Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Sheep and the Hedgehog ❯ The Prince´s New Clothes - Part II ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Chapter 8 - The Prince's New Clothes - Part II
 
 
 
The door squeaked as it opened, just a few minutes after Vegeta had run out of the room. Slowly, Bulma started turning around, wishing inwardly that Vegeta hadn't returned so soon. For some reason she suddenly didn't feel like looking at him the next few moments. The palms of her hands still kept the warm of his skin, as just as she was massaging him that right moment. And, without knowing why, she suddenly felt a bit self-conscious, like a fifteen-old girl at the realization of her first love. Oh, that was silly. She hadn't been a teenager since... err, sometime ago. Even if she was in love with Vegeta, what it was not true, he never would be by any ways her first love. So, why was she thinking of that big bunch of nonsense?
 
Yet, against her will she turned around, a teasing smile plastered on her face.
 
"You came back sooner then I thought," she started. "Didn't need relief to pee, after aaaAAAAAAHHHH!!!!" her smile froze a few seconds, before her casual phrase turned into a cry of horror.
 
It wasn't Vegeta. Bulma backed away in terror, her backside colliding with the table behind her. Trembling, she reached out a hand, in a blind, desperate search for something she could use as a weapon.
 
"Keep away from me! Don't get any closer!" the horrified woman stammered as she finally grabbed a random object and pointed it threateningly against her foe. "I'm not going to apologize! I'm not!"

"Bulma, stop acting like a child." Chichi admonished her as she shook her head in reproval. "I haven't came to make you apologize."

"You haven't?" Bulma's eyes widened in disbelief, as she dropped her 'weapon' --which happened to be a pencil -- back on the table. " So... You're no longer angry with me?" she asked, still not believing her ears.
 
The Ox Princess sighed and rolled her black eyes.
 
"Oh, I know you actually didn't mean to say all that. I think that we both... got carried away a little, and anyway Goku felt it was nonsense that we kept rancor for such a thing without importance. And I'd like to give you this." she finished, showing the package in her arms. Without expecting any replies or even thanks, she turned to lean the package on the laboratory table and opened it, revealing the navy-blue battle clothes Vegeta had given to Gohan. "Krillen told us that you needed his clothes for some important experiment, and Gohan wanted to help, too, so he asked me to give you his."

"Oh, thanks, Chichi. But I don't need any long..."

Chichi cut her off with an offended look.
 
"You're still angry with me." she accused.
 
"No, no, I'm not, really. It's just I already have Krillins' outfit and I already took the samples of clothing, so there's no need of more..." she didn't get to finish her phrase, for Chichi grabbed her clothes with a violence that made Bulma back against the wall.
 
"Now listen to this. I always wanted to toss this horrible thing in the trash, but Gohan never allowed me anywhere near it! And now that he finally gives it spontaneously to you, you're saying that you DON'T WANT IT? How can you do that to me?"

It's impressive the way some people can make you feel guilty for so little. However, before Bulma could start apologizing, the black-haired woman released her and turned around. Surprisingly, she started to cry.
 
"You have no idea of the hell I've been going through these last weeks! Gohan has been so depressed ultimately that I even called him a doctor. But that stupid con man told me that my baby has nothing wrong, the only thing is that he has suffered too much pressure and he needs some release through books and playtime! Just the same thing my father spends the whole time saying, can you imagine? Looks like a conspiracy to me!"

Bulma could perfectly figure out what had happened to the poor doctor for having pronounced such heretical
words in front of Chichi. However, before she could say something, the mother of Gohan barreled on.
 
"Well, since that was so, I told Goku and Krillen to take Gohan for a long walk in the mountains, before his health was definitely ruined. Still, I don't think this is fair. If there's any pressure on Gohan, it's because of those terrible training his father and Piccolo forced him to do, not because of a few innocent books! He already studies so little! Besides..." she paused a moment, showing a genuine tiredness. There were dark circles under her eyes and her shoulders sunk in exhaustion, as she went on, "The truth is that Gohan hasn't any friends of his age. Everybody is too old for him in the village nearby, and I also can't allow him to play with anybody and be in bad company. He keeps asking me to play with that horrible purple dragon that lurks around our house, but that'll only happen over my dead body!"

"I am very sorry for all this, Chichi," Bulma stuttered, finally getting something to say when her friend stopped again to get some air - and as well to cry a little more. "But what I have to d... err, what can I do to help? I don't know any children to introduce to Gohan."
Chichi calmed a bit.
 
