under Bulma's command, of course. Lord knows his generosity went about as far as the edge of his nose. Maybe only to the bridge.

 

It was unfurnished for the most part but perfectly livable. It would definitely be healthier for her there then in the crowds of cities. This was something she wasn't used to. Gohan knew she hated every minute she spent here.

 

But she was waiting- waiting for Gohan to be revived.

 

It wouldn't be the same with her living in an empty house.

 

Gohan couldn't ask her to live alone… Not like he was living. No. He wouldn't wish that on anyone.

 

Gohan fell back lazily on the primly kept bed. His ghostly form bounced slightly at the contact. Or rather his wish of contact… His desire to be solid was the only thing that kept him hovering above it's fragile surface.

 

"Trunks-kun. He's gone."

 

A little head poked it's way out from beneath the drapes of it's blankets. It cooed and then pulled out it's body completely. Lilac topped head just barely reaching the mattress, the child rounded it's big blue eyes upon it's prey.

 

         &nb sp;  "Awunt ChuChu," Trunks, as he was still called, replied before scrambling to the side of her chair, "was he mad?"

 

         &nb sp;  "Yes." called Gohan from the four-poster.

 

         &nb sp;  "No."

 

Chichi chuckled as she put her work down. Trunks immediately sat himself in her lap, as if eager for some sort of tale. A habit he had been forming lately. A habit Chichi had been letting him form. He was still small enough to fit; something Gohan envied the boy for. 

 

Gohan watched them dolefully, silently despising Trunks.

 

Trunks leaned his head on Chichi's large stomach listening patiently for the heartbeat. He jerked back in surprise- suddenly, with hand clutching cheek,

 

         &nb sp;  "He kicked!"

 

         &nb sp;  "He does that."

 

Gohan found himself smiling, much to his displeasure. The smell was intoxicating.

 

Trunks' eyes were shining a strange and foreboding blue. The prospect of a new friend completely obsessed his little mind; just as it would any child.

 

He might be far too rough the first couple of years. Gohan worried.

 

His hands were on Kaasan's belly, hugging the child within.

 

         &nb sp;  "Bwother." He whispered.

 

Chichi didn't hear. Gohan did.

 

Gohan found himself on his feet and at their side before he knew what he was doing,

 

         &nb sp;  "Take that back!" Gohan snapped.

 

Trunks didn't respond.

 

         &nb sp;  "I said take it back!"

 

Gohan threw a punch. It went crashing through Trunks' skull. A swooshing sound ripped at the air- ringing in the ears. Trunks didn't react. It never connected. No broken body. No blood.

 

Trunks shivered and smiled.

 

Teeth still all in place.

 

         &nb sp;  "When it come out?"

 

         &nb sp;  "Soon, Trunks-kun."

 

         &nb sp;  "Ah. You always say that." He replied, playfully sticking out his tongue.

 

Gohan fell back on the bed- dumbstruck. His face was burning with a numbness. He groped at it, trying to keep it from falling. To keep him from crying.

 

If he really had a face it would probably be as white as the sheets on the bed. They reflected his horror. Reflected his stupidity.

 

He tried to strike Trunks… Tried to strike a baby.

 

No. Not just strike- kill.

 

But why?

 

Because he took my brother. He tried to take my brother away from me.

 

He was just a baby though. He-

 

doesn't know what he's talking about. That could be his brother for all he knows.

 

But then again, that brother-

 

was never mine to begin with.

 

Gohan fell back and rolled over.

 

He pushed his face into the soft covers laughing hysterically. Laughing so hard- so much that he cried.

 

How could he? How dare he? He didn't exist anymore, remember?

 

The smell continued to linger. Wonderful sweet smell of bliss. Putrid and reeking of all it's glory. Gohan tried to block it out. Shove the sheets up his nose if he had to. But he didn't exist. The sheets never moved- the bed never creaked at his weight. He was weightless. He was soulless. Nonexistent and brotherless.

 

-----

 

"I'm sorry, Chichi. He sometimes gets like this."

 

"Gets like WHAT- Onna!"

 

"Stop calling me that! Do you have to argue with everything I say?"

 

"Why not? You do it to me!"

 

She smiled delicately at the couple's bickering. Her face kept soft in it's understanding. It reminded her of earlier more buoyant years with Goku. And it didn't hurt. Thank Kami it no longer hurt.

 

It was lunchtime. Trunks was being punished for his antics earlier with an afternoon of his grandparents' company. Normally it wouldn't be so bad for him. But his grandmother was under strict orders to not allow any borrowing of cookies. Gramps was always there if she failed. Chichi doubted that stopped Trunks though. He had too much of his mother in him.

