Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act II, Family and Stake-outs ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Don't own FAKE. Why must I be so tortured? Love to you all, reviews are appreciated.
 
 
Dee glared darkly at Rose as they sat in his office, Drake and J.J. nearby, Ryo carefully sitting in the chair next to him. Dee had a bad feeling about this.
 
“With Detective MacLean temporarily injured,” Rose said. “I'm afraid we're going to have to do some rearranging.”
 
Here it comes, Dee thought irritably.
 
“Fortunately, Detective Parker is going on vacation next week…”
 
Dee shot Drake a horrified look, but the man just shrugged back. J.J. grinned happily and Ryo sighed heavily.
 
“Laytner, you'll be working with Detective Adams. Ryo, you'll be on desk duty until your doctor clears you. That is all.”
 
“That son of a bitch!” Dee roared as he slammed their office door closed. “I hate him, I hate him, I hate him!”
 
“Calm down,” Ryo said as he leaned the long cane against his desk. “It won't be for that long.”
 
“It's J.J.!” Dee hissed. “A week with him is like a fucking eternity!”
 
Ryo smiled and turned back to his computer with a sigh.
 
“I hate desk duty.”

 
Dee grumbled irritably as he and J.J. set out, his eyes straying back for one last long look at his beautiful Ryo. Damn. Maybe he should try and get Ryo to take some vacation time with him, they could…no, Ryo wouldn't do it. He liked his job too much. Dee sighed heavily as J.J. tugged insistently at his arm.
 
“Come on, Mr. Perfect. We've got crimes to solve, danger to face, love to--”
 
“There will be no love!” Dee roared and slammed the station door behind him.
 
Ryo glanced up, but then turned back to the stacks of paperwork that had begun to accumulate on his desk. Figures everyone in the damn department would have something to pawn off on him. He sighed and thumbed through it, already bored.
 
“Problem Detective?” Rose smiled warmly at him as he lightly shut the door.
 
“No sir,” Ryo said.
 
“Oh, come on Ryo, don't lie to me. I know you too well. You're unhappy, but your health is more important, so take things slow. I'm sure that's how you like…other things, perhaps?”
 
Ryo blinked and blushed darkly and Rose sat down on the corner of his desk.
 
“Am I wrong?”
 
“Cane, sir.”
 
Rose frowned. “What?”
 
Ryo held up the cane for Rose to see.
 
“Cane, sir. It's not as effective as a gun, but can leave more of a mark then a fist.”
 
He lightly pressed the end to Rose's chest and pushed him off the desk. He stretched as far as he could, Rose's eyebrow raised as Ryo leaned over the desk.
 
“There, that's about as close as you could get before I could hit you with it. It would probably be hard to explain where a mark like that came from, wouldn't you agree sir?”
 
Rose chuckled and shook his head.
 
“You're so intriguing, Detective MacLean.”

 
Dee rumbled angrily around Ryo's apartment, opening and slamming doors, kicking the furniture a little, his teeth grinding irritably. Ryo watched him as he lay on the couch, his eyes slightly amused. Apparently working with J.J. had gone about as well as Dee had expected it to. Ryo sighed and reached for the tea on the table next to him, his book rolling off his chest and onto the floor. He grunted and bent down to get it, his face tensing with pain.
 
“You could have just asked me to get that,” Dee said, his voice suddenly soft.
 
“Dee,” Ryo said, his voice slow as he leaned back into the couch. “It was fun having you at my beck and call for the first couple of days, but honestly, I'm sick of it now.”
 
Dee chuckled and lightly poked at Ryo, the brown haired detective lifting his head so Dee could slide onto the couch beneath him. Ryo stared up at Dee and long callused fingers began to play through his silky hair, gently running across his scalp. Ryo sighed and closed his eyes, his mouth opening a little, inviting Dee down for a kiss. Dee smiled and leaned forward, his tongue sliding free, gently roaming across Ryo, drinking in his wonderful taste.
 
“So good,” Ryo whispered quietly as their lips parted.
 
He smiled and Dee closed his eyes, his hands running through Ryo's hair again. He leaned forward for another kiss, more forceful this time, Ryo moaning as Dee plunged deeper in, sucking hard, pushing more passionate heat into the kiss. The kiss paused, lips brushing against each other now, and Ryo lifted his head, drawing Dee back into him.
 
The doorbell ran.
 
