Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XIV, Family and Forgiveness ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Sanami Matoh. Not making a damn dime here. Yaoi involved kids. Set in the FAKE in Love Timeline…as if that wasn't obvious by now.
 
Dee stared at Ryo, his mouth a thin line as they slowly circled each other. The gym was strangely quiet now, a few people still running but most quietly watching the match that was taking place.
“Who are you betting on?” Drake asked.
“Dee-senpai of course,” JJ said.
“Of course,” Ted said as he rolled his eyes. “You know Ryo always wins.”
“They never spar against each other,” JJ pointed out. “You don't know.”
Ryo watched Dee's movements with practiced ease, both hesitating as they tried to plot out a line of attack. The problem was that neither could rely on the strengths they normally used because they new each other's physical abilities. There was no way in hell Dee was going to believe that Ryo was weak or uncertain in a fight, and Ryo would expect the strange fluid techniques that Dee relied so heavily on. Dee smirked slightly and Ryo smiled back.
In that instant they slammed together.
“Damn,” Ted muttered.
“Holy…that would have snapped me in half,” Drake said.
“You still want to bet on Dee?” Ted asked.
“Ryo's not doing any better!” JJ snapped.
Both pulled apart and collapsed to the mat, panting heavily.
“Draw?” Dee asked.
“Draw,” Ryo agreed as he gasped for air.
Drake dropped a water bottle into Ryo's hand.
“You guys are going to have to fight to a win one of these days,” he said flatly.
Ryo grinned and poked the bottle into Dee's side. Dee took it and poured a little on his face.
“No we don't,” Dee answered. “And if you think I was going for a draw and not a win you don't know me at all.”
“Trust me,” Ryo said tiredly. “He didn't pull any of those hits.”
“You sore?” Dee teased.
“Don't make me hit you again.”
Dee chuckled and then winced. “I'd really rather you didn't.”
“You two have a weird relationship,” Drake said flatly and strolled away.
Dee and Ryo exchanged a glance as they lay sprawled across the mat.
“Who's he to judge?” Dee said finally.
Ryo chuckled and stretched a little. “I think we don't need to do this again for a while.”
“Agreed,” Dee said and laughed. “You know, I always knew that you could break out of those pounces, you just didn't really try, did you?”
Ryo blushed slightly, the color change invisible beneath the flushed color of his face.
“Breaking out of your holds in the middle of a crowded gym is very different from breaking away from one of your kisses.”
“Damn,” Dee said with a grin. “I know what to do next time.”
“Try it and I will kill you.”
 
Dee whistled as he leaned back in his chair, his feet propped up on his desk. Ryo glanced up from the file he was holding, the dark glasses in place.
“Dee…”
“What?”
“Would you mind at least pretending you're doing some work?”
Dee chuckled and held up a piece of paper.
“I'm reading.”
“Then do it quietly,” Ryo muttered.
Dee grinned and stared down at the sheet he held. There was a tentative knock at their door.
“Come in,” Ryo called.
The door opened and a stunningly beautiful woman stepped inside. Her dark black hair was swept up in a stylish fashion, her clothing immaculate and perfectly cut. She glanced between them and then openly stared at Dee.
“Can I help you?” Ryo asked warmly, his eyes skidding across her nervous hands and uncertain gaze.
“I'm Claire Klarks,” she said and Dee tensed immediately, her eyes still resting heavily on him. “I'm here to see Detective Laytner.”
“I'm Detective Laytner,” Dee said stiffly, his eyes suddenly empty and his face blank.
Ryo frowned slightly. Something was wrong here.
“What's this about?” he asked gently.
The woman's eyes skidded to him for an instant and then shot back to Dee.
“Is there somewhere more private that we could go to?”
“That's alright,” Ryo said as he got up and forced his smile to return. “I'm going to get a cup of coffee. Take as long as you need.”
“No wait,” Dee said. “Ryo…”
The door clicked shut and Dee sighed heavily, his hand running through his hair for an instant before he scowled lightly and picked up his paperwork again. Claire shifted slightly and shook her head.
“Judging by your reaction, you've gotten my letters.”
“Yes,” he answered curtly.
“Then why haven't you responded?”
Dee shrugged and remained silent. Claire hesitated and bit her lip for a moment, her eyes softening as she stared at him.
“I've been looking for you for a long time,” she said quietly. “For years now. You don't know how hard it's been.”
Dee stubbornly ignored her and she shook her head a little.
“Can't you just give me a chance? I just want to know you a little, that's all. I don't want anything from you.”
“I'm not interested,” Dee said softly.
“Why?”
Stony silence answered her again and she shook her head again.
