Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The First Day of the Rest of My Life ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own DBZ

Chapter 7

After reviving her husband, Mrs. Briefs couldn't wait any longer to find out what was going on upstairs. She went up and found her daughter and the hunk in an embrace. "Does this mean I can start making plans?" She said excitedly. She waltzed into the room and right up to the couple.

Bulma had turned to face her mother as she was walking in the door to her room. Vegeta pulled quickly away from Bulma, as he did not want to be seen displaying any physical contact in front of the crazy mother. "What plans?" said Bulma.

"For the wedding!" she said emphatically.

"Mom, I don't want anything big or fancy. Just a small ceremony." Said Bulma. She wasn't sure her mother would listen, but luckily she didn't have enough time to plan a huge gathering.

"Whatever you say dear." Said Mrs. Briefs as she ran out of the room.

The two looked at each other again. Vegeta was the first to look away at the door. He went to the door and Bulma saw him turn in the direction of the room he had stayed in before he left. She followed him; in hopes that was not the place he was going. "Vegeta, before you go in there-"

It was too late. He had walked into his old room, hoping to find it the way it had been when he left. It wasn't. Every possible nook and cranny was filled with baby things. His bed was covered with clothes, from several showers that Mrs. Briefs had held for her daughter. There was a crib next to his bed and on the floor were a stroller, walker, carrier, playpen, swing, and every other baby gadget imaginable. In the corner was a small box with the name "Vegeta" written on it. He made his way over to the box and picked it up. All of his worldly possessions were now in this box.

Bulma had arrived at the room by now and was not sure what to say. "Where will I sleep?" he said to her, his mouth curled in his trademark smirk.

Bulma walked over to him. "I guess you will have to sleep with me." She said with a smile on her face. "But, you will have to shower first." All the pain of the last 7 months had left her. It was like he had never left.

Vegeta put his box down and opened it. On top was his Sayain armor. He pulled it out of the box. The hole that had previously been there had been repaired. He stared at it in disbelief. He looked at Bulma. "Did you do this?" he asked.

"Yes. I ran some tests on the fabric so that I could match it with what it was made of. There was no material that matched exactly so I created one that was pretty close." She stopped and looked up at him. "Is it OK?"

"Why did you do this for me?" he asked. After all he had done to her, she found a way to repair his armor. He was amazed at the compassion this being was capable of.

"Because I wanted to." She answered. "You can't go save the world with a big hole in your armor." This had been another one of her projects. Repairing his armor seemed to be a way to be close to him when he wasn't there.

"It's fine." He said, not wanting to appear to be grateful. "Now leave me so that I can shower." He stated with a smirk.

She smiled and left the room. She didn't bother going back to her room to try to sleep. It was pointless. Trunks never let her sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and she never tried to sleep until really late. She went downstairs to see what her parents were doing.

"Oh Bulma, come here and help me with the guest list. What is the name of that friend of yours and his wife? And what about those other boys that are friends of yours? The short bald one and the one with the extra eye?"

Bulma contemplated inviting them for a moment and then thought better of it. "Goku and Chi-Chi are OK to invite. I don't want to bother the other guys. They are busy and if they come, they may tell you-know-who, and I really don't want him here."

"Oh dear, that is a good point. We don't want you ex-boyfriend here. Will you call Goku and invite him?" she said to her daughter.

"Sure." Said Bulma.

Then Mrs. Briefs looked at her husband, who was still a little green in his complexion. "Dear, you will simply have to give all your employees the day off so that they can come to the ceremony." She said to him.

"Mom, I don't want a bunch of people there. Vegeta doesn't like crowds." Said Bulma to her mother.

"Oh nonsense. It isn't everyday that my only daughter gets married." Responded Mrs. Briefs.

Bulma realized it was pointless to argue with her mother, so instead she decided to just go with it. She dialed Goku's number.

"Hello." Said a young man's voice at the other end.

"Gohan, this is Bulma. Can I talk to your mom or dad?"

"Hi Bulma, sure I'll get them." Bulma heard him put the phone down and shout for his dad.

"Hello Bulma. What's up?" said Goku from the other end.

"Um, are you doing anything tomorrow?" she asked.

"You'll have to ask Chi-Chi that question. She seems to have a lot of work for me lately." Said Goku in a rather nervous tone.

"I meant both of you. Can you come over tomorrow, about noon or so?"

"Let me ask Chi-Chi." Bulma realized she should have just asked for Chi-Chi when she called.

