Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Z Files ❯ Partners ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
well, folks: here it is... the first chapter to my hopefully-to-be epic. your comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated. i'm winging it here, guys. errr... let's have a slight introduction of the characters.

Buruma Briefs - a medical examiner for the FBI, Buruma is a logical, rational girl who thinks on her toes. Her superficial beauty accompanied by wide unassuming eyes lead many people to underestimate Buruma's skill as an agent. However, she proves her worth time and time again. She is a first class scientist who's last assignment was an outbreak of small pox that needed containing. Buruma is quite surprised when her higher-up, a man named Muten Roshi, tells her he has a "special" assignment for her of top priority. Little does Buruma know what she has gotten herself into by accepting her post....

Vejita Ouji - one of the FBI's most top agents, Vejita is a hard worker and an extremely skilled agent. However, he has become involved in a little known government program code-named the 'Z' files, investigating paranormal occurences in the U.S. Some think that Vejita's intense obsession with the program may stem from his personal interests... The FBI would hate to lose a man like Vejita so they continue with the 'Z' files, along Vejita to explore the occult. Recently, the 'Z' files have come under the scrutinous eyes of the head coucil that wish to disband it. Sending another agent to assess Vejita's work, which may result in the ultimate disbanding of the 'Z' files.....

*rev keys up her crappy tape-player.... eerie x-files theme musics starts to play...*


Buruma looked up quickly, slamming her hand back on the wheel. "Shit!" she cried as she narrowly missed hitting a post box. Her breathing slowed down as she gathered her wits. Buruma flipped her head nonchalantly, another near death experience had been avoided. She returned to what had previously occupied her attention. "Now where is that goddamn shoe!" Her right hand groppled blindly while her left held the steering wheel loosely. Finally retreiving the hiding stiletto, Buruma turns her full attention to the road, brushing a strand of cerulean blue hair from her face. Driving by the Potomac River, Buruma stares out into its murky depths, the gentle sway of the waves always had a calming effect on her. She glances at the digital clock in the car, reading 6:47 a.m. "If I don't make it on time, Roshi will have my ass for sure." She steps lightly in the accelerator sending the car blazing past all the other vehicles. She settles back in the plush leather seat, never one to crouch over the wheel like some women. Roshi had pulled aside after a briefing one morning, requesting that she join him in his office. At first she thought he was trying to make a pass at her--again--- but much to her surprise, no groping was involved in this meeting.

***flashback***

"I'm going to be stright forward with you, Briefs," he said while crossing over to sit behind his desk. Buruma nodded in understanding. He continued. "I have a special assignment I would like you to take on."
"And what would that be, sir?" Buruma asked curiously.
"You've heard of the 'Z' files?"
"Of course, investigations into the paranormal and the possibility of," she stopped to give a slight smile before saying the word. "aliens."
Muten Roshi said this was correct and went on to explain her involvement with these so-called investigations. "The Board of Directors has come under heat from Washington after the necessity of such a program. It will be your job to assess the work of Vejita Ouji, the program's sole agent---as his partner."
Buruma's eyes went wide. "You want me to 'debunk' the project?" she asked.
"In literal terms, yes. I trust you can handle this, Briefs?"
"Of course, sir," she reassured.
"Good, I expect you back with a full report when you feel you've observed enough."
She nodded an affirmation before turned to exit. Muten Roshi leaned over lecherously to peak under her skirt.
"Do even think about it, boss," Buruma ground out in a steely voice before slamming the door behind her.
Buruma pulled her shoulder-length hair back and tucked it behind her ear before exiting the threshold of Roshi's doorway. Walking back to the parking garage, she noticed other agent's at their cubicles and desks, staring at her. A few snicker and others let out not-so-silent chuckles. Buruma was about to punch one guy's lights out when she felt a finger lightly tap her shoulder. She turned around and was pleasantly surprised to see her old friend from the academy, Chi Chi.
"Chi Chi! What are you doing here? I thought you were stationed in Quantico?"
"I was but my three years are up and I'm up for reassignment," Chi Chi said smiling. Suddenly, her face turned somber. "Word around here is they stuck you with a nutcase. I'm really sorry, Buruma."
Buruma shrugged. "I don't know. I'm just suppoed to analyze his research is all. But I think my time would be best spent some place else."
Chi Chi nodded her head vigorously. "I agree. But enough of that, we should get together soon!"
"Of course, tell me when you're free!" Both young woman shook hands before departing their separate ways. Buruma heard a man's voice all out from the back of the room.
"Hey, good luck with catching those aliens!"
She grit her teeth as a chorus of chuckles echoed the room. She couldn't help herself this time. She marched to the back of the room and she punched.

