Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ What Exactly Is Involved In A Saiyan Mating Ritual? ❯ A Tail for Two ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer - *yawns* I don't own DBZ

Chapter 23 - A Tail for Two

Goku sat at the large wooden table of the Brief's family kitchen idly running his fingers round a curious configuration of the beach wood grain. Mrs Brief danced with her usual oblivious innocence behind him, still blissfully unaware that things were as yet, still not properly resolved. "Goku dear! You know I love having you here sweetie, but I really think you should go home after breakfast. Chi Chi will be worried and I'm sure she'll want you to be there with her, rather than here with us. I know how anxious I am about Dr Brief when he's lecturing at the university for days on end! Bulma's all better now, there's really no need for you to be here, and besides I don't think Vegeta would let you take care of her even if she weren't. He's been so possessive of her since she recovered that it reminds me of the way my dear husband looks after me when I'm ill, such a sweet young man that Vegeta is!"

Despite the seriousness of the communication he had yet to tell, Goku still couldn't miss the fact that Mrs Brief had used the word 'sweet' in association with 'Vegeta' and let out a mental chuckle at it. "You're right, but I just need to speak with Vegeta first."

"Then get it over with." Growled a voice from the corner.

"Vegeta!" cooed Mrs Brief, before he had walked two steps inside the door, "I'm making breakfast would you like some? It's you favourite dear, the full English, I even went to that cute little butchers on Valley grove, because they are the only place in Western Capital City that still sell black pudding."

"Very well," were the only words that passed his lips.

Goku sat in momentary astonishment as the tones could almost… almost be described as civil. His thoughts were cut short though as the padding of bare feet on tiles turned his attention once again to the door. "Bulma!" he said getting up and walking over to his best friend giving her the slightest of hugs. Even though a day had passed since Vegeta had informed them that Bulma was better, he had not been permitted to see for himself, "Its good to see you looking well, ya know you had us all worried for a while!"

The largest of grins spread over her features, and her eyes shone in the warm morning light, as she enjoyed the affectionate hug from her best friend, "What a crock of shit!" she said playfully punching him on the arm and ignoring the reprimand from her mother about swearing to guests, "The only thing you Saiyan's worry about is where your next meal is coming from… Speaking of which, something smells good!"

Laughing as she went, she walked over to her mother to see what was cooking. Goku turned, only to be faced with two dark orbs fixed in his direction, the lines of Vegeta's face hardening as he glared death at his closest rival. Deciding it was better not to pay any attention to the threat, he turned back to sit at the table, as plates of hot food were piled onto its polished surface.

It took several minutes before Vegeta's stare relented a little, and he took his place at the table. Carefully Goku watched his movements and silently triumphed at how the older warriors eyes would occasionally leave the food to steal a quick glance at Bulma. To anyone else, even the object, it would have gone unnoticed they were so fleeting, but they were there, and as weird as the pairing had seemed when Mirai Trunks had told him, Goku could now see how right it was.

Once breakfast was over (which in truth was no more than a couple of minutes in Vegeta and Goku's case) Goku found himself again arrested by Vegeta's glare, "Your presence is unnecessary Kakarrot - If you have something to say then say it and leave."

"Gee's thanks for the hospitality," he groaned sarcastically, "but I'm not staying here just to get in your way. I have something important to tell you both. Last night Kami spoke with me telepathically." Goku's face morphed from its usual calmness into something much more serious, "He told me that he needs to speak with you and Bulma about something at the look out. I have no idea what."

Goku didn't like having to lie, but Kami had stressed the importance of keeping his involvement in any of this as distant as possible. Any outside interference that wasn't absolutely necessary could completely unbalance the timeline, and have disastrous consequences for all of them. He was forced to relent, that as much as it went against his character, there was no way he could take the risk of letting them know his interest in their relationship.

In a rare moment of incite Goku had said that perhaps Kami had overlooked his own involvement in it, surely if he should distance himself from the matter so should Kami. The aging guardian hadn't taken offence to the question and had merely stated that it was his job to ensure the safety of the Earth, and that without his help Trunks would never be conceived, and the Saiyan, human hybrid still had an important role to play in the future of Chikyu.

