Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Veil ❯ Pity ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know some of you were disturbed by the last chapter, but I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I did warn you (lol). Well, thank you so much for the reviews you gave, they were great.

***************************************************************< /div>

More tears flowed down her cheeks, she was saddened by the crushed form of Vegeta lying there half naked, save for her coat which covered his most intimate regions.

"I'll be right back, I'm getting some help." She looked at him wistfully, knowing that he could hear her.

Standing up from where she sat next to him, she ran out of the throne room towards the one Saiya-jin that would help her, no questions asked.

She just hoped he would help -her-. He had no clue of her new appearance.

*****

Her feet pounded against the stone floor as she ran towards the only Saiya-jin that would help her. She turned through the narrow secret passageways, praying she would get to Bardock in time for him to help Vegeta.

After what seemed like a small eternity, she found herself at the front door of Bardock's room. Taking a deep breath, she banged on the door, praying he would be in there.

She found herself holding her breath, as the door slowly opened.

Bardock opened the door, his face scowling. "What?" He was right in the middle of working on a project left by the female Chikyuu-jin. The news of her death had shocked him to the core. He just couldn't believe she was dead... All because of an arrogant little Prince.

"Bardock!!" Bulma prayed that he would recognize her. She didn't have the time to tell him about her transformation

Bardock looked down sharply at the small raven haired female that spoke his name, as if she knew him. He paused for a moment, the voice seemed uncannily like that of Bulma's. "Yes?"

"Bardock, you have to come quickly to the throne room, it's Vegeta!" Her voice was urgent and pressing.

Bardock's eyes widened in surprise. "Bulma?"

Bulma breathed a sigh of relief, he knew it was her! "Yes!" She cried, elated, "How did you know it was me?"

Bardock snorted, "Any fool can see that it is you, regardless of the changes that you have undergone. But I thought you were dead? And what is this of Vegeta?"

Bulma nodded, Bardock was after all a smart man. She just couldn't believe that Radditz had not recognized her in a few moments. It took him a great deal of tim to decipher that it was indeed her. "I'll explain that later, we have to hurry and get Vegeta to the rejuvenation tanks. He's been hurt by Frieza."

Bardock looked at Bulma with his brow furrowed, "Frieza?!"

Bulma was beginning to grow impatient. "I'll explain everything on the way there, please let's go!"

Bardock nodded, not bothering to question further because he knew he wouldn't get anything out of her at that moment.

*****

When they had taken Vegeta's broken body to the medical bay, they had found all of the rejuvenation tanks had been destroyed. Bulma looked around the large medic bay in dismay. "How did this happen?!" She cried out, not understanding who would do such a thing.

Bardock, who was carrying Vegeta, noticed something lying in the corner of the room. Or more like someone. He narrowed his eyes at the crumpled form. "Brolli.." He breathed.

Bulma frowned and looked over to where Bardock's gaze was planted. Bulma remained silent.

Bardock found that he had to fill the silence, "There must have been a struggle in here. But that doesn't explain why the tanks are broken. Someone must have purposely sabotaged them, they knew that Vegeta was going to be hurt."

Realization dawned across Bulma's features, "That green man!"

"What?"

"There was a green man that came into the forest. Radditz seemed to know him. I think he called him.. Zarbon?"

Bardock growled, "Zarbon. Of course. And you say that Radditz was fighting with him when you left?"

Bulma nodded, "He told me to come and see if Vegeta was alright. He said that he would take care of Zarbon."

Bardock shifted Vegeta's weight slightly and snarled, "That idiot!"

Bulma was confused, he did mean Zarbon, didn't he? "Who, Zarbon?"

Bardock shook his head, "No, Radditz. The fool is going to get himself killed."

Bulma's eyes rounded at the words, "What? Surely he can beat Zarbon, can't he?"

Bardock drew a grim line with his mouth. "Zarbon is much more powerful than Radditz."

Bulma felt as though someone had torn out her insides, how could she have left Radditz on his own? Her eyes glistened, and looked helplessly at Bardock, "Let's take Vegeta to his room, can you look at Vegeta's wounds?"

Bardock nodded.

Bulma drew a deep breath, "Right then, let's go.."

But Bardock stood still and looked at the broken rejuvenation tanks, "It seems as though Frieza didn't want Vegeta no Ouji to recover quickly.. Vegeta must have been hurt considerably before he agreed to Frieza's demand, whatever it was."

