Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XVII, Murder and Mayhem ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I'm not Sanami Matoh. I'm not making any money off of this. This story contains adult situations and language as well as some `chicka-chicka-bow-wow' moments between men. This is set in the “FAKE in Love” time line, so if you haven't read the other posts, you might be a wee bit confused. And please review if you have time. Rat bastards.
 
 
Dee awoke when he heard the door slam, a small frown on his face as he rolled over. He sighed as he realized he was in bed alone, and the sound he had heard was probably the brat taking off for school. Dee sat up and ran a hand through his hair as he tried to blink the last of the sleep from his eyes.
The bedroom door opened and Ryo glanced at him with a smile.
“I was wondering how long you were going to sleep.”
“Was that the monkey?” Dee grumbled.
“Yes, he just left.”
“We've got to have a talk about slamming doors,” Dee muttered as he pulled on a pair of jeans and dug around for his cigarettes. “Has he apologized yet?”
Ryo frowned.
“For what?”
Dee stared at him with amusement and then shook his head.
“Forget it,” Dee said. “You always let him off the hook like that.”
Ryo was silent a moment and then launched himself at Dee, both toppling back into the bed. Dee let out a surprised yell and Ryo chuckled as he pinned his lover to the bed.
“Yes,” Ryo said solemnly. “You have such a hard life. You're tortured on a daily basis.”
“I definitely am,” Dee agreed seriously. “You're driving me crazy.”
“Haven't I been doing that since the first day we met?” Ryo asked.
“Yes,” Dee answered loudly. “From day one.”
“Good,” Ryo said happily and leaned forward for a quick kiss. “Now get up, breakfast is ready.”
“Isn't that your cell phone?”
Ryo frowned as he listened and then nodded.
“I believe you're right.”
Dee strolled into the bathroom and threw on a clean shirt. It was too bad they had to work; he wouldn't complain about just spending the rest of the day playing around with Ryo. He glanced at himself in the mirror and chuckled quietly. They needed a day off, just a day to relax and unwind.
“Dee…”
Dee looked over his shoulder as Ryo stepped into the doorway, a grim look on his face.
“Get ready for work, we're going in early.”
 
“He's not a very well known serial killer,” Jamie said softly. “But as you can see, he was a killer.”
“Goddamn psychopaths,” Dee muttered.
Ryo stared silently at the pictures.
“Harvey Glatman killed three women in this method,” Rose said. “These shots appear to be replicas of his first killing. Our body count is now up to four.”
“When did these arrive?” Ryo asked quietly.
“This morning,” Tim answered as he set a coffee pot on the table in front of them. “They came standard mail, too many hands have been on the envelope to have any chance of figuring out who sent it. The postmark is right here in the city.”
“Yeah,” Ryo said distantly.
“Any word on where the body is?” Dee asked.
“Glatman usually dumped in the desert, but there's not really one of those around here, so there's no way of telling,” Jamie said.
“Have we found any connection between the victims yet?” Rose asked.
“There's nothing,” Diana said. “To be honest, I think he might just pick them based on how closely they resemble the victims in the photographs.”
“So now what?” Dee muttered. “Do we start posting old crime scene photos and warn people that if they see any similarities they should stay indoors?”
“We've received fifteen hundred tips since that news broadcast last night,” Rose said dully. “I've assigned a task force to start sifting the useless ones out, but we really need some kind of idea of what we're looking for.”
“Well the problem is we don't know what we're looking for,” Jamie said angrily. “There's no pattern here, no reason. He just seems to randomly choose killers to emulate.”
“There's nothing in the original cases that could connect them all together either,” Tim said. “How is your analysis coming, Ms. Karlisle?”
Jamie stared at him with a confused look and then shrugged.
“Alright. I've been sifting through the original psychiatric reports that are available on the killers, but so far I haven't found any one characteristic that could help us to narrow down our search.”
“Other than psychopathic?” Dee quipped.
“I believe sociopathic is more accurate,” Diana answered. “Are you boys still going to check out the other scenes?”
“Ye--”
“The detectives can't,” Rose said flatly. “They've got a court date.”
Dee and Ryo both looked up in surprise and Rose closed his eyes before he spoke again.
“They've decided to move up the hearing to try and throw the press off. You've got a flight to catch.”
 
