Elfen Lied Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Elfen Lied Inuyasha ❯ Mayu's Memories ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*************************************************************
Alright, I’m going to need a little help here from some of you Elfen Lied fans out there. Someone mentioned to me that I should answer some of the questions that were left behind in the show. Of course, I’m answering the questions I had but I also realize that a lot of you have different questions than I do.

So here’s your chance. If you want an answer (Warning: My answer may not be the one you like but we‘ll see.) to one of your questions then send me a review with the question or send me a message. You can also email me at venesasteinlicht@earthlink.net too. I’m open for any suggestions too. Thanks!
*************************************************************

The sun beat hot on Mayu as she followed the flow of traffic on the sidewalk. The streets were crowded with activity as people bustled about wildly. Wanta starred wide eyed from within Mayu’s arms as she walked, curiously studying the mayhem.

I couldn’t stay. She thought, her eyes gazing ahead. It’s just not right.

Haunting memories suddenly struck her. Memories she had fought to overcome and forget but couldn’t. She shuddered.

They seem so happy together. That’s why I can’t stay. If I did they’d...they’d be unhappy. I can’t do that.

Mayu broke off from the mass of hustling bodies. Quickly, she crossed the street and headed onto a nearly vacant walk. She kept Wanta in her arms as she followed the path. Meanwhile, her mind still churned with the memories.

Why? She almost said aloud. Why did it have to happen? Why do things have to go so wrong?


It was easy to recall. How could she forget? It was probably the same kind of hot sunny day when her and her mother had arrived in the city. Mayu instantly loved their new home and she excitedly explored her new room. It was empty and only a ray of sunlight filled the room from the window.

"Do you like it?" Her mother asked, smiling from the doorway.

"Of course!" Mayu said spinning around in the room. "It’s great!"

Mayu’s mother sighed. "It will be hard for awhile. But we should manage." She said before leaving.

Mayu’s mother had just passed away not a month ago. It had been hard getting over the shock and grief of the loss. But now here she was, standing in her new room. Mayu’s mother had thought it better to move, maybe to ease some grief. Here Mayu would attend a new school and have a chance to earn new friends.

Of course Mayu didn’t mind. She had hated the thought of continuing to live at her old home. Hated the constant reminder of what was lost. She missed her dad but she knew that he was in a better place. That was how it should be. After all, she didn’t have very many friends. In fact, she had hoped to make new ones anyway.

Weeks passed and one day Mayu’s mother introduced Mayu to someone. Someone Mayu could never forget. Even if a thousand years had passed.

The man stood in the front door way, his face covered in a shadow.

"Mayu." Mayu’s mother began. "I want you to meet Will."

Mayu felt uneasy. Something about this man didn’t feel right. Her mother had mentioned her new boyfriend before but had never probably introduced him to her before now.

"Hello." Mayu said softly stretching out her hand.

The man just stood back, a sly smile creeping across his face. "Hello." He answered.


Mayu shuddered as turned onto a separate path heading toward the beach. She could see the ocean’s waves rolling in. The beach was hardly occupied since it was a Sunday.

She didn’t know why she was suddenly recalling those awful events. Maybe it was because of Kagome and Inuyasha’s hospitality. Or perhaps it was because it was her birthday. Either way, Mayu was left helpless to allow the memories resume.


Even before The Night, Mayu had sensed that Will was dangerous. Something within her had screamed caution. But her mother seemed so content with Will that she couldn’t bare voicing her convictions. Her mother had began taking up drinking, something totally unusual for her. Before, Mayu’s mother would have rather stepped in front of a bus rather than touch a drop of alcohol. But now that Mayu's father was gone, it seemed anything was alright if it lessened the grief. Even if it meant pain.

It wasn’t long before Mayu noticed Will taking more control over the house. He was around all the time and hardly let Mayu out of his sight. At first, Mayu just tried to ignore him but it had become so constant that it was impossible to simply shrug off. Mayu’s mother began to drink more and more until eventually she began to leave Mayu and Will alone.

Mayu noticed her mother’s absences instantly and began to worry. Her mother simply would explain that she would need to finish some errand or go get groceries. But no matter how long she was gone she never returned with what she had supposedly left for.

On The Night, Mayu had once again been left alone with Will. As usual she acted as if he wasn’t even there and instead had gone up to her room to do school work. She was busy doing a math equation when Will knocked on her door. Mayu turned.

"Come downstairs, now." He ordered before leaving.

Mayu froze. She knew something was up. Hesitantly, she obeyed.

Down stairs, the most of the lights were out. It was dark and uncomfortable silence gripped the atmosphere. Mayu moved uneasily as she went to her mother’s bedroom door. Will was inside.

He sat on the bed, shirtless. His eyes on Mayu. Mayu’s blood chilled. He smiled, almost wickedly. Fear began to grip Mayu as her fists clenched. Without his shirt she could see his muscles. They were taut and seemed to bulge with power. Suddenly, Will seemed quite large, larger than normal. As if she had suddenly shrank into a mouse for the cat to chase.

It wasn’t like Mayu didn’t try to escape, didn’t try to fight back. But she was hopelessly weak to defend herself against him. He was more than twice her size and especially stronger. It didn’t help that he would hit her mercilessly if she even seemed to defy him. He was sick. And Mayu, unfortunately, was his addiction.

For well over a week Mayu was abused, molested each night. And each night she would fight back, only to be struck over and over until she became so numb with pain she no longer cared. She was helpless and had no way of defending herself.

Still, even after that, she didn’t complain to her mother. Never discussed with her mother Will’s awful behavior. She knew that her mother must know, know what was happening. That was why she was always gone. So she could escape. Mayu also knew that Will must have done the same to her mother and that was why she was constantly absent.

