Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ What Exactly Is Involved In A Saiyan Mating Ritual? ❯ The Players Reconvene ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N - Hey guys! I just wanted to say big thank you to everyone who has read, and either reviewed, or emailed me about this story. More particularly to Jade, and Saiya-jin44 for their unwavering friendship.

Disclaimer: I bow over in reverence to Akira Toriyama. DBZ and all characters associated with it are his. *Goes off to pout*

Chapter Fifteen

The Players Reconvene

The cool forest was a completely unnatural environment for Kandai to be a part of, but he handled it with agitated modesty. It was written with years of quiet complacency into his character. Much more waiting, however, was probably more than even his mild temperament could handle. He had been so pumped at finally having more of a role to play than that of an interested bystander, that when he had arrived, glad to have a say in something that happened under his guardianship, he had been disappointed to see that things were just the same as always.

He had scorched his ki onto the barren plains of the desert the Saiyan's had nicknamed Fururi-Taenai, impatient to get to his destination, whilst working out all the impressive intricacies of his grand entrance. He was looking forward to watching the tiny creatures bow over in the respect it would enforce, and which he so rightly deserved. His mind and body had been so driven by such an amazing surge of adrenaline that he was bitterly disappointed to have it end with nothing but tedious inaction.

He had arrived on top of the Ko-oni-jin's underground hideaway, enclosed in such a wonderful display of multi-colored energy, that the smirk across his face could have rivalled that of the Saiyan no Ouji himself. Unfortunately, as he landed with so much grace, poise and elegance, he had been faced with the true insignificance of his own bragging. The trees had been almost doubled over by the power of his ki-generated wind, and he had even added a gentle humming sound to increase the mysticism of his arrival, but as soon as he had adopted an authoritative pose, and opened his eyes, he had realized that only the windswept trees, and the occasional passing insect had actually witnessed him in all of his ego-filled grandeur.

Not one single Ko-oni-jin, had been present to witness his arrival, and that unnerved him the most. These forests were literally crawling with their kind, and it made his heart sink. Something was definitely not right. He had tried to use his powers to get a better impression of what was going on, but had never been able to peek into their tiny minds if they didn't want him to. Their mental capabilities were far more advanced than his. They had generations upon generations of knowledge about mind manipulation, and had not (as it was in his case) been merely left with a stack of decrepit, crumbling pages, and instructed (by way of a post it note glued to the top) to 'READ.'

Most guardians were arrogant and conceited beings, with little time and interest in others, and as a result, tuition and instruction, were at the bottom of their "things to do" list. Sighing in exasperation, Kandai watched a flying insect hover innocently over the small yellow petals of a flower. It grew by the side of the waterfall and pool that signified the entrance of the Ko-oni-jin tunnels.

The Saiyans were right. "Watcher" was the only title his kind deserved. He had always imagined himself as a cut above the average guardian. He, at least, made a concerted effort to interact with the species on his world, but lately he had really started to wonder why he even bothered.

Speaking with, and being apart of the Saiyan social structure had never done him much good, or served to push his perception up in their singularly violent minds. Even the limited contact he had had with the Ko-oni-jin, had been received with mixed blessings. When pleased, and happy themselves, he found their company very agreeable, and could almost wish that he had been born to live amongst their ranks, but in moments of trial and anguish, they shut him out, to a degree only a notch above that of the Saiyans. They would hide away as they were now, and block any attempt he made to help them.

Not long after he had first arrived, one of the younger workers had crawled his way up the side of the cliff, and acknowledged his request to see the Elders, but it had been well over three hours since the tiny creature had slinked nimbly back down its vertical surface, face first, to relay the simple request for admittance.

Distractedly his aging hands clasped tighter around the jet-black urn, tucked neatly inside his robes, and sealed by his very arrogant and conceited predecessor. He wasn't even sure if it would work, but without admittance to the Ko-oni-jin tunnels it was his only option. He tried to visualize his very meagre tutorial in spellbinding, but the alchemy of the Kai's had been a passion for him when he was in his early teens, and still learning… he laughed at that term and corrected himself… reading his trade.