"Why would that decrepit old Namek want to speak with us?" asked Vegeta, breaking Goku's chain of thought.

"I don't know." Goku gritted his teeth under the lie.

"Well regardless, I have no time to waste on his absurdities, I've missed enough training as it is. Tell the old goat to come and see me if it is that important, but the Saiyan no Ouji does not go traipsing around after weak Namekians."

"Vegeta stop being an ass," Bulma shot in, "Of course we'll go! He might be weak compared to your high and mighty Saiyan ego, but he is still the guardian of this planet, he wouldn't ask us if it wasn't important, and I'm not going to go against his wishes."

"Do as you wish Onna." Snarled Vegeta, folding his napkin and getting up to leave, "I've had enough of guardians for one life time. I'm going to train."

"Oh is that a fact monkey boy, where exactly?"

"In the gravity room… where else?"

"Even though you melted the internal computer?"

"Shit!" he swore under his breath.

"So now you have no reason not to go, do you? It'll be a while before it's running properly again."

"I could think of other ways of spending my time until it is fixed." He countered, looking as if the statement was of no moment, but keeping his eyes resolutely fixed on Bulma.

Her cheeks crimsoned ever so slightly, but she masked it well to continue with, "Which is just extra inducement for you to go."

Vegeta didn't reply only raised a single eyebrow.

"The sooner we get it over with, the sooner…"

"Fine!" he snapped before she even had a chance to finish the sentence. "But it had better be damned important."

Bulma smiled at her success, and even Goku couldn't hide the grin on his face at seeing how easily Bulma had manipulated him. The moment was only short-lived though, and the feeling changed to an edginess of his own position, so not wanting to give more away Goku stood up to leave. "Your mom is right Bulma. I've spent too much time away from home. I'll leave you in peace. Don't be a stranger though ok. I will see you at Master Roshi's island for the Z senshi barbecue next week, and you too Vegeta."

Vegeta grunted and mumbled something along the lines of, "As if!" but Bulma assured him that she at least would be there. I hope so Bulma, he thought with a hint of sadness, as he took one last look at his long-time friend, before putting two fingers to his forehead and disappearing.

*****************

Bulma looked at her friend go with a mixture of sadness and curiosity. The parting look he had given her was so strange, it was almost serious and meaningful, and that was creepy in itself. The only time Goku looked like that was when trouble was on the horizon, and she couldn't help but mentally shudder under the feeling. She was sure he hadn't let on all he knew.

"Snap out of it onna!"

Vegeta's voice broke inelegantly onto her hearing, but even though there was a flash of anger at the way he demanded her attention, she calmed it. How could she be angry with him after the way she had spent her recovery? She felt the blood burning her cheeks red even as she thought about it. She remembered Vegeta's words when they had first started the game, "…the sex will definitely be worth it." Talk about the understatement of the century! Combined with the energy that they shared he had managed to bring her whole body screaming to heights of passion that she would have been unable to believe were true if related to her second hand. It shouldn't be possible to experience so much fulfilment from one man. Her man.

"Onna!"

"Sorry Vegeta."

He grunted slightly at her apology, but cautiously closed the gap between them nonetheless. "Lets get this over with." He growled.

Bulma nodded, "I'll just get my hover car capsule."

"Not a chance." He replied, catching hold of her arm, "I want this over with as quickly as possible and there is no way I am losing time by having to wait for that contraption of yours. I'd like to be back before the Androids arrive!"

Bulma felt an inevitable anger overtake her, "I'll have you know that that 'contraption' as you call it, is the fastest model of its kind on the market. I designed it myself! It would give the militaries most advanced fighter jets a run for their money!"

"Precisely." He sneered, "If you want true speed, then there is only one way to travel." He smirked, making all the handsome angles of his face glow with pride, "First class and Saiyan no Ouji style."

