Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Taking Chances and Leaps of Faith ❯ In Which There is a New Beginning ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The sun broke over the eastern horizon, casting its pale glow over the night-drenched world. The moon, pearly and white, descended slowly, its departure ending the dark night and allowing the morning to begin. Light particles of stardust, left by the setting moon, glistened in the semi dark sky, winking and piercing like bits of glass, a roadmap to the moon's final destination.

The stardust began to fade quickly as the rising heat from the ascending sun melted it away. The dust fell like rain over the forest, coating its trees in glitter and shine. Darkness was burned away, chased into the hollows of trees and rocks, waiting patiently for night. Creatures of shadow escaped to their burrows or caves to sleep off their adventures, resting for the next hours of darkness.

The sun's light was reflected in the morning dew, creating the illusion of fire on the plains of grass, inflaming the forests, whilst burning away the last of the stardust. The dew was tenuous, and it remained, but in the midmorning it would be gone, leaving behind soft meadows and supple trees.

A slight breeze stirred, bringing with its gusts the scent of dawn flowers and the beginning of a midmorning rain. It whistled through the trees, rustling branches and knocking ripened fruit to the spongy earth. The gentle wind wound its way through the mountains, and then whished through cities and towns, leaving in its wake the perfume of peaks and mountain vegetation.

Princess Adsila Suadela Catori watched the morning unfold with a jaundiced eye. Her life was spinning out of control, a feeling she did not welcome. All of her life, Adsila had prepared for what she believed to be her mission. The chance to leave Elrondia had been a desire of hers since birth it seemed, and the chance had been snatched away.

Perhaps her mother, Queen Kanti Aria Catori had been right. Maybe she had read too much into the prophecy. It didn't matter, in the end, however, Adsila had wanted it badly, and she would get her chance. Her preparations had been quiet, no one suspected, and the help of her power, persuasion, had helped. She had not done anything but persuade those around her to ignore her presence and when she was gone, there would no one to stop her. She would get her adventures and leave Elrondia, just as she always wanted.

A trickle of guilt had grown inside her soul. She had sworn her life to the prophecy, to the protection of her people, and now she was abandoning them. Perhaps a look at the prophecy….Adsila shook her head. The prophecy never showed the viewer their path, only others. Adsila had to rely on her parents' interpretations. Not anymore, though, Adsila thought, it's time to make my own destiny.

Now all she had to do was step onto the space pod that rested before her. The palace was still asleep, a great drain on Adsila, who had persuaded everyone to stay in bed. Why was she faltering?

Adsila took a firm grip on her conscience. That was why: it was her conscience. She had been conditioned since birth to never abandon her people or her family, and now she was attempting to rebel against lifelong teachings. No, not attempting, Adsila decided firmly, doing.

The Princess picked up her bag and marched into the pod before she could change her mind. The door whooshed shut and Adsila relaxed against the soft seat, allowing the mist that would put her to sleep overwhelm her senses.

**************************************************************** *******

"Are you positive we should do this, husband?" Kanti questioned, glancing at her King with glistening eyes. She had just finished watching her daughter depart and was once again questioning the decision to stand by. The older man, still handsome, but no longer in the blush of youth nodded.

"You read the prophecy as well as I did, Kanti. This is what Adsila is supposed to do. Whatever adventures she will have, whoever she will encounter, it is all to prepare her for the future conflict."

"Some days, Chayton, I wish we could ignore that prophecy." Kanti muttered bitterly. "I want my daughter, here, with me."

"Oh, Kanti," Chayton Musa, murmured, bringing her into his arms, "I know it is difficult, but Adsila is an adult. The prophecy will protect her, believe me, and she will fulfill whatever duty she is intended for."

Kanti broke away from her husband and sat down at her vanity, slowly brushing her silver hair. Her dark, midnight eyes, heavy with sadness, watched her husband.

"I wish…I wish the prophecy would at least allow us to know everything."

"And then we would be tyrants. No, it is best that the prophecy does not show us all. We must remember that some disasters are meant to happen."

Chayton kissed his wife's cheek softly and then departed to begin the day's business. Kanti set her silver backed brush on the table and slipped on her silken robe, the royal colors of red and blue denoting her station. She moved on silent feet to her new daughter's room, already filled with gifts from the citizens of Elrondia.

