Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act IV, Disappearances and Reunions ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I do not own FAKE. I am not Sanami Matoh. I am penniless and have nothing worth suing for. This Fanfic is set after (surprise, surprise) ACT III: Pistols and Passion. You may want to read the other ones before you get started, but if you don't feel like it, that's up to you.
Reviews are always welcome, flame me if you like, but I will just point and laugh.
Special thanks to those great people who e-mailed me and gave my ego a nice little stroke. Hope you like it!
 
 
Dee shook off the rain from his coat as he hesitated outside of Ryo's apartment, one hand quickly running through his hair. Damn he hated working when Ryo wasn't there. It sucked. Not only did he have to spend all of his time doing their paperwork, but he couldn't help but imagine all the passes Rose was making at his Ryo.
 
The apartment was dark and quiet as Dee entered, quickly shedding his drenched coat and shoes. The thunder grumbled overhead and he glanced out the window. He hoped that Bikky was having fun with Carol, their weekly sleep over all but tradition now. Dee smiled as he pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge. Carol's aunt could probably start charging Bikky rent for all the time the boy spent over there.
 
He tugged at his tie as he drank and headed towards the bedroom, the smile softening at the thin crack of light at the bottom of the door. He opened it, and the smile grew even softer as he stared down at Ryo's sleeping form. His beautiful Ryo had obviously been waiting up for him, but had lost his battle with sleep. The dark glasses were still in place, a thick book open across Ryo's bare chest, the reading lamp next to him shining brightly on his fine features.
 
Dee gently slid the book out of Ryo's limp hand and carefully marked the page. He lifted the glasses just as softly and set them down on Ryo's half-finished novel. Ryo shifted a little but didn't wake, a sigh escaping him as Dee ran a hand through his hair.
 
Dee headed into their bathroom and quietly began to get ready for bed, running a towel through his hair as he stripped out of his work clothes and pulled on some sweats and a tee-shirt. He began to brush his teeth and smiled again around the thick foam.
 
And you didn't even ask my permission!
 
He had kissed Ryo that first time largely on impulse. The lust he felt for the brown haired man coupled with his curiosity had caused him to push forward. It had been a light kiss, soft and hesitant, but he had felt something immediately. From that moment, the chase was on.
 
At first it had been a game, a way to keep him occupied and to keep his straight laced partner on his toes. Dee liked to make Ryo blush, he enjoyed flustering the man and making him sputter and shake. It had been hilarious, but as time passed…
 
Dee spit into the sink and rinsed his mouth out, stretching as he stared at himself in the mirror. Yes, as time passed, it became so much more. He started to miss the feel of Ryo's lips, and he wanted more than anything for Ryo to kiss him back, for Ryo lean into his embraces. It became his only wish. And then, when Ryo began to allow Dee to deepen their kisses, he hadn't found himself sated at all. He wanted more.
 
Dee looked out into the bedroom at the form of his sleeping lover and smiled. There had been so many times that he had been so tempted to just rip the man's clothes off and jump him anywhere. He imagined the feel of Ryo's body, the sound of his moans and pleading whispers, he dreamt of warm hands tracing over him, pulling him closer. And he knew that Ryo was the only one he wanted.
 
His desire had burned him, filled him with such a fire that he was sure he would die if Ryo didn't touch him. He chased after his partner relentlessly, even finagling his way into following Ryo to England. Things had been close there, so very close, and Dee felt like he was ready to explode. They returned to America with Dee even more passionate about his partner, and even more determined to have him. He started cornering Ryo around every bend, pushing things further and further, set on taking what he wanted.
 
Then Ryo would do something so naïve, like not fight Dee's advances, like become jealous over him, like ask for a kiss, and Dee would be certain he was going to die. He had been wrong. He didn't just want to sleep with Ryo MacLean, he wanted to love him and be loved by him. That was what he wanted, that was what he desired more than anything else. He wanted Ryo to want him.
 
Dee walked quietly across the room, his gaze never leaving Ryo as he climbed into the bed and slid up close, his head resting against Ryo's shoulder. Yes, he found himself in love with Ryo MacLean, and he closed his eyes gently.
 