Before her mind could catch up to his meaning, Bulma felt her legs swept clear off the floor and a rush of ki pour over her body. Strong arms held her securely and Vegeta walked calmly out of the kitchen door, before blasting into the chilled morning air.

Yelping slightly and covering her eyes against the bombardment as strong air currents thundered across her face, Bulma somehow managed to find the correct string of curses to throw at Vegeta, as they cleared the outskirts of Western Capital City in little more than a heartbeat. To be honest she wasn't as angry as she portrayed. Anything that resulted in having him holding onto her so intently was definitely worth it. His body was pressed along her back as one of his gloved hands held her hips firmly against his, the other arm coiling securely around her chest, streamlining them both as she flew underneath him.

The speed he managed to pick up was incredible and the adrenaline overtook every good swear word she could think of, as her body relaxed into the feeling and let her embrace the exhilaration of flying with her prince, especially when it was augmented on occasion, by him nipping playfully at her neck.

It wasn't long before the terrain surrounding them became strangely familiar, despite its desolate monotony, and Vegeta switched momentum to flying vertically rather than horizontally. The pure white carvings of Korin tower glinted eerily in the morning sunshine as they flew parallel to it. Their speed decreased slightly and Bulma just about managed to wave a hello to the wise cat who had felt their energy and walked out to get a glimpse of the couple that were so vital to securing the earths future.

"Pathetic." Came the admonishment from Vegeta's lips at Bulma's familiarity with the creature.

"Dammit Vegeta, do you really have to be so disgusted with all my friends?"

"If you chose better company then I wouldn't have to be." He countered flawlessly, as they reached the top of the tower and touched down on the beautifully presented surface of Kami's lookout.

As soon as Bulma found her feet Vegeta moved to an uninterested distance, making sure that he wasn't close enough to the earth woman to cause suspicion of their true situation. Bulma confessed herself a little disappointed, but had expected that his pride would not be comfortable with anything less.

Sighing she looked expectantly around, trying to get her bearings, and find the form of her God somewhere amongst the elaborate pillars. Cautiously she walked further onto the platform to search for signs of life.

"What a waste of time," scowled Vegeta behind her, "The least he could do was meet us after so rudely demanding our presence and through Kakarrot no less. What an insult. Why did he not just speak to me telepathically instead?"

"You were rather busy." Sounded a voice from the throne room as the aging guardian finally made his presence known, "I did not wish to intrude."

Bulma blushed the darkest shade of red, as she looked to Vegeta only to see his scowl set even more dangerously than usual as he bared his teeth and growled at the approaching figure.

"Finally! I was beginning to think I would have to destroy the whole platform to flush your pathetic ass out into the open." Bulma could feel the tension pouring off Vegeta, "Now speak up old man, why do you have the audacity to so unceremoniously command the Saiyan no Ouji's presence?"

"I only summoned you because I thought I could be of help to you and your mate."

Bulma giggled slightly at the way Vegeta flinched at the word mate. "Don't look so surprised Vegeta," she chuckled, "He is guardian, of course he knows we're mated." Not minding the warning look Vegeta threw in her direction she continued, "What exactly do we need help with?"

Kami smiled benevolently at her, "I am afraid that things are not quite as they appear. The energy you share has healed you well Bulma, but it is still not stable. It will never be until the full mating ritual is completed."

"Nonsense!" interrupted Vegeta, "Look at her!" there was a hint of pride in his voice, "Physically she is superior to any other female on this planet, now she shares my energy."

"Yes," Kami agreed, "for now, but it will not last for so long if the energy is not properly sanctioned. Slowly the power will degrade, consuming her life energy, until it is exhausted completely. Without my help she will die. It might take a few weeks, or even months, but it will happen."

Bulma looked at the old man in astonishment, she wasn't entirely sure how she felt at that minute. Her whole body felt drained. She couldn't abuse his integrity as Vegeta was doing right now, she knew he was under oath. He would not lie about something like this. She was dying. She looked shakily up only to see Vegeta powering up, a vein thumping on his forehead and looking more and more likely to tear Kami limb from limb, as he swore obscenities at the old mans face.