"Ah, well, I'm getting there." she said with a sigh. "After our fight, Goku tried to convince me to make up with you. I was still angry because all of those unfair things you said, but he told me we already live too isolated and far away from her friends. He said that it's bad enough that Gohan has no friends of his own age, but if I'll keep fighting with everybody that appears, we'll end up not having more visits, and then Gohan won't have absolutely nobody else to talk with. And if that happens, he'll be so depressed that won't want to do anything... even STUDYING!!" such a horrible thought sent shivers throughout her whole body. She grabbed Bulma's neck again, almost strangling her this time and yelled at her face: "You can't ruin my son's future!"

That Goku... Bulma probably would have laughed at the schemes of his long-life friend to keep peace between his wife and friends. However, Chichi's brazen attitude ignited her temper. Abruptly, she shrugged off the other woman's touch and took two steps backwards as she stared Chichi with cold eyes.
 
"So, this is the true reason why you're here? You want to make it up to me, so at least I will keep visiting you and make sure Gohan regains his will for studying?" she hissed as she crossed her arms and turned around, mimicking Vegeta's classic attitude. " 'Goku said it was silly for us to fight' Ha! I should have known better. Since when do you listen to Goku - or anyone, for that matter?"

"Of course this is not the only reason why I came here!" Chichi bellowed, hurt tears cascading out of her eyes. "You are my best friend, the only female friend I have, actually! Do you really think I would be so insensitive at the point of come here just because of my son?"
 
"You admitted yourself that..." Bulma started to say, but just that moment she made the 'mistake' of turning her head to look at the black-haired woman. Chichi's eyes were reddened and swollen from crying, and the lower part of her face was buried in her handkerchief. Loose threads of black hair dropped dead over her forehead, making her look even more miserable. Bulma rolled her eyes and sighed. Damn it! It's almost impossible to hold grudges against someone that cries so much. Walking towards the desperate housewife, the scientist friendly patted her on her shoulder.
 
"Now, now, it's all right. I don't see any reason why Gohan can't play with that drag..." a warning glint flickered in Chichi´s eyes, and Bulma prudently stepped back. "But I think I can find some use for his battle clothes. I'll keep them, and tell him I said thank you."

Chichi sniffed in relief and nodded. Seeing she was calmer now, the older woman hurriedly said she would bring her a glass of water with sugar and ran through the door, actually taking the chance to leave and breathe a bit of fresh air.
 
 
As if on cue, a few moments after Bulma crossed the door Vegeta came back, his hair still slightly damp because he had almost drowned himself by washing his face repeatedly, with a great amount of cold water. It was better not say how the bathroom was after he left it.
 
As soon as he stepped in the room, he instantaneously noticed that the sniffling woman standing there wasn't the same he had left. His eyes widened in shocked recognition.
 
"Kakarot's woman?" he said with surprise. "What are you doing here?"

At the sound of a new voice, Chichi turned around to look at the newcomer. Feeling an instantaneous dislike of the stranger, she slowly grew a frown on her face as her eyes slowly scanned him from head to toe.
 
"Who are you, some friend of Bulma?" she snapped without roundabouts. "Why you are almost undressed in the house of a respectable family?"

"Even if I was completely undressed it wouldn't be of your concern." he spat. "I am Vegeta, the Prince of the Saiyans. You probably heard about me."

Yes, she had heard about him. Vegeta could read that in her face. However, it wasn't fear that drained her faces of all color, as he initially thought.
 
Vegeta never understood how he could have left his guard so low to the point to allow her to touch his face. True that he honestly didn't expect that a mere, insignificant human female would be capable of moving so fast, let alone to cause him some pain. Although her fist obviously didn't produce any damage, it was enough to push his face a few centimeters backwards.
 
"How dare you, you ordinary little bitch? Do you have any idea of what you have done?" he growled, rubbing his outraged chin.
 
"THIS IS FOR HAVING BEATEN ON MY GOHAN!!!!" Chichi roared at the top of her lungs as she rubbed her throbbing hand. It ached from the contact with that nasty man's hard face, but still she took impulse and charged at him again... only, fortunately, to be caught by Bulma from behind. The blue-haired woman was just coming through the hallway with the promise glass of water for Chichi when she heard the screams; instantaneously, she had dropped the glass and tossed herself through the lab door at the desperate hope of preventing the imminent tragedy.
 
"Are you crazy?!" Bulma said between pants, as she used her whole strength to wrap her own arms under Chichi's, restraining her movements.
 