 

She was leaning on a wooden table that perfectly fit six or so. Three untouched glasses rested in the middle next to a large pitcher. Their contents gleamed a pale yellow. Each was filled to the brim with lemonade- so plenty was to spare.

 

The fight had discarded all such lesser matters. Chichi wasn't thirsty anyway.

 

She played a dark lock around her finger watching the two.

 

They'd never admit it. They didn't even get married- heaven forbid. But they were in love. And they loved getting at each other's throats like this. It was a strange way of showing affection. But then again, they were all strange people.

 

Chichi had found, with a touch of sadness, that she had settled down. She hardly rose her voice anymore. Could barely find herself raising the tone above a whisper half the time. Weak and frail, she would make any sayian scorn with contempt. Humans would give her pity looks. Not that she needed them. She had more then enough to go around.

 

Old and wised up, was she, with more sad and lonely tales then she'd dare to tell. And for Kami's sake, Chichi was only just touching her thirties.

 

She placed a hand on her stomach feeling the soft heartbeat echo through it.

 

You are the only thing that is keeping your kaasan together, Ten. The only thing.

 

"Chichi-chan?"

 

She raised her head; meeting those concerned eyes again. She was starting to despise them.

 

"Are you alright? You kind of just zoned out on us."

 

"Now how could I? With all that racket you two were making?"

 

Ah. Nice save. I think you are making me smarter, Ten. Ha. I'll bet you'll be a scholar.

 

Bulma frowned and cast a look to her spouse. He gave no such look back. Her footing gone, Bulma retreated.

 

She pulled at her chin and then smiled,

 

"You want to come out to the greenery room with us, Chi? I think Donna may let us see her brood today."

 

Ah. Goku's nickname. I'm afraid it's not the same when other's say it.

 

Chichi smiled lightly and played at her chin as well.

 

She looked upwards. The sun was spilling from the glassed hole in it's ceiling. No doubt compliments from Vegeta. The kitchen was a dangerous place when sayians arrived in it.

 

She had had experience in such matters.

 

"I'm afraid Chi has a bit of a cold."

 

Now don't you ever go calling your Kaasan that, Ten.

 

"Besides, I think that pinkish pterodactyl has it in for me. Won't be much good for the baby if his mother is mauled before his birthday."

 

"You said his?" Bulma smiled playfully, "You think it's a boy."

 

Chichi cast her gaze downward before smiling,

 

"Well he kicks as nearly as much as Gohan did. Either that or a rather violent young tomboy." Chichi paused and then continued a bit weaker, "They certainly hurt more then Gohan's kicks did."

 

Vegeta let off a snort,

 

"Course. Goku was stronger. This child will be too."

 

"Ah well. Guess he'll be a good addition to the Z team then." Chichi grinned patting her stomach.

 

When she looked up, both Vegeta and Bulma were giving her the most peculiar stares.

 

             "What?" She questioned somewhat bewildered.

 

             "Heh. Never mind." Bulma grinned sheepishly as Vegeta just shook his head, "Just- never thought I'd hear you say that."

 

             "Oh. Hum." Chichi settled herself into the back of her chair, "Well, why not? If he really is going to be that powerful, might as well put it to good use."

 

I'll just make sure your smart enough so that you won't be as thickheaded as your father. Ah, Ten. I pray you've got Gohan's brains.

 

             "It's just a part-time job anyway." Chichi shrugged, "He'll have to make a living. Super heroics don't usually come with paychecks."

 

             "Or else you'd be rich right?" Bulma grinned, nudging her softly with an elbow.

 

             "Damn Hercule for that." Chichi spat in frustration, "My son had more heroism in his pinky toe then that man had in his whole being."

 

             "Hai. I'd drink to that."

 

Glasses clanged. Even Vegeta had raised a glass. Which was surprising- for him.

 

The lemonade was a bit tart for her tastes, but she figured it would be good her baby. He needed to taste different things. She had grown a great distaste for her meatloaf lately as well. Chichi guess it was his influence striking again.

 

Chichi lowered her glass; surprised to find it empty. She stared at it, somewhat baffled, until she spoke,

 

             "I think Gohan would be happy… to hear he'll be an older brother."

 

        &nb sp;   "I'm sure he will be. We will tell him as soon as he comes back, Chichi-chan."

 

Bulma touched her shoulder. Chichi shook it off.

 

             "I need- a shower I think."

 

             "Come join us later, Chichi. The fresh air would do you good." Bulma chuckled softly, "Well, as fresh as it can be in a city like this."

