Dragon Knights Fan Fiction ❯ Meaningless Fluff ❯ Meaningless Fluff ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Meaningless Fluff

Just something quick I wrote last night.


"Just look at it," said Rath out loud, his legs dangling between the railings as he sat of the balcony floor, gazing out. "It's disgusting, that is."

"What is?" asked Thatz, sticking his head out from the corridor. He bit down on an apple while he waited curiously for the answer.

"Those two," claimed Rath, pointing into the gardens at Lord Lykouleon and Lady Raseleane. They were sitting together, enjoying a picnic under some trees. She was teasing him with a blade of grass and when he thought none of the many courtiers nearby would notice, he blew in her ear. Their laughter and giggles were caught by the wind and brought up to the balcony. Faint wisps of conversation accompanied them.

"They've been sitting there for hours, whispering away to each other," groaned Rath, as he lay back onto the ground and looked up at Thatz. "Saying nothing important! Sweet nothings, Muffin-chompers, Wuvvie-kins, Wazzie wuvs her Lykky, stuff like that. Meaningless fluff, that's all it is."

Thatz laughed, then quickly stuffed the apple back into his mouth, when Rath hit him with a dirty glare. The disgruntled Dragon Knight eased himself up and pressed his face against the balcony's bars.

"They're all at it," he muttered darkly.

"Who?" asked Thatz, stepping forward eagerly as Rath pointed out into the grounds.

"Ruwalk and Kai-Stern are over there, being incredibly formal, but I've seen Ruwalk giving Kai-Stern some furtive hugs when the coast is clear." He added, disgustedly, "I'm sure that when he does, it's all drivel that he spouts. Why can't he woo with decent conversation? Why isn't that attractive?"

"Well, you don't want to hear about a war in Elbonia, or the best way to kill a demon, not when you're feeling romantic," said Thatz, joining Rath on the floor. "Sweet nothings are safe and if you call someone by a pet name, then you don't have to worry about forgetting their real one."

"They're at it again!" exclaimed Rath.

"Oooh," said Thatz, watching while it lasted. "Anyone else?" he asked, pulling a bag of loose food out of his shirt.

"Tetheus and Alfeegi have been in the bushes for the past hour," moaned Rath, helping himself to Thatz's bounty.

"Really?" Thatz squealed, leaning forward. "Alfeegi and Tetheus?"

"You don't want to be able to see," said Rath, pulling him back a little. "Trust me."

"There's two," said Thatz, pointing out a pair of bashful sweethearts, tip-toeing around each other by the pond, still unsure of their own feelings.

"Puuchie and Hugbear," said Rath, without even looking.

"Them?" asked Thatz, focusing on a more mature pair of lovers.

"Snookums and Dweedledums," came the reply.

"What about..." started Thatz, scanning the grounds. "Oh look, there's Cesia!"

"Cesia?" exclaimed Rath. "Where?"

He followed Thatz's pointing finger until he found the young girl, standing all alone by a mulberry bush.

"Excuse me!" he snapped, jumping to his feet and leaping over the railings.

"We're on the second floor!" Thatz cried, reaching out too late to grab him. He watched Rath land safely, then grow smaller until his tiny figure awkwardly stumbled onto Cesia. He observed them for a while, eating steadily and trying to decipher what they were saying from the shapes of their lips.

"Disgusting," he pronounced finally.

"What is?" called Rune, from the corridor.

"Oh, meaningless fluff," answered Thatz, making room for him on the floor.