Bulma grimaced and thought that Bardock had no idea as to what Vegeta had suffered. If only he had been there when she had first saw him, it was just heart wrenching. She placed her hand softly on Bardock's upper arm. "We better get him to his room, he needs to be checked and we've done nothing so far except delay his recovery."

Bardock nodded in agreement and they both turned to head for Vegeta's chambers.

***************************************************************< /div>

Nightfall had slowly begun descend on Vegeta-sei.

The lights had been turned down low, and so Bulma stood by the large windows of the room, bathed in the glow of brilliant moonlight. The two moons of the planet seemed uncannily pale that evening. It was as if they knew exactly what had happened and were grieving the occurrences of the day.

Bulma looked grimly at the sleeping Prince, who was now bandaged up thanks to Bardock.

His healing had begun.

Bardock had gone to get his son, Kakarott, in order to search for Radditz and so now Bulma was all alone in the large and exquisite room, with only a slumbering Saiya-jin to accompany her.

She had tried to force Bardock to stay with her, she did not want to be left alone to tend for the cruel Prince's wounds. But he did not heed her protests, though she did understand that he had to search for his own son. Her gaze shifted once again and she found herself looking up at the twinkling stars of the night sky. There was one thing that would not stop pestering her.

Why had Frieza left Vegeta alive?

After all the things done to him, surely Vegeta would feel as though he had suffered a great loss, his pride and self-esteem. Surely, he wouldn't want to live?

Bulma shivered at the coldness of the room, she had always despised night time on Vegeta-sei. It was always so eerily quiet, as if something was waiting to pounce on you when you least expected it.

A moan from the bed caught her attention.

She looked over at the stirring Prince. Bardock had been right, Saiya-jins healed much faster than humans. Although he wasn't fully healed, he was well on his way. Bulma walked slowly towards the large bed occupied by Vegeta. For some strange reason, he looked so small against the large size of the bed. He looked almost like a child, if it were not for the deep worry lines that were embedded into his face.

His handsome face had been marred considerably by the ruthless Frieza, Bulma could not even comprehend how Vegeta had survived the ordeal. At that moment there was a look of peacefulness on his face, that is until he started to stir once more.

Bulma frowned, noticing he did not look any better than when she had first laid eyes on him in the throne room. She crouched down beside the bed and gently placed the back of her hand against his forehead. He was running a fever, a very high fever.

Bulma sighed, knowing what she had to do. She still loathed Vegeta for all he had put her through, but to see him like this was heart breaking. To see what the great Saiya-jin no Ouji had been reduced to.

She stood up and walked to the connecting bathroom, she began to run a dry towel underneath the cold water. Rinsing the towel out, she returned to where Vegeta lay and placed the damp cloth gently on his forehead. This caused him to stir some more.

His body started to spasm slightly under her touch. This made Bulma start to panic slightly. What was wrong with him now? Her thoughts were flying through her at an immense speed, trying to figure out what she should do. Even though he was still unconscious, she knew he may be able to hear her voice. She coughed, clearing her throat.

Rubbing the towel against his forehead, she spoke softly and gently. "Vegeta.. It's ok."

His thrashing slowed to almost non-existent.

Bulma didn't know what else to say, instead she started humming a soothing tune, keeping the movements of the towel in rhythm with the beats in the tone. This was the only way she knew how to keep him from too much fitful movement, it would only do him more damage if he thrashed around like a bat out of hell.

He began to relax under the soothing humming of her voice and the cool cloth on his forehead. Bulma couldn't help believe that he was very much aware of his surroundings and what was going on, even though he was not awake.

Bulma narrowed her eyes as his lips began to twitch, she could tell he was awakening. She prayed that Bardock and Kakarott would hurry back from their search of Radditz. She begged Kami to let them come bearing good news.

But as we all know, news can never be good. If only Bulma knew that.

Her hearing sharpened as Vegeta began mumbling incoherent words. He was saying something she couldn't quite put her finger on.

Vegeta stirred and growled quietly, "Frieza.."

Bulma started to wonder if Vegeta had been traumatized by what happened earlier. What man wouldn't be? She reasoned with herself.

You hear cases of females being raped, continually. And Bulma was no exception. But men? Who had ever heard, commonly, of a grown man being subjected to such a horrific act.

Vegeta's eyes snapped open.

Bulma gasped and stared into the obsidian orbs. For some reason, they looked colder than before. They two shiny orbs had lost its fire, now they seemed hollow and empty, if not full of more content to the world around them.

