Elfen Lied Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Elfen Lied Inuyasha ❯ Sheltered ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A heavy rain pelted against the roof of the shack as Mayu sat huddled within a corner. She had returned to the old structure within the cargo yards after leaving the beach. She had no where else to go. It was cold, her breath making faint wisps of white within the chilled air.

She shivered against herself, her arms wrapped about her knees, her head buried in her arms. She couldn’t stop crying, couldn’t stop the tears from flowing down her face and dripping from her chin. She was in pain, indescribable pain. She had no family, no home, and no friends. There was nothing in her life. No reason to live.

She might have gone back to the beach, back into the waters but she couldn’t. Something had stopped her, stopped her from doing it. Even if Wanta was gone, it still felt like there was something else. Mayu choked a sob, warm tears still streaming down her face.

She sniffled, wiping away the salty trails that wound from her swollen eyes. She fought to remember the good memories, to think of Wanta. She couldn’t think of her father, her mother, or Will. It would’ve have broken her, it was breaking her. She had to think of her best friend, her only friend.

She smiled, though tears still seeped from her reddened eyes.

"If Wanta was here," She sniffed. "I’d brag about how it was my birthday." She slumped forward, sobs rolling over her. It was too hard, too hard to think of him. But she had too, if she didn’t she might...

I can’t do this! She yelled at herself, the sobs still rippling through her. I can’t go through like this! There has to be something! I can’t go back home! I can’t face the pain, the abuse! Do I really deserve this? Why? Why me?

I know how I can escape it, but...I don’t want to die. I don’t want to do it, not now. But why not now? What is keeping me from doing it? What?

Suddenly, footsteps caught Mayu’s attention. A bright light washed over her. She raised her hand, shielding her eyes.

A guard stood, a flash light aimed at Mayu.

"What are you doing in here!" He demanded roughly. "Your not supposed to be in here."

Instinctively, Mayu leapt to her feet.

"Sorry!" She cried, running out.

"Hey!" He yelled after her as she darted out into the rain.

The rain had picked up, it’s freezing drops stinging against Mayu’s face as she ran. Water splashed against her legs as she ran through puddles. She could hear the sloshing of similar foot beats as the guard came after her.

Mayu ran faster, more urgent. If he catches me, he’ll make me go home!!!

Tears of desperation rushed from her eyes as she ran. She summoned all her energy, everything she could to get away. If only she could run so fast that she could break through time itself. If she could only break into a dimension where there was no pain, no hurt, nothing. But she quickly began to weaken, her legs beginning to give in to the overwhelming fight for strength.

Mayu could feel her legs burning from her run, her chest erupting in pain. Still, she ran, fighting to get away. But, she could still hear the footsteps and they were gaining. She could feel her speed fading. She wouldn’t stop.

"No!" She gasped through the rain. "I won’t go back!" An image of Will on the bed, shirtless darted by her eyes.

Large black circles darted in front of her, blurring her vision. She was losing consciousness, losing air. She needed to breathe. Needed to stop. She wouldn’t, even if it killed her.

"No! I can’t!" She yelled, more desperate. Another flashback played, her mother once again striking her across the face.

Suddenly, she tripped, landing hard on her knees. Mayu’s legs burned from her exertion and from cuts on her knees. Warm blood oozed from the gashes, the wounds throbbing. Mayu laid soaked, sobs raking her body.

"I can’t go back!" She yelled, blackness slowly rolling in her sight. Her head throbbed. "I won’t!" Her hands were clenched, nails digging into the skin.

Streams of water poured off her hair, her clothes dripping in the rain. Suddenly, a ray of light soaked her in it’s glow. She shut her eyes, ducking her head. She could feel the blackness seeping in, taking over her senses. She was going to black out.

Then she heard it, his voice.

"Now, what the hell are you doing playing in a puddle?" Inuyasha demanded.

Mayu looked up. He stood before her, his arms crossed tightly against his chest. He was looking down at her, disapprovingly. His long silver hair was soaked clear through with rain, along with his Kimono. The hat that wore was also drenched.

"Inuyasha!" Mayu staggered to her feet. Clenching his waist, she dove into him. Her sobs overcame her once more. She couldn’t help but bury her face into his shirt and cry.

She expected him to pry her off, yank her away. But suddenly, she felt warm. The darkness took advantage of her laxness, prying deeper into her consciousness. Mayu swallowed hard, she couldn’t feel the rain anymore. She looked up from the red Kimono.

Inuyasha had his arms about her, shielding her from the rain and cold. His embrace was warm and assuring. Mayu leaned her head against him. He smelled sweetly of crushed pine needles. Her head quickly began to swim. She felt herself begin to fall, then someone grabbed her.

She could feel herself being lifted, she fought to see who it was that had her. Her vision cleared briefly. She was cradled against Inuyasha, now within his arms. He had pulled her into his arms and was now talking to someone but Mayu couldn’t make out who. She could feel Inuyasha’s voice vibrate through his chest as he spoke, his voice a bit rough but comforting.

It was a moment before Mayu could see that Kagome and Nyuu were standing beside them, shielded by the large umbrella that Mayu had found. Her vision blurred over once again, but she could hear their voices along with the approaching footsteps.

"Are you sure she’s alright?" Kagome asked worried.

"Nyuu?"

"She’s fine." Inuyasha replied. "Just tired I think. But she was yelling something before I found her."

Mayu relished the comfort. It felt so good in Inuyasha’s arms, shielded from the freezing rain. This is where she wanted to be. Was this what had stopped her? But why? She hardly knew them. Besides, they probably wouldn’t want her around. Not her.

Suddenly, the footsteps slowed, the panting of a man growing louder.

"Hey!" The man managed to yell between pants. "That girl snuck into our cargo holds! She-"

"Sorry about that." Inuyasha interrupted. Mayu tensed. "We kinda had a family argument. Someone always winds up running away."

"Well, just see that it doesn’t happen again." The man growled, still breathing heavy. "That’s no where for kids to be."

"We’ll take care of it." Inuyasha assured him before turning away. "C’mon, Kagome. Let’s get home."

Mayu relaxed, her muscles melting out of their constricted pull. Darkness completely washed over Mayu. Exhausted she allowed herself to fade, forcing only a part of her to stay so that she may listen to Kagome and Inuyasha.

"Someone always winds up running away?" Kagome repeated. "What’s that supposed to mean!" She demanded.

"It’s true." He shrugged, slightly. "If it’s not Mayu here, it’s you."

"Why you!" Kagome growled. "If you didn’t have her in your arms right now, you’d be kissing pavement. You jerk."

Confused, Mayu fought to stay conscious for a moment longer. What? What does she mean kissing the pavement. She thought. Then dismissing this she also thought, Why? Why did they do that? Why are they taking me with them? Why would they do that? Mayu didn’t quite understand but it didn’t matter. Exhaustion had left her numb. Even when she finally felt the darkness engulf her, pull her into it’s comforting depths, she didn’t feel pain, she wasn’t miserable. She was happy. Tired, but happy.