Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ What Exactly Is Involved In A Saiyan Mating Ritual? ❯ Reminiscences ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: DBZ belongs to Akira Toriyama. I on the other hand only own my thoughts.

Chapter 24 - Reminiscences

Bulma looked sheepishly through aquamarine bangs over the balcony and down to where Vegeta and Kandai stood in the mid afternoon sunshine. She felt slightly disgruntled at the distance they chose to talk at. It almost made her feel left out as they whispered to each other as though discussing a topic that was too important for her to participate in. Her future was entirely in their hands and here they were not even letting her participate in a conversation that would inevitably change her life.

Whatever it was they talked about she at least relented that her position above it was probably the best place to be. It didn't seem to be a very safe option to share company with the Saiyan no Ouji at that minute. There was an air of arrogance, which would always lend direction to his posture, and it surrounded his body as the sun beat against his skin, but now a nervous energy joined with it. He would occasionally snap his head around to demand a question of the guardian, seeming to revel in the mixture of fear and awe Kandai portrayed for him, even though he was obviously answering with a certain degree of patience and politeness.

The scene might not have been so interesting if it had lacked the firework accompaniment of energy as it manifested itself in relation to Vegeta's temper and sparked intermittently around his chest in conjunction with his speech, but as it stood, the simple performance had her absolutely mesmerized.

"Bulma sweetie?"

"Yes mom?" Bulma surprised herself with her own voice; she had almost forgotten she was not alone. Her mother's chatter had at some point morphed from cheerfully reassuring into oblivious background noise to line her daydreams with.

"Why Bulma… I thought the wind had changed directions and you were stuck that way forever. You looked absolutely lost! But we have important matters to discuss."

Bulma's gaze never faltered for a second.

"What?" she asked with minimal concern as to the answer.

"What do you mean 'what?' when I'm face with such a dilemma!" she chided gently."

"I'm sorry mom, how can I help?"

"I need your opinion… do you think Mr. Kandai would prefer the cupcakes or the éclairs with his lunch?"

She sighed, ashamed at herself for expecting more, "I'm sure he'll love either mom, seeing as he's been dead for twenty years. According to Son-kun the food isn't up to much in other world."

Vegeta stopped pacing, his brow furrowed, pinched in concentration and dipped occasionally as Kandai spoke.

"I suppose you're right my dear. You have such interesting friends Bulma, is Kandai a Saiyan too?"

"To tell you the truth. I have no idea. He has the authority and air of a Saiyan, but…" she paused as she tried to find the right words, "his build and temperament don't fit."

The guardian now bent down to furrow an elderly hand through the lush grass of the Capsule Corporation gardens, his head raising slightly up at Vegeta. There they stayed staring each other out until at length Vegeta defiantly shook his head, and Kandai's shoulders sagged.

"Isn't it all exciting! Never a dull moment here at the Briefs house! Now what do you think… the blue or the red napkin? Kami used the red last time he was here and he's a guardian, but if Kandai's a Saiyan then blue would seem more fitting."

"Whichever you think best mom." Was Bulma's only reply, quite frankly she didn't care and her answers were on auto pilot in annoyance at not being able to eaves drop on the conversation below.

At last the two guests seemed to come to a mutual halt in their annoyance, and Bulma just managed to hear the clipped words of, "As you instruct Spirit." Floating on the calm breeze up to her position, as Vegeta turned on his heal and stalked predatorily into the house.

Kandai continued on the lawn and simply raised his arms up to the heavens in a gesture of disparaging acquiescence. Bulma giggled, feeling strangely relaxed despite the seriousness of her condition. Dejection wasn't a concept her character would allude to and so she continued to revel in the deliciously mild weather the autumn sunshine created.

She was so caught up in the scene that she didn't notice that the object of her mother's mindless banter had changed direction. Her consciousness to things around her only returned when she heard a name that it was impossible for her to ignore, "Vegeta."

She turned with speed as from the look he had plastered over his face when he retreated she had expected him to sulk around in a temper for several minutes before reappearing into company. The movement of spinning, to let her eyes catch a glimpse of confirmation that her prince had entered the room, didn't go as well as could have been hoped. The loud crash of breaking ceramics made her look to the left and then blush in embarrassment. "I'm so sorry mom. I completely forgot!"