Much like Bulma's had been ever since she had been forced away from her home.

Vegeta tried to sit up, but found himself to be immobile. Every limb, even every inch of his body that he moved, screamed out in agony. This was one of the worst beatings he had received since childhood.

After another failed attempt at sitting up, he gave up and flopped ungracefully back down on the soft bed. All the while he knew Bulma's eyes were on him, he couldn't bring himself to look at her. So ashamed he was. He could not even fight of one tiny fucking lizard, some Prince he was!

Vegeta could tell that Bulma knew what had happened to him. This cut him even deeper than anything else in the world.

Bulma continued to stare at him, afraid that he might lash out at any moment. However this time he did nothing of the sort, just remained silent and not daring to make eye contact with her. She found it necessary to say something, anything. "No one else knows.." She trailed off as his head snapped sideways, to face her. She half expected him to hit her, which of course he did not do.

Bulma took a deep breath and pressed the cool cloth gently onto his forehead, trying to relieve his burning fever. "Bardock says that you should be healed by tomorrow evening. Pretty lucky if you ask me."

Vegeta remained silent, but he found the strength to look at her. Her raven hair framed her face perfectly, making her seem all the more exotic. The cerulean that had once graced her iris, were now nothing except an inky black like the writing ink on Vegeta-sei.

There was something in her features that was different, that startled him. She was not wearing the look of hatred she normally donned, when looking at him. No, this was a different emotion. Something new, something to which he hadn't been on the receiving or giving end of.

And that was pity.

He narrowed his eyes, she felt pity for him! He did not need anyone's pity. Snarling, to the best extent that he could, he gathered up enough strength to brush her hand away and send the damp towel hurling across the room.

"Do not pity me ningen. DO NOT PITY ME!"

Shock was all Bulma could gather from the sudden outburst. As soon as it was there, it dissipated and anger began to show full force. "Listen good Vegeta. I don't give a shit about you. I'm only doing what Bardock told me to do!"

In truth, she was very worried about Vegeta. He was not behaving normally, for he would have attempted to harm her by now. Even the fiery rage that built up in his eyes was no longer there. It was just an empty black void, in which she found herself being sucked into.

Vegeta turned his head away from Bulma, not being able to watch the look of anger on her face any longer. Memories from earlier were imprinted into his mind and he wasn't sure if they would ever leave. He shook slightly. Would he be a coward to say that he was even more frightened of Frieza now than before? It had to be some sort of horrible nightmare, the Saiya-jin no Ouji, afraid?!

Trembling with new found feelings, Vegeta closed his eyes. He would not give up. He would defeat Frieza, even if it killed him to do so. Today's events had only fueled a deeper resolve in him.

"Leave me be," he mumbled to Bulma. He was still not able to look at her, for fear she would be giving him one of her pitiful 'sorry' looks.

Bulma stood up and retrieved the towel that had been thrown across the room. She made sure it was ice cold before placing it gently back on Vegeta's forehead.

Vegeta closed his eyes at the contact. If there was ever a time he hated the ningen, it was now. He despised pity. His hearing became more acute with his eyes closed, he could sense her, his mate, leave the room. He drifted off into a restless sleep, with only one thing on his mind.

Revenge.

*****

Bulma closed the door softly behind her as she stepped into the foyer of Vegeta's chambers. She looked up sharply as the main entrance was banged shut. "Bardock!"

Bardock strode forward to Bulma, with Kakarott in tow. His face was set in grim features, giving him the appearance that he had aged even more than before.

Bulma frowned as she looked around, "What is it?" She looked around trying to find Radditz and spoke to Kakarott, "Where is Radditz? Did he return to his home?"

Kakarott looked down at the floor, his jaw twitching as if in mild anger.

Bardock spoke after what seemed like a small eternity, "Bulma.." He found that he couldn't say anything else.

Bulma looked from Bardock to Kakarott and back to Bardock again. The looks on their faces gave more of an impact than words ever could.

She sunk on her knees to the floor and whispered the forbidden word.

"Radditz..."

***************************************************************< /div>

A/N: Sorry that took me so long to get out. It's been a hectic past week, what with different tests and college things going on. Anyway, ff.net also wouldn't let me post a chapter of BOHOE up, can you believe that? But fear not, I'm making it even more perfect and it should be up by Saturday. Thank you for your patience.

Please review, thank you.