Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Empire ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Three

“I don’t see why they hell we have to bring this damn animal to the wedding!” exclaimed Harold as he continued to struggle with the chains that wrapped around an uncooperative dragon.

“Seth’s hoping that once this beast sets sight on his ‘hideous’ wife; he’d do him the favor of burning her to crisp.” Rafael snickered as he digs his heels deeper into the ground, trying to maintain control of the animal.

“Do not speak to me about that. I’m still irritated at the fact you two,” he glares angrily at Blake who was lounging lazily underneath a tree, “kept it from me.”

“It seemed like the best decision now that I see you’re acting like a pansy because of it.” Rafael retorted as he released his hold on the chains allowing the dragon to bolt across the field with Harold flailing behind it, holding the chains with dear life; cursing every moment he could.

After what seemed like an eternity to Harold, Rafael finally whistled for the dragon who obediently returned to him. It was quite a magnificent animal, its scales were of a topaz shade and its eyes were ever changing with its mood. Now it seemed to have a calm crystal blue glint to it.

Trailing not too far behind him was a tousled Harold who did not look too pleased at the moment.

“I’ll slaughter you in your sleep for this,” he threatened; an empty threat for that matter.

“Come,” Blake raised himself off the ground, “we’ve wasted enough time.”

With that, walking towards the group, he reaches for the chains and holds it as leverage as he mounts the back of the dragon.

“Show off.” Harold muttered as he continued to dust dirt off his armor.

“Get yourselves cleaned up and I’ll meet you at Marian’s Fall.” As soon as the last words were spoken, the dragon raised itself off the ground, spread its giant wings, took off in one rapid swoosh of its wings.

“Now where did he find time to learn that?” Harold queried as they watched their friend disappear in the distance.

Not knowing an answer to that, Rafael merely shrugged as both men head back to their horses to clean up before the celebrations begun.


***


Marian’s Fall was wide river that represented the border of both countries. As you continued down its channel, it would lead you to a waterfall that would drop hundreds of feet down to the Indovinello.

It was magnificent sight for Cassandrah who had never seen it until that day. Standing close to the edge of the drop off, her gown flowing with the wind, her gaze focused on the thick fog casting over the forest that lay in the distance.

“It is said that many years ago a woman, by the name of Marian, would secretly meet her lover here at this river.” Jemma explained in a hushed tone, “Since they had come from opposing countries, it was highly forbidden. One day they both agreed to elope and escape to Indovinello.

“Is it that forest straight ahead?” Cassandrah pointed.

Jemma nodded, “It is said to be a safe haven for all those that seek sanctuary, though the price to get there could be your life.”

Cassandrah’s curiosity was peaked, “Life you say?”

“Many have tried to get there, many stories have been told of its power. It is said that if a mortal reaches Indovinello, your deepest wish would be granted.” Jemma gave a quick glance around to make sure no could hear her speak, “I’ve heard that those that have dared to seek its power and riches have never returned.”

Cassandrah laughed, “Well if you had found untold amount of reaches and had your greatest wish fulfilled, why would anyone wish to return to this dreadful place?”

Jemma rolled her eyes in exasperation. “It is what I was told! That place is a mystery to everybody and frankly I don’t care much for it. My life is worth more than a trifle of treasure that probably doesn‘t even exist.”

“It’s alright to be scared, Jemma.” Cassandrah teased.

“Oh shut up. Now get away from the edge, they’ll have my head if anything happens to you before the wedding.” With that, she pulls Cassandrah slowly away from the edge of the cliff.

“So what happened?” Cassandrah questioned as pulled her eyes away from the forest towards her friend. “To Marian… did she live happily ever after?”

Jemma gave her a sorrowful look, “If only reality were like the fairytales, my dear. Marian’s beau had died in battle, and she wasn’t told of it until she saw his corpse burning in the courtyard of our kingdom, along with the other opposing soldiers. Afterwards, your guess would be as good as mine. She was seen jumping off this very cliff down the waterfalls. Many say that she was mad but there are her families that say she did it to get to Indovinello. Perhaps she prayed that if the stories were true, her deepest wish would be fulfilled; her lover would be back in her arms.”

A cold chill went up Cassandrah’s spine as she imagined the scene. To love someone so much that you would give your very own life away for the sake of the other. In her eyes, the woman was the luckiest woman alive for she herself had never known love as deep as Marian seemed to have. Perhaps someday she will, perhaps this marriage will.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the blaring of trumpets from the distance signaling the arrival of the King.

“Your future is calling,” Jemma teased.

Giving one last fleeting glance towards the mysterious forest, Cassandrah walked back towards the procession in hopes that her future wouldn’t meet such a fate as that of Marian.