Many a time had one of the poor unfortunate 'Lords of the Worlds' been plagued by a very nasty outbreak of hives, thanks to his meddling, and so now, most of the spells were still fairly clear in his mind.

His old fingers pulled the casket out from the protectiveness of his chest, and into the forests afternoon mist. For several minutes he did nothing but gaze at it in wonder. He had never thought that he would have to use it! After all, of course, he was going to be different from the rest of the guardians. He wouldn't have to pry. He would know enough of the creatures under his supervision, not to need to.

He hung his shoulders in defeat. He was no different. All his work had ended in this… being forced to snoop. He didn't like it one little bit, but had no other options. If the Ko-oni-jin blocked him out there was only one way to ascertain what was going on, or more especially, one person… Vegeta.

He swallowed hard under the impression. If the Saiyan were to remember what was about to happen, then he may not escape this with his life, mating ritual or no. He knew how possessive over their thoughts Saiyan royalty could be. They were usually above the average Saiyan in the intellectual stakes, and therefore great thinkers. It was a product of their fighting heritage, that they were supreme strategists. For Vegeta to have his mind invaded, therefore, would probably be the greatest of all insults. He was not a man noted for his compassion, and to be on the receiving end of that temper, was not something that any being in its right mind would want.

This was a quest, however, and quests were dangerous, that's what made this so exciting, and refreshing for Kandai. He grinned at the prospect of pissing Vegeta off. Even if it cost him his life, it would be worth it, just to have the upper hand over him, albeit for a short time. It was payback! How many times had the Saiyan aristocracy caused him grief!

His fingers clasped around the bevelled lid, and twisted it straight off. An explosion of dust flew into the air surrounding him, and made him double up, in a train of uncontrollable sneezes. He bared his teeth, and growled as he looked into the ancient amalgamation in the urn.

Amidst the small vials, and powders laid out neatly around its smooth black base, was a small piece of paper, tied together with red ribbon. Cursing the warped bureaucracy of his training, he untied the scroll, and read.

Mind control alchemy kit. Please read chapter five hundred and forty seven of 'Guardian manual twelve.' Best before Kaiset five 3004. Contains dangerous components, please keep out of reach of small children, and the clinically insane.

"If ever there was cause for a face vault!" he mumbled, "clinically insane huh? Note to self - 'mustn't let the Kai's anywhere near it!'"

Releasing a small amount of ki, the piece of paper fell into ashes, and drifted away on the gentle breeze. He rubbed his temples in frustration. He knew the spell was in there somewhere. He could visualize the yellowed and crumpled page in front of him. Right. He looked down at the assortment of vials, and fished out the small silver pot and spoon needed to mix them.

There were three ingredients in all, but as to what they were, well it was a mystery to him. Magical alchemy was never learnt as cooking, you never quite new what the raw compounds contained, but it was much more in the train of painting, and just as mixing blue and red made purple… blue and red powders made plagues of frogs… or was that frogs with the plague? He rolled his eyes. It was going to be a minor miracle if he got this right!

He could just about remember it now. He hadn't actually used it before, but had stored the information into his brain, as a 'just in case.' He had been certain that it would come in useful for tormenting the Kai's at some point, but had never plucked up the nerve to use it. With minds like that, who would want to peek inside! All he needed was a fifth of a spoon of the green, two of the red, and five of the blue flecked with purple.

Holding the silver spoon at arms length, he gently tipped the necessary ingredients into the receptacle. A cloud of powder spewed up from the tiny pot, ending in a rather pathetic pop… accompanied by a miniscule amount of smoke that snaked its way into the afternoon breeze, and went the same way as the ashes introduced earlier.

Cautiously he tested the pot, just to make sure it wasn't hot, before picking it up, and looking inside.

He smiled.

The once powdered properties were now a neat little pill sitting perfectly on the silver bottom. He picked it up, and held it up to the sun. There was a barely decipherable MC embossed on its pure white surface.

