Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XII, Costumes and Bait ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh. I'm not making any money off of this. This is yaoi. Set in the FAKE in Love timeline. So sleepy, too sleepy to be clever…
 
“They're up to something,” JJ Adams said as he set the last bag of groceries down on the tidy counter, one arm still hanging practically useless next to his body. “I know it.”
“Well, maybe they are,” Tim Darrow said, not looking up from the food he was unpacking. “Is your birthday coming up?”
“It's January 23rd, and don't worry, I won't ever let you forget it,” JJ said and pecked Tim's cheek.
A small smile brushed across Tim's lips and he continued to restock his cabinets. JJ watched with a little satisfaction, secretly pleased that a few of his favorites had somehow made it onto Tim's grocery list. Caffeine free soda, chocolate covered pretzels, beef stew; all things that Tim absolutely refused to let pass his lips. JJ grinned and sat down on one of the stools that lined one counter.
“Do you think I'm being paranoid?” he asked.
“Just observant,” Tim said.
“Thanks,” JJ said with a smile. “I've got to make a phone call and check in with Drake. Don't start dinner without me, Stud.”
Tim chuckled quietly as the kitchen door swung shut. He couldn't help but wonder how in the hell he had gotten into this relationship. JJ wasn't his `type' at all. If anything, the blue haired sharpshooter was the exact opposite of what Tim looked for in a man. He was loud, brash, emotional, clingy, petulant, stubborn, and about a thousand other things that usually grated on Tim's nerves and left him ready to swear off men just as firmly as he had sworn off women twelve years ago. But there was something about JJ.
Tim liked the way it felt when JJ tackled him, a past time that had been somewhat diminished since JJ's injury. It was kind of fun to get such a quick surprise, and it always sent a thrill through him that went beyond adrenaline. And JJ was funny, and caring, and he worked so hard to make people happy. Tim liked that too, that devotion. JJ was loyal to his friends and Tim knew that JJ was loyal to him too.
He sounds like a puppy I picked up, Tim thought and chuckled again.
JJ was definitely cute too, and Tim certainly enjoyed stealing glances or openly staring at him. And he definitely liked holding him and covering him in kisses and caresses, JJ's eyes would glaze and he would become strangely calm, pressing close to Tim as they held each other. Tim paused and stared at the empty grocery bags.
There was just one step left, one thing they hadn't done yet.
Tim sighed and drummed his fingers on the counter. He wanted to, he was damn certain of that, but things with JJ were going so well. He didn't want to screw it up with sex, he didn't want to further complicate what was already a rather complex relationship. God knew they both had come into this thing with some serious baggage, not the least of which involved the dark haired Dee Laytner.
Tim sighed again and shook his head. He'd never tell JJ, but he couldn't help that flash of jealousy that sparked through him whenever Dee came up in conversation. JJ had made it perfectly clear that there was and never would be anything between them, but still…Tim glanced at the kitchen door. JJ had strong feelings about Dee, the fact that he was watching the man close enough to suspect that he was up to something made Tim…yes, there it was again, jealousy. He was jealous that JJ was keeping that close an eye on Dee Laytner.
“All done,” JJ said chipperly as he bounced back in through the kitchen door.
Tim's thoughts quickly adjusted. He liked that too, that incessant energy, that bounce in JJ's step. Tim smiled again; and the fact that JJ could alter his thoughts just by walking into a room.
“What?” JJ asked with a small frown.
“Nothing,” Tim said. “Should we open a can of that purported stew you enjoy so much?”
 
“The guy looks like a librarian,” Dee said. “That's probably what he does for the FBI.”
“Could be,” Drake said and shrugged.
The office door opened and Drake waved as Ryo sat down at his desk.
“What do you think Ryo?”
“About what?” Ryo asked.
“JJ's boyfriend, what do you think he does down at the FBI? I'm going to ask Diana tonight.”
Ryo's eyes darted between them and he sighed.
“You've got a bet going, don't you?”
“Just a little one,” Dee said with a grin. “Come on Ryo, make a bet.”
“I don't know him,” Ryo said absently as he started rifling through some of the paperwork on his desk.
“Neither do we,” Drake said and sighed. “That's the point Ryo. It's a guess.”
Ryo glanced up with an annoyed frown.
“What did you guess?”
“I said foreign language instructor,” Drake said. “Dee says librarian. Ted's got him pinned as office labor, and Erin's going with middle management.”
Ryo frowned. “None of those…”
He shrugged then and went back to digging through the papers. Drake sighed with exasperation.
“Damn Dee, do you have to put up with this all the time?”
“Yup,” Dee said brightly. “He hates to make stupid guesses. He always wants to check into everything, go and investigate.”
Ryo shot him an annoyed glare and Dee grinned back.
“Come on Ryo, take a chance.”
Ryo's mouth thinned and he sighed.
“Fine. Combat instructor.”
Dee and Drake stared at him and burst out laughing.
“What?” Drake finally choked out. “You think that bookworm teaches combat technique?”
“Yes,” Ryo said curtly. “I do. You can see it in the way he carries himself.”
Dee paused and nodded. “Yeah, the guy does move pretty gracefully. And he certainly knows how to take a hit.”
All three had witnessed JJ pouncing on Tim outside of the office a few days earlier. The FBI agent had taken it calmly in stride and hadn't flinched at all.
“Well, yeah,” Drake conceded. “I suppose. And he certainly knew a lot about JJ's rifle.”
Drake and Dee paused, both staring up as they thought.
“I want to change my guess,” Dee said. “I'm with Ryo. Combat instructor.”
“Yeah, I'm going with that too.”
“Then I say librarian,” Ryo said.
“What?” Dee snapped.
“You're both so unlucky you can't possibly be right,” Ryo said wryly.
“Screw you,” Drake said and held a hand out. “That's twenty bucks for your librarian guess, MacLean.”
 