“Please, there's so much I want to tell you. I found our mother almost twelve years ago; she started talking about you almost the instant we met. She was so…heart broken. She died last month. Giving us up for adoption was the hardest thing she ever had to do.”
Dee's fist slammed into his desk, his eyes burning as he really looked up at her for the first time.
“I wasn't--”
The angry roar cut off and he shook his head violently, his jaw clenching as he struggled to get himself back under control.
“I wasn't put up for adoption,” he said, his voice low and icily calm now. “I was abandoned in an alley, I was thrown out.”
“Dee…”
“It's Detective Laytner,” Dee snapped. “Now unless you've got something to report, I think it's time you leave.”
She bit her lip again, her head bowing slightly.
“Alright,” she said her voice soft. “I'll go, but just consider it. We're family. I just want to know what it's like to have a brother.”
The door shut quietly behind her and Dee continued to stare blankly at the sheet of paper in his hand. A long moment passed and he flung it aside, one arm sweeping out and scattering everything off his desk with an angry swear. He slumped heavily in his chair, one hand pressed to his eyes for a moment as he tried to calm everything inside.
Why did she have to come?
Why couldn't she have just taken the hint and left him alone? What were they supposed to do, hug and laugh and exchange stories about their screwed up childhoods? He let out a long shaky sigh and forced himself to get to his feet. He knelt and began to pick up the office, carefully stacking everything back on his desk, his movements deliberate and robotic. He ran his hand through his hair again and shook his head. This day wasn't looking too good.
By the time Ryo returned, two steaming cups of coffee in his hands, Dee was back at his desk, a wide grin on his face as he asked for a little sugar with his caffeine. Ryo gave him a fake scowl that quickly split into an amused smile as he returned to his own desk and started grilling Dee about finishing up the paperwork for their last case.
Dee was grateful that Ryo didn't ask about his visitor.
 
Dee whistled as he and Bikky walked down the street, both weighted down with over-filled grocery bags. They had spent the morning chasing each other around the house and making as much noise as they possibly could, both coming up with some really inspired insults. Unfortunately, Dee's sexy partner hadn't been amused. Ryo had irritably thrown them out early that afternoon with a list and a command not to come back until they had filled it. Apparently even Ryo had his limits.
“Hey, perv,” Bikky said as he paused in front of a store window. “Look at these.”
Dee couldn't help but chuckle as he peered over Bikky's shoulder at a pair of new glinting skates.
“You know Biks, rollerblades are more in style,” he pointed out with a small grin.
“They suck,” Bikky responded distantly as he continued to ogle the skates. “Remember these. I want them for my birthday.”
“That's almost a year away,” Dee said. “What about for Christmas? That's closer, only a month and a half.”
“Nah, I already asked Ryo for a trip to California so I can learn to surf.”
“I think the skates would be a surer thing,” Dee said wryly.
“I know,” Bikky said with a grin. “I asked for California, but I'm going to mention that it would also be really cool to get a new computer. Now doesn't that sound much more reasonable?”
Dee laughed loudly. “You're a devious little monkey.”
“I certainly am,” Bikky said proudly.
They plodded down the street again, a fresh wind sparking up and whipping across them. Dee wrinkled his nose as he felt his cheeks numb and tingle beneath the wind's touch. Just another block to the car and then they could drive comfortably home.
“Hey,” Bikky said.
“Bikky,” Dee said tiredly. “If you're going to keep making me stop at every damn window to look at every damn thing you want I'm going to freeze to death before we make it home.”
“Bite me,” Bikky said. “I was just going to ask you something.”
“What?”
“When it's time for me to learn to drive, will you teach me?”
“Uh…”
“Come on man, if I learn from Ryo I might end up driving like him.”
“What? Responsibly?” Dee laughed. “Yeah, that'd be a bad thing.”
“Dee…”
“It's still a couple of years away Biks,” Dee said. “You're not even fourteen yet.”
“So I'm planning ahead,” Bikky said with a shrug. “Doesn't that show how mature and responsible I am?”
“Suuuuuuuuuuuuure,” Dee chuckled. “We'll see, okay? You'll probably get lessons from both of us, because God knows if you want to pass the first time through you damn well better practice driving like Ryo.”
Dee grinned then and winked at Bikky.
“You can drive like a normal person after you get your license.”
“Wait till I tell him you said that,” Bikky said with a laugh.
“Go right ahead,” Dee answered. “And I'll tell him about that letter your English teacher sent home last week about your disrespectful nature and constant interruptions.”
“Shit,” Bikky said lowly. “I didn't think you knew about that.”
“Never kid a kidder, Biks,” Dee said. “I'm an expert on things like that.”