“Son of a bitch,” Dee whispered and Ryo laughed at him.
 
“Hi Dee! Hi Ryo!”
 
Carol breezed into the apartment, a wide smile on her face as she lightly hugged Ryo, fussing over his injuries as Dee hovered nearby.
 
“Hi Carol,” Ryo said finally. “I thought you were out with Bikky.”
 
“Oh I was,” she said and waved a hand behind her. “He's on his way here, but I beat him.”
 
She grinned and Dee shook his head.
 
“What'd the little twerp bet you?”
 
“Twenty bucks.”
 
“You'd think he'd know better by now,” Ryo said with a sigh. “How long did it take you to find someone to pay for a cab this time?”
 
“Almost six minutes,” Carol said. “But it is raining, so that usually makes it harder.”
 
“Poor Bikky,” Ryo sighed. “Did you remember to pick up a movie?”
 
“Yes, we did, and popcorn too.”
 
“Hey, something I can cook,” Dee said as he snagged the bag from Carol.
 
Ryo laughed. “What else can you cook? It's almost dinner…”
 
“What do you want? I can make anything. Where's the phone?”

 
Ryo lay on the bed, Dee's hand trailing lightly up and down his chest. They were kissing, it was light, gentle, and Ryo's head was swimming with passion. He moaned quietly, Dee's hands sliding down the flimsy pajama pants. Fingers grazed across him and Ryo's mouth opened wider, Dee's tongue plunging in. He quickly slid between Ryo's legs and pressed lightly at his knees, Ryo willingly pulling them up. Suddenly the brown haired man gasped and pushed Dee back, his legs falling back onto the bed as he panted for air. He blinked quickly, the painful tears barely staying in his eyes.
 
“I'm sorry Dee,” he whispered. “I can't. I can't.”
 
“Shhh,” Dee lay down next to him and gently ran his hands through Ryo's hair. “It's alright. It's okay.”
 
“I'm sorry,” Ryo said again and Dee laughed.
 
He softly kissed Ryo again and then slid his arm across Ryo's chest pressing their bodies warmly together.
 
“It's okay. We should wait, let you heal. I shouldn't have pushed. It's okay.”
 
He ran his hand through Ryo's hair again, his touch soft and gentle as the painful breathing slowed and disappeared, Ryo's body relaxing as he drifted off to sleep. Dee sighed slightly and lightly kissed Ryo's forehead.
 
Damn.
 
He couldn't deny that he was disappointed, but Ryo had been right; Dee would never hurt him.

 
Dee's mouth hung open and he slammed his hand down on the chief's desk, Rose and J.J. flinching slightly as his voice boomed out.
 
“What? You've got to be fucking kidding me!”
 
“No Laytner, I'm not,” the Chief leaned back in his chair and glared at Dee. “It's your old neighborhood, you know the layout, it's perfect.”
 
“You don't think people aren't going to recognize me and go `oh look, the cops are here?' Whose dumbass idea is this?” his eyes grated across Rose and the Commissioner smiled icily.
 
“Believe it or not, Detective, but I'm not involved.”
 
“It was mine,” the Chief hissed lowly. “And you can just quit trying to get out of it. You'll be holed up in an old hotel and if anyone sees you I'll cut off your fucking head. You and your partner are going!”
 
“J.J.'s not my fucking partner!” Dee howled. “I can't spend two weeks on stake out with him!”
 
“Three.”
 
“What?”
 
“You said two weeks, you'll be going for three.”
 
“What?” Dee roared.
 
“The meeting's in three weeks. That will give you time to map everything out and know the meeting site completely. I want you firmly entrenched, Laytner.”
 
“Nooooooo,” Dee wailed the desk rocking back and forth. “Please, Chief, send anyone else!”
 
“Sorry jackass. Get your ass in gear and get out there.”
 

Ryo glanced up as Dee shut their office door, his dark haired partner strangely quiet and subdued. Ryo frowned slightly and Dee turned, the lock clicking in place as he closed the blinds on their window. Ryo couldn't help the tension that suddenly ran through him.
 
“Dee?” he said quietly.
Dee moved slowly across the office, his eyes sad as they rested on Ryo, hands gently framing his partner's pale face. Ryo blinked, his worry growing as Dee stared silently down at him.
 
“Dee? What's wrong?”
 
“I have to go away for a while,” Dee said softly. “A stake-out…with J.J….for three weeks.”
 
