Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE In Love: Act XV, Fires and Distance ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Sanami Matoh. Not making any money here. Poor, poor, poor.
 
 
“I knew it,” Dee growled. “I knew they'd bring us here. That paramedic is a dirty liar.”
“He said they were going to take us to the hospital that was ready for us,” Ryo answered. “I'm sure the more serious cases had priority for the one that's closest to the station.”
“I don't care,” Dee muttered.
“You don't even know that Emiry is here,” Ryo said boredly. “Stop being such a wimp.”
“You don't know what that woman has put me through,” Dee snapped.
“Calm down,” Ryo said and gave Dee a comforting smile. “You've already been cleared. You'll be out of here before you know it.”
“Yeah,” Dee said softly and gently ran his fingers through Ryo's hair. “Just waiting on you now.”
Ryo smiled again and leaned into Dee's touch.
“I feel fine,” Ryo assured him. “They're probably just backed up.”
Dee's mouth thinned slightly and he sat down on the bed next to Ryo with a long sigh. He didn't like this. Why hadn't the doctor come back to tell them that Ryo really was fine? What was going on with his tests?
As if summoned by his thoughts, the door opened. Dammit, why did everyone look so young lately? He was starting to feel like an old man.
“Well, everything's clear,” the doctor said as he flipped through the chart. “I'll sign you both as ready to go back to work.”
“Thanks,” Dee said dryly. “That's just what I wanted to hear.”
Ryo could feel the tension that rushed out of Dee's body at that moment, and he lightly brushed his fingers down Dee's spine. Dee smiled at him and caught Ryo's hand, his hold closing slowly around it and keeping it close.
“Looks like there's no rest for the wicked,” Dee said.
“Well,” the doctor said. “I'd recommend that you both take a day off just to make sure that everything's back to normal. You both went down pretty hard.”
Dee and Ryo exchanged a quick glance and the doctor frowned.
“What?”
“Nothing,” Dee said innocently.
The doctor's gaze narrowed.
“Oh, you're those detectives.”
Dee shot him a dangerous look.
“Just what do you mean by that?”
“I mean that there was a medic in here earlier complaining about the cops he had to bring in. He said that they tried to make him turn around and go back to the scene when he was half-way here. He said one of them practically threatened to shoot him if he didn't,” the young man's eyes locked on Dee. “My guess is that was you.”
“I don't like hospitals,” Dee grumbled. “Especially this one.”
“Well,” the doctor said as he began to scribble furiously on his pad. “You'll either agree to stay away from work for the next forty-eight hours or you'll find yourself here overnight. Which will it be gentlemen?”
“Come on,” Dee moaned. “We're fine. You said it yourself. We've got work to do, doc, or did you forget that we're here because a building blew up?”
“Of course I didn't,” the doctor snapped. “The two of you are lucky that you weren't seriously hurt. It's not like people walk away from these things unscathed everyday.”
Ryo blinked and clapped a hand over his mouth to smother his laughter. Dee looked over in surprise and then chuckled softly. The doctor wasn't so amused.
“What now?” he groaned.
“We've been blown up before,” Dee said with a grin. “This is the first time that we've had to go to the hospital for it. What does that tell you, doc?”
The doctor's eyes narrowed and he shook his head.
“Let me guess, you knew it was coming last time, right?”
Dee frowned slightly.
“Yeah, I guess.”
“So you were able to prepare yourself, shield your head, your body…”
Dee nodded warily.
“But not this time, right?” the doctor pressed. “You've been lucky. Especially this time. This time you're actually reacting like people caught in an explosion. I think you need some time to recover, whether you want to admit that or not. So take your pick.”
The doctor held out the note informing Rose and Smith that Dee and Ryo were to go on paid leave for forty-eight hours.
“Home or hospital, either way you're not going back to work tonight.”
Dee scowled as he took the note.
 
“At least the car was okay,” Ryo said as they rode the elevator up to the apartment. “Not even a dent.”
“Too bad,” Dee sighed. “We've got full coverage. Maybe this time I could have talked you into something less practical.”