 

Chichi paused in her struggle to compose herself. A smile lifted on her lips,

 

             "You know what? I think I will. Wait for me?"

 

             "Ah, Chichi. You know I will."

 

She went down the hall and out of their sights. Bulma let out a soft sigh at her exit,

 

             "I almost feel as if we are losing a bit of her everyday."

 

She waited for a cocky reply from her husband but he remained inanely still.

 

             "Well, aren't you going to disagree with me?"

 

             "Hmm."

 

He pulled away and leaned up against the wall.

            

             "Well say something!" Bulma snapped.

 

             "I say," Vegeta frowned, "if Gohan saw her as she is now- he wouldn't recognize her."

 

             "Eh…" Bulma scowled, bowing her head, "Dammit. You should have shut up."

 

Bulma gave him a light slap in the arm as she returned to her kitchen. He spotted some rather fat tears rolling down her cheeks as she left.

 

Vegeta groaned in exasperation. He'd end up having to console her soon.

 

He waited, sniffing lightly at the air before following.

 

"You make me wear too much of that damn cologne, Onna-"

 

-----

 

Trunks was running rampant in the hallways; cookies clamped tightly in his mouth. Gohan could have sworn he counted six or seven there as he whizzed by.

 

He'll make one hell of a teenager.

 

Chichi was inside the bathroom. Gohan could hear the shower running from the outside. He would go inside, to lift some of the weight, but his mother's nude body perturbed him. He figured it was normal.

 

No children like to see their parents or siblings naked. Or at least most don't.

 

Gohan leaned casually backwards, still slightly bothered by their conversation of him earlier. It had been the first time they had spoken his name in weeks. The thing that had upset him most about it was the fact that they spoke as if he was just in the other room or something. Like he had just gone on a vacation.

 

He hated that smell. He knew they were all just fooling themselves.

 

Gohan wasn't coming back.

 

 

Gohan turned instinctively. There was a sudden crashing sound from inside the bathroom. The drizzling of the shower was gone; replaced with eerie silence.

 

She might just have knocked something down. Kaasan tends to be more of a klutz lately.

 

Gohan waited- and waited. But there was no sound after that.

 

Worry consumed him.

 

Gohan drifted through the door. It was an unpleasant sensation. He tried to avoid going through objects at much as possible for that exact reason. It was creepy but then again, he was dead.

 

The sight that met him was frightening. The first thing he noticed was that the mirror cabinet had been unhinged from the wall. All that was left were the bolts that used to hold it.

 

It had fallen into the sink, half filled with water, and shattered. Some of the pieces floated above the water. Some sunk.

 

There were red rings in the water.

 

Gohan's heart stopped.

 

Chichi lay, wrapped in a towel and propped up by the door, clutching her wounded forehead. Blood was slipping through her fingers. She wasn't cut bad. But that wasn't the reason for her being on the floor.

 

She was in labor.

 

             "Kaasan." Gohan choked through his dry throat, "Come on, Kaasan. Scream for help."

 

Chichi didn't move. She was frozen in her stance, clutching her bleeding forehead. Her body trembled with each contraction. Trembled worse and worse.

 

Gohan willed her to breathe. She didn't.

 

             "Kaasan! You have to get up!" Gohan cried, "You have to let someone know you are in here! They won't find you if you don't do anything."

 

Tears were slipping down her cheeks.

 

             "Please! I know it hurts."

 

Gohan tried to clasp her hand. His passed right through.

 

             "Please, Kaasan." Gohan pleaded.

 

She trembled and cried in silent pain.

 

             "KAASAN!" Gohan shrieked drawing back an opened palm, "DON'T YOU DARE TRY TO JOIN ME!"

 

He slapped her. Her head tipped to one side.

 

             "DO YOU HEAR ME?!"

 

He slapped again. Her head tipped the other way.

 

             "I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU IF YOU LET THIS BABY DIE!"

 

He continued to smack her. Chichi's cheeks grew red. Her eyes still remained vacant of life.

 

             "DON'T YOU DIE! DON'T YOU DARE DIE ON ME! DON'T YOU DARE!"

 

She was silent.

 

             "THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM, MOM! YOU NEVER LISTEN! IF YOU'D LISTEN FOR ONCE MAYBE LIFE WOULDN'T BE SUCH HELL FOR YOU!"

 

Silence.

 

             "I KNOW LIFE WAS HARD. AND I KNOW WE LEFT YOU. AND I HATE MYSELF FOR IT. BUT IF YOU LEAVE NOW, IT WOULD HAVE ALL BEEN FOR NOTHING!"

 

Her lips were blue.

 

             "SO SUCK IT UP!"

 

There was one final resounding slap.