A wave of pain washed over Ryo's face that had nothing to do with any flight of stairs. Dee leaned forward and lightly rested his forehead against Ryo's, both sadly staring into each others' eyes.
 
“I don't want to go,” Dee whispered.
 
“I know.”
 
“Ryo, I know we're at work and all, but could I…”
 
Ryo blushed darkly but nodded a little, his eyes sliding closed as Dee slowly closed the small distance between them. Dee kept his eyes open, took in every sight of Ryo as his lips brushed across his partner's, soft and smooth, so perfect. Dee lightly ran his tongue across them, Ryo's lips parting quickly, his own tongue darting out and sliding gently across Dee's. It felt so good, it was Ryo.
 
He drank the kiss deeper, pressed forward, his hands tightening a little against Ryo's face as his tongue slid in further. Ryo moaned as Dee's tongue brushed across the top of his mouth, lightly tickling across him. Dee stared down at Ryo, tried to memorize every tiny part of him, tried to engrave this instant in his memory. He didn't want to go. The kiss stretched out, both lingering as long as they could before they parted, Dee's forehead again pressing lightly against Ryo's. He sighed slightly.
 
Since they had been partnered up Dee had gone out of his way to make sure that they were never apart for more than a day at a time. After he had finally gotten Ryo to open up to him some, there had been whole time spans when they hadn't been apart for weeks. And since they had become lovers…Dee's eyes closed and his fingers lightly caressed across Ryo's face.
 
“I love you Ryo.”
 
“I love you Dee.”
 
Dee sighed more heavily this time.
 
“Three weeks,” he said lowly. “Just three weeks.”
 

Three weeks, just three weeks. It wasn't even a month without Ryo. Hell, he could do that, no problem. Jesus, he had spent how much of his life without the man? And even after they had become partners, how many years had he gone without Ryo telling him he loved him? How long had he waited? Three weeks was a joke. Dee Laytner scoffed at three puny weeks.
 
Or at least he did for the first hour.
 

Ryo sighed and drummed his fingers on his desk, his eyes boredly scanning over the stacks of paperwork. It didn't seem to matter how much he did in a day, more was always rolling in. This damn precinct, they were too lazy. He sighed again and glanced at the clock, wondering how in the world so little time had passed since he last checked it. Only two weeks and six days until Dee came back.
 
The door clicked open and Ryo knew it was Rose before he even looked up.
 
“You interested in lunch, Detective?” Rose said warmly.
 
Ryo stared at him with one eyebrow cocked, a little suspicion in his eyes. Rose laughed loudly.
 
“Calm down, I remember. Cane.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “Sorry sir, sure that sounds fine.”
 
It would be nice to get out of the office, and when Berkeley Rose wasn't hitting on him or fighting stupidly with Dee, he was actually an interesting man. Ryo got up slowly, his body a little stiff after sitting still for so long and he leaned lightly against the cane for a moment as he stretched. Rose watched, carefully masking the curious hunger in his eyes, but taking in every flexing muscle.
 
Damn, he needed to get away from Ryo MacLean. There was no doubt in his mind that he would never stand a chance with the man, nothing was going to steal him away from that prick of a detective. Ryo only had eyes for Dee, but oh he was so nice to look at. He thought back to the ball and the trim figure Ryo had cut in his tuxedo, his eyes so warm and hesitant. And that blush…damn. Rose lusted for this man, completely and totally, and he was determined to drink in every moment of him that he could get before Dee returned and stole him back. He smiled warmly at Ryo and they chatted quietly as they walked through the station, Rose's eyes still racing hotly over Ryo's body.
 

Bikky yawned and stared down at the cards he held, his eyes glinting back up at Ryo and Carol. With Dee gone he had a chance at actually winning a few hands, even though the dark haired detective was the only one who would slip Bikky a few bills under the table for his winning pots. That was okay, he'd nag Carol for some prize later. Bikky grinned at that. He was pretty sure Ryo was bluffing, why anyone that honest would want to play poker was a mystery to him, but with Carol…Bikky's mouth thinned and he stared at her intently, her eyes boredly staring at her cards, one hand tapping lightly against her chips then….yep, she was bluffing. She had just wrapped one finger in her hair, a sure sign that she was holding nothing but crap.
 
“Raise,” Bikky said flatly.
 
They each tossed in a few more chips and Ryo sighed.
 