Vegeta seemed to find the incident particularly amusing and threw his head back in derision. The laugh pounded sarcastically through his chest, making Bulma blush twice as hard as before. "Oh will you shut it!" she snapped. "You're used to it, but it's still new to me!"

"Really?" he asked, his tone condescending as he raised his hands in visual mockery, "I wouldn't say you're a novice. Twenty-nine years seems to have been enough to perfect the art of clumsiness for you."

"As have thirty for you to master the art of arrogance, conceit, contempt, and whatever other selfish bullshit you aspire too?"

"Thank you… The training was brutal, but the rewards it reaps are endless."

Bulma rolled her eyes, "The proud Saiyan no Ouji - conqueror of planets, merciless killer of millions and master at the art of bullshit!"

"Bulma!" chided her mother, "Remember that Vegeta is a guest!"

"Yes" he smirked, "You have to be nice to me, but I can see how it would be difficult for someone who can't even use such a rudimentary appendage as a tail, to be up to scratch on her manners."

"And what the fuck would you know about manners!"

"Bulma!" Mrs. Brief interjected, "Language!"

"Yes, it's what I use to swear at him with!" she retorted hotly, as her anger swelled.

Vegeta on the other hand just laughed more, "I'll have to remember that one."

"Oh don't tell me you've run out of insults?"

"On the contrary I'm just saving them for a more worthy object." His teeth glinted under the smirk that animated his whole face, "Now I trust you haven't forgotten that we have a ritual to complete?"

"Its not something I'm likely to forget!" Bulma sighed, rubbing a hand across her forehead to try and tame her temper. "What do we do first?"

"First we eat." He said eying the pastries.

"And after?"

"And after," he continued, his hand dancing over the plate, "we leave."

"Leave?"

"Yes, the conditions here are not suitable. The ground is too moist."

"What's that got to do with the price of fish?" Bulma grabbed for a cherry tartlet and nibbled at the edges.

"What the…? It has absolutely nothing to do with fish, which conversation are you listening to?"

"Precisely." The word was almost indistinguishable through the food. "It's a human expression Vegeta, but if you want me to baby it for you then I can."

Vegeta rasped out a warning growl.

"Don't get your spandex in a wedge! I was only trying to find out why the damp would affect a tail union?"

"The power Kandai uses is different to normal ki. It's taken directly from the planet rather than from his being and has a more basic electrical element to it. Where as moisture does not affect my power it will his. The difference would be infinitesimal to myself, but we will have to go to one of the desert plains of this world to avoid injuring you, unless you want to be electrocuted that is."

Vegeta grabbed a handful of éclairs and shovelled them into his mouth.

"Why the desert? Hanger three is empty, its not as if it's damp in there, there's plenty of space as well."

"Indoors?" Vegeta's nose wrinkled in disgust, "Even if the building could withstand the energy I would not dishonour Saiyan culture and steal away as though we have something to hide from the universe."

"It is traditional for the ritual to be performed outside."

Bulma smiled as she saw Kandai standing at the doorway, his cloak removed from over his head for the first time since they had met during either encounter. She noted with curiosity the strange tattoo-like markings that ran up the back of his neck and the pale blue tint that highlighted his skin.

"Vegeta and I have both agreed that the deserts here on Chikyu will be the closest match to Vegeta-sei's climate."

Bulma relented, to be honest the thought of an exotic location was much more stimulating than a metal hanger any day of the week, "I see the choice has already been made for me. So much for being in control of my own destiny!"

"Every decision has your best interests at heart my dear." Kandai smiled.

Her mothers words sprung to her senses and Bulma's curiosity couldn't be sated, "You're not Saiyan are you?" she said, pointing to the markings.

"I am, and yet I am not." He replied enigmatically, "I am half Saiyan."

Bulma heard Vegeta take a sharp intake of breath.

Kandai chuckled, "There's no reason for you to be so surprised Vegeta. My mother was a third class warrior in the palace royal guard. My father was valet to a visiting dignitary. I know little of him as I was raised on Vegeta-sei, only that his species was Alorian."