I love you dumbass!
 
He had said it to Ryo a million times before then, but it wasn't until then that Dee was certain that Ryo knew it was absolutely true. Dee didn't want a quick lay or a few random screws. This wasn't an infatuation that would pass the morning after. He was madly in love with his partner. He wanted Ryo, all of him, forever. It had taken his refusal to sleep with Ryo to clear everything up, and his heart began to pound loudly in his ears. He longed to be close to Ryo, in every sense, and was lonely when his partner wasn't by his side.
 
Dee ran his hand lightly up and down Ryo's chest, chuckling as Ryo squirmed a little under the touch. He had learned early on that Ryo was a little ticklish, and it always brought a smile to Dee's face to gently tease him about it. His touch grew firmer, now a soft caress as he traced over the smooth skin and muscle.
 
It had taken so long for them to get this far, so long for Ryo to finally say it, to finally tell Dee how he felt. Dee smiled and lightly played his fingers over Ryo's nipples. Ryo moaned and shifted a little, still asleep, his hands opening and closing as Dee softly kissed at his warm neck. Ryo moaned louder and Dee traced his hands down the smooth chest, a wolfish smile on his face as Ryo's body arched into his touch. Dee licked at Ryo's neck, and he felt Ryo's pulse race against his tongue. He quickly lay down again and draped one arm across Ryo, listening as Ryo's breathing changed.
 
“Dee?” he said groggily and rubbed at his eyes.
 
“Sorry,” Dee said. “Did I wake you?”
 
“It's alright.”
 
Dee had to fight to keep the grin from slipping back out. He could sense the hesitance in Ryo, his lover shifting a little. Dee knew Ryo was trying to figure out what to do next, what to say to Dee to…he glanced up in time to see Ryo blush darkly and he bit back on a chuckle.
 
“H-how was work?” Ryo asked finally.
 
“I missed you,” Dee said and gently kissed Ryo's shoulder.
 
Ryo pressed quickly against him and Dee was thrilled by the willing heat. He pretended not to notice and rested his head back against Ryo with a contented sigh.
 
“It was so dull,” he complained and tightened his hold around Ryo.
 
Ryo held in a little moan and closed his eyes, one hand gently running through Dee's hair. He didn't remember falling asleep, but he had just had the most amazing dream, it had been so real, and now, with Dee here…He felt himself blush again and his hand slid lower down Dee's back.
 
“What do you want to do tomorrow?” Dee asked, still pretending to be oblivious to Ryo's gentle touching and soft acquiescence to his light caresses.
 
He stroked his hand lightly across Ryo's side and felt him tense, his body shivering a little.
 
“I don't know,” Ryo whispered.
 
It was still rare for Ryo to initiate anything between them, but when he did…Dee bit his tongue to keep focused and lightly sighed against Ryo's shoulder, his breath puffing coolly over Ryo's chest. Ryo shivered again and Dee playfully rubbed at his skin.
 
“Sorry,” he said. “Are you cold?”
 
Ryo moaned now and Dee glanced up as Ryo's eyes closed tightly, the thick blush still on his face. Ryo's eyes opened and he stared at Dee, suddenly a little embarrassed at how aroused he was by just that light touch, but he couldn't just ignore it.
 
“Dee,” he said softly, his voice hesitant. “Could we…”
 
His voice cut off and Ryo blinked the blush darkening as he still stared at Dee. Dee frowned and rested his chin against Ryo's shoulder, carefully still pretending to be ignorant of what Ryo wanted. He was really enjoying this.
 
“Could we what?” he asked, trying to look confused.
 
“Could we…”
 
Ryo was so vibrantly red, his eyes still determinedly meeting Dee's.
 
“Could we…you know…”
 
Dee frowned. “What?”
 
He was really, really, enjoying this. He couldn't help himself.
 
Ryo shifted and slid down into the bed, Dee still staring at him blankly. Ryo wrapped his arms around Dee and gently kissed his neck, his tongue sliding out to caress over the skin. He couldn't say it, but he could show Dee what he wanted. Dee closed his eyes and leaned his head back, Ryo's hands tangling into his hair as he thrust his hips against Dee.
 