***end flashback***

Buruma grasped her taveler's mug of coffee, taking a slow sip, carefully watching the road over the rim. Caffeine was defnitely a good thing for the morning. She tapped her fingers lightly against the wheel in time to the beat on the radio. Buruma was major sucker for the oldies, something she got from her mother. Currently she was feeling very powered femininely.
"You keep saying you've got something for me.... Something you call love but confess.... You've been a-messin' where you should've been a-messin'.... And now someone else is gettin' all your best.... these boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do.... One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.... You keep lyin' when you oughta be truth'.... and you keep losin' when you oughta not bet.... You keep same'n when you oughta be a-changin'.... Now what's right it right but you ain't been right yet...." By this time, Buruma was full on singing and bobbing her head. ".... These boots are made for walk' and that's just what they'll do... One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.... You keep playin' where you shouldn't be playin'.... And you keep thinkin' that you'll never get burned.... Ha!...." At this, Buruma let out a sarcastic 'Ha!' full of much spite against mankind. ".... I just found me a brand new box of matches.... yea.... And what he knows, you ain't had time to learn.... These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do.... One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.... Are ya read,y, boots?" Buruma asked in her most Nancy Sinatra-like impression. "Start walkin'!" she commanded.
As the music faded on the radio to those annoying paid commercials, Buruma pulled into the FBI headquarters parking structure. She gave a heavy sigh and brushed her bangs back from her forehead. "Back to the slave mills." She exited her car, slamming the door securely behind her.
As she left the structure through the stairwell, she heard a few whistles and catcalls from the guard post at the entrance of the headquarter grounds. One of the man cupped her hands around his mouth to shout: "Nice performance, Agent Sinatra!" Buruma turned beet red, bowing her head so they couldn't see her embarassment. She turned furiously towards the main building. "Shut up, Anderson!" she called over her shoulder. He laughed and turned back to checking off visitors on his clip board.
"Mother fucker..."she swore under her breath as she stalked through the sliding glass doors.
"Excuse me, Agent?"
Buruma looked up to see her high-up, Muten Roshi, standing in the lobby. He did not look happy. "Oh, sir, I didn't know you were here---"
"Obviously."
Buruma chewed her lip in shame before daring another attempt at conversation. "My assignment, sir?"
"Agent Ouji is down in his office. I trust you'll know you're way there?"
"I'll manage."
He nodded curtly before exiting to destinations unknown. Buruma let out the breath she had been holding. "Someone up there hates me," she groaned. She walked to the nearest elevator and pressed the button for the lower basement floor. She rolled her eyes.
"Figures they'd put it all the way down here." She exited the elevator as the doors slid open and walked briskly to the farthest door on the left corridor; a door marked 'Z Files Office'. She knocked once briskly on the dusty door before she heard a slight shuffling inside. She heard a deep masculine voice call out.
"Sorry, nobody down here but the FBI's most unwanted." At that, Buruma let herself inside the office, shutting the door softly behind her.
"Agent Ouji, I'm Agent Buruma Briefs, assigned to be your partner," she said stonily.
He regarded for a moment before returning his attention back the files in his hand. "Oh, isn't it nice to be suddenly so highly regarded. So who did you tick off to get stuck with this detail, Briefs?"
"Actually, I'm looking forward to working with you. I've heard a lot about you."
"He looked from his files again, a slight smirk playing on his face. "Oh, really... I was under the impression that you were sent to spy on me."
She rolled her eyes in response. "Are you this suspicious of everyone?"
"No, only rational twits who have no place in my business, except to spy..."
"So, you're an 'aline hunter', huh?" she asked with obvious amusement in her voice.
"You could say that," he growled. "I like to call myself a paranormal investigator."
She smiled. "So you believe all that stuff about life on other planets?"
"Do you?"
"Logically, I would have to say no. Given the distance need to travel from the far off reaches of space, the energy requirements would exceed a spacescraft's capabilities---"
"Conventional wisdom... Think outside the box, Briefs."
"I like the box right where it is thank you."
He shook his head and turned his attention back to the files, looking back and forth between two different portfolios with data scribbled on sheets in each. Buruma crossed the room to look over his shoulder at the files.
"I'm guessing those aren't football scores."
He glared at her.
"So what are these anyway?"
"Case files from various murders..."
"Murders? I thought you did abductions."
"Not every paranormal occurence has to do with people being sucked into space," he shot angrily.
"Hmm... what sort of murders," she asked while taking the files from him, ignoring his previous remark. He growled at her blatant intrusion into his investigation. He snatched the folders back.
"If you must pry... these murders happened all across the United States--"
"Is there a common factor?" she cut in.
"I was just going to get to that," he sighed. He turned and set the files on his cluttered desk. A poster of a hazy UFO hovering under the words 'I want to believe' was tacked right about his desk. "All the victims had two strange red marks on their skin."
"Rash?"
"Hardly," he scoffed.
"The answers are there, you just have to know where to look for them."
He gave her a withering look. "That's why they put the I in FBI. I'll see you here tomorrow morning, Briefs. Bright and early. We leave for the very plausible state of Oregon at 8:00 am sharp," he informed her. She nodded curtly before exiting the musty office of the sole agent of the 'Z' Files.
Vejita watched her go, shaking his head. If there was a God, why was he punishing Vejita like this? "Curse you," he muttered under his breath. He slid the portfolios into his briefcase before turning off the lights to his office and walking to the FBI research center for a little background research.

