Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act XX, Memories and Moments ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: I do not own FAKE. Dammit. You'd think by now you'd all know that. I'm not making any money off of this, though if anyone's interested in hiring a writer, feel free to contact me. This is yaoi.
 
 
“Should I really be asking you for help on this?” Bikky asked wryly. “You might have hit your head hard enough to knock out all your history information, Dad.”
“Hmm, you might be right,” Ryo said and handed the notebook back to Bikky. “Better pull out your books and look everything up.”
Bikky groaned dramatically and shoved the rough draft back into his bag.
“So how are you feeling?” the teen asked as he lounged at Ryo's side.
“Fine,” Ryo answered with a shrug.
“How much longer until they let you out?”
“No one seems to know,” Ryo said irritably. “They keep clearing everything through Dee and he's being overly thorough about this.”
“You're the one who gave him medical authority or whatever,” Bikky answered.
Ryo frowned.
“What?”
“Yeah,” Bikky said, waving a hand. “It was part of that paperwork you guys were doing. It was just--”
Bikky's voice cut off as Ryo's frown darkened and one hand absently rubbed at his temple. A dull throb was beginning to build in the back of his eyes and he shook his head.
“I don't remember that,” Ryo said softly.
“Sorry, Dad,” Bikky murmured. “It was just a few days ago. I should have, I should have remembered. Sorry.”
“That's alright,” Ryo said, smiling again. “What else did I miss?”
“Not much,” Bikky said. “Carol and I went to the movies. Dee broke the handle off the broom and chased me around with it when I laughed at him.”
Ryo grinned. A sly look passed over Bikky's eyes and he absently toyed with the corner of Ryo's blanket.
“And you agreed to get me a new computer,” Bikky said. “You said the old one was too slow.”
“Uh-huh,” Ryo said, his eyes flat and amused. “You know better than to try and take advantage of someone in the hospital, don't you, Biks?”
“Unfortunately, I do,” Bikky said glumly. “But you can't blame me for trying.”
 
“Ryo-senpai!”
JJ's voice reverberated through the hospital hallways and caused more than one person to look up with surprise. Ryo sighed heavily as the door was flung open and the exuberant sharp shooter strolled inside, Tim Darrow in tow.
“Hi, Ryo!” JJ said brightly, his grin wide and almost blinding. “Hi, Mr. Sexy!”
Dee groaned and gave JJ a narrow look.
“Just to warn you,” Dee said lowly. “I can't smoke in here.”
“Then go outside and have a cigarette,” JJ answered dismissively.
“I think hitting you might be a better stress reliever,” Dee growled.
JJ chuckled and turned back to Ryo.
“Oh Ryo,” JJ said. “I'm so glad to see you up and awake. We were very worried about you.”
Ryo gave him a vacant smile.
“Thank you for your concern,” he said politely and the smile faltered slightly. “Might I ask…who are you?”
JJ froze, his smile wiping away in one long fluid stroke. He clutched at Ryo's shoulder and then glanced at Dee.
“They weren't lying about the amnesia,” JJ said softly.
His eyes skidded back to Ryo and the brunette gave him another small smile.
“Oh Ryo,” JJ breathed. “It's alright. I'm JJ Adams. We work together. We're good friends and have been for a long time.”
Dee snorted and quickly snapped a hand over his lips as he turned away. But the damage had already been done. Ryo blinked quickly, his own lips quirking with a grin that he tried to hide.
“Hi, JJ,” Ryo said, the laughter bubbling up now. “It's nice to meet you.”
JJ's eyes narrowed as he looked between the two of them, both laughing loudly now as he shook his head.
“Oh you're both going to hell,” JJ said darkly. “Assholes.”
“Sorry, JJ,” Ryo said, still grinning widely. “I couldn't help myself.”
JJ tsk'd angrily and pulled one of the stiff backed chairs to Ryo's bedside, Tim moving to stand behind him. One of the FBI agent's hands rested lightly on the blue haired man's shoulder and JJ scowled.
“I hate you both,” he said. “I just want you to know that.”
“That was great,” Dee said with a long pleased sigh. “Damn, JJ. Ryo, I didn't think you could pull it off.”
Ryo shrugged. “I did my best.”
“Hey,” Dee said, leaning across Ryo to lightly slap JJ's arm. “Don't tell anyone at the station. We want to see who else we can hit with this.”
JJ shook his head again. “You two really are going to hell, you know that, right?”
 
