Eureka Seven Fan Fiction ❯ Pierce Through The Wind ❯ Rise of the Blue Bomber ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: No Holdin' Back
 
 
 
“Well,” Mischa said from her clipboard, ignoring the anxious looks from Eureka and the three orphans. “As long as you don't push yourself too hard, Eureka, you're free to leave whenever you're ready.”
 
Eureka gave a small smile, “Thank you …” She said before turning to the kids, “Go on to the mess hall, I'll be along in a while.”
 
“And where do you think you're going?” Mischa asked, fists planted at her hips.
 
“To see Renton, I have to make sure I haven't done anything to make him angry with me …” She said looking away almost shamefully.
 
“Maybe it would be best if you go and rest a while first,” Mischa said uncomfortably. “You shouldn't push yourself …”
 
“I'll rest after I talk to him,” Eureka said playing with the sling her left arm was in. “I won't be able to rest until I do. I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.” And with that she ushered her kids out and closed the door behind her.
 
“Oh boy …” Mischa whimpered.
 
---
 
Eureka's small pale fist came up to knock on Renton's room/closet's door for the third time. “Renton, are you there? Renton?” She huffed slightly before gripping the handle, “I'm coming in.”
 
She slid the door open and was slightly taken back to see the closet almost completely empty, save for a Gekkostate uniform hanging on the wall and the Ray=Out issue with him on the cover lying on the floor. “Renton? Where are you …” She asked carefully picking up the magazine to stare at the weak disguise the others had put him in during his hazing.
 
Eureka left no more then a moment later and combed the ship searching every room and closet for her friend. She asked everyone she passed if they had seen Renton, but every one just shook their head with odd expressions. Eureka was unnerved by Renton's absence before, now she was worried on the edge of terror.
 
`Holland will know where he is!' She thought to herself as she approached the lounge. She started to enter, but stopped when she heard Mischa's voice.
 
“She needs to know what happened to him, Holland,” Mischa said forcefully.
 
“You've been kind of vague on why he ran away in the first place,” Talho said in a threatening voice. “Did you do something stupid again?”
 
“Renton … ran away?” Eureka asked, feeling an odd numbness grow in the pit of her stomach.
 
“It's not like it has feelings,” Holland said before claming up again.
 
“What? What the hell are you going on about now, Holland?” Talho asked clearly frustrated now. “What happened to Renton?”
 
“He's some kind of Robot, ok? He freaked out because I found out and he bailed,” Holland stated grumpily.
 
“Did that knock on the head knock more lose then we thought?” Talho asked in an amused tone.
 
“He speaks the truth,” The monk Norbu spoke up. “The boy is unnatural. I have never seen anything like that, and I've seen a lot.”
 
“Maybe he's like Eureka …” Talho countered.
 
“No he's not human, not even a Corellian he's … something else.” Holland said calmer. “He's dangerous.”
 
“He's just a kid …” Talho said in annoyance.
 
“Yeah, well that kid blew a KLF into pieces with some kind of blaster that appeared on his arm!” Holland roared, slamming his fist down on a table. “At least the Corellians we know just a little about. And you can't tell me something with that kind of firepower comes in peace!”
 
“You're wrong!” Eureka yelled, making her presence known to the group.
 
“Eureka …” Holland paused seeing her face flushed and enraged.
 
“No, Renton wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone!” Eureka argued with her violet eyes wide in anger. “Is being different so bad? Is being able to fight really such a horrible thing? How many lives have we destroyed, Holland? How many times have we killed?”
 
“That was different,” Holland argued weakly.
 
“Explain to me how?” Eureka asked, trembling slightly. “Explain to me how it's ok for us to hurt others and when Renton does in defense it makes him wrong?”
 
“We had a choice we fought and killed on order to do what we thought was right,” Holland said placing a hand on the girl's shoulders. “Renton obviously was made to kill.”
 
“How do you know I'm any different?” Eureka asked, turning her ringed violet eyes up to his.
 
Holland started to reply only to have his hand slapped away and the teal haired girl dashed from the room. “Eureka, wait!” Holland called after her, and started to pursue.
 
He was stopped a step later by Talho who gripped his arm. “Give her some space,” She ordered firmly, and he reluctantly agreed.
 
---
 
Eureka moaned slightly when she moved her injured arm through the sleeve of blue long sleeved Lifting jacket and let it drape slightly over her tight jump-pants. She couldn't sit there and do nothing while Renton was out there alone and more then likely confused and scared.
 