Forgetting pride, his old limbs pushed off the wet soil, and he did a single somersault of celebration, before sitting back down, hoping that no one had seen him. His heart was thumping in his chest again. The adrenaline reaffirmed its hold over his body, and he put the small tablet on the end of his tongue. His face crinkled in disgust. It tasted like… He tried to resist the urge to vomit… he didn't know what it tasted like, but it certainly wasn't ice-cream. The pill just wouldn't go down properly, so diving off the cliff face, he aimed desperately towards the water of the small pond at its base, and gulped down large mouthfuls of the pure liquid.

Crawling out of the pool like a drowned puppy he eventually sat down on the damp rushes surrounding it. The spell was working quickly, and his vision was blurring. His legs crossed, and his brow furrowed in consternation. In a fit of concentration, he managed to catch a hold on the reality he was leaving, whilst losing his vision to the power of the drug he had taken.

******************

The neat lawn of the Capsule Corporation sprawled out in a picturesque variety of greens, contrasting perfectly with the reds, and pinks of well-cultivated roses. Bulma breathed in the gentle sun of early autumn, as she laid back on the garden recliner. The smell of freshly cut grass filled her nose, as she forced down the last remnants of her black cherry and cream pancake. In any other situation she would have felt perfectly at ease, but that was a feeling that she couldn't indulge in at that minute. Her mind was far too consumed with guilt to be perfectly clear. How could she feel any differently?

Vegeta.

He was all she could think about as the seconds passed at a snails pace. It was almost as if she had a connection with his emotions. She could feel an overwhelming anger that could only be associated with him. It flowed in sickening waves through her. He was in trouble. She didn't know why she could sense it, but it definitely wasn't her imagination. On some subconscious level she had felt it for a while now. All the differing emotions that defined him, all the intricacies of a mind forced into early servitude, and suffering… she felt it all, just as though it was her own. Every thought she had was of him.

The swish of the patio doors opening roused her from her turpitude, and was followed by the soft padding of her mother's footsteps. "Bulma!"

She turned at the gentle call of her own name, "Yes mom?"

"Ah! There you are! Well… you father say's that the two hours is almost up, and that he has everything ready for you." Her face was full of quiet agitation, "Bulma… I… Are you sure you want to do this? Your father is very worried, and you know how it makes me feel when he ties himself up in knots like this. This is risky isn't it?"

Bulma smiled and gently took her mother's hand in her own. It trembled slightly in her grip. "Yes mom it's dangerous, but Vegeta is in trouble. I have to do this."

"But surely there's another way! I mean I love Vegeta a lot, you know that, but I don't want you to get hurt."

Hanging her head, Bulma didn't know what to say. It was very rare for her mother to get this distressed about anything, and that it was her causing such feelings in such an open and cheerful heart, was added misery to an already bad situation. She was about to mumble something indistinguishable under her breath in mock conciliation, when an idea started to formulate around her head. "I think I know what will make you and dad feel better about this," she said brightening up, "Not to mention me as well."

She rushed into the house without another word, leaving her mother to tiptoe after her. The clip clop of stilettos on polished wood flooring, echoed through the house, as Mrs. Brief followed her daughter along the long network of corridors, and down to where her husband was readying the scouter.

He turned around to welcome his daughter when she entered, and was rather surprised to see her brush past him, and start to rummage through the draws of her desk. He looked pleadingly at his wife who simply shrugged her shoulders at him. The pair of them watched in silent wonder, as broken pieces of circuit boards, and other electrical artefacts went flying across the room under the hurriedness of her search.

"Ah hah!" she exclaimed righting herself, and proudly holding up a circular device, "Here it is." She passed the instrument to her mother, "Take this to Son-kun's house, and ask him to collect the dragonballs for me."

Mrs. Brief blinked in astonishment.

"Will you feel better if we have them on standby?" asked Bulma looking earnestly into her mothers blue eyes, and feeling hugely relieved, when she saw a confirming nod. "If anything goes wrong… then use them, but only as a last resort ok?"

Her blue hair spun, and she now addressed her father, "Is everything ready dad?"