“Oh,” Dee breathed. “Is that what you want?”
 
He felt Ryo nod and Dee chuckled. Ryo sucked lightly at his Adam's apple and tugged at Dee's shirt, Dee lifting up a little to help him pull it off. Now Ryo began to lick across his collar bones, hands dragging free from Dee's hair and sliding down to his lower back. They massaged into the skin and Dee closed his eyes and nuzzled his face into Ryo's hair.
 
Ryo felt his skin grow warm and pink with a blush. He couldn't help it, it happened every time he and Dee touched. He just got so excited, and he loved it so much. He pulled Dee closer, and sucked at his neck, Dee's hands playing over his back now as Ryo rubbed against him. Dee moaned and nipped at Ryo's ear, his hands dipping lower and sliding beneath Ryo's pants. Ryo rewarded him with a stifled cry and Dee gently bit into Ryo's shoulder.
 
“Let's spend the day in bed,” Dee whispered as he gently rolled on top of Ryo, his hands lightly brushing back tangled hair. “We can do this all day…”
 
Ryo's mouth slid open slightly, his cheeks darkening again, but he nodded a little. Dee smiled and kissed Ryo's forehead. Dee sighed and laid gently on top of Ryo, enjoying this warm calm, his hands sliding down to press at Ryo's sides. Ryo. His Ryo, the only one he had ever loved like this, the only one who had ever loved him like this. His Ryo.
 
Dee smiled and kissed Ryo's neck, the hands on his back tightening immediately.
 
“Dee…”
 
Dee shivered at the open need in Ryo's voice and he rolled his hips against Ryo's. Ryo moaned loudly and Dee closed his eyes. He'd have to remember to wake Ryo up with a little caressing more often.
 
The sharp ringing of the phone broke his concentration.
 
“Should we ignore it?” Dee whispered.
 
“Does that ever work?” Ryo sighed.
 
Dee slid off of Ryo and picked up the phone, his eyes closing as he tried to calm himself down.
 
“Hello?” Dee irritably waited. “What? Hey Tommy…Hey I was there man, you're the one who…Yeah...Can this wait until…Okay, no don't worry about it…Where?...Okay, I'm on my way. Yeah. See you in a few.”
 
Dee hung up and stared down at Ryo, lightly running his hands through Ryo's hair.
 
“I've got to go,” he said softly. “It's important, an old friend.”
 
Ryo nodded, a little disappointed, but he knew it would have to be damn important for Dee to pass on a night alone with him. Dee sighed and got up, quickly getting dressed again and retrieving his gun. He returned to the bed for a long slow kiss, lingering a moment longer as he softly caressed Ryo's face.
 
“We still on for tomorrow?” he asked.
 
Ryo blushed but nodded. Dee grinned.
 
 
Dee lit another cigarette as he leaned against the light post and stared out over the empty street. Where in the hell was Tommy? If he had known that the bastard was going to set him up again, he wouldn't have bothered to break things off with Ryo.
 
Damn. He pulled his jacket a little closer around his body and looked up at the flat sky overhead. It was going to get cold soon. That meant snow, and ice, and blizzards, and frostbite, and long walks when Ryo might let Dee wrap his arms around him.
 
Dee chuckled. Winter did have a few redeeming qualities.
 
“Dee!”
 
Dee glanced up and frowned darkly as Tommy sprinted over to him, panting a little as he bent over.
 
“Shit,” Dee snapped. “You're late. You know, I do have other things going on in my life than wasting all my time waiting on you.”
 
“Shut up,” Tommy roared. “Look, take this. Get it to whoever.”
 
He shoved a wrinkled manila envelope in Dee's hands and then looked up and down the street.
 
“Get out of here, now. I was supposed to meet with the cops next week, but these guys have got me pegged. I'll see you around Dee.”
 
Tommy jammed his hands in his pockets and started to stroll away but Dee yanked him sharply back.
 
“What the fuck is going on?”
 
“Get going,” Tommy hissed. “Jesus Christ, they're going to spot you, you dumb shit. Just get that to your offices.”
 