“I still can't believe you managed it,” Ted said. “How in the hell did you and Ryo get Halloween off?”
“I asked,” Dee said smugly. “Plus, we've worked our asses off through most of our scheduled days off for the last two months.”
“Why should that matter?” Ted grumbled. “I always get screwed here. I have to work every fuckin' holiday.”
“Cry me a river,” Dee said. “Where the hell's Drake? I want my money.”
At that moment Drake walked into the lounge and shook his head.
“You won't believe this…”
 
The money dropped heavily onto Ryo's desk and he jumped, a startled look on his face as Dee glared down at him.
“What's this?” Ryo asked.
“The Tim Darrow Career Pool,” Dee said. “He's a librarian.”
“Really?” Ryo said as he thumbed through the money. “That's a surprise.”
Dee's lips pursed and he stormed to his desk, grumbling as he dug through his drawers and flung papers around. Ryo stared at him over the tops of his dark glasses and shook his head.
“What's your problem now?”
“I guessed librarian,” Dee growled. “I shouldn't have changed it.”
“Sorry.”
Dee leaned back in his seat and shook his head.
“He used to be a combat instructor,” Dee said flatly. “He helped train Diana when she first started, but he decided he liked books better.”
“I guess they never really lose it,” Ryo said. “I really did think that's what he did.”
“Yeah, yeah,” Dee grumbled. “What are you going to do with your ill-gotten winnings?”
Ryo thumbed through the money again and shrugged.
“I know this really nice restaurant that I've been wanting to go to for a while,” Ryo said. “It's just a matter of finding someone to go with me.”
“You got someone in mind?” Dee asked with a small grin.
“Maybe.”
“Anyone I know?”
“I believe you're acquainted.”
“If you're talking about anyone but me I'm going to kill you.”
Ryo burst out laughing.
 
Tomorrow. Ryo sighed and stared out the window. Halloween was tomorrow and his nervousness hadn't been calmed. Dee had stubbornly kept his plans a secret and despite his best efforts Ryo hadn't been able to draw anything out of him. He sighed and leaned back into the couch.
Dee snaked an arm behind him as he sat down and propped his feet up on the coffee table. The dark haired detective chuckled quietly and leaned closer to kiss Ryo's neck.
“Worried?”
Ryo's mouth thinned.
“Curious.”
Dee smiled and kissed against Ryo's skin again.
“Just be patient,” Dee murmured. “If you don't like it, we'll leave.”
Ryo nodded and another kiss traced over his neck.
“I can't wait to see you in your costume,” Dee whispered. “Leather, whips, chains…”
Ryo blushed darkly, his mouth dropping open, and Dee laughed loudly.
“Calm down Sexy,” Dee said. “I wouldn't want you to wear something like that…”
He paused a moment, as though considering his words, and grinned.
“At least, not in public.”
The blush actually darkened and Dee chuckled warmly as he pressed himself back to Ryo's neck. He explored across the skin and nipped lightly at Ryo's ear, enjoying the soft moan that escaped Ryo's lips.
“Sexy little Ryo,” Dee whispered. “I want to kiss you everywhere.”
His voice softened, became playful and almost teasing.
“Would you like that?”
“Yes,” Ryo answered softly but firmly.
Dee smiled and kissed across Ryo's jaw, his tongue lightly tracing over the smooth skin.
“Hello!” Bikky yelled as he kicked open the front door. “Child entering the apartment!”
“How does he do that?” Dee hissed as he sat up. “You monkey bitch, what are you doing here?”
“Practice finished early,” Bikky said and stuck his tongue out at Dee before he strolled into the kitchen. “What's it to you, you perverted freak?”
“Bikky, if you open anymore of that Halloween candy I'm going to make you pay for it,” Ryo said.
There was a quiet curse and the sound of a plastic bag dropping back onto the counter. Dee grinned and lightly pecked Ryo's cheek.
“You really are a dad.”
“So are you,” Ryo said. “You just don't like to admit it.”
Dee shrugged, an embarrassed flush on his face as he leaned back. Ryo couldn't help the small smile that darted across his face and he leaned comfortably against Dee.
“What's for supper?” Bikky asked as he plopped down next to Dee and propped his feet up on the table.
Dee scowled and pushed the table away from the couch, Bikky's feet sliding off.
“Keep your feet off the table.”
“What?” Bikky snapped. “You've got yours up.”
“I'm too old to learn,” Dee said.
“That's stupid,” Bikky said and tugged at the table until it was close enough and again propped his feet up.
“What did I just say, you squat little toad?” Dee said and pushed the table back again.
“That's it!” Bikky roared and sprang forward.
Ryo flinched and jumped out of the way, Bikky and Dee wrestling now as they rolled around the living room floor. A few curses leaked free from them and Ryo sighed as he headed for the kitchen.
“When you're done, why don't the two of you set the table?”