“Call,” he said finally.
 
They laid down their cards and Ryo chuckled quietly.
 
 
“Sorry,” he said as he swept up the pot.
 
“How in the hell did you do that?” Bikky said with amazement.
 
“I've got a pretty good poker face,” Ryo answered.
 
“Except with Dee,” Carol teased. “He always sees right through you.”
 
Ryo blushed slightly and Carol laughed.
 
“Oh Ryo!”
 
“When's the dumbass supposed to be back, anyway?” Bikky grumbled as he shuffled the cards.
 
“One week and six days,” Ryo said glumly.
 
“That's so cute,” Carol said. “Bikky, would you count down if I was gone for a while?”
 
“I'd count the hours,” Bikky said seriously.
 
Ryo and Carol both stared at him in surprise and Bikky shrugged.
 
“Well I would.”

 
Ryo tossed and turned angrily, sighing heavily as he struggled to get comfortable. He had read until his eyes burned, until he was exhausted, but he still just couldn't get to sleep. The bed was suddenly too big and too empty. He lay on his back and sighed again, his eyes drilling up into the ceiling.
 
Damn, he missed Dee.
 
Ryo flipped through the files slowly, his eyes blearily trying to decipher someone's illegible handwriting. No wonder the paperwork never got done, it was almost impossible to know what half these things said. He lifted up his glasses and rubbed at his eyes a little, his body tiredly reminding him that he hadn't slept enough for this.
 
He stretched his hands a little, dark eyes resting on the braces. He'd be able to take them off in a few more days, the light cast on his foot would disappear next week. Ryo sighed, there'd be no one to celebrate those little milestones with him. How depressing. He slumped down in his chair and rubbed a little more at his eyes, trying to wake himself up enough to actually get some work accomplished.
 
“You ready for lunch, Detective?”
 
Ryo glanced up and smiled slightly at Rose.
 
“Yes, alright. Thank you sir.”
 
Ryo sighed and stared blankly at the TV. He had never realized how much time Bikky really spent out on the streets. The boy had offered to cancel his plans and stay in with Ryo, but Ryo knew that it was only a show of an offer. Bikky didn't want to stay, and it wasn't fair for Ryo to try and make him. He sighed slightly.
 
He was so bored. Without Dee around it just seemed like his apartment and his life were completely monotonous. There was no one trying to cop a feel while he picked up, no one wrapping their arms around him as he fell asleep, no one dragging him out to some horrible activity that he knew he would absolutely hate…Ryo smiled a little, he usually ended up enjoying whatever Dee wanted to do.
 
He should go out, do something. He glanced down at the braces on his wrists and the light cast on his ankle. It would have to be something easy. He leaned back on the couch, his eyes lightly closing as he thought. Maybe a book store, or a coffee shop, or he could go to the movies…
 
A few hours later Bikky returned to find Ryo asleep on the couch, his neck cocked at an angle that was sure to leave him sore the next day. The boy sighed and gently prodded Ryo until he woke up enough to head off to bed, blearily glaring at Bikky as he glanced over at the time. Bikky shrugged in response, but made a mental note not to wake Ryo up the next time he came home after his curfew, regardless of how uncomfortable said man looked.
 
Two weeks and one day. Ryo sighed and stared down at the stack of papers on his desk. Could this really get any worse? He was so bored at work, and at home he was restless. He roamed a lot after hours; he had seen two movies and visited every coffee shop within six miles of his apartment. Bikky was threatening an embargo if Ryo bought anymore books and his wrists were just itching to be free.
 
Well, at least tonight was the night for that. Too bad Bikky and Carol were going out, it would have been nice to have someone to celebrate with when he took them off and finally got the complete use of his hands back. He quietly tapped his pencil against his desk, eyes distant as the door opened and Berkeley Rose entered.
 
“Hi Detective,” Rose said warmly.
 
Ryo smiled vaguely at him, his eyes already sliding to the stack of files that Rose held. The Commissioner chuckled quietly.
 
“Sorry,” he said in his warm baritone. “You really have been doing excellent work on all of this, though, it's quite impressive.”
 
“Thank you sir,” Ryo said, a little depression in his voice.
 
“Say, Ryo,” Rose set the files down and stared more intently at Ryo. “Do you have any plans for tonight?”
 