"Yes! I have even managed to make a slight alteration. We can now communicate with you whilst you're playing. If anything should happen, and for some reason you have to get out, I will be able to let you know." He looked seriously at her, "Are you sure you don't want me to go?"

She smiled and resolutely shook her head, before seating herself very comfortably on the cushioned gurney. Dr. Brief handed her the scouter once she was ready, and kissed her gently on the cheek. "Take care!" he whispered, as she snapped the green visor into pace, securing it to her ear, "Come back to us safely, and bring Vegeta with you."

Receiving an emotion-filled hug from her mother, Bulma frowned in concentration, and let the scouter beep into life. The colors of the room started to blur together, and just before the pain hit she breathed out four words… "I love you both."

****************

Being subjected to the games vice-like grip was a sensation that Bulma knew she would never get used to. The immense spasms of pain worked their way down her whole body, and she tried to block them out, but it just wasn't working. She knew why. This time she was on her own. There was no comforting obsidian stare to help ease the strictures on her, and she clenched her teeth, trying to alleviate the pain of his absence.

The link the computer was trying to forge with her mind hurt so badly! It felt like someone had got a firm grip on every single ligament in her body, and pulled them all at the same time. It was too much, and she couldn't handle it… not without Vegeta there!

When he was by her side she felt as though anything was possible. It was as if she could live off his life energy, but now… now she felt empty. Her mouth opened slightly, as she moaned and writhed under the building pressure. It felt as though her whole body was being ripped apart!

With her mind racing, she tried to grin and bear the pain. It was the only thing she could think of to do. In all their previous attempts, she would always concentrate on his nearness, feeling his presence as the soft balm that would reflect all danger. His deep husky voice, would worm its way around her mind, telling her, reassuring her that everything was going to be ok, and it always calmed her down.

During some of their verbal confrontations, and later, during those precious close encounters, he had referred to the fact that she had power, that it was dangerous, uncontrolled, and that sometimes he could swear that it would leap out at him, but she hadn't believed him. That was until now. She could literally feel the energy leaving her body, as she closed her eyes.

All she saw behind the darkness of her eyelids was his face. She could feel the connection she had with him whenever he was close. She remembered the feel of his arms around her. The persuasive images of his arrogant affection for her, and they swelled into a feeling of contentment which his presence always managed to inspire.

She recalled how he had been barely able to control his lust in her office the day he had finally admitted that he cared, his hands running all over body, feeling their way up her short skirt… the heat of his body, like fire against her bare skin. The need that was expressed in those dark eyes as he looked at her had sent palpitations through her heart that she would never have imagined could be conjured by another living being, but she had been very, very wrong.

Under the belief of his affection, of the façade that he was somehow still there, her breathing calmed. Even though the pain was just as severe as always, her heartbeat slowed, and to a certain degree, she relaxed. Through the oppressiveness of pain, came the guttural feeling of nausea, and Bulma rejoiced at it. She had done it! All on her own! She had managed to get it to work!

The game induced colors, filtered into her vision, and there she stood once again in the towering grandeur of the Saiyan amphitheatre. She had to blink several times before her eyes adjusted to the glaring light. It was so powerful, and burnt against her skin to a degree only just bearable.

The sun drenched stone of the stadium, was completely deserted. Not one living being graced its massive stone structure, as a gust of scorching hot wind blew grit against her bare legs. What a stark contrast it presented, to when she had first entered the game. Standing there nervously with Vegeta standing at her side, accosted by a stadium full of accusing Saiyan stares.

She looked down at her gold tipped, white boots, and her brow furrowed. She knew it was a waste of time trying to trace Vegeta. She still couldn't make head nor tale of the Saiyans electrical energy, so instead she concentrated on finding the Ko-oni-jin. Their liquid power was so clearly impressed against her senses it felt almost too easy. If she knew Vegeta, (and quite frankly she knew him better than most,) then wherever the Ko-oni-jin were, he wouldn't be far behind.

