Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act III, Pistols and Passion ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Boo hoo! I don't own FAKE and I'm not Sanami Matoh. This is Yaoi kids, so watch out for hot boy on boy action. Sexy, sexy, sexy!
 
Ryo had been lucky.
 
The rifle had taken a lot of force out of the bullet which turned out to be small caliber anyway, and it had already traveled a long distance before finding him. It slammed into his chest between two ribs and lodged between them, miraculously missing every organ and only chipping one rib. It was a bloody messy wound, surrounded by bits of metal and wood from the destroyed rifle, but it would heal. Ryo had been damned lucky.
 
Of course with the interminable hospital stay that followed, he wasn't very willing to admit it. Ryo didn't mind visiting hospitals, so long as he could leave when he wanted to, so long as he didn't have to go into any quiet rooms and be alone. He hated them then, hated how silent and dark they became. And as the days stretched out, he became tired and almost irritable, often sighing heavily and glaring at anyone who came to see him.
 
Dee visited everyday, and brought Bikky with him as often as he could, the boy cheerfully ignoring Ryo's deteriorating mood and constantly bickering with Dee. Ryo seemed to brighten when they were there, but he always looked depressed when the nurses came and asked them to leave. Ryo would sigh and anxiously hold onto Dee through their last kiss, his hold tightening a little before Dee reluctantly pulled away. He would sigh again and try and smile and promise to look forward to seeing them the next day.
 
Then the dark night would stretch out and he would be all alone.
 
Ryo smiled as Diana sat down next to Dee, the lovely FBI agent lightly kissing his cheek as she handed him a cup of coffee. Ryo took it quietly and sipped a little at the dark liquid as they talked, first about trivial matters and then slowly moving on to the real reason for her visit.
 
“Seriously Ryo,” Diana said as she shook her head. “Something is very wrong here.”
 
“I'm aware of that,” he said wryly and she shook her head again.
 
“No, we've had Martin under constant surveillance, and the man is doing something. That's all we know. He's involved in something. Everything is so cloak and dagger that even with court approved wire taps on all his phones and agents watching every move, we've got no idea what it is. We know the mob's involved, but no one has anything on this guy that could clue us in. Your cousin is clean.”
 
Ryo's mouth thinned irritably and Dee grunted.
 
“And a bastard,” he said flatly. “Look Diana, if you can clear things with Rose, I'll look around a little. I can't make any promises, but there are a few people that I could talk to about this, but again, you've got to get Rose off my back.”
 
He frowned with annoyance. Rose had almost become his second shadow at work, trailing after Dee and carefully observing every move. He all but followed Dee into the bathroom, and Dee was pretty sure that the Commissioner had him under watch at home too. Rose was still stubbornly refusing to let anyone from their precinct get close to either of the incidents at the shooting range, and he seemed damned determined to carry it through.
 
Diana sighed. “I'll see what I can do. Call me tonight, and I'll let you know.”
 
Dee nodded and lightly threaded his fingers through Ryo's, gently playing with his hand as they continued to speak. Diana stretched and leaned back in her chair, telling them about the flood of responses they had gotten after the attacks, organizations quickly informing the FBI that they were in no way involved. Most crime organizations were uncomfortably aware of how much rage could follow in the wake of a cop related crime, and in New York City, the response could be especially brutal. She smiled at all the flowers that filled Ryo's room and listened to him irritably complain about staying in the hospital for so long.
 
“When can you leave?”
 
“Tomorrow,” Ryo said firmly.
 
“Maybe,” Dee added and Ryo shook his head.
 
“Tomorrow.”
 
“They've still got some tests to run,” Dee said, his voice gentle.
 
“I don't care,” Ryo said flatly. “Tomorrow.”
 
“And where will you be going?” Diana asked, ignoring the fight that was trying to build. “Your place isn't safe Ryo.”
 
“And it's not cleaned up yet either,” Ryo said with a sigh, Dee carefully avoiding his gaze.
 
“Bikky and I have been staying at my place,” Dee said.
 
“You still have that rat's nest of an apartment?” Diana said with surprise.
 
“Well, we did go over there a few weeks ago to start packing things up and sorting it all out but, we, uh, er,” Ryo blushed darkly and quickly looked up at the ceiling. “We didn't get much accomplished.”
 
