Elfen Lied Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Elfen Lied Inuyasha ❯ Fitting In ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Aren’t you hungry Mayu?" Kagome asked watching Mayu worriedly. They were all seated at the kitchen table. Nyuu sat next to Mayu, eating contentedly. Both Inuyasha and Kagome sat across from the two, Inuyasha shoveling his face hungrily.

"No." Mayu lied, ignoring her protesting stomach. "I think I better go."

Inuyasha looked up from his half empty plate. "Forget it."

"Inuyasha!" Kagome glared at him for his rudeness.

"Look at her Kagome!" Inuyasha argued forgetting about his meal. "She’s half starved!" He shifted his gaze at Mayu. "Why are you so stubborn?"

"I-I just don’t want to be any trouble." Mayu answered looking down at her plate.

"Well, your not. So eat up." Inuyasha said, before returning to his food.

Kagome glanced at Inuyasha. No matter how hard he tries, he’ll never hide how soft he really is. She thought. She looked back at Mayu who still was starring at her plate wordlessly.

"Go on and eat." Kagome said getting up from the table.

"Huh?" Mayu looked up at Kagome.

"Nyuu?" Nyuu also glanced up.

"I’ll go run a hot bath for you." Kagome said walking toward the kitchen door. "I think you’ll like that. Our tub’s huge. It’s like a Jacuzzi." She said before leaving.

Great. Mayu thought. Now their even waiting on me.


Mayu slid into the warm bath water, her muscles quickly relaxing within the soothing aqua. Kagome was right. Her bathtub is large. Mayu thought glancing about her. The bathroom was large, almost as large as Mayu’s old bedroom. There was a small window toward the backside but it was high enough to avoid unwanted eyes. The tub was about as large as any Jacuzzi Mayu had ever seen. They must be really wealthy.

Steam drifted about the room, as Mayu let herself slide deeper into the water. The dinner had been delicious. It had been the first time that Mayu had cooked food in a long time. Mayu sighed. If only things hadn’t gone so wrong. If only she could live like this.

Suddenly the door flew open. Instinctively, Mayu sank into the water, her head peering above the water. Nyuu stood, completely unclothed smiling.

"Uh?" Mayu managed as she slid back. What is she doing? Mayu’s thoughts raced. She had remembered seeing Nyuu, seeing her at the cemetery. And she remembered being thrown and she remembered Nyuu fighting with someone. But she couldn’t help but wonder if it had all been a dream. Nyuu didn’t seem dangerous. Mayu then remembered the wound to her head. I probably just hit my head and had some weird dream.

"Nyuu!" Nyuu said, quickly sliding into the water with Mayu. "Nyuu." She sighed, as the warm water flowed over her body.

Kagome ran to the door. She froze as she saw Nyuu in the bath with Mayu.

"I’m so sorry." Kagome said entering, keeping her eyes only on Nyuu. "She just suddenly took off. I didn’t know what she was doing."

Mayu smiled. "No. It’s fine."

Kagome glanced toward Mayu. "Are you sure?"

Mayu giggled. "Yeah. I can see why she’d want to. This bath is really nice."

"Alright." Kagome said going back to the door. "Just call if you need anything." She said before leaving, closing the door behind her.

Mayu glanced at Nyuu. She laid with her eyes closed against the side of the tub, completely content. Suddenly, her eyes opened, starring at Mayu. Mayu froze.

"Nyuu?" Nyuu said softly.

"You don’t say much do you." Mayu said watching her.

"Nyuu."

Mayu giggled. "Your funny though."

Nyuu looked up at Mayu, her eyes shining. Smiling she slid over toward a Mayu. A sense of alarm shot through Mayu.

"Wh-What are you doing?" Mayu asked as Nyuu’s fingers wrapped about her arm.

Suddenly, a tickling sensation erupted under Mayu’s arms as Nyuu laughed. Mayu squirmed free for a moment as she laughed.

"Quit, that tickles!" Mayu laughed as Nyuu came after her again.


"So?" Inuyasha asked as Kagome entered, shutting the door behind her. "What’s going on?"

He was still seated at the table, his plate gone. Kagome walked over and seated herself across from him.

"Nyuu decide to take a bath too, I guess" Kagome said sighing.

"Keh," Inuyasha scoffed. "That girl’s always getting into trouble."

"Yeah. Well, Mayu didn’t seem to mind." Kagome said leaning back in her chair.

"Really?" Inuyasha said, thinking. "You know, there’s something about her."