"It's me supposed to ask if you're crazy, not you, Bulma!” Chichi sputtered, as she struggled against her friend's grip. "What this... this criminal is doing in your house? And almost naked?" she peeked suspiciously upon her shoulder at Bulma. Blushing slightly, the scientist released Chichi and gave two steps back.
 
"Vegeta, put that wretched shirt on now or Chichi's brains will explode!" she ordered before turning her attention back to the Ox woman. "Chichi, this is not like you're thinking! Vegeta is my guest, nothing else. He's living here because he hasn't anywhere to go- and is quite abusive at times- but that's all. Gohan and the others didn't tell you?"

"Yes, they did, but I never could believe that. We both watched the whole damage caused by those abhorrent Saiyans on TV... how can you give lodgings to one of these monsters, after everything they did?"

"I asked her the same question." Vegeta sneered as he finished buttoning his shirt.
 
"If you're not going to help, it's better to shut up." Bulma huffed at him. "Chichi, this 'monster' is on our side now. We need him to help Goku to save the world from the Androids."

"I'm not on anybody's side." the prince spat. "And I'm not going to help Kakarot, either! I'm going to destroy those tin can dolls alone
, I told you!"

"Ha! As if." Chichi wrinkled her nose at him. "My Goku will reduce them to dust with one arm tied on his back before you'll have the time of unfolding these little arms of yours! The only thing you'll have is a good butt-kicking."

Vegeta started to raise his ki.
 
"Woman, if you don't want to die, is better to apol..." he started, but Bulma cut off his words with a pointed finger and a threat ready on her tongue.
 
"If you really want your new clothes, shorty, it is better to shut your mouth." With that, she not only silenced the Saiyan, but the black-haired woman, too. For a few moments, Chichi started mouth-opened at Bulma.
 
"N-new clothes?" she echoed. "That's why the reason why he was not wearing his shirt before? Because he was trying clothes or something…?"

"YES! YOU WERE THINKING WHAT, EXACTLY?!" Bulma and Vegeta yelled in unison, staring at the Ox Princess with identical glares. Chichi shrunk, her face flushing crimson at the angry stares of both. She looked down, first at the clothes spread all over the table, then at the computer. Slowly, the pieces of the puzzle joined together and she raised a pair of very cold eyes to Bulma.
 
"So... that's why you have borrowed Krillin's battle clothes? To make a new outfit for... him?" she pointed at Vegeta at the same way she would indicate a cockroach in her kitchen.
 
"Yes. Why?" it was the other woman's dry reply.

"Why? Because I'm not going to help you to dress this monster! !" in a Panzer-like pace, Chichi marched toward the table and grabbed not only Gohan's uniform but Krillen's too, "And I don't believe that Krillen would have lent you his clothes if he knew what you were planning to do with them! I'm very disappointed with you!"
 
To be honest, Bulma no longer need those uniforms, since all the samples had already been taken and now Vegeta was at hand for the measurements. Yet she wasn't the kind of person to put up with that. Resolutely, too, she charged towards Chichi and grabbed the clothes, trying to snatch them from the younger woman's arms.
 
"What do you have to do with the fact of I making new battle clothes for Vegeta or not? It's my collaboration in the battle against the Androids!” she bellowed.
 
"We have nothing to do with this silly battle! Let Goku and our friends to solve that!” Chichi bellowed back as she pulled the clothes to her side.
 
More pulling came from Bulma's side.
 
"We have EVERYTHING to do with this 'silly' battle! It's our friends and YOUR HUSBAND who might be killed for our lives and the rest of humanity, if you haven't realized that! And anybody who might help - even if it is for selfish reasons," Bulma added through the corner of her mouth as she darted a crossed look at Vegeta. "deserves all our support! Piccolo, for example! What do you have to say about Piccolo?"
Pulling from Chichi increased.
 
"What has Piccolo to do with that?"
 
Stronger pulling from Bulma ensued. (luckily the clothes were resistant)
 
"You despise him so much, but you paid his driving lessons, along with Goku's! You told me that yourself!"

"What?" Vegeta, who still then had watched the tug-of-war in silence, opened his mouth in a shocked "O". Bulma was distracted by that, and Chichi took the advantage to snatch the clothes from her antagonist's hands with an even stronger tug.
 
"I never should have told you these things!" she complained while she clutched the clothes in her arms. "Yes, I did that." she admitted grudgingly. "I can't stand that ugly demon and, if it was in my power, Gohan never would be anywhere near him again. But at least he saved my baby-boy's life, while this precious Vegeta of yours tried to kill Gohan!"
 