"I guess that would explain your extended lifespan." Mused Vegeta.

"And my rise to guardianship of your planet as well," he smiled benevolently, "You see I was destined to become a warrior and succeed my mother's position as a palace guard, but my desire for battle was as diluted as my blood. Plus there was a certain apathy to my character that didn't enjoy the hunt. I never completed my Korosu and therefore was never destined to find a mate. With my future uncertain, the only other honourable option for my mother was to find alternative employment for me. The only profession she had interest in was that of a healer. Believe it or not I actually attained my first apprenticeship from your great, great grandfather Vegeta."

"I have no reason to doubt your word Spirit." Was Vegeta's curt but respectful answer.

Kandai bowed slightly in return, "It was mere chance that recommended him to me, and as it appeared I had abilities that are not inherent to the Saiyan populous it was agreed that part of my training would be under the supervision of the previous guardian. At the time I thought it was a waste of energy especially as all I was gifted with was a bundle of decaying books and told to read, but it was enough for the Kai's to seek me out when my predecessor's health was ailing, and ask me to take on the role when he passed on."

"That's fascinating," breathed Bulma, totally caught in the recitation.

"I was raised to believe you were an entity from other world," Vegeta interrupted, "You are pathetic. Trying to hide your heritage."

"I never hid anything. Saiyans assume too much. Our species rely on fables of the past, clinging to the honour of their respective families. They live in it, as do you. There was a time that guardian's were 'spirits' as you call them, but that time passed. Most planets preferred elected members. Some dissolved the deity structure altogether and chose to live without one."

Vegeta grunted as the thoughts it conjured in his mind played briefly across his strong features. They cleared as suddenly as they appeared though, and his back stiffened as his scowl returned. "As much as I love listening to your life story…" he drawled, his voice was thick with sarcasm, "…our time is limited. We have already wasted an hour. That only leaves us with three."

He pushed away from the wall he was leaning against wiping the corners of his mouth with a blue napkin, ready to leave. "Are you coming?" he called over his shoulder.

"But you can't leave yet!" wailed Mrs Brief, "Mr Kandai hasn't had anything to eat. Where are your manners? We can't let our guest starve!"

"Mom's right. Kandai is doing this as a favour to us. Let him have some food first."

"There's no time." Vegeta's eyes skimmed over Bulma's body. "You will have to change." His hand reached out and pulled the hem of her red jumper, "This attire is inappropriate for a desert climate, and a tail union. Find something that will not inhibit either your movement or your tail."

Bulma sighed in exasperation. She had seen that look on Vegeta's face so often. She could tell he wanted her to question him about the tail union, and although he was right, she would not give him the satisfaction of ignoring her. She would find out in due time. "OK, I'll quickly get changed, and mom can be getting a doggy bag ready for Kandai, so he can eat on the move."

**********************

Twenty minutes later Bulma was dressed in her dark red aerobics shorts and crop top and was being flown along over the small wooden houses of a remote farming village in Vegeta's arms. She had hastily cut a hole out of the shorts with a pair of her mothers pinking sheers, allowing her tail free range. It was now coiled delightfully around Vegeta's waist, the end flicking up and down in content. She smiled to herself as the motion extracted a growl in her flying buddy. Whether this noise was in irritation or pleasure was hard to tell, but either way it was a treat to get the diversion from his usual seriousness.

"How long before we get there?" she asked nervously looking at her watch, "Will there still be enough time?"

"There will be plenty of time Bulma. There is no need to worry. My involvement might be necessary, but it is minimal. Vegeta and yourself will be doing all the work." Reassured Kandai as he flew parallel to them.

Vegeta chuckled, "You can stay for the show if you want Spirit! You may learn something."

The guardian's cheeks pinked with embarrassment, "I don't think so." He replied, his confusion only making Vegeta laughter louder.

"I think it is time to let you know what will happen." Commented Kandai, wanting to turn the attention away from his burning face. He looked to Vegeta to see if he agreed.

Vegeta dropped his head into the slightest of nods, before shifting his weight in the air and dropping gently to the dried ground.

"My Kami that was quick!" exclaimed Bulma, feeling the oppressive heat burning at her skin and the sand his ki had disturbed whip angrily at her bare legs.