Ryo blinked and frowned. Was that a pick up? No, he and Rose had been going to lunch all week and the man had been nothing but civil and professional. Lunch hour was Ryo's one reprieve from the mind numbing paperwork, and he actually found himself looking forward to Rose's daily invitation. Wouldn't Dee be furious to hear that?
 
“Just taking these off, sir,” Ryo said as he raised his battered wrists up. “Finally.”
 
Rose chuckled again. “I see, and how are you planning to celebrate?”
 
Ryo sighed. “Well, with Dee gone and Bikky going out, I'll probably just watch some TV and go to bed early.”
 
“Well that won't do at all. We can go out, just as friends. How about a movie?”
 
Ryo frowned and shook his head.
 
“Coffee?”
 
Ryo shook his head again.
 
“I'm not trying to pick you up, Ryo.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Sorry sir. I've just been spending a lot of time at movie theaters and coffee places lately.”
 
“Trying to keep occupied?”
 
Ryo nodded and Rose smiled again.
 
“Well then how about a nice night in? I'll bring a bottle of wine, or I could pick up some food. What do you think?”
 
Ryo shrugged. He should probably say no. Dee would be livid if he found out Rose was going to be spending any time alone with Ryo. But then again, he really was lonely and he really did want to celebrate with someone. When Dee wasn't around Rose seemed to be a pretty good guy, and his advances had all but disappeared. Ryo frowned a little in thought; maybe the Commissioner had found someone else.
 
“Well?”
 
“Sure,” Ryo said finally. “That sounds good sir. You just bring the wine, I'll cook something.”
 
“Great,” Rose said, somehow managing to mask the predator behind his smile.
 

“Come in, it's unlocked.”
 
Rose entered slowly, strangely curious to see Ryo's apartment, part of his mind reminding him that it was almost Dee and Ryo's apartment. He shook that off and tentatively entered, peering around for his sexy host.
 
“Ryo?”
 
“I'm in the kitchen.”
 
Rose followed the sounds of a meal in progress and chuckled quietly as he watched Ryo chop some lettuce.
 
“I see I missed the big event.”
 
Ryo glanced down at his pale wrists and grinned slightly.
 
“I couldn't take it any longer.”
 
Rose smiled and held out the wine he had brought, Ryo nodding with open appreciation.
 
“That's a good year.”
 
“So I've heard.”
 
It was nice being with Ryo. The way he laughed, the warm way he talked, he was so…Ryo. Rose couldn't think of another way to describe it. He should probably go. This seemed sleazy, even to him, to masquerade as a friend just to be close to the trusting detective. But then again…
 
His eyes traced down Ryo's long neck, eagerly sliding over the smooth pale skin. He imagined what it would be like to bite at that skin, to lick softly against that wonderful soft skin, to hear Ryo moan in desire. He smiled as Ryo said something that was supposed to be humorous, the brown haired man completely oblivious to Rose's roving eyes. He stared up at Ryo's face, the conversation still easily passing between them as he caressed every inch, touched it, kissed him everywhere, then, finally, gently, he came to Ryo's beautiful mouth.
 
He couldn't take this much longer. It was one thing to play with Ryo at work, but at the station there was always something that required his attention, something that pulled him away before his mind could stray too far. Here, alone in Ryo's apartment, a good meal in his stomach and a strong wine going to his head, he was quickly losing his resolve not to ravish the beautiful man before him. He suddenly wished that Ryo's loud mouthed foster son would show up just to keep him in line. Rose smiled a little; had Dee ever thought such a thing on those long nights he had waited for Ryo to come around?
 
“More wine?” Ryo asked happily.
 
No, tell him it's late and you need to go home.
 
“Yes, please.”
 
Damn you.
 
Rose watched silently as Ryo refilled their glasses, the open smile still in place as he continued to chatter, obviously pleased to have some company around. God, even the way he poured the wine was so…sensual. Rose blinked slowly to get himself under control. He needed to go, now. He should chug this last glass, screw the fine vintage, and make a run for it before he irrevocably wrecked things with Ryo. He glanced over as Ryo brushed some hair out of his eyes, completely unaware of the stunning sexuality that the simple movement exuded.
 
Shit.
 
Rose lifted the wine glass and quickly downed the warm velvety liquid inside, his eyes watering a little as he coughed loudly. The wine was stronger than he had thought.
 
“Are you okay?” Ryo said with a slight frown.
 
Rose nodded and thumped his chest a few times to clear it.
 