"Yeah, I know." Kagome said absently. "I ran into someone earlier today. She told me that tomorrow’s Mayu’s birthday. She made a cake for her and everything. She also mentioned something about Mayu being poor and maybe even alone."

"You mean an orphan?" Inuyasha asked.

"I don’t know." Kagome said looking at Inuyasha. "I don’t think she’s lost."

"Maybe she ran away." Inuyasha answered.

"Ran away?" Kagome asked.

"She said that the reason she called the shrine was cuz’ she couldn’t call anyone else." Inuyasha pointed out. "Something’s up, Kagome. Either this girl’s ran off or she’s abandoned."

"Either way, she doesn’t have any parents for support." Kagome thought aloud.

"So, what do we do?" Inuyasha asked.

"Huh?" Kagome questioned.

"Well, it’s not like we can just let her go and forget it right?" Inuyasha demanded.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome starred at him. He’s really worried about her, isn’t he. Big softy.

Inuyasha traced the brim of the cap he still wore. As long as Mayu was around, he wouldn’t be able to expose his ears. Unless...

"What if we adopted her?" Inuyasha asked.

"Well, we can’t very well do anything if we don’t know what’s actually going on." Kagome said.

"Why not?" Inuyasha argued.

"What do you mean why not!" Kagome snapped. "It’s really none of our business!"

"We need to help her." Inuyasha said, his eyes shining with his determination. He gritted his teeth. Something’s wrong. There’s something about Mayu that she’s not telling us. But what?

Suddenly, the kitchen door flew open. Instinctively, Inuyasha leapt up, yanking Tetsegia from it’s sheath. It quickly transformed, ready for action.

Nyuu stood, wet and naked, a large smile across her face.

"Nyuu!" She cried happily.

"Uh..." Inuyasha lowered his sword, his eyes widening as his face flushed.

"Sit boy!" Kagome yelled. Powerfully, Inuyasha was thrown to the floor.

He began to lift his head. "Kagome, why in the hell-?" He started.

"Don’t look! You pervert!" She yelled going to Nyuu. "C’mon. We’ll get you dried and dressed."

"Nyuu."

Inuyasha waited until he heard the footsteps fade before he sat up. He rubbed his sore chin. "Damn it all." He groaned.


Inuyasha leaned against the trunk of the tree outside Kagome’s window. It was completely dark and everyone had gone to bed. Nyuu was bedded in a spare room down the hall along with Mayu. The two seemed to get along just fine despite Nyuu’s needs. Mayu was very patient with Nyuu and even seemed to enjoy her.

Kagome laid in her bed, her breathing even with sleep. Inuyasha watched her for a moment. The Shikon Jewel shone within the moon’s light. Inuyasha sighed. He still hadn’t told Kagome how he felt. How he loved her. Too much had occurred that evening, or so he told himself.

His gaze shifted down below, to the base of the tree. Down there, Wanta was tied to his leash. His small body rose and fell with his breathing as he too slept. Wanta had been barking all night at Inuyasha but had eventually stopped about half an hour ago. It was no wonder he would bark so much at Inuyasha, he was half a dog demon after all.

Inuyasha’s ear flicked at his dilemma. He still hadn’t decided what to do with the jewel yet. Why? Why was it so hard to decide? Wouldn’t it be easy for him to become a full human, to live with Kagome? He didn’t need to be a full demon now, he knew that. But then, why not human? Inuyasha raised his hand, studying his claws. Could he live so defenseless? To be without his claws, fangs, or even the Tetsegia. He knew full well that if he became full human he would no longer be able to wield his precious sword.

Kagome groaned as she rolled onto her side, her breathing still even. "Inuyasha."

He smiled. She’s talking. Talking in her sleep. She grew quite as she sank deeper into her dreams. I wonder, if she dreams about me. Like I do her. Inuyasha thought.

His eyes rested upon the stars as he leaned back against the tree. Maybe, eventually I’ll figure out what to do. But, not tonight. He continued to stare at the night’s sky. Until finally, his eyes became heavy and he fell asleep.


Mayu laid in bed wide awake, the half moon’s light filtering through the room’s window beside her bed. The room shone a midnight blue with it’s rays. Nyuu laid asleep on a bed across the room.

Mayu gazed at the moon from inside. These people had been so kind, so generous. But, she couldn’t stay. She didn’t belong here. She didn’t belong anywhere.

Quietly, Mayu slid from the covers. Careful not to wake Nyuu, Mayu slipped away into the darkness of the hall.