"Of course." He clipped, folding his arms arrogantly over his chest and regally straightening his back.

They stood at the edge of a large precipice. Mountains of sandstone surrounded them carved out of the scenery by millions of years of wind erosion. The air was hot but not oppressively so. The mixtures of yellow sand and rock were only sporadically broken by the hint of wiry green desert plants.

Kandai joined them shortly after they landed and walked towards Bulma, putting his hands gently on her shoulders. "The tail union is a sacred affair, only performed for the privilege of Saiyan royalty. As may be imagined I have not the time to attend to those of a lesser standing in society. In their case the ritual is presided over by a local dignitary or even a Saiyan elite, who of course does not posses the knowledge to control an energy sharing of this magnitude. This will be a variation of the usual ritual for two reasons. You already have a portion of Vegeta's power so that aspect is void, and the second is that the power I use will have to be carefully controlled because of your lack of physical strength. I confess that it will be a challenge for me to gage it correctly."

Bulma felt a new wave of nervousness flood her as both Kandai and Vegeta looked at her intently as though they expected something from her. "What?" she asked, backing slightly away.

"Turn around." Barked Vegeta none too gently.

"Why?"

"It's OK my child," Kandai's voice was comforting when compared with Vegeta's, "I just need to assess your power through two pressure points on your spine."

Vegeta snorted his anger as she complied to Kandai's words and not his own.

The Guardian placed his skeletal hands along the dip of her back, one just above the tail and the other between her shoulder blades. His eyes fluttered closed as he felt out her power. Words were whispered in a native tongue that was at once eerie and beautiful.

Bulma could feel the rush of energy now. It started at the feet, tingling up her claves as though she had been sitting on for them for too long. Then it stopped and the ease with which it had traversed her body before, was put to the side as the raw power burst from her, pushing out against the unstable ground, causing fissures to form under her feet, exploding their way through the canyon.

Kandai's voice was raised with the power. It almost sounded as though he was performing a evangelical cleansing as great slabs of rock spit from the cliff they were standing on and slipped clumsily to the ground, the sound of stone grinding against stone being echoed and amplified as it rebounded.

Her head naturally fell back and she screamed until she thought her lungs would explode. There was a degree of pain that the stresses being exerted on her body wound into the fringe of her mind, but the cry was more primal than it was painful.

With cape and robes billowing in frantic rhythm around him, Kandai turned to Vegeta, his eyes glazed as the power jumped around their hollow depths. "How much energy did you give her?" His voice was only a pitch below anger.

"I do not fully remember!" he shouted through the maelstrom, the concern very evident in it. "Can you control it?"

"Just barely!" the sweat poured from his face under the effort. "I need your help Vegeta! Stand in front of her and wrap your ki around her. I cannot tame it if it spreads any further or assure you of her safety if it should."

"Understood!" he rasped, using all his speed to get close to Bulma. "Now what?" he asked, "How do I smother the power?"

"You need to be close, and manipulate your power as you would to deflect a ki blast, only keeping the barrier the opposite way around. You need to keep the ki in rather than out."

"Like this?" he grunted as his arms snaked around Bulma's waist, his blue energy encompassing all three of them.

Kandai nodded as Bulma slumped in Vegeta's hold, her tears flowing over his shoulders.

"Its so painful and yet so breathtakingly wonderful!" she sobbed into his arms; the power receded as she spoke. "Vegeta! What's happening to me?"

"Hush," he commanded, whilst laying a gentle kiss on the top of her head, "It will be over soon enough. Kandai is taming the energy I gave you. Breathe through it. You are being cured. You have to be strong. Be strong for me Bulma."

Bulma nodded as the last string of energy exploded from her. It felt like it was going to tear her body apart and her jaw clamped together, ignorant to the fact that she bit down onto Vegeta's shoulder, and that under the pain he was stifling a cry of his own.

The wind of ki-induced energy relented and at once all three of them collapsed as the powerful embrace left them.

As may be expected, Vegeta was the first to recover. He lightly shook his head to try and rid it of the sand that had been blown over him. Brushing his full-length bodysuit he tentatively found his feet, and pulled Bulma up with him. Dusting her down and searching for some reassurance that she was uninjured.