 

Gohan drew back in shock, his hands completely numb.

 

Chichi coughed. Then she took a deep breath. Gasping and wheezing, she managed to pull herself slightly off the floor. She leaned against the porcelain sink just as the door crashed open.

 

Trunks was there, cookie crumbs still covering his face. Both parents were in toe. Chichi collapsed into Vegeta's arms as soon he reached for her. She clutched weakly to him, refusing to pass out again.

 

Gohan was glad. Looked like she'd make it after all. A smile played on his lips.

 

He figured this would be the perfect time to disappear in a luminance of golden light. He had done right by his mother. He had done his good deed.

 

But he followed them to the hospital. Then to the waiting room. The weight played on him- walls being the only thing keeping him from his mother. He wanted to stay with her, but it didn't feel right watching. Gohan had had enough of her blood for one night.

 

They waited an hour or so. Time didn't play as much of a toll on Gohan as it did on the others. Five nurses had come out during that time. One to announce a successful surgery. One to announce twins. Three others to announce deaths. They always seemed to follow right after the fact thatthey had done the best they could. Gohan was doubtful.

 

Could have broken it to them nicer. Course with this job, you kind of have to be heartless, right? That's why Kaasan decided against me becoming one. She didn't think I could handle it.

 

Gohan laughed brokenly at his own thoughts.

 

Better doctor then a hero, I bet.

 

"Son Chichi?"

 

             "Ah yes." Bulma bounded eagerly over to the doctor; Trunks close in hand, "We are old family friends. Is she- alright?"

 

             "She's fine." The doctor smiled looking over his clipboard, "We treated the injuries she acquired from the fall. And she's recovering quite nicely."

 

             "And the child-" Vegeta urged, startling Bulma.

 

             "Oh. Of course." The doctor nodded, "All fine. It's a healthy baby boy."

 

Gohan felt his heart rise. The pointless chatter in the room subsided. All that matter at the moment was what the doctor spoke. He came in closer to the Briefs as the Doctor led them to where they could see the child.

 

It would be a glassed room. They had strict rules to follow as well. They couldn't touch the baby but they could look as long as they liked. Trunks had to be watched at all times.

 

Even though the venture seemed pointless, seeing as the child was already known to be healthy and a definite boy, they all still eagerly rounded the hallways. Each trying to be patient not to run. Patient not to whoop for joy at the sight of Goku's second son. They wouldn't be able to see Chichi until morning anyways.

 

That whooping was rather beneath Vegeta though.

 

Gohan figured that he wouldn't be able to make it all the way. His bond with his mother was already strained and he had no idea how far he might have to go from his mother to get to the room. But as he went, the strain withdrew.

 

Gohan smiled and knew. This baby was his jailer.

 

For some reason, that didn't seem to bother him all that much.

 

The rooms in the hallways reeked of weakness. Each plagued him with different kinds of death and unhappiness. Few smelt empty. Few smelt of flowers.

 

But even this didn't bother him. He was going to meet his brother. It didn't matter if the whole world was dying. It didn't matter if it was ending. It didn't matter if the boy couldn't see or know him. All he needed was to see this brother of his. Everything else came second.

 

They arrived. Flowers bloomed ripe in here. So many happy parents and family members lined the room poking at the glass to different bundles of blue and pink. So many that Gohan wondered if he could spot his own.

 

             "There." Bulma smiled, pointing to the blue bundle, "It says his Mom's name on the tag. See? See Trunks?"

 

             "Goten."

 

Both Vegeta and Gohan played the name on their tongues. Bulma only laughed,

 

             "Ten. Tenchi. I bet that's what she meant." She chuckled, "She just added the Go to make it ring like Goku and Gohan's did."

 

             "What's Tenshi mean?" Trunks asked curiously.

 

             "Tenchi." Bulma corrected and then smiled sadly, "Means Heaven."

 

             "Ah." Trunks nodded in only half understanding.

 

Gohan leaned forward. Bulma waved a nurse over and had her lift Goten up for them to goggle at.

 

He cried in her strange arms. They couldn't hear his cries. They only saw his opened mouth moving up and down. No tears. He was too young for them yet. He exhausted himself with yells.

 

The infant's face was so scrunched up that they couldn't decipher if he had Goku's nose or Chichi's eyes. He was all red and wrinkled- looked like a tomato under his dark unruly hair.

 

             "He's a sayian." Vegeta nodded, noting the hair, "Just no tail on him."

 

             "Well that's good." Bulma grinned, pressing against the glass and cooing, "We don't need anymore big apes running around, do we, Goten? No, we don't."

 

             "Apes?"