It wasn’t until later on that Mayu had tried to talk to her mother. Will would be home soon and Mayu’s mother was preparing to leave once again.

"Mom," Mayu began quietly. "Are you happy?"

"Of course dear." Her mother answered, her whole countenance exhausted.

"I was just thinking," Mayu hesitated. "Maybe we don’t need Will. Maybe, we-"

Suddenly, Mayu was knocked to the floor, her mother slapping her hard across the face. Mayu rose on her knees, her left hand over the burning bruise.

"If there’s anyone we don’t need it’s you!" Her mother screamed. "While your here he..........he...." Suddenly she stormed out the door, slamming it behind her.

Mayu knelt on the ground, her mind racing. Is it me. She ducked her head, tears streaming from her eyes. Is it really me? I’m I the one that has caused my mother to be so unhappy? Who caused Will to be.....

She slowly stood up. Before, she had never even thought to leave her mother. Not with Will around. But now....


"I was just thinking," Mayu hesitated. "Maybe we don’t need Will. Maybe, we-"

Suddenly, Mayu was knocked to the floor, her mother slapping her hard across the face. Mayu rose on her knees, her left hand over the burning bruise.

"If there’s anyone we don’t need it’s you!" Her mother screamed. "While your here he..........he...." Suddenly she stormed out the door, slamming it behind her.


The scene rushed through Mayu again. Her left cheek was numb with pain. But what stung even worse were her tears that streamed from her eyes.

That night, Will summoned Mayu into her mother’s room, just like every other night.

He laid stretched upon the bed without a shirt, his pants loose. Mayu stood beside the bed, her head down.

"Take your clothes off." He ordered, his eyes focused on her.

Mayu didn’t move.

"What’s wrong?" He almost sneered. "Take them off!"

Mayu’s head jerked up, tears streamed from her eyes.

"Enough!" She yelled back. "I’m not doing this anymore!" Before he could react Mayu ran out of the room. Without hesitating she ran to the front door, running outside.

Rain pelted Mayu as she ran, but she wouldn’t look back. Anything was better than the abuse that she had endured. Anything was better than Will. Anything. Now that Mayu’s mother had made it clear, there was no reason to stay. No reason to stay alive.


Mayu stood on the beach’s sands starring out to the sea. The waves crashed rhythmically against the shore. Mayu smiled through her tears that had risen from the painful recap. Wanta yipped playfully, sensing her sadness. She looked at him lovingly.

"You remember, don’t you." She said, watching him. She looked out at the ocean again. "This is where we first met."


Mayu had ran all night, trying to distance herself as far from the house as possible. By late morning she had finally reached her destination. She stood upon the beach, the ocean glimmering before her within the Sun’s rays. Mayu had always loved to see pictures of the sea and had always wanted to come and see it. And now here she was, standing before the savagely beautiful waters. Ironic, wasn’t it.

Mayu kicked off her shoes. She wanted to feel the ocean. Feel it wash over her feet and then her head. Feel it’s waters engulf her body. This is how she wanted it. It would be peaceful, and maybe it wouldn’t hurt. Even if it did it would be worth it.

She waded into the shallows, the cool water feeling good on her tired body. She went out to about her hips when she could hear it. It was a high pitch a yip, maybe a bark. She turned.

A small yellow dog stood beside her shoes, barking. His big round eyes were fixed on Mayu as he barked, his miniature tail wagging. Mayu watched the dog quietly.

"Where’d you come from?" She asked aloud.

Sand clung to her wet feet as she went back to shore. The dog sat down innocently, looking up at her as she approached. Mayu kneeled on the sand, watching the dog. His tail wagged instantly.

He gave a yip before trotting over to her, pouncing in her lap. Mayu couldn’t help but laugh and smile at the pup’s playfulness. She teased him with her fingers, gently caressing his soft fur. Then she grew sullen.

"What wrong?" She asked. "Where you abandoned too?" He barked as if in reply.

She glanced back out toward the ocean. She yearned to do it now, to end her life but...

She looked at the puppy. A part of her wanted to be with him. To protect him. What would happen if she didn’t? Would he be all alone? She glanced once more at the sea.

She smiled. "Well, not anymore. Your not abandoned." She said stroking his chin. "I’ll name you...Wanta." He yipped, licking her hand. She laughed at her new friend.


"It was because of you that I’m still alive." She said watching the waves. They stood there for awhile taking in the scene. The sun had began to sink to the horizon, the skies turning gold. Shards of the Sunset’s rays flickered across the ocean’s waters, making the sea alive with colors.

Mayu sighed. Turning she retraced her steps back to the path.

"Gus!" A woman’s outburst startled Mayu.

Looking up she saw a woman standing a few feet away, utter surprise freezing her.

"Gus it that you?" She jogged toward Mayu, her arms outstretched.

Before Mayu could react the woman had Wanta in her arms, embracing the pup.

"Oh Gus! It is you!" She cried holding the puppy as he lapped her chin.

"Um..." Mayu stopped.

The woman glanced up. "Oh. Thank you so much for taking care of Gus for me." She said. "I’ve really missed him."

"Uh, sure." The horror of what had occurred suddenly sank in. "So, he’s yours?"

"Yeah, I thought he ran off and I’d never see him again." The woman answered. "But now he’s back."

"Do you think that maybe I can come visit him sometimes?" Mayu asked.

The woman hesitated noticing Mayu’s clothes. "I don’t know."

Mayu’s heart sank. "Alright, never mind." She turned to leave.

"Thanks again!" The woman called, before turning away with Wanta still in her arms.

Mayu trudged across the sand, her head ducked as tears brimmed her eyes. At least you have a home now. She thought. Stay happy for me, Wanta.