The joke had the desired effect. Any of the seriousness or worry that JJ might have brought into the room with him dissolved completely. He found himself laughing with Dee and Ryo instead of trying to think of just how to talk to the man in the bed and his anxious partner.
“They're good together,” Tim said quietly as he and JJ climbed into the hospital elevator.
“Yeah,” JJ agreed. “I know. They belong together.”
“Do you think Dee's told him yet?” Tim asked.
JJ's lips thinned and he leaned back against the smooth metallic wall.
“Told him what?” JJ murmured. “We don't know anything. Anything at all.”
 
“If you try it on Rose and he makes a move on you, I am personally going to string him up with his tie,” Dee said as he shuffled a deck of cards.
Ryo snorted and leaned back against the thick pillows.
“I just don't see that happening.”
“Yeah, right,” Dee said with an eye roll. “Like that wouldn't be the first thing on his mind.”
Ryo's eyes suddenly lit up.
“Call Drake next. He's gullible.”
“The guy's afraid of owls,” Dee said as he chuckled. “This might give him a heart attack.”
 
“Ah damn, he brought the baby,” Dee said glumly and then grinned and held both arms out. “Hand her over, Drakey.”
“Yeah right,” Drake said, tightening his hold around the squirming little bundle. “After a greeting like that!”
Diana rolled her eyes and planted a quick kiss on Ryo's cheek.
“How are you feeling?” she asked.
“Fine,” Ryo answered with a smile. “And how are you?”
“Managing,” Diana said with a dramatic sigh as she sat down. “They bumped me out of field work to do training exorcises. I hate it.”
“It's better with the baby,” Drake said, finally relenting and handing Mandy over to a still grinning Dee. “She gets home at regular hours now so we can have an actual schedule together.”
Diana rolled her eyes.
“Practical jerk,” she muttered.
Drake gave her a half smile. Dee laughed and gave Mandy one of his fingers, two little hands immediately locking around it as Dee wiggled it before her.
“Mommy and Daddy are so weird,” Dee cooed over the baby. “Wait till you get older and uncle Dee can tell you all the best stories about them.”
“Yeah, like you don't have any exploits that need to be shared with future generations,” Drake said.
“Hmm, but uncles are supposed to be eccentric and wild,” Dee said. “Do your worst, Parker. Huh, Mandy? Say `bring it on, daddy'.”
Ryo laughed and held his arms out.
“My turn,” he said.
“A few more minutes,” Dee said, happily rubbing Mandy's tummy.
Suddenly, the little face scrunched tightly together, the baby's eyes narrowing with deep concentration. Drake chuckled.
“I know that face,” Diana said.
Dee frowned and glanced down at the little girl for a moment. Suddenly, he blinked and grinned as he held her out to Drake.
“Looks like she wants her daddy,” Dee said.
“Lucky me,” Drake said dryly as he scooped the baby up and headed to the room's small bathroom, diaper changing bag slung over his shoulder. “Come on, Mandy. Let's get you cleaned up.”
Diana shook her head and her eyes slid back to Ryo.
“So, how do you like this hospital stay, Sandra Dee? As I recall, you're not big on medical leaves.”
Dee laughed loudly.
“They've got him so drugged out of his head for most of these tests that you could walk off with one of his legs before he'd notice.”
Ryo sighed and shook his head.
“I just want to go home,” he declared flatly. “No, I don't like hospitals, and I'm sick of being here.”
“But you look so cute in your little gown,” Diana teased.
Ryo glanced at Dee. “Dee.”
Dee grinned and turned to Diana. “Bite me, sea hag.”
Diana laughed loudly and leaned over to give Ryo another peck on the cheek.
“God, you're adorable.”
“Here we go,” Drake said. “All fresh and changed.”
He held Mandy out and Ryo pulled her close, the smell of new baby washing up through his senses. Her skin was soft and she was plump and sleepy in his arms. His own eyes felt a little heavy and he sighed as he shifted her a little.
“So what do the reports say?” Diana asked, her voice suddenly falling to that low professional tone that left no room for arguments.
Ryo passed the tips of his fingers over Mandy's cheek and up through silky soft hair. God, she was so little. He felt like he was going to break her apart, despite how careful he was being.
“I…haven't really read them,” Dee said, his eyes flicking to Ryo.
Ryo smiled as Mandy sloppily grabbed one finger and yawned all at once, her eyes flashing for a moment as if she was surprised that she'd managed both at the same time. Dee had grown up with this, with little kids and babies all running around him, and in this moment, Ryo was a little jealous of that. He was an only child and the few relatives he did have lived far away or were too suspicious of his origins for him to get the chance to be around anyone too much younger than himself.
“You must have read the report you filed,” Diana pressed. “Was it really complete?”
“As far as I know,” Dee said uncomfortably. “I tried the back of the warehouse, and the door wouldn't open. By the time I got back around to the front, Ryo was hurt and I called the paramedics.”
“And how long did it take for the ambulance to arrive?” Diana asked.
Dee laughed weakly, his eyes flicking to Ryo again.
“Come on, Diana,” he joked. “What is this? An FBI interrogation?”
Diana said nothing, but instead turned to Ryo.
“What about you, Ryo?” she said.
His eyes pulled up from the baby relaxing in his arms to pan over her. Drake was sitting uncomfortably at her side, the detective staring up at the ceiling and determinedly not meeting Ryo's stare. Dee looked anxious, and Diana was staring at him with a careful detachment of all emotions. Mandy yawned again and Ryo frowned.
“What about me?” he asked.
“What did you find at the warehouse?”
Ryo shook his head and turned back to the baby.
“I don't know,” he said quietly. “I don't remember it. I can't believe how much bigger she got since the last time I saw her.”
“You don't remember anything?” she asked, ignoring his comment. “You don't know what was inside?”
A dull throb ran through Ryo's temple and he frowned again as he resisted the urge to press one hand against his head.
“I don't,” he said.
“And what's the last thing you do remember?” Diana asked.
“Diana,” Drake said, a soft warning in his voice.
She shot him a silencing look and turned back to Ryo. The dark eyed detective was staring down at the baby in his arms, her eyes now closed, pale little lids covering such bright eyes. He sighed and brushed his thumb lightly over them, feeling how smooth and soft they were against his rough edged touch.
“Glass shattering,” Ryo murmured. “The coffee pot hitting the floor and breaking apart.”
Ryo blinked thickly and his breathing hitched for a moment before his eyes lifted back to Diana. He forced a shaky smile and held the baby out.
“Could you take her back now?”
Diana stared at him, a split second hesitation passing, and then her eyes softened and she held her arms out.
“Sure,” she said.
Ryo sighed as he slumped back into the pillows, his eyes falling half closed as he watched Mandy nestle down into her mother's arms. A hand passed over his arm and then strong fingers laced with his. Ryo's eyes slid to Dee and he gave his lover a tired smile.
“You look like you need some sleep,” Dee said.
Ryo nodded a little, the bare movement enough to rattle the pain around in his head some more. He stilled and sighed again.
“Alright,” Dee said, his voice soft and gentle. “You get some rest.”
They kissed softly and Ryo's tongue passed over his lips as his eyes slid closed. Dee smiled and brushed back soft brown hair.
“Just get some rest,” he murmured and drug his lips over the thick bandage on Ryo's forehead.
 