 

             "I'll explain it to you when you are older, Trunks-kun."

 

Gohan pushed himself through the glass. The sound was near deafening. So many babies crying at once.

 

No wonder they kept this glassed up.

 

Gohan came up beside his own screaming brother. The Nurse's smile was wry; he could tell she had been doing this all day. He kind of felt bad for her.

 

             "Geez. Goten. You sure have a howler on you."

 

Gohan laughed at his own joke but hushed soon there after. Goten had completely stopped- his bright blue eyes focusing blearily on him. Gohan could hear the beating of his supposed heart.

 

"Mommy. I heawd a stwange voice come fwom Awunt ChuChu's bathwoom."

 

He reached out a hesitant hand.           

            

"Oh really, Trunks?"

 

             "Yes… He sound weal mad."

 

Gohan felt the boy's flesh. He felt it… he could touch it. It was completely smooth and flawless.

 

He kept blinking uncontrollably. How could he do this? Gohan was dead, wasn't he?

 

             "He wouldn't let Awunt ChuChu die, he say…"

 

Goten clutched his hand. He was much too young to do this. His hands were incredibly warm. Gohan found the warmth filling him. The cold, for the first time, was going away.

 

It was you… Gohan smiled and squeezed his hand about Goten's tiny ones. You saved me, Goten. You were that ball of light.

 

             "…don't you dawe join me. He say mean things."

 

Goten's face didn't break into a smile of any sorts. He just stared. His stare smiled more then his face ever could.

 

             "He say suck it up."

 

             "Trunks!"

 

             "He say it! Not me!"

Gohan was crying. He didn't realize ghosts could cry…

 

             "Mommy? Who that boy that yell at Awunt ChuChu?"

 

             "I- I don't know, Trunks."

 

His tears were real. They slipped down onto Goten's tiny blue blanket. They were large and thick tears that gave the blanket darker circles. Gohan would have tried to wipe his tears away, had his hand not been clasped.

 

The warmth was beautiful. He didn't recognize this smell.

 

It didn't matter really. He knew why he was here now.

 

             "I love you, Goten." Gohan whispered, tears falling.

 

He kissed his brother's forehead.

 

Goten's eyes shinned. He cried no more.

 

To Be Continued…

Please R + R!

 

Alright then. Another chapter. Another chapter. More reviews to respond to? I hope so!

 

I have the horrible feeling though, that most people are more concerned about another chapter coming faster rather the quality of work. That pretty sad if you ask me. I'd rather have a good chapter slow then a bad chapter fast. What's the point of reading them then?

 

Rinascita. If anyone can guess that they get two cookies! I'll give you a hint… It is the origin of the word Renaissance. So if someone can tell me what Renaissance means they will know what this chapter meant.

 

-REVIEWS-

 

DBZ Chick1: ((Very good. Updat soon!))

 

Aw, come on. Isn't there something else you'd like to tell me about this story? You're making me cry here!

 

Nette: ((i really liked the story. it was so sad though. i hope your going to finsh it, right? write with much speed because i really want to find out what happens.))

 

It isn't 'exactly' fast, but did I come out with this chapter at reasonable time? This actually pretty fast compared to most my updates. I haven't updated What if in over a year. O_o

 

Kage Onna:((actually, ShadowPhoenix killed him twice, but I'd think it'd be different when someone else does it...anyway, update please! ^_^))

 

Skadu has nothing on me. I've killed him at least six times. :P

 

Candyland: ((I have absolutely no idea what 'Shojin' means. *wallows in feelings of mediocrity* Put something in Spanish--I'll know it then!))

 

Stick around. I might actually put a title in Spanish. You never know. It's Italian this chapter. :P

 

((nyhoo, another brilliant chapter from a brilliant author. You never cease to amaze me...))

 

:blush: Oh stop. You just want another chapter. :P

 

((and you never cease to torment Gohan either, it seems. Tsk, tsk...oh well. I'm guilty too. We torment the characters we love, it seems.))

 

But it's oh so much fun! :)

 

((I do look forward to more in this story. Like I said before, it promises to be a very memorable one. Continue!))

 

I hope so. I'm putting way to much effort into this one to drop it any time soon.

 

Shukumei no Kagi: ((This is very interesting, it's like that Ghost movie I once saw with a few major changes. I'm a bit curious about where you got the idea from because it's fascinating.))

 

Wow. You're good. Actually I did get the idea after watching Ghost… for the millionth time. I always see only bits in pieces though. I got the idea after actually seeing the whole thing through. It's a cute movie, aint it?