"What's going on at noon, Bulma?" asked Chi-Chi on the other end of the phone.

"Uh, I guess I am getting married." She said. She wasn't really sure what was happening. Some type of ceremony was going to happen. What it was going to entail was not yet certain.

"You are going to marry that…that… Vegeta?" said Chi-Chi?

"Yes, and I don't need you telling me that I am making a huge mistake. Are you coming or not?" said Bulma.

"We'll be there. Wouldn't miss it for the world." Said Chi-Chi. They hung up the phone.

"That's done." Said Bulma. She went outside to the deck. There she found her father sneaking a cigarette. "DADDY!" she yelled. "How could you?"

"I am sorry sweetheart. I thought my future son in law was going to kill me. I needed it."

She walked over to him and took it out of his mouth and dropped it on the ground and smashed it under her shoes. Then she held out her hand. "Give me the pack." She said to him. He took the pack out of his lab coat and handed it to her. She put it in her pocket and made him swear the next time he wanted one that he would come and tell her.

She went over to what had become her favorite lawn chair and tried to get comfortable. Maybe, just maybe, she could get some sleep, she thought. Her dad had gone to his lab to get some peace. She sat there for a few minutes, only to be interrupted by Vegeta. He was done with his shower and ready for her to inspect his scent. "Just fine." She managed to say.

"That is all? No sarcastic comment? I am disappointed." He said.

"I am just really tired. I feel like I haven't slept in weeks." She said breathlessly.

"Why? You never had any trouble sleeping before. It was me who slept next to you and had to listen to you snore that had the trouble sleeping." He said back to her.

Bulma smiled and smacked him on the shoulder. "I do not snore." She replied. "It is Trunks that is keeping me up all night. He is the one who never sleeps, which makes it impossible for me to sleep."

Vegeta stood up and held out his hand. "Come with me. I will calm him." He helped her stand. He then picked her up, but not without pretending she was too heavy for him.

She smacked him again. "You are in rare form tonight, stinky boy." She said to him. He felt good to be near her again.

He flew her up to her room and after telling Shadow to get off, laid her gently on her bed. Then he lay down next to her and placed his hand on her bulging mid section. He spoke to Trunks telepathically and told him basically to relax so his mother could sleep. He stopped moving. Bulma shut her eyes and drifted off to sleep. Vegeta stayed with her until she started snoring. He used to nudge her so that she would roll on her stomach, but obviously she couldn't do that in her present condition. He remembered the food sitting down on the table and decided it was time to eat. It had been a very long time since he had a decent meal and right at that moment, eating sounded better than anything else he could think of.

~*~*~*~*~

Bulma did not sleep for long. About 4 hours, which was a miracle in her mind. Surprisingly, Trunks was still not very active. Her back had started hurting which is what woke her. She went back to the baby's room, which was also Vegeta's old room and began organizing and putting away baby clothes. The hours passed quickly and when it was nearly 11:00 she decided she had better start getting ready to get married. She first went down to the kitchen to see what was going on. To her surprise, there were crowds of people setting up for the festivities. She went outside to the back. She didn't see Vegeta anywhere, and wondered if he was even going to show up for the ceremony. Her mom spotted her and ran to where she was standing. "Bulma, you need to get ready!"

"Where is Vegeta?" she asked her mother.

"That is none of your concern. It is bad luck for you to see him before the wedding."

"Do you know where he is and if he is going to show up?" she asked.

"I know exactly where he is, and I am not going to tell you." She said back to her daughter. "Now you go inside and get yourself cleaned up. If you need help, call me." Said Mrs. Briefs as she pushed Bulma in the direction of the house.

Bulma went upstairs and got in the shower. Chi-Chi, Goku, and Gohan, showed up early and Chi-Chi went up to her room to help her get ready. Goku and Gohan wandered into the back and were spotted by Mrs. Briefs. "Oh there you are boys. Are you hungry?" she asked. Goku really like Mrs. Briefs because the words "Are you hungry" were always the first words she spoke to him after hello. She took them inside and pulled out some of the food for the buffet table that she had saved just for them. "Young man," she said looking at Gohan, "would you be a dear and watch this dog for me? He won't leave me alone." She said pointing to Shadow.

Gohan was ecstatic to get to have the responsibility of watching Shadow and gratefully said yes. "Where is Vegeta?" asked Goku with a mouth full of food.