"But on Namek Vegeta saved Gohan's life!" Bulma yelled unexpectedly.
 
Both the Saiyan and the black-haired woman stared at Bulma with wide, dumb eyes. Vegeta was the first to react.
 
"How do you know that?" he demanded fiercely. Chichi turned to stare at him in shock. She was ready to think that Bulma was lying; however, she was smart enough to see that Vegeta looked as shocked as her, and a little embarrassed too, even he tried to disguise it.
 
"You... you saved my Gohan?" she asked very slowly, as the truth was too horrible to bear. At her question, he turned around and regally folded his arms across his chest.
 
"I don't want your thankfulness, if it's that what you're worrying about!" he spat. “I needed the brat, and I wouldn't have him ruin my plans just because he was too stupid to stand in the way of a ki-blast!"
 
The two women glared indignantly at him. Chichi's eyes flickered from Vegeta to Bulma, then back to Vegeta. She was still very angry, but now a bit of doubt existed in her mind. Bulma noticed her confusion and took the advantage.
 
"See, Chichi" she coaxed. "Even if Vegeta was with second intentions, the fact was that, if it wasn't by him Gohan wouldn't be alive now. Everybody has some good, deep down (sometimes, very, very deep) inside them. Just remember that most of our friends were once criminals or worse, and now they're all working to keep the world safe..."

"What? Are you telling me that this woman isn't one of these former criminals?" Vegeta sneered from his spot.
 
If Chichi still wanted to kill Vegeta, Bulma would have gleefully joined her. What did that crackpot want to do, to ruin everything? The dark young woman instantaneously accused the impact. Her eyes sent fire again, and no one would blame her this time.
 
"Why, your insolent lummox! I am as pure and clean as a freshly-washed bathroom! Nobody would find anything wrong in me."

Vegeta gave an ironic snort. Slowly, he turned around and raised his eyes to hers.
 
"Even the most disinfected bathroom retains some germs hidden. If not you, then a relative of yours..." he said very slowly, his eyes scanning hers with malice. "Who?" his stare made her exposed, almost like it opened a hole through her body.

Chichi's features slowly were drained of all color. Her vision blurred a little, and for a moment she felt like if Vegeta had sprouted horns and a pointed tail.
 
Her father's money, the same money that now kept her family, hadn't been obtained very honestly, to tell the truth. She never had judged her father for that when she was younger; in the old days, especially in the savage lands they lived, gathering riches through obtaining other's possessions was another way of surviving. Equally natural was the need to defend their possessions from thieves, even if sometimes it was necessary to go beyond simple intimidation or a few punches in the face. However, in the eyes of the modern world, the Ox King would be considered a thief... and a murderer.
 
Slowly, she lowered her eyes from Vegeta to stare at the floor. Walking towards the table, she dropped the hard won clothes on top of it.
"Alright, I promise, I promise. You'll be the first one to know if he'll rape me, or do anything else. I swear." Bulma sighed, as she practically pushed her friend through the door. She still had to promise at least ten times she would REALLY call if Vegeta did something, before Chichi was definitely gone and Bulma finally could slam the door. She let out a relieved "ouf".
"I don´t know who told you about the brat, but you didn't have the right to expose me like that!" Vegeta snarled at her back.
Oh my… Facing one talking hurricane after another was too much for a simple woman!
"I didn´t know it! I was just bluffing!" Bulma snapped back as she whirled around, ready for the new battle.
"I don´t need your defense!" 
 
"I wasn't defending you, you conceited egomaniac! It´s just I don´t like someone dictating me who I have the right or not of inviting into MY house! So, that was really true?" 
 