Dee grinned widely and Diana chuckled.
 
“You must have been very upset about that,” Diana said, trying not to match Dee's grin at the slowly darkening blush. “I guess that's your best option, but still, you might want to think of someplace else, someplace where no one's going to know you.”
 
“How about Rio, Ryo?” Dee said with a laugh.
 
Ryo snorted a small laugh and Diana shook her head.
 
“That was horrible.”
 
 
Dee sat at the small table in his living room and stared at the phone as he smoked. She had done it, Diana had gotten Rose to okay Dee's involvement. How, he had no idea, and he was pretty sure that he didn't want to know. So now, all he had to do…
 
Dee sighed. He needed to get this done tonight, in case Ryo really did come home tomorrow, an event that Dee was looking forward to, but cautiously. Ryo wasn't the most cooperative patient, either at the hospital or under Dee's care. Chances were good that he would have to stay a few more days and that he would try and get back into his own life too quickly when he finally was released. Dee pushed those worries aside and decided to focus on his current problems.
 
He picked up the phone and began to dial with a small frown.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hello, I need to speak to Alicia Grant.”
 
“And whom may I say is calling?”
 
“Detective Dee Laytner.”
 
There was a long pause and Dee sighed with annoyance.
 
“Just tell her it's me,” he growled.
 
“Yes, please hold.”
 
Silence stretched out again and Dee closed his eyes. He could still clearly remember the last time he had seen Alicia, it had been at her husband's funeral, Leo Grant, dead and buried. The man who had killed Ryo's parents had died at her hands, and Dee and Ryo had gone to great lengths to see that everything was carefully covered up. Despite the shake-up that followed afterwards, Alicia had somehow maintained her position within her family, and when Bruno had died two months ago, rumor had it that she had become the real power behind the organization. Dee sighed and waited.
 
“Hello Dee,” a sensuous voice flowed out over the line. “And to what do I owe the pleasure of your call? Or is this business?”
 
“A little of both.”
 
She chuckled quietly. “What do you want Detective?”
 
“Information.”
 
“You know I can't give you that,” she said, her voice soft. “I owe you a lot Dee, but I'm not going to go out on any ledges for you.”
 
“I want to know who's going after Ryo and why.”
 
More silence and Dee puffed lightly at his cigarette as he waited.
 
“You think the mob's involved in that?” she said finally.
 
“Yes. But we aren't sure who.”
 
“Hmm, but you have your suspicions?”
 
“Yeah, some pretty strong ones. You haven't heard anything?”
 
There was another pause and then her voice returned, gentler now.
 
“I'll check around and call you tomorrow at five. Tell Ryo I…I hope he's okay.”
 
“I will, thanks.”
 
“Goodbye.”
 
“Bye.”
 
One down. Dee sighed and stretched a little, glancing at the time as he picked up the phone and dialed again.
 
“New York Corrections Holding,” a voice boredly stated.
 
“Yeah, this is Detective Dee Laytner, I need to speak on a secured line with one of your prisoners, Thomas Frate.”
 
“Please hold officer.”
 
Dee glanced around his apartment as he waited, wondering how Tommy was doing.
 
“Officer? Please wait for transfer to prisoner Frate.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
Another click in his ear and then Tommy's angry voice.
 
“What the fuck? You pigs keep calling me, I'm going to fucking break out of here just to get some peace and quiet.”
 
“Jesus Tommy, calm the fuck down.”
 
“Dee? Hey Dee! How's it going?”
 
Dee chuckled quietly. “I'm up to my eyeballs in shit again.”
 
“Yeah? Hey, I'm out next month. We on for drinks?”
 
“Do I ever turn old friends down?”
 
“Not even old convict friends?”
 
“Tommy, has that ever mattered to me?”
 
“No. That's probably why you're still one of my best friends, Dee,” there was a quiet pause and he heard Tommy sigh. “You're calling about that cop thing, aren't you?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“I'm surprised I didn't hear from you sooner, I mean, shit, that Detective MacLean was involved again.”
 
Dee blinked in surprise.
 
“Huh?”
 
Tommy howled with laughter.
 
“I know you Dee. I saw the guy's picture. I bet you thanked god for a week straight after you two got partnered up.”
 