A car squealed down the street, its headlights bearing down on them as it raced forward. Dee's eyes widened as it accelerated and Tommy shoved him back.
 
“Get your ass in gear!” Tommy yelled and took off down the street.
 
Dee cursed and ran into the darkness, his breath soon loud in his ears. He ran for what felt like forever, the streets mazing into alleys and dark corners. He finally stopped and leaned against a building, one hand wiping away the sweat that clung to his face. He stared down at the battered envelope he held and frowned as he began to slide it open. Dee froze and took off into the night again.
 
He heard running footsteps closely following.
 
 
Ryo woke up and stretched. He had actually slept late, well, later, and now he felt his stomach rumble a little. He had better get some food fast before Dee made good on their plans. Ryo chuckled and rolled over to wake Dee, the smile on his face freezing as he stared at the empty bed. He got up and padded out into the kitchen, the apartment quiet and still as he looked around. No Dee on the couch, no Dee in Bikky's room (not surprising there).
 
Ryo's frown darkened but he tried to shrug his discomfort off. Things had run late with Dee's friend, or maybe they crashed somewhere else. Dee did things like that sometimes, although he usually called to let Ryo know not to expect him.
 
The phone rang.
 
Ryo chuckled as he picked it up, ready for the long apology that he knew was going to spew forth.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Detective MacLean?”
 
“Good morning Commissioner,” Ryo said with confusion.
 
“Good morning Ryo,” Rose answered. “Is Laytner there with you?”
 
“No sir.”
 
A long silence stretched out and then Rose sighed into Ryo's ear.
 
“I think you had better get down here Ryo.”
 
 
Ryo looked around the scene with a pale frown, his hands hidden in his pockets as he peered down at the bloody corpse. Double tap to the back of the head. Looked professional.
 
“Ryo.”
 
Ryo turned as Rose stepped to his side, the Commissioner impeccably dressed and stern looking.
 
“What's going on sir?”
 
“We found this on the body,” Rose said and held out an evidence bag.
 
Inside was a scrap of paper with his phone number on it under Dee's name. Ryo frowned and glanced over at the man again, his mind suddenly blaring a warning. Shit. He should have known something was wrong.
 
“Do you know where your partner is?”
 
Ryo continued to stare down at the body, his mind working over everything that had happened last night. Dee had gotten a phone call, but what the hell had the guy said to get him out here? His mouth thinned as he tried to remember all of the one-sided conversation he had overheard.
 
“Ryo,” Rose rested a hand on his shoulder. “Do you know where Laytner is?”
 
“No sir,” Ryo said flatly. “I haven't seen him since last night.”
 
“Is that…”
 
“No, it's not normal for him,” Ryo said. “He usually calls if something comes up. He got a phone call at around one this morning and he left to meet someone,” Ryo closed his eyes as he concentrated again. “A friend of his named Tommy I think.”
 
“Did he say anything else?”
 
“No,” Ryo answered.
 
“Sir,” a short officer handed Rose a wallet and the Commissioner flipped it open.
 
“Thomas Frate,” Rose said.
 
Ryo felt his body freeze.
 
 
The precinct held the same dull buzz it always did, files passing around, computer keys clacking, voices yelling over each other. Ryo walked numbly through it all and entered the small office he shared with Dee. Part of him looked around hopefully, expecting some sign from his partner that would tell him he was fine and not to worry. There was nothing.
 
He sighed and picked up his phone, calling home first to let Bikky know where he was and to leave instructions to have Dee call the moment he showed up. Bikky snapped back a couple of insults, but seemed genuinely concerned when Ryo explained a little more.
 
“He probably just got drunk and is sleeping it off at his apartment,” Bikky said. “Have you checked there?”
 
“No, not yet,” Ryo said with a chuckle. “Just keep an eye out for him.”
 
Ryo dialed Dee's cell phone next and was immediately connected to his voicemail. It figured that Dee wouldn't have the damn thing on. Ryo sighed and tried Dee's apartment. The phone rang for almost five minutes before Ryo gave up.
 
He drummed his fingers on his desk and stared outside.
 
Where are you Dee?
 