Ryo smile and leaned back against the wall, his eyes drifting half closed as he stared up at the glowing numbers. Dee's hand rested warmly on his shoulder and Ryo's eyes slid to meet his.
“You okay?” Dee asked softly.
Ryo nodded. “Just tired. I think I'm going to sleep for the next forty-eight hours.”
“Sounds good,” Dee agreed. “Did you ever get a hold of Bikky?”
Ryo shook his head. “The line's been busy ever since I started calling.”
Dee growled. “Either we cut off that kid's internet time or we get a second line. This is ridiculous.”
“He's been asking for a cell phone,” Ryo said around a large yawn. “Can you believe that? He's not even fifteen and he wants a cell phone.”
“Kids these days get them in elementary school,” Dee said. “What do you think?”
Ryo shrugged. “It would be nice to be able to get a hold of him when I want to.”
“I agree,” Dee said. “We'll just get very few minutes on it for him to waste.”
Ryo chuckled softly and then sighed with relief when the elevator finally stopped. Part of his brain was drifting to sleep already, but another was smiling. Sometimes it still caught him off guard when he and Dee talked about Bikky like that, like he was their son. His mind drifted to the doctor's office and the way Dee had held his hand. Ryo had waited for that instant of panic or embarrassment to rush through him, but it never came. He had been glad to have Dee's hand in his own, and had only wondered what the doctor thought later when he realized what had happened.
Of course, it was happening a lot more lately. He didn't mind when Dee would show a little affection in front of others now, it felt right. And he certainly didn't mind occasionally brushing his hand over Dee's or giving his lover a quick goodbye kiss. He wanted that, he wanted it to always feel like that. It seemed that what they had between them was strong enough to keep growing and surprising him everyday.
“Bikky!” Dee bellowed as he opened the apartment door. “Shut off that damn computer and get out here!”
Ryo chuckled again as he hung up his jacket. His son more swaggered into the living room than walked, his chin jutted out defiantly as he stared at Dee and Ryo.
“What?” he asked boredly.
“Oh you little punk,” Dee growled with a malicious smile. “You're in for it now.”
Bikky frowned suddenly and glanced between the two of them.
“Where have you guys been anyway? I thought you were off a couple of hours ago.”
“I've been trying to call you,” Ryo said flatly. “And--”
“And why are you all dirty?” Bikky demanded. “You look like you've been rolling around on the ground.”
Ryo glanced down at his pants and he felt Dee frown irritably next to him.
“Damn,” Dee muttered. “These pants were clean today.”
“Looks like you can't wear them for the next week straight,” Bikky scoffed and turned on his heel to head into the kitchen.
“Get back here,” Ryo said firmly.
Bikky stopped dead in his tracks and returned with a sheepish look on his face.
“We're setting some rules about the internet,” Ryo said. “I've been calling you for a long time now Bikky.”
“Like I said,” Bikky said dangerously. “We need a second line. Or I need a cell phone.”
“Dee and I have been talking about that,” Ryo said slowly. “And we're going to get you a trial one. Just to see how you handle it.”
Bikky let out a whoop of triumph and threw his hands up in the air.
“Great!” he yelled. “Can I have one with a camera and maybe with one of those cool keyboard flip out things?”
“Doubtful,” Dee said with a yawn. “You'll get the cheapest on the market and like it.”
Bikky scowled. “Bite me you knuckle-dragger.”
“Whatever,” Dee said tiredly. “Ryo, you want anything to eat before bed?”
“No,” Ryo answered.
“Where'd you put our doctor's note? The Chief'll want it tomorrow.”
“It's in my pocket,” Ryo said sleepily.
“Doctor's note?” Bikky echoed. “You were in the hospital? Again?”
“Why do you think we were calling?” Dee said as he shook his head.
“Are you okay?”
Dee grinned and ruffled his hand through Bikky's pale hair.
“We're in perfect health. And we've got the doctor's signature to prove it.”
“He must not have been a psychiatrist,” Bikky said flippantly and headed back to his room.
“One of these days I am going to kill that kid,” Dee growled.