Forcing her mind to work her slender body manipulated her borrowed ki, and pushed itself of the ground. She rose higher and higher, until she floated above the stone battlements, and extinguished torches that outlined its top. The city at its base was completely different to how she had seen it before, at the dead of night. It was now a bustling metropolis of activity. Saiyan's, and space pods littered the air around her, as all the smells associated with a large community drifted up with the hot breeze. It seemed that the urban sprawl here wasn't just restricted to the ground. In the distance, she could see a whole floating market, filled with a barrage of Saiyan voices, all muttering away in a language that she didn't understand. Dodging the surrounding chaos, and occasional Saiyan ogle, she managed to get free of the social hive, and out across the green treetops of the forest.

Every millimetre she covered made their power stick with greater authority into her mind. It wouldn't be long now… she was close, very close. It was odd, but she actually recognized the landscape she was now flying over. It wasn't that anything visual was stimulating her memory, there were no landmarks to see in the thickness of the canopy, but rather she could feel the familiarity in her chest. The clearing that Vegeta had recited his Korosu in, had been passed now, and she started to decrease her energy. She fell as it depleted, and to her astonishment landed with a certain amount of grace on the forest floor.

The squelch under her feet, and smell of rotting vegetation, was actually somewhat of a relief when compared to some of the disgusting smells that had invaded her nose when she was flying over the city. The gentle shade of the trees, and the general coolness of this area were also very welcome.

Taking a step back she took a look around her surroundings, and quietly congratulated her senses. She stood right in front of the towering vertical cliff, where she had first met the Ko-oni-jin. The gentle trickle of water down its sheer face was beautiful when tempered with the song of the birds in the surrounding forest. She walked quietly up to the edge of the pond, only to see Kandai, sitting cross-legged at its rim.

The fabric of his robes was soaking wet, and clung to his thin form, showing how frail he really was. He didn't acknowledge her entrance, which made her a little angry… that was until she noticed that he was caught up in the middle of some sort of deep meditation. She sighed, walked over to him, and gently tapped his shoulder. He didn't respond. She tried again, but he still didn't move.

"Ok," she mumbled, turning to look at her reflection in the water, "What's going on here?"

Her reflection gazed back at her. The eyes were half lidded, and although the majority of her hair was tied neatly up into a ponytail, her short flight there had managed to loosen a few strands. The wind shifted, blowing her reflection out of all perception, and she shivered. Kandai still remained motionless, and so she sat down next to him.

She wasn't quite sure what she was going to do next. Did she swim under the water to the entrance and try to find her way through the maze of tunnels unaided, or did she wait here, hoping that Kandai would snap out of whatever trance he was in the middle of and help her? Unbeknownst to Bulma, however, her mind was about to be made up for her.

The young Ko-oni-jin worker had been watching Kandai for several minutes before she had arrived, his face inches under the surface of the lake. His instructions had been to stall the guardian, but from where he was floating, it looked as though Kandai was stalling himself. The girl, however, was an interesting development. He had received clear directions with regard to her. He saw the Elders frustrated and preoccupied face, and heard afresh the words he had spoken, "Its probably the girl Vegeta was asking after when he got here, go and bring her to me, I have sensed her power, she is no threat to you!"

His orders were clear… if he was to find her, then he was to bring her to the Elder. His smooth green head gently broke through the water, as his blue eyes focused on her. She sat next to the guardian, obviously deep in thought, and completely oblivious to anything that was going on around her. He grinned, exposing his sharp teeth, and made his move.

********************************************************************* < p class="MsoNormal c1">

A/N - Yep… this chapter is a little shorter than usual, but it's been a weird couple of weeks, and I apologise for that. Aren't I a big meany to Vegeta lol? Yet another person sifting through his thoughts… maybe I should rename this 'being Veggie-Chan' *Watches a tumbleweed drift by* ok maybe not.

Do you think Vegeta's going to be pissed when he wakes up…? O.0… you'll just have to keep reading and find out lol. Until next time… go check out my latest project. I have started my very own B/V get together fanmanga. Check it out at mediaminer.org http://www.mediaminer.org/fanart/view.php?id=22969 or at my website http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/ember *huggles and best wishes* ~Ember~