Vegeta calmed down a little.
"Yes," was his grudging reply. "but don´t look at me like that! I already said: I saved the brat because he had an important role in my plans! Besides…" he looked down, visibly embarrassed, " … he dared to save my life," he confessed, almost inaudibly. It was obvious to anybody how much the idea of having depended on someone costed him.
Every time Bulma thought she really knew how Vegeta´s mind worked, she discovered something new. She tried to look sober, but in her eyes there was a soft, almost tender glint.
"I see. It would be very humiliating for you to go on knowing you own your life to someone."
As reply, Vegeta gave his usual snort.
"Enough of this idle chatter! Finish this damn measurements… and no massages this time!"
For the first time Bulma simply complied without talking back (a fact that would have caused practically all of her friends to gape). Perhaps because she was tired of so much fights and wanted to go through with this as much as him. They finished the measuring process quickly and silently.
"Any colors, in particular?" Bulma asked as she unwinded the tape from Vegeta´s ankles.
However, the prince was too busy with his own thoughts to listen to her.
"I wonder why Kakarott has chosen such a woman for his wife…" he thought aloud, absently, for only then he remembered he had heard the sound of a voice. Quickly, he glanced down to see Bulma´s eyes again spitting blue sparkles at him. Shit…
"You weren't listening to me?" she snarled. One vein in her forehead was already bulging in "x".
*Vegeta's snort*
"It´s not my fault if you spend the whole time talking. Was that something important?" both his tone and facial expression made it clear that he didn´t believe Bulma was capable of saying anything important.
"NO! It wasn't anything important! Forget it! I didn´t want to interrupt Your Majesty's sacred thoughts!" Bulma bellowed as she jumped to her feet and furiously wrapped the tape around her own arm. She noticed what she had done and started unwind the blasted thing again, as she mumbled something like, "Mrrmmmm, when I´ll make your goddamn clothes purple with pink spots you'd better not complain, hrrrmmmrrrrmmmm…"
"Damn it, what are you mumbling there?"
She didn´t respond. Kami, men were all alike on any planet. They never listened to the woman, and then…
"Is it true, that thing you said to Kakarot's wife? That you're making my uniform just as your contribution to the battle within three years?" Vegeta spoke suddenly.
Caught off guard, Bulma startled, dropping the measuring tape.
There's no storm yet I hear thunder.
"Yes…" she forced herself to say.
And I'm breathless, why I wonder?
"Then why did you tell me that you were planning to make me a surprise?" he grilled on.
"I…I…" Bulma gulped as her cheeks slowly turned red. Then she exploded, "Why, make your own conclusions! Whatever I'll say, you'll get angry! Is it so important for you to know the reason why I'm doing this?"  
Weak one moment, 
Then the next I'm fine
"No." he smirked. She was as easy to read as a book, and so funny to bait.
"Anyway," he added in, "I want you to know that I'll pay for this. I don't want to give you anything else to throw on my face, in the future." 
Bulma had expected anything but that. This was really the day for surprises!
"And…" she arched a suspicious eyebrow. "Where are you going to get money to pay me? Are you planning to get a job?"
"Silly woman. Don't you have another ways of paying besides cash in this planet?" he grunted.
 
She stood staring confusedly at him, before something clicked in her mind and her mouth slowly drew up in an “O”. Her blank look faded away to give place to a knowing smirk.
 
"And... how you're going to pay, may I ask?" she said as very, very slowly, as she walked until she was within centimeters of him.
 
Vegeta had seen only one living being walking that way... one of the old man Briefs' cats, before the wretched little beast tried to claw his right leg. He stood regally where he was while Bulma strode catlike towards him, nothing could betray was happened inside.
 
I feel as if I'm falling every time
 
"You'll know when you'll finish it, not before."

"Aah..." Bulma made a mocking pout. "Can't you give me at least a sample?" she winked at him. A slight flush colored the prince's cheeks, but he decided playing along and raised a corner of his mouth. Funny, he hadn't realized before how much she had come close to him.
 
"Don't try me." he muttered, lips close to her ear.
 
The knob squeaked, startling them. Instantaneously, Vegeta jumped back, and backed a few meters from Bulma, just a few seconds before the always happy Mrs. Briefs swinging open the door a gap.
 
"Time to dinner!" she singsonged before noticing her daughter wasn't alone. Her already happy face lightened up, "Oh, Vegeta! So good that you have left the ship. Now you're going to have your dinner cold, like it has happened these last two weeks."

He didn't respond, of course, but the mention of food made Bulma sigh blissfully.
 
"Oh, good. I am so hungry that I could eat a..." she made a move toward the door, but Vegeta cut her off.
 
"She's not dining with us." he said to Mrs. Briefs, though he looked sternly at Bulma. "She has to stay here to prepare my new battle clothes."

"Of course I am going to dinner, too!" Bulma started to sidestep Vegeta, but he matched her movement, and she almost collided with him.

"You have a lot of work to do and the sooner you start the better. With your slow pace, it's better you start now, or you're not going to finish it before the three years are up.
I can't wait so long."

"But... You're going to make me starve, you ungrateful, pesky man!" Bulma whined pitifully "How do you expect I work with my stomach roaring like..." she started, but Mrs. Briefs gleefully cut off her argument.
 