If anyone knew what it was like to be confused about whom and what they were, it was her. And the very thought of Renton suffering caused an unbearable pain in her chest. She lifted Renton's Lifting board and placed it under her arm and snuck from Renton's room/closet being careful to avoid any of the others. She carefully made it to the rear emergency exit hatch and strained to turn the lock.
 
“Leaving?” Eureka almost jumped out of her skin when Gonzy's voice spoke behind her. She turned quickly to see the old man seated on his carpet sipping on his tea.
 
“The Creation of the Corel and the Creation of Man will be drawn to each other, or that's how I hear it,” Gonzy said, taking another sip of his tea, before offering Eureka a cup. “But that's just legend, prophecy. I never believed in that stuff. Despite what many think of me, I've always been a man of science really. Tea?”
 
“No … no thank you, I must be going before I lose track of him …” Eureka said turning back to the door.
 
“Child, It has been over a week since he disappeared,” Gonzy said softly with a sagely smile, while rubbing his white mustache and goatee. “It is very unlikely you'll find him …”
 
“I have to try,” Eureka nodded with determination.
 
“Then good luck to you, and be careful of that first step,” Gonzy nodded to the exit. Eureka nodded, and turned back to the hatch and finished forcing it open.
 
“Hang on, Renton,” Eureka said as she put on a safety helmet, “I'm coming …” she said as she leapt from the Gekko-Go and took to the air on the board.
 
Gonzy watched as the hatch shut itself and smiled slightly. “She's a keeper, son.”
 
---
 
Eureka sighed as she glanced down at her wrist watch. She had been lifting through the skies for a little over an hour and according to her GPS she should be approaching a small village in another hour or so. With any luck her runaway friend had been traveling this way.
 
If Renton had been traveling in the opposite direction he may have too much of a head start for her to catch up on. “I'll just have to do without rest then …” Eureka thought out loud as she pressed on through the clouds.
 
Not long later she saw something moving though the clouds ahead. “Renton?” She called out hopefully and sped up to try to get to whatever she had seen. But once she got a good view she almost fell off her board trying to stop. “The Military …” She gasped, seeing two large carriers and a large group of flying KLF's. It took her a moment to realize that they were heading right toward the Gekko-Go.
 
She tried to turn to get away without them seeing her, but she wasn't quite lucky enough for that. With a yelped scream she ducked and spun through the air to avoid the missiles and gunfire from the Military KLF's that were rapidly gaining on her. She quickly pulled out a small handheld radio to call for help and warn her friends. “Gekko-Go, come in! This is Eureka! The Military is coming up behind you!” She yelled into the radio. “Two carriers, too many KLF's, they're coming! They're coming!” She called out before screaming when a missile exploded close by.
 
---
 
“Eureka! Respond, come on, Eureka respond!” Gidget yelled frantically in her com radio as Holland hovered over her.
 
“Where is she?” Holland asked narrowing his eyes on Gidget's monitor.
 
The Tan-skinned girl narrowed her eyes on her radar before turning back to him. “Around 200 miles behind us …”
 
Talho whipped the Gekko-Go around in a full one eighty spin and rocketed back. “We'll never make it, Holland!” She bellowed back to the commander.
 
“Get Mathew and Hilda in the air, they'll get there faster then us, maybe they can make it,” Holland said, before Mathew's voice spoke over the radio.
 
“Already on it boss, we'll do our best,” Mathew gave Holland a thumbs up on his window as Holland sat down roughly in the command chair.
 
“Prepare to engage the enemy,” Holland ordered as the two carriers could be seen in the distance. He was just about to sound the red alert when Gidget gasped.
 
“We've got another incoming … it's small but … I've never seen anything move this fast before!” the bubbly teen said, watching the radar with awe. “It's faster then the Nirvash!”
 
“I'll get her!” Another voice spoke through the com system. “You guys just keep a safe distance, this could get crazy.”
 
The bridge was dead silent for a moment, before Holland finally broke it. “Renton?”
 
---
 
Eureka road the waves as hard as she could, trying desperately to avoid her attackers, but with a startled cry her board was finally hit with a missile and exploded throwing her through the air. She couldn't scream as she saw the ground in the distance below her and felt the wind whipping past her as she fell helplessly.
 
“I'm sorry …” She whimpered with tears in her violet eyes. “I'm sorry Maurice … Maeter … Linck … I'm so sorry … Renton … I'm sorry Renton …” she closed her eyes tightly as her tears slid down her cheeks.
 
“EUREKA!” She heard Renton's voice and managed to twist in the air to see him approaching rapidly through the air riding on what looked like a cross between a large rocket board and a dog. His face was all that was visible from the blue form fitting armor and helmet, but her eyes went from his seemingly glowing green eyes to the outstretched blue-gloved hand.
 