Anger swamped any feelings of self pity, and nerves that had been shot to pieces over the passed few days, finally snapped altogether, her control breaking along with it. "Vegeta! For once in your life would you shut the fuck up!" she yelled, shaking violently. "Kami cannot lie. If he says that I'm dy…" her voice faltered, "Dying, then he speaks the truth."

Vegeta was speechless. Never had he seen the look of determination that dominated her features so resolutely applied.

Calming down a fraction, Bulma turned to Kami, "How can you help?" She asked in a scarily emotionless voice.

"Personally I cannot," he said lowering his head, "I do not have the knowledge to perform such a rite."

"Then why bring us here?" Vegeta demanded.

"Because," stated Kami gently, "I have found someone who can."

For a second time Vegeta was rendered silent, but his mouth clenched into a thin line as he waited for the mystery to be revealed.

Bulma was the first to find her voice, "Who?" she asked incredulous.

"Me." Came an all too familiar duo-tone voice, from the throne room that Kami had recently exited.

Bulma's mouth dropped a full foot as she took in the figure walking calmly out towards them, and she cast an astonished glance back at Vegeta, who seemed to be staring back at her with equal wonder.

"What's the matter Ouji," continued the newcomer, "You look like you have seen a ghost. It's a long time warrior, you have grown into a man since we last met."

"Kandai!" gasped Bulma, thinking that her eyes had deceived her. Perhaps the energy was already affecting her brain, causing her to prematurely tumble into dementia.

"It's not possible!" exclaimed Vegeta, "You should have died when Vegeta-sei was destroyed.

"I did," the old man replied, extricating a withered hand and pointing to the halo that had gone unnoticed before.

Kami walked gracefully forward, thinking that it was high time for explanations. "Kandai has been granted four hours to walk on this planet to complete the ritual you started in the Link." He looked to Vegeta, "Your importance in the upcoming battle with the androids cannot be over stressed Prince Vegeta. It was not hard then to persuade the Kai's to allow him the time needed. If the truth be told then they were frightened if you lost your mate your mental state would become unstable, causing a possibility that the Earth would just as likely be destroyed by your own hands as those of the androids."

Vegeta chuckled dryly, "It was wise of them to be concerned, but they are still not secure. Perhaps I will destroy it yet, mate or no. I have not made up my mind"

Bulma flinched at his words, but didn't believe them for a second. It was obvious that Vegeta was on a power trip over the Kai's fear, and was saying them purely for dominance over a situation that was so clearly out of his hands.

"Perhaps you will," was Kami's stoic reply, "but its better not to shoot ourselves in the foot too soon."

Kandai had in the meantime walked up to Bulma, looking over her form with obvious curiosity, "I presume you are the soon to be royal mate?" he questioned.

Bulma was about to throw back that of course she was, until she realized that she had never met the real Kandai before. She nodded mutely and smiled nervously at him. "It's a pleasure to meet you in person Kandai," she said bowing in respect.

The guardian of Vegeta-sei smiled in return and took her hand, "You have taken on a handful there," he whispered tilting his head towards Vegeta.

She giggled despite herself, "Ain't that the truth!"

"Rubbish onna," interjected Vegeta, "more than likely it is the other way around."

Bulma smiled, "Aw come now Vegeta, you wouldn't have it any other way." She winked playfully at him, wanting to defuse the tension surrounding them.

Vegeta growled and snapped his head around to look at anything that might give him distraction from the fact that she was one hundred percent right. He might have admitted it to her if they were alone, but there was no way he was going to touch the subject in front of an audience.

A silence seemed to fall over them all, none of them knowing what was to be said. Vegeta was the one who at length brought it to a close. "Well if you only have four hours spirit then hadn't you better get it over and done with."

Kandai snapped out of the vision of blue his eyes had become mysteriously bound to, "You are right Ouji. How far did you get in the ritual?"

"The first two parts, we have only the tail union to complete, but you have wasted a trip, it is impossible."

"How so?" blinked Kandai.