It will be different though. Just because I got the idea from it doesn't mean I'll follow it's plot line at all. Gohan 'did' just commit suicide. It's not like he's going to be chasing after any evil best friend or anything. And he has no lover, just Goten. Just Goten. That's a cute phrase. :insert smiley face: It has a slightly twisted ending too, but you'll see that when I get to it.

 

Nozomi and Hotaru: ((nah, u dont hav to be sorry at all! ^^ wow now this is a fast update! i'm sure everyone is very pleased. congrats! ^^))

 

Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :)

 

((ok so gohan's... dead but not really? or uh "still here" lol ooh goten's on the way! heh, can't wait ^^;;))

 

Dead, not really? Yeah. I guess you could say that. :insert sweatdrop: He's here, Goten is! Aren't ya happy? :)

 

((so incendium is fire. does ingens mean fire too? i'm supposed to kno these things but then again, i'm not good at anything so oh well.))

 

Heh. I don't know Latin. I just use a translator. :P You'd have to take that up with Skadu.

 

((shojin... hm, sounds familiar but... nah, i dunno it. but itz japanese rite?))

 

Well you are the closest anyone got so far. Yep it's Japanese. Scroll up at my first author's note to read what it means.

 

((OK so herez ur usual UPDATE SOON!
(btw i thought the chapter wasn't as bad as u thought. ur still so impressive without ur beta!)))

 

Aw thank you. And here's your update as soon as I could do it. :P

 

Goten's Girl 12: ((Wow OMG! please update. Infact it is so good that I put it on my favorite story list. Along with you on my favorite author list becuase I like this and I love Sibily Rivalry (and yes I know I spelled it wrong I just can't spell)please update that. I have a few ?'s. Will he be stuck there forever? Will he ever pass on? Does he just help Goten with one thing or many? Will Goten be able to see him? and I think that's it.(OK that was more than few ^__^)
8 out of 10))

 

Aw. :feels all bubbly inside: I'm sorry for the long periods between updates. I'm bad like that. :insert sad face: I can't spell much either so… cookies all around! :P

Good questions. Too bad I can't answer them without spoiling a lot of plot. ;) But you understand. One question I'm pretty sure was already answered. Will Goten be able to see him? Yeppers. Indefinitely. Trunks can hear him sometimes. And Vegeta can smell his emotions. Isn't that interesting? :P

Since your name is Goten's Girl I assume you like Goten? :insert smiley face: Well, this story is definitely for Goten lovers. I think you'll enjoy it.

 

Skadu: ((Stupid pop-ups. Rawr.
Well, I guess I'm not the first reviewer this time (*sticks out tongue at other fast people*) but I can say I went to lengths to read it this morning ^^; Got up at 6:00, found the alert in my inbox, and of course had to sit down and read. Almost missed the bus. Bad Ooshii! Glad I read it then, though. Would've driven me insane all day if I hadn't.))

 

Whoops. Sorry about that. :P Good thing you don't have school anymore, ne?

 

((Ok... Um...
I'm kinda not in the uber-long-and-praising-review-with-details-and-such mood right now. But let's try it anyways.
(Oh yea, Kage Onna, I can't kill her because I've killed him off in both my stories too ^^; She's much better at killing off Gohan than I am, too... *grumble, grumble*)))

 

Heh. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. You just need practice. Eh heh heh heh. 'Did I just say that?'

 

((Wow o.o This hasn't been edited by 'Zazel yet?
Ok, you aren't allowed to complain about your bad grammar knowledge anymore. I didn't see a single mistake ^^; (then again, when I read it closely, it was 6:00 and I didn't have my contacts in... Picture moi, leaning forward and squinting at an obnoxiously bright screen in the darkness of early morning. Oi.)))

 

:P Blah. It was carefully scrutinized. I'm sure there is a mistake or two in there that I didn't catch, though.

 

((Focusing ^^; Geez, this chapter is very quotable. If that says anything. "Suicide? Me?" Totally innocent(ish) sounding. I can perfectly picture Gohan standing there, saying that. There's one awesome thing about this story (and all your others, for that matter). It's only the second chapter, and I have a perfect image of Gohan in my mind. Some stories it takes chapters and chapters before I understand or can comprehend what type of person the main character is. Here, I immediately know his gestures, emotions, attitude- even when he is instantly tossed into a dark situation I am not left in the dark. Still love the imagery from last chapter of Cell in the flames... Heh. "-Almost as if she were bleeding from the rain."))

 

Oh. I'm glad to hear I can do that. :) Go Ooshii!