Ryo didn't say a word. He sat silently next to Dee, staring blankly ahead as the room filled with a few people. Most were actually silent, a fact that Dee was strangely thankful for.
They had flown out to Montana the night before to attend Marsh's hearing, and both the flight and last night had been tense and quiet. Ryo wasn't in the mood to talk and he wasn't letting Dee even attempt to make him feel better. Dee leaned lightly against his partner and Ryo's eyes shot to him.
“It'll be okay,” Dee said softly.
Ryo nodded and turned back to the front of the room.
Marsh was led inside.
The hearing was simple enough; Marsh would appear before a panel chosen to weigh his case and determine if he was ready to return to the outside world. Dee hoped they were all heartless bastards.
Marsh looked like the prison punching bag, his face marred with bruises and a strange limp twisting his walk. He looked miserable, and faced down the panel that sat before him with an almost whipped expression.
Dee couldn't feel sorry for him at all.
“Mr. Marsh, are you ready to proceed?”
“Yes.”
Marsh's voice was muffled and slurred and as Dee watched the killer's eyes slowly began to search through the room. Dee frowned and unconsciously scooted closer to Ryo. The panel continued to speak, but Marsh wasn't listening anymore, at all, he was still looking.
“Ryo,” Dee whispered.
“It's fine,” Ryo answered.
Marsh's eyes found them.
He grinned suddenly, his eyes lighting up as they locked on Ryo.
“There you are detective,” he said happily.
“Mr. Marsh, you're out of order--”
“Fuck you,” Marsh snapped and turned back to Ryo. “I'm so glad you came. I wanted to see you one more time. He really timed it perfectly, I'm impressed. I loved your little appearance on the news last night, you made national.”
“Guards!”
Marsh laughed suddenly and dropped to the floor, his eyes wide and ecstatic as the guards rushed towards him.
“He's going to get you now, he's going to get you now you little whore.”
Dee's hand clamped down on Ryo's arm, his eyes wide and whole body tense as he leaned forward. Ryo was still as stone next to him, the detective silently observing everything.
“Call an ambulance!”
 
Derrick Marsh didn't survive long enough to make it out of the room where his parole hearing was held. The poison was too fast.
 
“What are the chances that this is unrelated?” Dee asked quietly as he smoked.
Ryo stared absently out their office window and shook his head.
“Pretty damn small,” he agreed.
“When are they faxing everything over?”
“In the morning,” Ryo said and lightly rested his forehead against the glass.
“Maybe we should go home then,” Dee said. “I'll let you feed me.”
Ryo chuckled quietly and turned to stare at his partner.
“I love you Dee,” he said softly. “I love you so much.”
Dee stared at him, a strange chill running down his spin, but then Ryo's smile warmed.
“I love you more than anything.”
Dee smiled back, his mind pushing aside whatever fear he had felt.
“I love you too.”
The door burst open then and JJ rushed inside.
“Ryo, we've got a job,” he said. “Hostage situation down at the Makada Jewelry Store.”
Ryo nodded, his features now stern and blank.
“Alright, I'll get my rifle.”
Dee closed his eyes as a sudden jolt raced down his spine. Ryo was going to have to shoot someone. Ryo was going to have to shoot.
“Jesus Christ,” Dee muttered as he rubbed at his temple.
It was one of those damn moments.
He could suddenly see that kid's face too clearly, could hear the weird sound of the gun going off in his hand. He couldn't take this, not now. Ryo's hand lightly rested on his shoulder and Dee jumped a little.
“Hey,” Ryo said softly. “Why don't you go home? You can play nice with Bikky until I get there, right?”
Dee snorted and shook his head.
“When have I ever played nice with that brat?”
Ryo smiled. “Just don't kill each other.”
 