******************************************************** *****************************************************************

Buruma yawned widely, cracking her jaw, as she exited the elevator at the second basement level.. She had her dark blue blazer slung over her shoulder and her blouse half tucked as she laxily shuffled down the famliar hallway. She groaned as she bumped into the door.
"Come in," she heard her partner say.
She groaned again, groped for the door handle, then stomped inside to see him already busy at work with sifting through a stack of folders, each pinned with photos of the crime scene. She stumbled to the one chair across from his desk. She slid into the seat, flopping her head onto the desk. He looked up from the files unamused and raised an eyebrow.
"Coffee..." she moaned. He grunted and nodded towards the corner of the room where there was a small portable coffee maker. She dragged her body over to the table and poured herself a cup. After the third or fourth sip she was back to her normal, rational self. "So when are we heading out?"
"Soon... Shut up and drink your coffee."
Buruma grit her teeth and turned around to pout facing the wall. Five minutes later, Vejita slipped the stack of folders into his briefcase and stood up, the chair scraping harshly against the cool concrete floor of the basement. "Ready?" he asked. She nodded exasperately. "Then let's go," he said walking to the door. He held it open and just as she was about to walk through, he cut in front of her to walk before her. She huffed and followed behind him thinking of the thousands of ways of removing him from the earth...slowly....

*********************************************** ***************************************************************************

Buruma stepped out of the rental car, the door creaked dangerously as she swung it closed. The latch barely caught.
"Backed by the most powerful government in the world and we can't even afford decent transportation," Buruma commented as she crossed the deserted city street. Her partner jogged to catch up with her, grinning maliciously.
"I didn't see you chip in for gas," he stated.
"I'm a taxpayer too," she growled. "As far as I'm concerned, I've paid for gas for the entire company." He snickered. They arrived at their first destination. The bell above the door rang as they entered the diner.
"Welcome to Bellefleur, Oregon, Briefs," he whispered into her ear. She cringed slightly at the weak lighting and the overly 'woodsy' smell of the place. What she wouldn't give to be back in urban culture.
"What are we doing here?" she asked looking over at him.
He sat at a bar stool in front of the counter. "Getting breakfast," he stated, looking at her as if she were stupid.
She bit her lip then thought the better of it and joined him at the counter. They ordered the Lumberjack breakfast, cleaning up nicely before Vejita signaled to the guy behind the counter. The guy sauntered up to the bar, leaning over it to stare at the oddly dressed pair.
"What d'ya want?" he asked as he sized up the man and the woman in their dark-colored suits.
Vejita flipped out his badge and Buruma followed suit. "I'm Special Agent Ouji, this is Special Agent Briefs. We're here investigating the deaths of those high school students."
The man looked surprised. "They called the FBI?"
Buruma took over. "Certain circumstances warrant an indepth investigation," she hinted.
He nodded knowingly. "Nothing like this has ever happened in Bellefleur," he mourned.
"And hopefully never happen again," she reassured. The agents paid for their breakfast before making for the door. The man behind the counter waved to them to get their attention.
"That Soames kid. One of the girl's classmates, I reckon. His funeral was last week."
Buruma raised her eyebrows in question.
"I'd start with him. It was just a suggestion."
Vejita nodded solemnly then exited the diner followed by Buruma. They stood in the warm daylight before crossing the road to their POS 'vehicle.' "So..." she began.
"To the cemetary," Vejita said almost too cheerily.