“RENTON!!” She yelled back with a broad smile as she reached out to him. As soon as her fingers touched his gloved palm he grasped her and jerked to on up to him and into the safety of his arms.
 
His board stabled out through the air as he held her trembling form. “Are you ok?”
 
She just nodded dumbly and clung tightly to him.
 
“Sorry I left you alone, Eureka …” He whispered before turning to the enemy. “Listen, I want you to get behind me and hold on as tightly as you can, ok?” She nodded and he helped her get behind him. He waited for her to get her arms locked firmly around his shoulders before he spun around and brought his board into a hover. With narrowed eyes he began to prepare himself with a HUD display only he could see.
 
DRN-001 Rockman
 
Combat Mode - Activated!
 
Targeting System online…
 
Scanning enemy …
 
Attack Carriers x 2
 
Standard KLF Military model x 25
 
Chance of success in combat - 100 Percent
 
V.M.S. - Online
 
Mega Buster - Ready
 
“READY!” He called out and Eureka yelped and tightened her grip as they rocketed forward toward the enemy. “Remember, no matter what, hold on to me,” Renton said glancing back to her. “It might help to close your eyes …” he said with a sheepish smile before turning back to face the approaching KLF's.
 
Mega Buster- Buster Blade mode
 
Eureka's eyes widened when Renton's left arm began to glow from the elbow down before morphing in an instant into a long faintly glowing sword. She then did as told and clamped her eyelids shut tight. She felt the wind whip by her followed by the sound of metal slicing through metal and explosions in their wake.
 
“Switch to cannon mode,” Renton whispered, and Eureka opened her eyes and saw the blade arm yet again beginning to glow before shifting into what looked like a barrel of a plasma cannon.
 
Mega Buster - cannon mode
Plasma Generator - online
Targeting system - synchronizing
 
“Keep your eyes closed Eureka, this could hurt your eyes,” Renton whispered, reaching up with his free hand to hold her joined hands across his chest.
 
Eureka held on tightly as they flew through the air changing directions on a dime. She gave small yelps every time she felt the recoil of his cannon firing.
 
“Hang on, I'm taking you back to the Gekko,” Renton said, and she finally opened her eyes and glanced back to see all the KLF's that had been attacking her were floating in the air damaged beyond repair. “I want you to listen carefully Eureka, I'm going to hop off when we get to the Gekko, Rush here will get you inside.” Eureka looked confused but nodded, “When I tell you to I want to crouch down and hold on, he's a little faster then the typical board and I don't want you falling off.” He said with a warm smile.
 
“Ok, Eureka, now!” Renton said and she immediately let go and crouched down to hold on to the edges of the rocket board.
 
“RENTON!” Eureka gasped as Renton leapt into the air spinning feet first toward the top of the Gekko-Go bridge, while Eureka and Rush shot down toward the hanger.
 
Renton landed with a thunk but stayed on his feet as he turned to face the on coming attack carriers. He did a quick scan and smiled. “Great, just close enough.” He whispered as he held out his cannon arm and just aimed it directly between the two large triangular jets.
 
Particles began to gather around the opened end of the arm cannon and Renton's blue armor began to give off a faint glow. A moment later a soft hum could be heard from the cannon. The hum and glow continued to get more and more intense, and Renton reached up to grip the canon with his free hand, to steady it. “Wait for it …” He closed one eye and watched as the two carriers got closer. “Almost there…”
 
“Almost there…” he repeated again, before his braced himself. “NOW!” he bellowed as a massive blast of energy erupted from the end of the cannon. The blast shot between the two carriers engulfing the almost half of the two carriers' wings destroying the rudders and sent them slowly falling from the sky leaving trails of smoke.
 
Scanning …
 
Targets - Eliminated
 
Human casualties - 0
 
Mission Successful
 
 
“That was fun, I could get used to this,” Renton said as his arm cannon morphed back into his normal arm. He whistled loudly and a moment later Rush flew back around after dropping Eureka off. “Let's get inside, boy,” He soared down and smiled when he saw the whole crew gathered with Eureka.
 
“Everybody ok?” Renton asked as he hopped off Rush as the board transformed back to its dog-like form. “Um … hi?” he waved nervously, but when they continued to stare. “I guess this is making you guys nervous … Combat Mode: deactivate.” A mix of gawks and gasps issued when Renton's armor glowed blue before his helmet slid back and the armored outfit morphed into his usual clothing. “This better?” he asked. Talho was the only to answer by fainting to the floor.
 
To Be Continued