“I still do everyday.”
 
“What? Holy shit, Dee Laytner's in love.”
 
“It happens to the best of us.”
 
“Well then I'm really surprised it took you this long to call.”
 
“There's been interference from the higher ups.”
 
“Bastards,” Tommy said flatly.
 
Dee chuckled. “You have no idea. What can you tell me?”
 
“Shit Dee. You know, in here, when some cop almost gets nailed there's just about a fuckin' party. When we heard about it, one of the guys I know said that there'd be some serious trouble for everybody outside now. I mean, hell, you guys always crack down after something like that…understandably, of course.”
 
“Of course.”
 
Dee chuckled and Tommy continued.
 
“Anyway, this young punk ass kid starts talking and he says that the only people who are going to get trouble out of this are the guys who missed that cop. He starts going off about how whoever botched that job is going to be in deep shit because somebody up on the food chain really wants MacLean dead.”
 
“Oh yeah? What's this punk ass's name?”
 
“Jerry, Jerry Tinota. He's out now, some high priced lawyer sprung him two days ago. Look Dee, I just want to give you a warning, from me to you man, this kid had the fucking devil himself watching over him. He never said exactly what he was connected to, but whatever it is, it's swinging some serious weight in the under world now. Nobody else knew anything about him or where he came from, but they were all a little nervous about the connections he already had in place. Somebody's going to shake things up Dee.”
 
Dee took a long drag from his cigarette and sighed.
 
“Anything else?”
 
“Watch your back, man. I smelled dirty cop on that kid.”
 
“How so?”
 
“Don't know, I can't say for sure what it was. It just seemed like he was a little too in-tune with what was happening out there. And the kid got information that I couldn't pull with a few thousand dollars in my hands. I don't know. Just be careful.”
 
“Alright, thanks Tommy. When are you out again?”
 
“The thirteenth, lucky, lucky day.”
 
Dee laughed. “We'll meet at the usual spot, huh? About…shit, let's say six.”
 
“Sounds good. You gonna bring your partner?”
 
“Maybe.”
 
“You worried he won't like your bad element friends?” Tommy teased.
 
“Fuck no. The guy all but screams `cop.' I'm afraid to bring him into any of the bars we usually go to.”
 
Tommy laughed and sighed.
 
“Well, then at some point you'll have to actually take me someplace nice so I can meet him.”
 
“Deal. Thanks again. Hey, about…”
 
“No.”
 
Dee's mouth thinned and he sighed.
 
“Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't ask.”
 
“Nope. Never ask about that, you don't want to know, man.”
 
“I'll see you on the thirteenth.”
 
“Great. Bye Dee.”
 
“Bye Tommy.”
 
Dee sighed as he hung up and leaned back against the couch. Jerry Tinota. It was a start. He closed his eyes for a moment and picked up the phone again, the night stretching out as he called around to every contact or half-contact he had made in his life. He scribbled notes as they talked, a few fishing for some information from him, but he managed to avoid telling much of anything. Not that he had shit to tell. By the end of the night, Jerry Tinota was the only elusive lead he had, and he was a damn shivery one too.
 
 
Ryo was not released the next day.
 
“Come on,” Dee said impatiently to the doctor as they spoke in the hall. “Just let him go home already, he hates it here.”
 
“Sorry Detective. Your partner had surgery, minor yes, but surgery nonetheless and it's hospital policy not to release anyone after they've been operated on if they're running a fever. Detective MacLean has been running a low-grade one for the past few days. We cannot release him, and we will not release him.”
 
“Can't he sign a waver or something?”
 
“I'm sorry, this is just the way it is.”
 
“Shit. He's not sleeping, he barely eats, he's miserable and bored all day, that'd be enough to make me sick.”
 
“Again, I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do. We'll take his temperature again tomorrow and if it's normal, we'll send him home.”
 
Dee sighed heavily and ran a hand through his hair.
 
“Hey, I've got a few things that I need to take care of this evening, but if I came back later, could I…stay…with him? Just for the night,” he added hastily.
 
The doctor's mouth thinned.
 
“That's not hospital policy,” he sighed and shrugged. “I can't make any promises, but I'll see what I can do. The nurses have been commenting on his sleeping habits, a few are pressing for medicating him.”
 