His eyes clouded a fraction in anger as he saw a few minor lesions that were seeping blood and clotting around the sand on her back. "Kandai!" he rasped, the anger boiling through him.

"I'm fine." The guardian replied, shakily getting to his feet.

"Does this look like a face of concern?" he snarled, "You marked her!"

"Oh no!" he cried, rushing to her side, the concern on his face, palliating a little of Vegeta's anger, "Is it bad?"

"You are fortunate Spirit. Her injuries are minor."

At this point Bulma's head moved and she groaned slightly as her eyes fluttered open. Her face was once again in the crook of Vegeta's neck and she turned to see two very worried faces.

Kandai took a step back and gasped. The blood coated her entire left cheek. All he could see was the crimson liquid dipping from her face, "What have I done!" he paled.

"Saved her life." Vegeta calmly replied, with a slight smirk, "Do not be concerned Kandai; the blood is mine." To emphasize the point he turned and licked the side of her face to reveal that there was no cut there worthy of so much gore.

Bulma scrunched her nose up in disgust, "Ewww! That was disgusting!"

Vegeta just gave her an apathetic look and licked the other cheek even though it was clean.

"Vegeta that's gross! Cut it out!"

"But you taste so good," he admonished, in a whisper.

Bulma giggled, squirming in his hold as his tongue sunk lower, tickling her as it traced along her jaw.

Kandai cleared his throat. "If you two are quite finished!"

Vegeta growled at the interruption, but stopped his play. "Are you able to continue?" he asked looking at Bulma.

"I think so." She answered shakily, "Gees! You could have given me some warning that would happen!"

Kandai looked to the ground, "I did not know the energy would be that powerful. I do not think I will have to worry so much about lowering my power to match it. It was… unbelievable!"

"Believe it Spirit. Compared to my own it was nothing." Pride filled his voice, "Twenty years is a long time old man."

"So I see the genetics for our species have paid off. Are you…" his voiced hitched, but he had to ask "Are you the legendary as we predicted at your birth?"

Bulma took a wise step back. That was most certainly not a safe question to ask.

To her amazement though Vegeta lowered his head, only the crushing of his fists, showing his true anger, "Not yet," he admitted, "but it is only a matter of time." He looked over to Bulma, "I know the legend is reachable, and I will not let anything get in the way of achieving it. I will be the strongest."

The breath caught in Bulma's throat; the chill in those words. There she was again, wondering when it was that she lost track of his true existence. The warrior in him would never leave. No matter who or what passed him by, the desire to fight and be the best would be the most powerful emotion he had. She would always come second. A tear threatened to betray her control and skim down her check, but she brushed it angrily away before it was noticed.

She couldn't get carried away with thoughts like that. She had to concentrate on the here and now. He was with her, willingly wasting precious training time to claim her as his mate. That was more than she ever could have expected. It was selfish of her to want more from him! He was already giving everything he was capable of. To do anymore would be to change who he was, and her relationship with Yamcha had taught her what the consequences of that could be, the hard way.

When Bulma relented from her thoughts, she was happy to see that she was spared any attention for it. Vegeta and Kandai both looked as lost to thought as she was. "So what now?" she asked, mentally beaming as they both jumped at her voice.

Kandai was the first to rouse his mind for the sake of an answer. "I need you here." He pointed to a spot barely a foot away from Vegeta. "You will have to face the opposite direction, so your backs are turned from each other."

Not daring to touch Vegeta, he gently ushered Bulma into the correct position.

She gasped as she felt something pulling at her tail. "Ow! Dammit that…" The pressure was gone in an instant, as whatever it was snaked gently up the brown fur, twining around and creating the most beautiful sensations to tiptoe up her spine. "…Feels fantastic!" She purred, shuffling awkwardly against her shorts as the feeling inspired fire between her legs. "What is it?"

"My tail!" croaked Vegeta behind her, the words heavy on his tongue.

"So!" she breathed, "Is this what you referred to as a tail union?"

"Almost," he gasped, as their tails flicked two and fro, fighting for the right to dominate, "Apparently it only gets better from here on in."

******************************

A/N - I'm so evil leaving it there! *giggles* I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Ember