“Yes, thank you. I'm sorry Ryo, but it's late and I need to get going.”
 
“Oh,” Ryo looked up with a little disappointment and Rose almost jumped him right there. “Of course. Thank you for coming over, it was nice to have some company around.”
 
Rose smiled slightly. “I'm glad you had a good time. Maybe when that last cast comes off I could cook for you?”
 
Why in the hell did you just offer that? You fucking masochist.
 
Ryo beamed and Rose suddenly knew why; because it would make Ryo happy. He would suffer through another night of look but don't touch just to see that smile again. His lust seemed to have more depth to it than he had imagined.
 
“Thank you Commissioner that would be great.”

 
One week and six days. Ryo sighed and glanced up at the clock. His shift had just started and he was already thinking about quitting time. Not a good sign. A new stack of folders had been haphazardly slung across his desk, a quick note explaining that this paperwork absolutely positively needed to be done by the end of the day. Ryo glared down at it; so why in the hell hadn't someone else already done it?
 
He irritably began shuffling through the papers, quickly sorting the stacks out as he wondered what Dee was doing then. He hoped that Dee was eating right, his dark haired lover had a tendency to believe that cigarettes and beer made up two of the four food groups, and Ryo blushed slightly as he realized that he himself was probably one of the other two. Now what would the fourth one be? He smiled warmly as he debated it, running through Dee's favorite foods as his eyes skimmed the papers in front of him through his thick rimmed glasses. Maybe steak, Dee was a sucker for a good T-bone.
 
Maybe I should broil some up when he comes home, Ryo mused quietly as he began to fill in the open blanks in front of him, one hand absently flipping on his computer. What else could he make for Dee? Well, he'd definitely have to hide the growing stacks of books that were littering the apartment; the buying binge was hard enough to explain to Bikky, he had no desire to go through it with Dee. Ryo chuckled quietly as he began to re-file some of the papers, quickly initialing them to show that they were complete.
 
“You ready for lunch, Detective?”
 
Ryo barely glanced up from his desk, his mind still rolling over thoughts of Dee.
 
“Sorry sir, but I'm swamped today. Thank you for the offer though.”
 
“Of course,” Rose said and disappeared.
 
Another hour passed, Ryo barely registering it as he continued to plow through the papers, his mind still intent upon Dee. His Dee. He blushed slightly as he thought that, glad that his office was empty and quiet. He couldn't think of Dee like that without blushing hotly, he knew that he was just as jealous of Dee as Dee was of him, but he didn't have the same possessive nature. Dee was with him, not his. Ryo smiled slightly; not that he minded Dee possessing him.
 
A bag thumped dully on his desk and Ryo looked up with a little surprise as Rose smiled down at him.
 
“I figured you'd forget to stop and eat something,” Rose said with a wry smile.
 
Ryo sheepishly nodded, his stomach suddenly rumbling loudly. He blushed darkly and Rose laughed.
 
“Bon appetite, Detective.”
 
“Thanks, how much do I owe you sir?”
 
“On the house,” Rose said absently waving him off. “I'm sure you'll have that Baker file cleared up before the day is out, and this won't even cover half the headaches you've saved me with that.”
 
Ryo chuckled quietly. “Of course sir.”
 
“How long until the cast comes off?”
 
“Hopefully the day after tomorrow.”
 
“Do you still want to come over and have dinner with me?”
 
“So long as it hasn't become an inconvenience, sir,” Ryo answered.
 
“Of course not,” Rose smiled at him. “I'd love to have you.”
 
Ryo wasn't sure why that comment made him uneasy.
 

“Hey Ryo!”
 
Drake grinned at the Japanese-American as he sauntered into Ryo's lonely office, quickly sitting down in Dee's vacant chair. He grinned wider and Ryo sighed.
 
“Did you have a good time with Diana?”
 
“Yes,” Drake all but sang. “She's such an amazing woman! But I didn't come in here to flaunt my happiness. I've got to go out and check in with Dee and J.J. this afternoon, so I thought that maybe if you had a letter or something I could deliver it for you.”
 
Ryo's eyes lit up happily.
 
“Thanks Drake.”
 

Dee irritably ground out the cigarette he had just smoked down to the filter, his eyes throbbing a little as he pressed them back to the binoculars and stared out across the street. This fucking sucked. He didn't think he had ever hated anyone as much as he hated the Chief for sending him on this stupid stake-out.
 