“False alarm?” Ryo said with an annoyed frown. “What do you mean?”
“The situation never required a sharpshooter,” the officer answered. “I don't know where you got your information, but no one called for you.”
Ryo's frown darkened and a sudden cold spread out through his stomach.
 
Dee felt like someone had kicked him in the head.
He groaned softly as he woke up, suddenly sure that there was a damn good reason he felt like that. His eyes lifted to lock on the smirking bastard who stood over him and Dee closed his eyes again.
“Awake, are we?”
Dee groaned again as he was prodded with one toe, the son of a bitch somehow managing to poke in just the perfect way to make his entire body throb with pain. He was handcuffed around an old pipe, the dark building giving him no clues about where he had been taken. The last thing he could remember was heading towards the elevator, his mind on Ryo, on guns, on dead kids, on everything other than the man who somehow managed to sneak up behind him.
“How're you feeling?”
“Shut up,” Dee mumbled.
Damn, his mouth didn't want to move right. The figure crouched next to him and lightly brushed back Dee's hair.
“You know who I am, right?” he asked as he drummed his fingers on Dee's cheek.
Dee stared listlessly at him and earned himself another punch.
“Don't pretend you don't,” the man warned. “Now be a good boy and stay nice and quiet for me. I've got to go and find your partner.”
Dee's eyes cleared a little then and the handcuffs clanged loudly as he jerked away from the pipe. Another quiet chuckle escaped the killer before him and Dee had to bite back on a growl that wanted to leave him.
“Don't worry,” the killer said softly. “As long as he does just what I tell him to, nothing bad will happen to you. He just has to let me finish, that's all.”
“Finish what, you sick fuck?” Dee snarled.
“Marsh asked me,” the man said. “He's the only one who ever got away, so I have to take care of that. Your partner has quite the history of narrow escapes doesn't he? But that's always thanks to you. And now I've taken care of that little problem. After I'm done with him I'll come back and let you go, so just keep quiet.”
“Fuck you!” Dee roared and struggled against the wave of nausea and weariness that threatened to topple over him.
A quick kick to his side sent him slamming into the pipe and gasping for air. The bastard had definitely broken a rib that time. Dee closed his eyes and struggled to breathe right, suddenly every nerve focused on the steady pain that filled him.
“It's his own damn fault,” the killer said with a sigh. “If he would have just died the first time he wouldn't have had all these problems. You just had to save him, so now I'll just have to make it good. Don't worry, I promised Marsh I'd take pictures, I'll make sure you get a copy.”
“You…killed…Marsh,” Dee panted.
“Yes, I did.”
“Why?” Dee grunted.
“Didn't you notice?” the man said, his head cocked to one side. “All the others are dead and now that Marsh is, I can spread his work again. His spirit can move through me.”
“You're…insane.”
“You're not the first one to say that.”
“You're…going…to…hell.”
“I don't doubt it,” the man answered with a carefree shrug. “Now be a good boy and I'll bring you a present. How about an eye? Would you like one of his eyes?”
Dee was certain he was going to throw up.
 
“Diana!”
Ryo burst into the conference room, his eyes wide and hands shaking. The FBI agent looked up from where her husband knelt next to her, Drake's ear still pressed against her stomach as he blinked in surprise.
“Ryo?” Drake said and got to his feet. “What's going on?”
“Have you seen Dee?” he asked.
“Dee?” Diana echoed. “No, I thought he left hours ago.”
“He did,” Ryo said. “But he hasn't made it home.”
“Maybe he went for a drink,” Drake suggested. “You know, to unwind or something.”
Ryo frowned slightly and ran a hand back through his hair.
“Yeah, maybe,” he said, but his voice betrayed him; he didn't believe it at all.
“What is it Ryo?” Diana asked.
“I don't know,” Ryo said. “Just a feeling.”
 
Dee pulled at the cuffs, he stretched and fought until his wrists were bleeding and his arms felt like he had dislocated both shoulders. He slumped against the pipe and panted for breath.
“Ryo,” he whispered. “Please Ryo.”