The tiny Elrondian was awake, watching the ceiling, the walls, and then her mother when Kanti came into view. She was beautiful, as all Elrondians, but she would grow to become gorgeous even by Elrondian standards. Her eyes were the color of deep blue, with stardust hidden in their depths. It was like looking into a galaxy. Hair the color of deepest onyx was now only wisps of curls, but would eventually grow thick and supple, like silk. Miakoda Cira, the last of Kanti's children, was the vision of night, but held the power of fire in her tiny body. It was a powerful gift, one to be proud of, but it had set Miakoda on a path that was most uncertain of all.

Kanti pushed these depressing thoughts away as she gathered her baby into her arms. For now, she wished only to hold her pride and joy, and enjoy the benefits of motherhood.

**************************************************************** ********

Word soon spread of the Princess Adsila's departure. Angrily striding through the halls, her twin brother, the Crown Prince Lucca Ahern Catori was determined to find answers. Real answers and not rumors.

He chanced upon his father in his morning room perusing the papers that littered his fine desk of molten silver. Lucca stood politely at the door, steaming, but still remembering his manners, and waited for his father to acknowledge him.

Chayton knew his son stood there, but was reluctant to let him in. The last thing he needed now was a confrontation with a boy who had always been protective of his twin sister. The encounter could only be avoided for so long, however, and now was as good a time as any. Chayton beckoned with his fingers and Lucca entered.

The Crown Prince took his seat in a chair opposite the desk and simply asked, "Why?"

"The prophecy wished it so, and it was done."

Lucca struggled with his anger. He had learned from birth that the prophecy was all knowing and must be followed to the letter. It was difficult, however, to come to terms with the fact that Adsila, who was weaker and younger, had escaped to see the universe, and he was stuck on Elrondia, alone.

Chayton smiled softly at his eldest child. "Your chance will come, my son."

Lucca could only hope and pray. He had never seen the prophecy; only the King and Queen could read its words, so he was forced to rely on them for truth. Could he? Lucca chastised himself immediately for the treasonous thought. Of course he could trust his parents, they had sworn oaths to always abide by the prophecy, no matter its words. His parents would never break their vows.

"Am I not even allowed to follow, just for a little bit? What if she should find trouble?"

Chayton steepled his fingers and sighed, slowly shaking his head. "That is why you must not follow, Lucca. Adsila is supposed to find trouble for it will prepare her for her future mission. A mission," Chayton continued in a firm tone, "That is none of your business."

Properly chastised, Lucca stood and bowed to his father, before taking his leave. Lost in thought, his feet somehow brought him before his youngest sibling's room. He glanced in and saw his mother rocking Miakoda and singing softly. Immediately, Lucca felt himself relax and wandered into the room, taking a seat in the plush rocking chair next to his mother.

Kanti finished her song and looked at her troubled son. "Oh, Lucca, she will be safe."

"How do you know that? The prophecy can't reveal everything."

"I know because of my instinct. Nothing will happen, Lucca, there is still more she must accomplish."

"What if there is a freak accident, Mother, and she cannot fulfill her mission? What then?"

Kanti's eyes darkened with troubled thoughts. "I don't know," she said slowly, after some thought. "I suppose the universe would be thrown into chaos. Or, maybe nothing would happen. In our work, Lucca, you cannot second guess your actions or choices, you must only do."

Lucca nodded absently, but his thoughts were still with Adsila. Always, the two had been inseparable, they had done nearly everything together and Lucca felt lost and alone without her steady presence.

"Now, Lucca, we must watch over Miakoda. She is to be prepared as soon as possible for her mission. It is of utmost importance and perhaps tied with Adsila's. I will need your help."

Lucca nodded. "Of course mother."

"She is to be the planet Chikyuu's last hope, I suppose. Such a large burden for one so small."

Lucca smiled softly. "Small in form, but not in spirit, I think."

Kanti laughed, a rich laugh that soothed Lucca's troubled heart. "Yes, my eldest son, you shall be correct. Now, calm your fears for Adsila and transfer your protective instincts to this tiny one."

Kanti handed her youngest child to Lucca who held the baby carefully, but with comfort. He had several younger siblings and had learned to handle babies with a tender touch.

Miakoda quietly watched her stern brother and then smiled. A spark lit between the two, dim, but strong. Kanti nodded with approval. All was transpiring as the prophecy had stated.