Eureka Seven Fan Fiction ❯ What's Real? ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Eureka Seven. This work is pure fiction.
 
Author's Note: Ick. This fanfic took a lot of work and still didn't come out too well. I absolutely loved episode 48 of the anime, it was just, so… strong. It was such a surprise, seeing how deep Anemone really was. Anyways, enjoy!
-RaiMidori
 
P.O.V: Dominic
-------------------------------
I feel alive. I just feel so amazingly alive right now, and I never want to let this feeling go. Her dress sways with her body, the rippling edges fluttering to the sound of music. Her hair is set free, flowing and dancing in its own ritual, framing her beautiful face, looking up at me. She smiles, tilting her head to the side, questioning me, amazing me. All I could ask for is fulfilled in one heartbeat.
 
The twinkling chandelier is hung precariously high, filling the room with triangles and pieces of radiance, each shining brighter than the one before. Her hand is clasped in mine, our figures swaying with such perfection. I can try to look away, but if I do, my eyes will move of their own accord, longing for even the smallest glance of the lovely maiden before me. Anemone's timidity has been swept away, and her movements are graceful and flowing. She's just like a bird, a beautiful red bird soaring in the vast expanse of blue sky, never looking back.
 
All of a sudden the music stops. My mind is blank, and I'm sputtering, searching for what to say. “T-that was… nice, wasn't it…?” my horrid stuttering is released from my mouth, which turns quickly into a grimace. Anemone is giggling, her hand up to her mouth daintily. I feel my cheeks heating up, and I look away, suddenly drowning in embarrassment. All of a sudden, she reaches up both of her hands and lets them rest on my face. She pulls herself closer and lands a kiss right on my cheek. “It was. Just because it was you.” I'm speechless, and cover my mouth with my hand, averting my gaze to the fancy wallpaper. She laughs again, a high-pitched sort of giggle, and I join in, adding my deeper chuckle to the mix. It's a nice sound. I want to listen to it forever.
 
She half pulls, half beckons me to a table. I sit down awkwardly, not knowing at all what to say. Instead, she starts. “You want to know what I'm afraid of, Dominic? The one thing I'm most afraid of?” I look into her eyes, and realize that they're so full of sadness that I want to just take her outside and show her the stars. Hey, I'd say, these stars are out here because we have hope, alright? You shouldn't give up on anything that easily. And then, I'd hug her and promise I'd never let go. “My greatest fear… is of being alone. All alone, in the darkness, just by myself. I wouldn't have anyone to talk to, I wouldn't have any light. I wouldn't have anything at all.” I'm astonished, my mind reeling in circles. All this time, there was so much pain and fear. How come I'd never noticed it? She goes on. “For a while, I was alone. All alone, where no one would hear me crying. But you came. You came and rescued me. See? You saved me after all!” We sit there, immersed in our thoughts, for a long time.
 
The next songs starts, and it's a gorgeous piece, with flowing ripples so real that I hold my breath. She pulls me out to the middle of the floor. Taking my hand, I can hear the whisper she pushes out into the room. “One more time, okay?” I squeeze her hand. As we twirl in the middle of the room, I can feel her breath on my chest. She's alive… I thought to myself. She's really alive, isn't she? This isn't a fantasy, this isn't a dream. I love her so much. I've never felt more love in my entire life. Because she's real, that's why. It's not going to disappear this time. When the song comes to an end, I pull her into my embrace, smiling. She doesn't say a word, but I understand. At first, I can't hear it, but the sound of my own voice becomes a clear, confident thought. “I love you. Do you know that?” I say it right next to her, and I know she can hear me. “I know. I've known for the longest time. I love you too.” Her soothing voice feels surreal and magical. I let it drift over me like a dream, and I hope with all my heart that I will not wake.
 
There are sad thoughts too, but I don't need them, do you? If we press our dreams into our hands, we can choose to never let them go. We can keep them close to us, feeling them pulsating life, breathing like a child. Flowers will grow, right? I don't know, because I've never planted a flower in my life. But I know a flower. I've met her, long, long ago, and I've fallen for her. Saving her was the best thing I've done in my entire life.
 
I take her hand in mine and lead her out of the bustling and bright room, into the silent and tranquil night. We don't stop walking until we realize how fake that light was, yet how beautiful. How human. At the top of that hill, we lean on each other. I point out the stars and she sings me a song. By the time we're breathless, we realize that we don't need words, after all. She has her eyes closed, her head resting on my chest. We're lying down in the verdant grass, just living, just breathing, just being. But it's more than enough.
 
The moon casts a sleepy light over the city. The little dots and pieces of light on the buildings are enough to light up the hill, casting long shadows across the soil. The light is fake, but the shadows aren't. Though we can't really tell the difference, it's beautiful any way. Because we have it right there, and we know more than we used to. The night is longer than time. It stretches out until we can no longer see it, and then we just walk on, hoping that, indeed, it will never end.
 
Somewhere along the line, she turns to me, the stars glittering in her eyes, casting the dark pools some hope.
 
“Dominic? You're my hero.”