“DEE!”
 
“J.J.,” Dee roared. “For the last fucking time, we're in the same room. Turn down the volume!”
 
“Sorry,” J.J. answered with a wide grin. “I was just thinking how sore your shoulders look. I remember that mine were really stiff after sitting there for just an hour and you've been staring out that window for the last three. Did you want me to…”
 
“No,” Dee said firmly. “I'm fine. What do you want to order for dinner?”
 
J.J. sighed dramatically but began to page through their pile of take out menus.
 
“How about pizza?”
 
“Why do you always pick pizza?” Dee said with disgust.
 
“I like pizza,” J.J. smiled at him. “Almost as much as I like you.”
 
Dee rubbed irritably at his forehead. He had honestly thought that J.J. would tone down after a couple of days, but the man somehow still had inexhaustible energy. He bounced around their small hotel room, chattering happily, professing undying love for his sexy temporary partner. If J.J. hadn't been such a good cop, Dee would have shot him in the head three days ago. He sighed and rubbed a hand across his eyes again. He missed Ryo.
 
There was a quiet knock at the door and both froze slightly, exchanging a quick glance as they drew their guns. So far no one seemed to have noticed their stake-out operation, but they were still going to be prepared and cautious. J.J. peered hesitantly out the door and then shook his head.
 
“It's just Drake.”
 
Dee's eyes lit up. Could this be a reprieve? With Drake back could he escape to the station and the waiting arms of his beautiful lover? Drake grinned at them both as he came in, lugging a few spare parts for their equipment, but, to Dee's sorrow, no personal gear.
 
“Hey guys,” he said happily. “How's the stake-out?”
 
Dee grumbled something and J.J. sighed with bliss. Drake laughed at them and began to toss down the heavy bundles he carried.
 
“Gifts from the Chief.”
 
“How was your vacation?” J.J. asked happily.
 
“It was fine, Diana and I had a good time.”
 
Silence stretched out and Dee frowned suddenly.
 
“What, that's it?”
 
Drake stared at him and shrugged.
 
“Yeah, so?”
 
“What the hell? You've never been this quiet about a girl before, you always have details, man. What's going on?”
 
Drake shrugged again. “Maybe there's just nothing to tell.”
 
Dee stared at him and then shook his head.
 
“You're in love with her.”
 
Drake's eyes widened and he blushed darkly, J.J. laughing loudly.
 
“W-what?” Drake sputtered. “What are you talking about?”
 
“You're in love with her,” Dee said and lit another cigarette. “You poor bastard.”
 
Drake's mouth thinned irritably and he jammed his hands in his pockets.
 
“Keep being a shit, dude, and I won't give you the special present I brought.”
 
Dee paused in his smoking. “Special present? Does it have anything to do with a luscious brunette down at the station?”
 
J.J. rolled his eyes and frowned as he began to unpack the equipment more thoroughly.
 
“It might.”
 
Dee grinned. “Drake, old buddy, old pal…”
 
“Yeah, that's what I thought,” Drake said as he pulled the thick letter from his pocket and handed it over. “There are cigarettes in that black bag too, courtesy of Ryo. He said to tell you not to smoke them too fast because he's not buying you anymore and I'm forbidden to go on any kind of nicotine run for you.”
 
Dee grinned as he carefully slid the envelope open. He had come to this stake-out stocked for a month and a half, of course that meant that he would probably need the cartons Ryo had sent next week. He couldn't help himself, he loved cigarettes.
 
You smoke too much.
 
Dee laughed loudly as he read the scrawled message at the top of Ryo's letter, a warmth spreading through him happily. Ryo knew him too well.
 
“I've got to get back,” Drake said. “You got anything for him?”
 
“What? Oh shit, I need a piece of paper.”

 
Ryo stared down at the thin sheet of paper and unfolded it slowly, the empty apartment curling close around him. He had made himself wait until he was alone to read Dee's note, part of him itching with curiosity, but he had managed to restrain himself. He took a deep breath and read Dee's few words.
 
Ryo-
Sorry Sexy, this is so short, it's not a fair trade judging by the letter I'm holding in my hands. Drake says he'll be back next week, I'll have a damn book ready for you by then. I miss you so much, more than I could ever put into words. I miss everything about you, please don't be too lonely without me, I know I'm too lonely without you. I love you, so much, and I can't wait to see you, my Sexy Little Ryo.
Love,
Dee
P.S. Thanks for the cigarettes. I knew you loved my flaws!
P.P.S. I love you.
 
