Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Curse of Akumu Island ❯ Monster ? ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A/N: I thought I'd update this. Grammar errors I know. Spelling mistakes..Most likely.










The sun shined throw the windows of a two story house. A single woman stirred in her bed, while another sleep on quietly not knowing that day break was upon them.

Madeline stretched and yawned slowing rising from bed, as the nights conversation played in her head. She sighed, ‘Hopefully my child took the things I told her to heart. But will she still think of me as her mother?’ Even if she didn’t Madeline knew she would always be there for Akumu no matter what obstacle she had to cross.

Madeline made her way silently to the kitchen. Blinking when the bright light shined in on her. The kitchen was medium in size with an butcher block in the center and a small table that sat in the corner. Her fridge was rather larger she loved to cook, her oven was a gas stove because it was as close to a wood one she could find when she first moved here. She looked around deciding that she would like to cook eggs, bacon, and grits for breakfast. She went to the fridge and took out 2 eggs and the small pack of back. She walked over to the island and sat the items down, walked over to her pantry opened it up. Took out a box of grits, than walked over to the fruit bowl on the counter and grabbed 3 oranges setting them down on the butcher block as well. Reaching upwards she grabbed a small pot. Than squatting down she opened a cabinet door and took out the griddle and than opened a draw moving around some items until she found her orange juice squeezer.

She sat them down on the block too. She picked up the pot sat that on the griddle, picked up the eggs and sat them in the pot, picked up both the bacon and the grits and sat them on the griddle walking over to her oven she sat them aside, turning on 2 of the 4 burners on med-low heat, she sat the griddle atop of that. Walking over to the sink with the pot minus the eggs now, She filled it with a cup of water. Turned on the back burner and sat it atop of that. She took out the bacon and laid it across the griddle.
“Forgot the butter and toast” Madeline mumbled. She turned around jumping at the site that was behind her.

“Here, I figured you’d forget the butter and toast” Yawned Tom. Who was standing in boxers. His abs showing and what little chest hair he did have was flat against him.

“My goodness Tom!! What are you doing here, My Love? I thought you wouldn’t get back till later tonight.” Madeline rushed and grabbed the items sating them down and giving Tom a fierce huge and a passion filled kiss. She dearly missed him when he went out.

“I thought it was a nice surprise I thought I’d come in and jump in the shower before you noticed. Dear.” Tom who kissed her back after a month out on sea without her. All he wanted to do was hold her and tell her how much he loved her.


After Tom and his Captain at the time found his dearly beloved Madeline he was young, and not really looking for a relationship. After a few months and listening to her story and finding more about her. He felt the need to protect her and Akumu honestly he wasn’t sure if he loved her. But by asking her hand in marriage it would save and protect her.

So a year later in a small church on the coast of the island he grew up, Fushigi. Madeline became Mrs. Tom Unmei. Tom adore Akumu but he wasn’t sure if giving the child his last name would be wise.

“My darling, you know I adore our Akumu, but of the stories you have told me I feel as though, it would be great dis-respect if I were to change it. I will think of her as if she were my own but...I do believe it would be best if she kept Yogen as her last name.” Tom said sincery to his wife.

Madeline knew it would have been in great dis-respect if Tom had asked to change Akumu’s surname
. Even on The Island Akumu if she is married It is the husband that changes his name if he would like. Unless, he is of higher royalty which wouldn’t be the case. The Yogen clan was of the highest on the island.

“I’m glad you wish to keep her name the same darling. It is a crime, a punishment of death for those who voice dis-respect upon the Yogen name” Madeline then kissed her husband and with a almost inaudible whisper of goodnight.

That night 17 years ago a part of him wished he could of asked to have Akumu carry his name as if she were truly his own daughter.

For he thought of her as his very own.

“Tom?? TOM!!!! Are you listening? I’m sorry for yelling darling.” Madeline sighed. He always got that dazed looked when he was lost in his thoughts.
“My love, I was just thinking of when we pledge our love to each other. If you could please re-tell me. You have all my attention darling.” He kissed her lightly on the cheek to apologies.

Madeline slightly smiled she could never stay mad at Tom for long.

“I said, last night I dreamt of ‘That Day’ and since you wasn’t here to comfort me as always, Akumu came in and I just felt so guilty for not telling her, So I told her. I even gave her, the locket and the letter. She laughed her self in tears at first, but I do believe my love she might actual believe me. I pray she does. I just hope she still thinks of me as her mother.” Madeline finished in light sobs.

Tom wrapped his arms around his wife bringing her into a tight embrace.

“My beloved, dry your eyes. Do not fret I surly believe no, I honestly know she does. Many can give birth to a child, but to care, nurture, and love unconditionally as you do is what makes a mother. And you are Akumu’s mother” He kissed each tear away till she calmed. While rocking her lightly back and forth.

The intimate moment was broken when the soft voice of Akumu reached theirs ears.




Akumu woke to the sound of yelling and loudly rolled out of bed, grumbling about parents who couldn’t...wait??

Akumu suddenly perked up Parents? Tom’s Back!! She ran from her room tripping over various articles of clothing that she absently minded left on the floor.

“Must clean room”Akumu mumbled.

She finally made her way to the kitchen and the scene that greeted her, was her ‘dad’ rocking her silently, sniffing, sobbing mother. She stood there not wanting to break up that moment and un-sure of why her mother would be crying.

Pain staking minutes later Akumu’s softly spoke.

“Mom? Are..um...are you alright?” Akumu let out almost as if a whisper.

Madeline so badly wanted to say yes but her voice seemed to be stolen away. As the tears renewed themselves, so she buried her head in her supportive husbands chest. He would be her through this.

Akumu fliched. A part of her knew she was the cause of her mothers tears. But she didn’t want to admit it to her mind. She wanted to believe that her mother was crying for something other then her. Akumu backed away slowly out of the kitchen. She could feel the tears rolling down her pale skin. Hitting the floor and shattering like glass.

Tom looked up, and gasped! His daughter, Her eyes flashed from bright green to raging silver. But what made him take a step back in horror was her tears.

No longer clear like pour rain. His darling baby girl looked as if she was,
As if she was
Crying rubies....

Madeline looked up at the moment Tom gasped. His face was pale and staring into the door way she turned. Madeline’s eyes widen and a hand came up to cover her mouth. Her daughter was shedding tears of dark red blood.

Akumu stared at them, their faces mirrored each other, both pale as if they have seen a ghost or...
or a monster...


‘I’m a monster, I’m a monster, I have no clue of what I really am.’ It was like a chant playing over and over in her head taunting her.

Akumu brought her hand up to wipe the tears from her eyes. Bringing her hand back down she caught the site of red upon her finger tips. She brought t up to her eye level. It was smeared blood upon her fingers from...from her tears she had cried. No that couldn’t be right?

She brought her other hand up to wipe them away again this time keeping the hand at eye level..She saw.
More blood.

Akumu turned back to her parents and did the only thing she could think of.

She ran.

She ran out of the kitchen, through the living room, and fainted right at the moment her hand connected to the metal door knob. For her it felt like a shock being sent through her whole body giving her a jolt.


Tom and Madeline stood silently staring at the vacant space where Akumu once stood.

“Tom? What just happened?” Madeline slowly asked.

Tom was about to replay when they heard a slightly in the distance yet still loud enough to hear where they stood. A thud.

Madeline looked at Tom, They both bolted from where they stood through the house into the living room. Stopping to a dead halt.

Both staring at the small fragile being of their daughter crumbled to the floor with the blood stained tear tracks left upon her skin.

They both hand one thing going through their mind;

‘The nightmare has just begun’