"He is on our side of the house. I didn't want the 2 of them running into each other today. It is bad luck you know for the bride and groom to see each other before the ceremony." Goku didn't know that. She pointed in the direction of the room he was staked out in. Goku and Gohan finished the meal and, along with Shadow, went to see if they could find Vegeta.

They found him in the farthest room away from the kitchen. He was pacing. He was dressed in the same outfit he had worn on the night they had gone to the restaurant. "Hey Vegeta. What's up?"

"What is up? I will tell you what is up. That crazy mother is making me stay in this room until I am called. It is preposterous. No one has the right to make the Prince of Sayains do anything. I am a Prince and I give the orders."

Goku and Gohan looked at each other and rolled their eyes. The sat down on a couple of chairs that were in the room and prepared themselves for a very long speech.

In the meantime, Chi-Chi was helping Bulma with her make-up and her dress. Her dress was off white and knee length. Chi-Chi did her hair in a French braid and had brought some baby's breath to put in her hair as well. Bulma looked at herself when they were done in the full-length mirror. She started to cry. "I AM FAT!" She said to Chi-Chi.

"Of course you are fat. You are having a baby. Now get over it. You look stunning." Replied Chi-Chi. "Let me run down and see what is happening. I will come and get you when it is time."

Bulma sat and looked at herself in the mirror. She contemplated how she could have gone from starting her life over without men, to marrying one and having his child. This was not in her master plan. Although marrying Vegeta was what she wanted, she was very fearful about what the future would hold for him. She knew that in less than a year he would be fighting the androids that the boy from the future told them about. What if something happened to him? "I am just overly emotional." She said out loud.

Hmm, she thought, Trunks has been very inactive today. Maybe he had finally worn himself out and was going to give her a break on her special day.

The guests were taking their seats and it was nearly time for the ceremony to begin. Mrs. Briefs told her husband to go and get Vegeta. He obliged and all of them walked up to the front of the rows of people. Most of the people there were Capsule Corporation employees who were more than happy to give up a day of work to help with Bulma's ceremony.

Chi-Chi went to fetch Bulma and brought her down for the ceremony. Chi-Chi handed her the bouquet, and they were off. When Bulma walked out of the kitchen to where the ceremony was set up, all eyes were upon her. She had never looked so beautiful as at that moment. Vegeta thought about how lucky he was to have found this lovely creature to be his mate. He would never admit that to anyone though.

The ceremony was quick. Bulma had made sure tell her mom that Vegeta would tire of this very quickly and not to expect him to stand for very long in front of all these people. She obliged and the super abbreviated ceremony was what was performed.

After the ceremony, all were invited to partake of the buffet table. Bulma was tired and she found her favorite lawn chair to sit down in. It was strange, but Trunks still hadn't moved much. Vegeta came over to where she was sitting and sat next to her. "Is the brat bothering you again?" he asked.

She had been rubbing her stomach hoping to feel some movement. "Actually, since you had your father/son talk with him, he has hardly moved. I am kind of worried."

Vegeta put his hand on her stomach and sensed that the baby was fine. "Everything is normal." He said. "He knows he had better listen to what his father tells him." The remark had intended to be one of the series of sarcastic remarks that the 2 of them exchange regularly, but after he said it, he realized it was the first time he had actually said the words "father" in her presence. She smiled.

The guests dispersed after a few hours, all eager to get home early to their own families. Vegeta asked Goku to spar with him, but Chi-Chi forbid that from happening. "If you want to fight, you can arm-wrestle." She said to them. Vegeta rolled his eyes and told him no thanks.

Goku and his family went home. The only ones left were Dr. and Mrs. Briefs, Kitty, Bulma, Vegeta, and Shadow. They were sitting on the deck relaxing after the strenuous day. Bulma was still rubbing her stomach wondering what was going on with her precious Trunks. She had been feeling pains, but they were nothing like she felt when he was kicking her. She asked her mom about it.

"Are they contractions?" said Mrs. Briefs.

A light bulb went off in Bulma's head. They were contractions. Her doctor told her that the baby is less active when you are about to give birth. That is exactly what was happening. "I guess that is what they are. They don't hurt as much as I thought they would."

"Oh, just wait dear." Said Mrs. Briefs.

"What are you talking about?" asked Vegeta, puzzled by the whole female interaction.

"I think the baby is coming." Said Bulma.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Well, chapter 7 is done. This was a tough one to write. I wasn't sure what kind of ceremony they should have because I am only familiar with American ceremonies, so I didn't get into too much detail on that aspect.

On to the birth of Trunks.