Ryo sighed and leaned back against the couch, his eyes closing with a warm smile. He was already ready to read it again. He gently smoothed the paper and then carefully folded it and slid it into his wallet. He'd save it, it would have to do until next week when Drake could make another run between them. He'd have to think of some other little treat to send for Dee, and something for J.J. too.

 
Dee lay quietly in his lumpy hotel bed, J.J.'s eyes glued to the binoculars as the night spread out around them. He unfolded the letter again, his eyes skimming over it as he read his favorite parts again, a small smile on his face.
 
Dear Dee,
I miss you so much. I'm sitting here at my desk being lonely and ignoring all this paperwork while I write this letter to you. I know, it's not very responsible, I think you're rubbing off on me again. What are they going to do anyway? Fire me? Who would do all this paper pushing then?
I really miss you. My stupid apartment is too empty, and…well…so is the bed.
 
Dee grinned. He could just imagine Ryo agonizing over writing that, a dark blush on his face as he set pen to paper then pulled it back, wrote it finally, then thought about crossing it out. It was almost like being with Ryo.
 
I wish you were here. I finally got those braces off, my wrists feel strange now, and I wish you were here to celebrate with me and take my mind off of them. Yes, I know how we always end up celebrating, and I…well I miss that too.
 
The grin grew wolfish. Was Sexy really writing about his desires? He was going to keep this letter forever.
 
Bikky's fine, he misses you too.
 
Dee skimmed through Ryo's little update about Bikky's latest activities. He had read it thoroughly earlier, but he wasn't in the mood for it right now. He flipped to the next page and continued to read.
 
I can't wait for you to come home. These have been some of the longest days of my life, and I really miss you. I love you so much, I'm sure you miss hearing that.
 
Damn straight.
 
So just pretend that I'm there with you, and I'll smile and say it as much as you want. I love you Dee Laytner.
 
Dee closed his eyes and smiled as he imagined Ryo's warm eyes and soft voice. He sighed and turned back to the letter again.
 
I should be getting this stupid soft cast off in the next couple of days. The doctor says that I'll probably need the cane for a few days after that, but by the time you come home, I'll be moving completely under my own power. My side feels better too, I think all the rolling around I do when I'm trying to sleep without you has helped it to get stronger. It's completely your fault that I'm not getting any sleep.
 
Dee chuckled. Poor Sexy. God, Ryo would kill him if he suspected how often Dee called his lover that in his head. The silly grin returned; it was a fitting nick name, he wouldn't stop using it.
 
I really miss you. I hope your stake-out's going alright. Don't do anything stupid. I can't wait to see you, Bikky makes fun of me, but I'm counting down the days until you return. I love you so much, please be safe. I know you Dee, don't charge in when I'm not there to bail you out. I'm sick of paperwork already, don't make anymore for me. I love you Dee.
 
Dee sighed and flipped to the next page.
 
There's not much else to tell you. Things are dull without you. I'm bored and lonely and I hate living alone anymore. I can't believe that I ever liked it. I know that I'm probably springing this on you, and it's something we should talk about in person, but I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days. Maybe it's time you got rid of your apartment. You never use it, except when we're giving Bikky some free time, or we're…sorry I can't write that down.
 
Dee read the paragraph again and he felt thick warmth spread through his chest. His heart was going to burst. Ryo wanted him to move in, permanently. They would be together. He sighed and wished this stupid stake-out would be over so he and Sexy could do all the things that his shy lover couldn't make himself write down. He grinned happily and read the paragraph once more before he forced himself to move on and finish the letter.
 
Well, Drake's waiting and I've got to close this up now. I love you, I can't say it enough. I love you Dee. I miss you.
Love,
`Your' Ryo
 
Yes, his Ryo. His wonderful beautiful Ryo. He couldn't imagine ever living without Ryo again. He folded the letter up and brought it up to his face, his brain fooling him into believing that the paper somehow smelled like Ryo and not like the 27th. He didn't mind that it was a lie, and he carefully placed it under his pillow as he snapped off his light and curled up for a little sleep.
 
“Wake me in a couple of hours if you don't get tired before then,” he called.
 
“Okay Mr. Wonderful.”
 
Dee was in such a good mood that he didn't even bother to yell at J.J.