 

((Awesome. I can picture it perfectly.
Again, I feel sorry for a character that I don't normally feel sorry for or that has a tendency to be left out in stories (like my own --; I caught that, though! *proud of self*). Piccolo. Unlike Vegeta in DTS, though, I already have an off-sided affection for Pikkoro =^^= Man, I felt sorry for him here, though. Gohan was his only real friend... Poor Pikkoro ;_; Maybe we'll see more of him in future chapters? Well, whatever you decide to do. Whichever way, I felt sorry for him here.))

 

Great! I was trying to give people some kind of pity for him. He's not going to be in much. I think I'll have him mentioned and he may make a reappearance but I can't promise much. Like you, I tend to forget characters if the story doesn't revolve around them.

I was worried that I'd forget about Goku too. But I made sure to give him an important enough lead in this story. And explain his absence within reasonable boundaries. :)

 

(((Oh, oh! I know what Gohan's bound to! *jumps up and down excitedly*) "Like a broken little child. Like a broken toy." Awesome awesome awesome... I want to go draw something now. Good job, Ooshii ^^ You've conjured up a ton of imagery with this chapter- I am continually reminded of your amazing control and imagination. Hope it continues to grow, because as far as I can tell, you're on top of many, many other people on this site.))

 

One thing I acknowledge about myself is my incredibly large imagination. I got it from my mother I think. ;) Without my imagination I don't think I'd even be writing. The only reason I am a decent writer now is because I wanted so badly to write out my dreams on paper. To weave a story that I came up with. Learning how to write was something I taught myself, beyond the basics at least. And I'm not even sure I got the basics right. :insert sheepish grin: I hope your imagination grows too. It's an author's best friend. :)

 

(((To Kettricken: ^^ You're not that bad. Hey, it would be annoying if it was a bad writer giving advice or- worse- people criticizing name spellings (if you're spelling Krillin Kullin or something bizarre like that it's a bit of an issue, but Raditz/Radditz, Chi-chi/Chichi/ChiChi, c'mon... Just annoying. Ha! Wish I could nitpick. I suck at nitpicking. But Ooshii would've probably killed me by now ^^;).))

 

Lol. Well I'm learning now to accept criticism. I may grit my teeth a bit, but I've got to learn to not keep my writing so sacred if I want to get any better. :P

 

((Anyhow, Ooshii, this chapter was fantastic. Your characterization is still right on. Loved Piccolo. *gives Piccolo teddy* Vegeta was accurate, I thought. Maybe a little kinder than most would think, but hey, it's a highly unusual situation.))

 

:P I like making Vegeta kind when it counts. And I do believe Vegeta holds a lot of respect towards Gohan even though people like to disagree with me. It was something I noticed when I first started watching Dbz and something I've held on to, DTS and beyond. :P

 

((Besides, even the great Saiyan prince can be passive when something as major as Gohan committing suicide came along.
Sui, sibi, se, se.
Hehe.
Ok, random Latin pronouns, I'm alright... Thanks for a fantastic chapter, wonderful job, especially considering Astrozazel the Magnificient Beta hasn't read over it yet. See, you're a good writer even in rough draft ^^
(Aren't sure if you like it? Well I do. *blows raspberry*)
With any luck, this long and random review doesn't have any spelling errors in it. It probably does. Sorry. I'm a lazy bum.))

 

Trust me. Yours is spelled real nice compared to some other reviews I've gotten. And I dun care about spelling remember? That's why I need a beta sometimes. :P

 

ESSJGohan:((Update))

 

Aw geez. Not even a 'soon'? That's just so pathetic… Like it would kill you to write something more then that.

 

Desta:((This is one of those stories that is so good...it's hard to find something to say. When I read the first chapter, I was so stunned. You characterized everyone so well. I'm still kinda woah...))

 

Aw, thank you. You said it just fine. I know. I take pride in my in-character characters. :)

 

Marshmellow13Dragon: ((yep it was answered, poor Gohan he's stuck, is he following Goten, i think he is. Being a ghost can be fun, *thinks about it* never mind, being deprived of peace isn't that fun. One more question, is Goku gonna find out that Gohan is dead but not with him in otherworld. Piccolo didn't commit suicide did he? please don't say he did. Can't wait for the next chappie! as always bu-bye for now and update soon!))

 

Yep. He is following Goten. Well, you should know by this chapter. :) Well, Gohan cheers up later, so don't worry too much. Ah. I was wondering when someone would ask about Goku. :insert smiley face: I can't tell you how, when, or why but Goku will show up later in this story. And you will find out why he didn't save Gohan to begin with. And as for Piccolo committing suicide, I can't tell you. To tell you the truth I haven't rightly decided yet. Keep your fingers crossed because as it's planned currently he may show up again in the future.