“He won't do it,” Dee said flatly. “I'm going to go in and see him for a few minutes, but I'll be back tonight. Thanks, doc.”
 
“I'm not sure what I'll manage,” the doctor said again. “I'll try.”
 
“That's good enough for me,” Dee said with a grin.
 
Ryo looked miserable. He glanced up at Dee dejectedly and Dee tried to smile warmly.
 
“Hey Ryo.”
 
“Hi,” Ryo muttered.
 
Dee sat down on the edge of his bed and lightly brushed some of the brown hair back, his hand gentle and soft. Ryo sighed and pulled back, his eyes determinedly not meeting Dee's.
 
“I guess you heard,” he said flatly.
 
“Yeah,” Dee said, his voice as soft as his touch had been. “Maybe tomorrow.”
 
“Or next week,” Ryo said a little bitterly. “I hate this place!”
 
“It's okay Ryo,” Dee said and then tried to smile again. “I've got a lead to check out. Jerry Tinota. He's supposedly connected to something big, but everybody's too nervous to talk about it.”
 
“Great,” Ryo muttered.
 
“Hey,” Dee tugged at his chin until Ryo faced him. “It's okay, it'll be alright.”
 
Ryo sighed, but barely looked at Dee. Dee's mouth thinned a little and he waited.
 
“Is JJ back at work yet?” Ryo asked finally.
 
“Yeah,” Dee shrugged. “You'd be amazed how fast he's moving around with that crutch.”
 
“Figures,” Ryo said glumly. “He took a pipe through the leg and he's back on the job already.”
 
Dee stared at him with angry shock.
 
“Ryo, you got shot in the chest.”
 
“It barely hit me,” Ryo snapped back.
 
“What!”
 
Dee leapt off the bed and shook his head as he paced a little through the room. He couldn't help the bitter hurt that raced through him. He stared at Ryo, ready to actually yell at him, ready to scream at his beautiful Ryo with every breath he could draw.
 
“You can't really be this stupid,” Dee snapped.
 
Ryo's mouth thinned and he stared at Dee, waiting.
 
“Fuck, Ryo,” Dee said, his voice filled with barely controlled rage. “Do you have any idea what you did to me? How much you scared me? You got shot.”
 
“I'm fine, Dee.”
 
“This time.”
 
Silence filled the room and Dee shook his head as he sighed.
 
“You're fine this time,” Dee said softer.
 
Ryo opened his arms and Dee hesitantly stepped forward, bending down to allow Ryo to hold him. His body shook with all the emotions he had been holding in so tightly as Ryo's cool hands gently slid across his neck and back. Soft words were whispered in his ear, gentle comforting that somehow made all of this worse. His Ryo. His Ryo, someone wanted to kill his Ryo. It had happened before, Ryo seemed to just attract psychos, so why was it so hard this time? Why was Dee so sure he was going to lose his Ryo? Why did he have to keep seeing Ryo covered in blood like that? Why couldn't he get it out of his head?
 
“It's okay,” Ryo murmured. “Shh, Dee, it's okay.”
 
“It's not okay, nothing about this is okay. I hate that you love your fucking job so much, and I hate that I love my fucking job so much, and I hate that our fucking jobs are so fucking dangerous.”
 
Ryo's hands tightened a little on his back and he lightly kissed Dee's ear.
 
“I'll be back soon. I'll watch out for you.”
 
“Jesus,” Dee said, his voice muffled against Ryo's neck. “I can't believe we have to have this talk again.”
 
Ryo frowned slightly and Dee pulled back, his hands firmly pressing against Ryo's face and holding his gaze steady.
 
“You, Ryo MacLean, need to think of yourself. Stop worrying about us so much. We'll be fine. You are to concentrate on nothing but getting well until you are completely healed. No arguments.”
 
“Dee…”
 
“I just said no arguments. Fight me on this and I'll freeze you out.”
 
Ryo couldn't help the snort of laughter that escaped him. The thought of Dee denying him sex was just too implausible. Dee leaned forward and lightly kissed his forehead.
 
“I've got to go for a while, but I'll come back later, I promise.”
 
Ryo nodded and Dee looked down into the dark pools once more.
 