 
Ryo quietly entered the 27th the next morning, his eyes a little tired from the restless night. There had still been no word from Dee, and Ryo couldn't explain why he was so worried. Dee was a grown man who could take care of himself, but the fact that he had disappeared so completely had Ryo concerned. He sighed and wiped a hand across his face.
 
“Ryo!”
 
Drake jogged towards him and handed Ryo a slip of paper.
 
“Rose wants you to meet him here.”
 
“What for?” Ryo said tiredly.
 
“I don't know. You want me to drive you? You look like shit.”
 
“Thanks Drake,” Ryo said sarcastically. “I think I can manage.”
 
 
Contrary to popular belief, Ryo MacLean could drive. He actually enjoyed driving. He just didn't care much for city driving. Ryo sighed and forced his way into another lane, frowning as a hand shot out of a car behind him and flipped him off. This was such a great way to start his shift off.
 
Not only had Dee not bothered to call Ryo (he was trying to be annoyed instead of worried, not that it was working, but he was doing his best), but he hadn't even called work to let them know he wasn't coming in. Dee was completely incommunicado, and Ryo knew that he would probably catch it from the Chief when he returned to the station.
 
I am not my partner's keeper, he thought and smiled as he climbed out of the car.
 
Rose waved him over and a uniformed officer lifted the crime tape as Ryo ducked underneath. Rose stared at him and took a deep breath.
 
“Ryo, I need you to look at something, but I want to warn you…”
 
Ryo barely heard what Rose said next. His heart was suddenly pounding in his ears. This was it, this was the moment. Dee was dead. It had finally happened. He had known it was coming. He nodded numbly and then Rose's hand was pressed against his back and the Commissioner was leading him forward.
 
“Is this Dee's?”
 
Ryo blinked and stared down, the relief that flooded through him soon fading back into the constant worry. Dee's cell phone lay on the ground, a bullet hole shattering most of it into pieces. The only reason Ryo recognized it was the short gold keychain hanging from it; a gift from the Chief for Dee's birthday, a set of tiny handcuffs.
 
Ryo noticed everything in clear detail and his heart lurched with relief again. There was no blood.
 
“Yes, that's Dee's,” Ryo said distantly. “No wonder he hasn't been answering it.”
 
“Ryo?”
 
Rose rested a hand on his shoulder, cautiously searching the dark brown eyes. Ryo smiled tiredly at him.
 
“I'm fine, sir,” he said.
 
 
Ryo had never realized how tedious missing person's reports really were. He filled it out as best as he could, frowning as he listed off the places that Dee was most likely to show up at. It made his partner sound like an alcohol starved lunatic. Ryo smiled. He'd have to remember to tell Dee that later.
 
He handed the form off to another officer and answered all the questions they asked. He managed to smile and keep his composure, and they promised to call when they knew something.
 
Ryo thanked them and pulled back on his weary smile before he left for the night.
 
 
Ryo beamed at the small huddled form sleeping in his bed and gently pulled the covers tighter around Bikky. He slipped into his pajamas and climbed into the bed next to the boy. Bikky stirred.
 
“Dee?”
 
“Shh, no, it's just me. Go back to sleep.”
 
“He still hasn't come back, has he?”
 
“No.”
 
Bikky rolled over and lightly hugged Ryo.
 
“Do you think he's alright?”
 
Ryo ran a hand through Bikky's hair and sighed.
 
“I'm sure he's fine. Dee can take care of himself.”
 
A long moment of silence stretched out and then Bikky grunted.
 
“I'd never do this to you. That damn pervert is making you worry. What a jackass.”
 
“This coming from the boy who walks home in the dead of night through alleys that armed men would fear at high noon,” Ryo said with a smile.
 
Bikky laughed softly and Ryo tousled his hair.
 
“Don't worry Bikky, I'm sure he's fine.”
 
Bikky nodded and rolled away again, sprawling over most of the other side of the bed. Ryo chuckled quietly as he listened to Bikky drift to sleep. For all their bickering and name calling, Dee and Bikky really were close, and Ryo knew that regardless of what he said, Bikky would worry.
 
“I'm sure he's fine,” he whispered again, but he lay awake long into the night.