 

Kettricken: ((ha! I did overuse that word "jarring"... shouldn't write reviews late at night! (Right now my favorite word is "countenance", but I don't think I can work it into this review.)))

 

:P Hah. I knew it.

 

((Thanks for being good natured about the grammar bits... I know it's annoying, and most people don't really care about it anyway-- it's just a pet peeve of mine. Nails-on-chalkboard kind of reaction. But it can make people look at your writing more seriously, so I think it's worth paying some attention to.))

 

Well I'm sorry if I sounded in anyway snappy about it. I did ask for criticism, but of course I am still learning how to take it. :P

 

((But the reason I was picky at you is that I really liked the piece, and you'd asked for constructive criticism; so many of the reviews one gets on FFnet are pure praise, and while that can be really nice, I find it annoying sometimes... because it doesn't really help you grow as a writer. {Which, to me, is what life is all about: finding ways to surpass ourselves. (Which is probably part of why I like anime... that's so often a theme in it.)}))

 

I dun mind the praise, cause I'm a sap like that. But the 'update soon' s are driving me up a wall. That's one of my favorite themes as well. ;P Anime's cool like that, you know?

 

((So, don't cry in a corner! I criticize because I love... ;-D And my opinions are, of course, only my opinions; you're the author, and you can keep 'em or dump 'em as you please.))

 

I was just joshing. It didn't make me cry at all. :P I was just being a prat that's all. :insert wink:

 

(((And if you want to lay down the "no nitpicking grammar" law, I promise never do it to you again.)
Uh, this was a bit long-winded. Lemme sum up. Kettricken=old curmudgeon. I like story. I hope you don't think the criticism meant I didn't; it *was* a compliment.
Keep writing, and we'll all keep reading!))

 

Dun worry about it. I've gotta learn to take it someday. Just don't rip it apart. Not sure if I'm quite ready for a rip apart yet. ;)

 

Icarus Fallen: ((I usually don't review or read stories in their infantile stages, but curosity led me to read the first two chapters of your story.))

 

Euuu. Pretty author name!

Wow. Now I feel special. Thank you for taking the time to read it! ;)

 

((The first thing I like about the fic is the long chapters, they are really a nice thing to have, and usually a sign of a better writer.))

 

Or a long winded one. :P Actually I'm putting a heck of a lot of work in this story so the chapters will be long.

 

((However, you transitions from viewpoint to viewpoint are a little choppy, and sometime the scene changes are a little so sudden, so that you cannot tell what is going on. However, the different narratives are a good idea, but polishing it up a bit would make things better.))

 

There 'were' dividers there before quick-edit ate them up. :glares down quick-edit: But yes I agree. I tried to work on that better in this chapter. I decided that less switching so suddenly between POVs is better. :)

 

((The concept of suicide and angst has been done before, but I don't believe I have ever seen a "haunting" plot. Interesting. Of course, I do hope your fic will prove to be a little positive, and that you will eventually explain what the heck Gohan is still doing on Earth.))

 

Aw geez. Has it been done before! But I think you are right, I haven't read anything yet of one of Z fighters haunting the others. As for it turning positive, I promise it will. The complete reason for Gohan's rooting to earth won't be explained for awhile since Gohan spends a good portion of the story trying to figure it out, but I hope that this chapter gave you a bit more perspective with what is going on.

 

((Your characterization is very clever, and the reactions of the characters to Gohan's death is right on, especially Piccolo's reaction (or lack of). Vegeta is a little OOC, but that could be contributed to the death.))

 

Thank you! :insert smiley face: I know I tend to push Vegeta to be more sensitive but I really like him better that way. :P Don't worry though. I make him insensitive again. The death was pretty much the only thing making him act that way. Goten's birth also stirred a bit unrest in the prince too, but not as much.

 

((Well, I hope to see more chapters soon, as the story has certainly got my attention due to its orginality.))

 

:beams: I'm glad you like it. I'm always striving to be different! I'm glad this caught your eye and I hope to respond to more of your reviews in the future.

 

-----

 

That it. I love all of your reviews. I hope you take the time to review for this chapter as well. Aiming for 15 reviews! Let's see if I can reach my goal.

 

Holy crapo! This chapter is 20 pages long printed out! O_o No one try to print it out!

 

I'm posting this chapter up in honor of my three long years of selfless serving fanfiction.net. That's right! I've been posting stories for three years now. I have no life! So let's celebrate it!

 

Remember! Two cookies this time to anyone who can guess what Rinascita means!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            

 

 

 

 

            

 

 

 

 

 

 

            

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

         &nb sp; 

         &nb sp;