 
Dee was whistling again as he and Bikky climbed out of the car and again loaded up with the heavy grocery bags.
“Jesus perv, what's with the whistling?” Bikky grunted. “You trying to let out some hot air or what?”
“Go to hell, Biks,” Dee said cheerfully. “Here, take the heavy bags.”
“What? You take the heavy ones.”
“You're young and spry, help an old man out.”
“It's true,” Bikky said as he took the bag. “You really have aged before your time.”
“At least I didn't shrink before my time,” Dee said with a grin.
“Screw you!” Bikky yelled and kicked Dee in the shin.
“Ouch, goddammit Bikky! You're thirteen years old, when are you going to stop kicking me like that?”
“When you stop deserving it you freak!”
They bickered their way to the building's lobby and Dee laughed as he pushed the elevator button, Bikky calling him a `demented freak' as they waited.
“Detective?”
Dee turned and immediately his smile disappeared.
Claire Klarks stared patiently at him. Dee hesitated a moment, his eyes skipping to Bikky who was glancing between them curiously.
“Head on up, Biks,” Dee said quietly.
“Huh? Dee…”
“Just go upstairs, alright?” Dee said shortly.
“Okay, okay,” Bikky said, stepping into the elevator as it arrived.
The doors shut with a quiet ping and Dee turned back to Claire with an angry frown.
“What are you doing here?”
“I wanted to talk to you again,” she said. “I thought that showing up at your office might have made you uncomfortable so--”
“So you showed up at my home instead?” Dee snapped and jammed his finger into the elevator button. “What do you want from me?”
“I told you,” she said softly. “I just want to get to know you.”
“Why?” Dee said, a little of his anger seeping out in his voice. “Tell me why.”
“We're family.”
“No,” Dee said as he shook his head. “We're related. Sharing a few genes is very different from being family.”
Claire stared at him and then looked away, her eyes cautiously darting back to him.
“Was that your son? The two of you seem very close.”
Dee shook his head and stared at the elevator. Maybe if he ignored her she'd leave.
“I've got a daughter myself,” she said. “Her name's Donna, she's turning nine next month. She's got my hair but she got her father's eyes. I love her so much.”
“Then shouldn't you be home with her instead of chasing after something that's never going to happen?” Dee snapped.
The elevator pinged open and Dee all but lunged inside, his angry eyes daring Claire to follow. She dared.
Dee gritted his teeth as the doors closed and they started up, the elevator suddenly too small and too hot.
“I'm here because I…I don't know why,” Claire said quietly. “Why do you hate me so much? You don't even know me. What did I ever do?”
“Just leave me alone,” Dee growled tiredly.
The doors opened again and he stepped out into the hall, one of the grocery bags suddenly splitting wide open and throwing food across his feet. He cursed loudly and bent to pick everything up, juggling clumsily as he tried to fill the ripped bag again. Claire bent to help, her hands scooping up the food and Dee gritted his teeth. He flung the ruined bag and all of its contents aside and stormed down the hall to the apartment, one hand ripping the door open and then slamming it behind him.
Ryo glanced up from the couch, peering down the hall at Dee as he sipped some coffee.
“Hey,” Ryo called. “Bikky says you guys got everything.”
“Yeah,” Dee said, trying to mask his lingering anger and confusion. “We did.”
Why did he hate her so much? Why was this pissing him off so badly? Dee set the one intact grocery bag down on the counter and wiped a hand down his face. He just wanted this all to end. He had Ryo, he had Bikky, he had Mother, he had all the family he could ever want or handle. Why was she so damn intent on complicating things for him? Didn't want anything but to get to know him, his ass. She probably needed money.
Dee scowled. Like an NYPD Detective was going to be able to pay her anything.
The doorbell interrupted his thoughts, his head jerking up and eyes narrowing. She wouldn't…
He heard Ryo moving down the hall and Dee practically ripped the kitchen door off its hinges as he leapt into Ryo's path. Ryo jumped back, a surprised look on his face as he stumbled a little.
“Jesus Dee,” he said as he blinked.
“Ha ha,” Dee said with a wink. “I got the door. You start on the groceries.”
“How's that fair?”
“Bikky and I carried them up here, you can help put them away.”
“How come that never works when I carry them up?” Ryo asked with a dramatic sigh as he headed into the kitchen.
Dee chuckled, but the smile disappeared the instant Ryo did. He stormed to the door and wrenched it open. The hall was empty. He slumped against the door frame and shook his head, strangely drained now that there was no one to vent his anger on. His eyes slid down and he sighed as he closed them.
A pile of groceries rested neatly at his feet.