“I meant it. You get better,” he grinned suddenly. “However, you are damn hot in that little hospital gown. Think you can bring it home with you?”
 
Ryo blushed, his mouth sliding open in surprise and Dee took quick advantage. He kissed Ryo firmly, deeply, pressing hotly against every surface his tongue could find. He smiled and patted Ryo's cheek.
 
“Thanks for the yummy meal.”
 
Ryo laughed loudly. “You haven't said that for a while.”
 
Dee shrugged and headed for the door. No, he hadn't said it for a while, but it got just the response he had been hoping for; a happy Ryo.
 
“Love you Ryo.”
 
“Love you Dee.”
 
 
Dee irritably tried to pick his way through the mountain of files that had consumed his desk. Ryo was going to kill him when he came back, and Dee sighed; he really should do some of this paperwork. He grinned then, but not now. He finally found the papers he was looking for and flipped them open, organizing his notes from the night before as he flipped the computer on.
 
“I didn't expect to see you here today,” Rose said as he entered the cluttered office.
 
Dee's mouth thinned irritably.
 
“Ryo didn't get released, so I'm working today so you can't dock my pay when he does get out.”
 
You asshole, Dee added in his mind. Rose smiled coldly at him.
 
“And just what are you working on?”
 
“What do you think?” he smacked the computer monitor angrily. “Work you piece of shit.”
 
“Be careful with the equipment, Detective,” Rose said, pushing him back. “It's worth more than you are. What are you trying to find?”
 
Dee frowned and drummed his fingers on Ryo's still clear desk. He really didn't want to have Rose around for this, he wanted to do it on his own, but then again…As much as he hated Berkeley Rose, as much as he despised the Commissioner's low tactics and attempts to get a hold of Ryo, the man was a damn good cop.
 
“Well?”
 
“I'm looking for information on Jerry Tinota,” Dee said finally. “He's about the only lead I have right now.”
 
Rose nodded a little and his fingers flew over the keyboard with the same practiced ease that Ryo's did. The computer hummed and whirred and a screen finally popped up. Rose sighed and leaned back as he and Dee began to read.
 
“This guy's record has been cleared more times than…shit…who is this guy?”
 
Jerry Tinota, his face a pale brown, stared blankly back at them and didn't offer any answers. There were all the earmarks of a file that had been bargained for, convictions overturned, probation assigned, records expunged and cleared. Rose shook his head.
 
“Where did you get this kid's name?”
 
“A source.”
 
Rose glanced over at him and Dee shrugged.
 
“A reliable source,” Dee said. “If that makes you feel any better.”
 
“There's nothing here,” Rose said. “No notes from any cops about the guy. No known aliases, no known associates, nothing.”
 
“Kind of suspicious, isn't it?”
 
 
Dee impatiently drummed his fingers on his coffee table as he stared at the phone. It was after five. Where the fuck was Alicia's promised call? He had sent Bikky out to get some dinner for the two of them, but the kid would be back any time now, and Dee really didn't want him to overhear anything. He lit a cigarette and as the lighter clicked off the flame, the phone rang.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hello Dee. Well, I've got a little information for you, but you're not going to like it.”
 
“Just give me what you've got Alicia.”
 
“First of all, I'm leaving town.”
 
Dee blinked.
 
“What?”
 
She chuckled quietly. “Something big is going down, something that I don't want to be around for. I'm not involved, Detective, whatever happens, I won't be there for it.”
 
“I see. So then I don't need to warn you that a shake-up's coming?”
 
“Remarkable. Where did you pick that up?”
 
“I have other sources Alicia. What else?”
 
“I'd look closely at Makkel and Vones and their silent partner, some business man from upstate. They've been moving a lot of money around lately, and it looks like they're getting ready for something.”
 
“Any idea of what that is?”
 
“I'd say they're going to try and take over around New York, but I don't think they're going to succeed. I'm afraid that I let my fears slip around a few of the other bosses and if Makkel and Vones are smart, they're making the same retreat that I am.”
 
“What does all this have to do with Ryo?”
 
“You really are in love with him, aren't you? I would never have thought you his type, you're too…fiery…Anyway, something about your partner has Makkel and Vones angry, and they're after him. What'd you guys do? Bust them?”
 