******************************************************** ******************************************************************

Vejita and Buruma stood off to the side while two burly men unearthed the grave of Ray Soames, a classmate of the latest victim, Karen Swenson. The crew finished, finally hitting the hard wood of the coffin. The wiped the sweat from the brow as it trickled down towards their eyes. They latched a pulley around the casket and hurled it from the disturbed earth. With a sickingly crack, the harnass cradling the casket broke and the casket rolled down the small incline, thumping heavily as it reached the bottom. Vejita loped down the hill peering over the side of the casket at the small cracked opening where hitting the edge had pressured the coffin to open. Vejita pushed the coffin on its back nonchalantly and a smal body came tumbling out. Buruma clasped her hands over her mouth in a silent scream. The body that lurched onto the mossy ground was not human. Atleast, it did not appear that way. It was far too small and a light coat of fur covered its body.
"Dear Kami! What is it?" she whispered.
Vejita kicked it lightly with the tip of his boot. "Your guess is as good as mine," he answered gruffly. "We'll need to get a tissue sample to match it to the girl's. You're not squeamish about that kind of thing, are you?" he asked with an evil grin.
"I don't know," she answered, her eyes still trained on the simian corpse. "I've never had the pleasure."

The two agents stomped throught the tall grasses surrounding the cemetary to locate their car and get back to the motel. They left shortly after the coroner's crew came to pick up the body for the autopsy. The two burly men were left to fill a hole with an empty coffin. No sense in the town going abuzz with the notion there was a grave digger about. No, things were complicated enought as it is.
"Where to?" Buruma inquired as she slid into the vehicle, the seat sqeaking under her weight.
"We'll follow the coroner and his crew back to the mortuary."
"You want me to supervise the autopsy now? I just ate breakfast?"
"I have it on good authority that you performed autopsy back at the FBI academy for the forensic students," he replied coolly.
"So you've been doing background checks, huh? Well, don't bother. I'm well-qualified, buddy. Unlike a certain alien chaser! What--did you get your certification paranormal practitioning? I'm sure Unsolved Mysteries would glady take you as their new host," she spat.
He shook her a look. He was unfazed by her remarks; they were commonplace to him after being ridiculed countless times by his fellow agents. Vejita was numb to humiliation.
"You're going to cut open that body and that's final," he said a little too harshly. She sank back into ther seat, pouting.

Buruma stood over the corpse. Riga mortis had obviously already set in. She walked around it slowly, making notes into hersmall tape recorder. "An abnormally thick coat of hair covers the entire body. Cranial structure is compliant with that of apes or neanderthals. In fact..." she started, a light frown creased her brow as she thought deeply. She bent closer to the corpse and pulled back its upper lip, examining the teeth. Her eyes swept the rest of the decaying form. "...it's an orangutan." She turned off the tape recorder with a click and motioned for Vejita to join her inside the examining room. Once inside, she told her of her findings.
"It's a monkey?"
"An orangutan to be precise."
"What the devil was it doing in Soames' coffin when they supposedly buried him a week ago," he muttered, while concentrating. "Anything else." She crossed the room and procured a metal tray from the counter.
"As a matter of fact, I found one thing odd." She gave him the tray that held a small metal object," he looked up at her obviously demanding an explanation. "It was lodged in the ape's nasal cavity." That explanation did not seem to bode well with him. "Primates do not grow meatl objects in their upper nasal cavity, Ouji. It was placed there strategically. But for what reason?" she questioned.
Vejita looked the odd-shaped piece of metal over in his heand behind he place dit back in the tray. I say it's high time we did some investigating," he grunted.
"What do you call this, hmm? It certainly wasn't a party touching a dead body."
He turned and walked away. "I expect you at the car in fifteen. Oh, and try not to smell like dead monkey," he sneered. Buruma shothim a a deadly glare before walking off in the opposite direction.

"Partners," both muttered venemously, though they had no idea their thoughts were mutual.

********************************************************** *************************************************************
okie...i was gonna do the pilot all in one chapter but the pilot is one hour long on tv. imagine how long it would take me to write if i get to writing every other day or so... yea.. you see the point. i thought this was a good place to stop and post. hope you like it so far. some of the lines were actual quotes from teh show that i encorporated. let me know if you want to know which ones. so... the chars may go ooc but i'm trying like hell not to let them get to far off track. PLEASE read and REVIEW!!! yes... just press the little button at the bottom.. there ya go. now write something snazzy! haha. ~rev kurame~