Vegeta silently cursed the universe. He was surrounded by complete morons! "Because baka, neither I nor my mate have a tail, or are you blind as well as senile?"

"Oh… Well I can see how that would be a problem." He stuttered.

The silence returned.

"Wait!" cried Bulma, realization clearing the weight that had momentarily fell upon her shoulders, "Its not impossible at all!"

The others stared at her as though she had gone insane - a fact that was given some weight as she started laughing maniacally.

"Don't look at me like that!" she shouted, "Trust me to be the only one with a level head. I'm such a genius!" she simmered, "We can use the dragonballs! They are all collected at Capsule Corp. We'll just go back there and wish for us to have a Saiyan tail for the day. The Dragon can do that right… right?"

Kami lowered his head, trying to think if it would be possible, "I am not sure," he replied, "The wish would work for Vegeta because he is Saiyan, but the dragons power cannot exceed that of its creator, it couldn't possibly change your species Bulma."

"I'm not so sure Kami." All eyes turned to Kandai, "My senses tell me that this Chikyu-jin already has the sacred power of the Saiyan's running through her body. In essence, she is part Saiyan, although it is very dilute. It could work."

"Is that possible?" asked Bulma, looking to Kami.

"I'm still not sure. Ordinarily I would have said no, but now I am not sure. As Kandai so rightly said, you have limited Saiyan energy woven into your blood now, it is entirely plausible that the dragon can create a tail for you because of this."

"Well either way we are wasting time," growled Vegeta, "We will never know if we do not ask." Saying as much he picked Bulma gently up and walked to the edge of the platform. "Are you two baka's coming?" he said glancing over his shoulder at both guardians.

"Kandai will of course accompany you, but I cannot leave my lookout right now. I wish you luck Bulma, Prince Vegeta. Chikyu needs you both."

Bulma smiled, "Thank you Kami!" she shouted above Vegeta's ki, "Catch ya later."

***********************

Clouds tumbled eerily away, rolling and being engulfed by the darkness that was as daunting as it was beautiful. A bright white light, scolded the vision, as small electrical charges flew from the ground where the dragonballs lay. At length the brightness faded slightly, snaking up though the sky with elegant ease. Through the light Vegeta's eyes sharpened and he could just make out the jagged outline of scales imprisoned within the light before everything went quiet and Shenlong appeared in all his magnificence.

Even the Saiyan no Ouji stood in awe of this incredible creature. It really was something else. Then it came the thundering growl that boomed across the scenery and caused the buildings of the Capsule Corporation to shake.

The mystical dragons eyes sharpened slightly, "What is you wish, you can ask for anything you want, but you can only have one wish."

Vegeta couldn't help the feeling of pride that swelled in his chest when he saw Bulma walk determinedly forward, as though summoning the creature were an every day occurrence.

"Oh great Shenlong," she started, her voice drifting melodically onto the breeze, "I wish for myself and Vegeta to have a Saiyan tail for the day."

There was an ethereal silence that fell around them all, and for a moment Vegeta entertained the thought of throwing a ki ball at the creature to check if it had fallen asleep. Just as he was about to ready the energy, the creatures eyes flashed a brighter shade of red and he felt a strange tingling sensation dancing its way down his spine.

Again the voice of the dragon swamped the scene. "Your wish has been granted. Fare the well."

With no more warning the air literally exploded around them as the dragon disappeared and the mythological orbs turned to stone. They hovered briefly above the city before flying apart in the image of seven shooting stars to their new location.

With heightened curiosity Vegeta turned to his mate. His lips curled into a first rate smirk as he looked at the tail she now adorned. Not twenty-four hours ago he had believed this day would never come, and he felt true excitement at the thought of finishing the ceremony and getting the chance to participate in something that he had despaired at. At last he would get to experience the pinnacle of his races mated bliss. Once again the true power of an energy-induced bond would be realized through the completion of a tail union.

************************

A/N - So sorry it took so long to get this chapter out, but I have been busy with my Halloween fic, and haven't had five minutes for this until now. I hope it was worth the wait. Please review and let me know what you think.

*huggles*

Ember