“We're not working in organized crime,” Dee said flatly. “I barely even know the guys, and Ryo's only met them once.”
 
“I see. He must have made quite an impression. Listen Dee, they're playing this very close to the vest, I could barely get that much information.”
 
“Anything else?”
 
“Hmm, if I were you, I'd start looking a little more closely at where the city's major drug line is running. Of course, it's impossible to find if you don't know where to look, those, all those streets and alleys, empty buildings, and those docks are huge, you'd practically need an army to search anything out.”
 
Dee grinned and nodded. Yeah, he got her message.
 
“I know what you mean,” he said.
 
“Well that's about everything Detective. Tell Ryo I said hi.”
 
“I will. Thanks Alicia.”
 
“You're welcome, oh, and Dee?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Don't call me again.”
 
 
Dee smiled at the nurse as she helped him push the rollaway bed into the room, Ryo watching with a slight frown on his face. The nurse smiled at them both and left, her eyes flickering warmly over Ryo as the door slid shut.
 
“What's this about?” Ryo asked finally.
 
“I'm staying here tonight,” Dee said and then shook his head at the folded up cot. “Like I'd ever sleep on that thing.”
 
He moved to the bed and lightly pushed against Ryo.
 
“Shove over.”
 
Ryo rolled onto his side and scooted over, Dee clambering into the bed behind him, his arm draping lightly around Ryo as he brushed his face through the soft brown hair. Dee sighed happily and flipped the lights off, his arm tightening a little around Ryo.
 
“Dee, I don't know about this. The nurses do checks and…”
 
“Alright.”
 
He started to pull away, a little disappointed, his back grumbling about the wonderful night he was sure to have on the springy cot. But then Ryo's arms locked around his and held it tightly to his chest.
 
“No…wait…” Ryo bit his lip and closed his eyes. “I'm sorry. I want you to stay. It's just…habit, I guess.”
 
Dee chuckled and leaned back to Ryo and lightly kissed his cheek.
 
“It's okay.”
 
Ryo continued to hold his hand, his eyes slipping half closed as he felt Dee's gentle breathing tickle across his neck. He actually felt like he could sleep now and Ryo smiled slightly as his eyes slid closed.
 
“Good night, Dee.”
 
“Good night.”
 
Dee's arm tightened around him again and he closed his own eyes, amazed at how quickly he was falling asleep. It just felt so right to sleep with Ryo in his arms.
 
 
The nurse peered in at one and sighed with disappointment as she saw them spooned tightly together.
 
Figures.
 
 
Dee blinked thickly as he heard Ryo's voice, his sleep befuddled brain trying to understand what was happening. He was still holding Ryo, it was still dark, he was still tired…what the hell?
 
“Please stop,” Ryo whispered.
 
Dee frowned and sat up a little, one hand flipping on one of the lights by the bed, his frown darkening with worry as he watched Ryo shiver in fear.
 
“Ryo?” he said softly.
 
Ryo's body jerked sharply then, and one hand shot out, slamming hard into the bed rail. His dark brown eyes flew open at that as he winced in pain and then he blinked and irritably raised the hand to shield his eyes from the light.
 
“Dee?”
 
“Ryo, what's wrong?”
 
“Nothing. Just a dream, I guess.”
 
“No Ryo, don't lie. What did you dream about?”
 
“I don't--”
 
“Didn't I just say not to lie?”
 
Ryo's mouth thinned with annoyance and he shrugged.
 
“Sorry.”
 
“Ryo, whatever this dream is, I can't do anything about it if you don't talk to me. What is it? What's got you so scared? You talk in your sleep, you all but hit me, you shake…what is it?”
 
“Can we not talk about this now?”
 
“Ryo…”
 
“I just mean can it wait a little while? Till we're out of here?”
 
Ryo blinked up at him and Dee sighed as he gave in. He flipped the light off and wrapped himself back around Ryo.
 
“Alright, just go back to sleep. I won't let anything happen to you.”
 
Ryo closed his eyes lightly.
 
That wasn't what he was afraid of.
 
 
“Ryo, wake up. The nurse wants to take your temperature.”
 
Ryo blinked slowly and looked groggily around. He had actually slept late, had actually overslept. Dee grinned at him, knowing his partner's thoughts and then glanced over at the nurse.
 