"Oh, don't worry, honey. I'll bring your dinner here in the lab, after we finish eating. I am so glad that you and Vegeta are getting along again!" and with that, she turned around to Vegeta, motioning him to come. "C'mon, Veggie-chan, I made onigiri..."

Without responding, of course, he merely marched through the door asides the blonde, without even an 'excuse me'. She whirled around and cheerfully followed him to the dining room, leaving her unhappy and famished daughter behind.
 
"Onigiri!" Bulma whined as she was in pain. "I do something for him, and in payment I have to be stuck here while he'll stuff his wretched stomach with my onigiri! What have I done to deserve that?"
 
Her stomach responded with a long, deep groaning - the last straw for her battered nerves. Bulma's ears let out puffs of smoke. Before her mind could even register what she was doing, she backed to the table and grabbed the first thing her hand felt on it-Gohan's pectoral armor - then raised her arm to toss it as far as she could.
 
Just that moment, Vegeta's head poked through the door.
 
"Blue." he stated simply. He flashed a look at the paralyzed woman with the armor in her hand, as if that pose of hers was very natural and the only funny thing was the fact that she didn't respond.
 
"It was what you asked before, wasn't it?" he insisted. "I want my future clothes blue." and with that his head disappeared through the threshold, before he slammed the door.
 
Bulma remained in that forced position a few moments after the door was closed, unsure about her feelings. She couldn't tell if it was anger, shame or what that bubbled inside of her. Finally, she realized she was holding her breath without any apparent reason. Slowly, Bulma released the air in her lungs as she put the armor back on the table and dropped her already aching arm. And then she started to laugh. The way he looked so impassible when he caught her about to throw the armor, his nerve about demanding his clothes blue even under risk of receiving a piece of rubber in his face... she really should have thrown that at him, the son of a bitch. Yet every time she remembered the scene her body shook again with laughter.
 
I am a bundle of confusion
Yet that has a strange appeal
 
The scenes of Vegeta's meeting with Chichi came back to her mind, just increasing her laughter. The anger, the distress and nervousness she had felt for being in the middle of the fight between the two thick-heads were forgotten, leaving only the hilarity and the ridiculous of the whole situation. Bulma never had seen anybody able to face the famous fury of Goku's wife so calmly, without a hint of fear. Well, she thought, after having fought Freeza, Zarbon and lots of other monsters in space, Chichi must have been a piece of cake for him!
 
The thought of Chichi as a 'cake' caused another wave of laughs. Bulma felt like her chest was about to explode. Her body ached from the effort; her eyes were red and stinging with tears of hilarity. She leaned her weight on the table as she tried to get some air; finally, slowly, she calmed down. Then, she brushed her eyes and smiled.
 
As the days past, Bulma caught herself admiring Vegeta for this or that reason. She understood now, or at least she supposed to, the reason why Goku seemed to respect him so much, making the point of sparing his life. Well, at least one thing was right: as much as Vegeta was a jerk, it was nearly impossible to be bored when he was around. Singing, she came back to the work.
 
Did it all begin with him
And the way he makes me feel
I like the way he makes me feel...
 
Vegeta paced back to the kitchen as he savored his small 'revenge' on the woman for all the embarrassments she had made him suffer that afternoon. By his stony, stern face no one would be able to tell that he actually was fighting against the laugh that churned in his stomach. The pitiful face that ridiculous woman did when he stopped her from eating... And then, when it had suddenly occurred him that she had become mad because he hadn't told her what color he wanted for his new uniform... He had fled back to the laboratory, before Bulma decided to take revenge on him by making his clothes 'purple with pink spots' as she had threatened... just to find her holding the brat's armor, as if she had intutively predicted he would come back. The astonished look in her face when he spied through the doorway... he had expected that the armor was thrown at him, but nothing happened. She merely stood there, like a statue, as he spoke to her, and Vegeta would be that she was probably still there, with the piece of rubber high in her hand and that 'doh' look.
 
He didn't feel like laughing since... he couldn't even remember the last time he had actually laughed in his life, besides gloating or sadistic pleasure.
 
I'm not sure I understand
But I like the way I feel.
 
During the dinner Mrs. Briefs made comments about how Vegeta looked cute when he smiled. Even her usually absent husband looked surprise at their guest's sudden 'good' mood. Luckily, he was too distracted with his own thoughts to hear what they said, or he'd be ashamed about letting his guard down like that.
 
Yes, he thought, his mind far away from the dining place, perhaps to stay on Earth could be very satisfying. He didn't know why he felt like that... but he liked the way he felt.