“Some people are never up on time.”
 
Ryo shot Dee an irritable glare and sat up, his mouth dropping open as the nurse inserted the thermometer. Please, please, please, Dee and Ryo thought. She pulled it free and glanced down at it, sighing a little as she looked back up at Ryo.
 
“I hope you enjoyed your stay, because we're going to kick you out today.”
 
Ryo grinned.
 
 
“Oh my God.”
 
Ryo stared around Dee's apartment in complete shock, his mouth hanging open with disbelief. Dee peered over his shoulder and chuckled quietly.
 
“It's actually clean,” Ryo said finally as he came inside.
 
Dee's normally cluttered apartment had been scrubbed from one end to the other. Everything had been swept and dusted, all the clutter carefully hidden or gotten rid of. There were no beer cans, old newspapers, or scattered cigarette butts. The place practically glowed.
 
“Bikky and I knew that you wouldn't be able to sit still if we left it like it was, soooooo,” Dee grinned and swept an arm around him. “We cleaned up.”
 
“Who cleaned up?” Carol said as she came out of the kitchen, Bikky trailing after her.
 
“Carol supervised,” Dee said with a laugh. “She told us everything that needed to be cleaned. She even made us take down the light fixtures and empty them out. What kind of freak would worry about the dirt in a light fixture?”
 
Ryo blushed slightly and Carol laughed.
 
“How are you feeling Ryo?”
 
“Pretty good,” he said. “My face actually hurts more than my chest.”
 
The dark bruise from the shooting range bombing was gradually disappearing, but a red streak had joined it, a new bruise radiating out from it. The bullet wound throbbed a little sometimes and Ryo absently touched it. His hands and chest had been spattered with shrapnel from the exploding rifle and now looked like an angry cat had attacked him. His face had largely been shielded from it, and the tinted glasses had protected his eyes from any injury. The only bandage he wore was a small square that covered the healing bullet wound in his chest, which his doctors had informed him would probably leave a small scar.
 
He smiled at them as Bikky grabbed his hand and drug him around the apartment, showing Ryo all the cleaning and hard work that he had done. Ryo oo'd and aw'd at it all and flashed Dee a few amused smiles.
 
Finally, Ryo was allowed to sit down and Carol and Bikky darted into the kitchen to bring him some tea. Dee leaned against the daybed in front of the window and smiled down at him.
 
“You happy?”
 
“Thrilled,” Ryo said smiling and pulled Dee down into a quick kiss. “Thanks.”
 
“No problem.”
 
 
“Lay on your stomach,” Dee commanded.
 
Ryo climbed onto the bed and stretched out, Dee quickly straddling his waist, both shirtless, both smiling a little at the slow contact. Dee began to lightly massage Ryo's shoulders, rubbing and pressing over them as he worked his way down. Ryo moaned happily and began to relax more and more, his arms becoming limp and his body warm. Dee pressed harder, his hands deftly working over knots and sore muscles, lightly tugging and pulling as Ryo felt all the tightness within his body begin to disappear.
 
“You like that?” Dee asked huskily.
 
“Yes,” Ryo breathed.
 
“Good.”
 
Light kisses began to pepper across Ryo's back as Dee's hands continued, dipping lower and lower down Ryo's back. Strong fingers pressed into his skin and Ryo moaned again, his body pressing deeper into the bed as he sighed with contentment. Dee gently sucked at Ryo's neck, causing Ryo's eyes to flutter a little as he bowed his head to give Dee more access. Now the massage became gentler, soft caresses that lightly passed over Ryo's skin. Dee began to lightly thrust against Ryo's hips, and the pale man gasped with pleasure.
 
“I love you,” Dee whispered as he gently licked Ryo's ear. “I love you, I love you, I love you.”
 
Ryo shivered, his breath slipping out in a long wavering sigh. He didn't want this to stop, he wanted it to go on, faster, further. Dee's hands slid down to his sides and pressed against them harder, sliding lower beneath the waistband of his pants. Ryo moaned again and Dee began to pant a little. He didn't know if he could take this much longer.
 
“I love you,” Ryo moaned. “Oh Dee…”
 
The phone blared loudly.
 
“Son of a bitch!”