Dee's eyes burned against Diana and the FBI agent stared flatly back.
“Dee, Diana,” Drake began.
“Give him the baby,” Dee said, each word carefully bit out. “Now, Diana.”
Diana's lips pursed and she carefully turned to hand Drake the sleeping Mandy. Drake winced as he glanced between the two of them and then rocked Mandy a little.
“I think we're going to head downstairs,” he announced. “Diana, catch up later.”
“Sure,” she answered, her eyes still locked with Dee's.
The detective waited for Drake to round the corner before he snapped.
“What the fuck was that?” he hissed. “You brought your baby in to get an interview out of him? Goddammit, Diana--”
“That's enough,” Diana answered angrily. “They've identified those men found down on the docks. One of them was an FBI agent, Dee. An FBI agent. You should be grateful that I've held them off this long. They want answers, Dee, and they're going to start pushing.”
Dee stared at her and then slowly shook his head.
“That doesn't excuse what you did here,” he said lowly. “You know that, Diana.”
Diana didn't look away.
“Yes,” she said. “I know that. But it's done. We need to know what happened in that warehouse, Dee. Ryo's the only one who was there that's still alive. There's some evidence that's suggests that he--”
“He didn't,” Dee said flatly.
“Dee, they found him--”
“I'm warning you, Diana,” Dee said. “Don't.”
The FBI agent's lips pursed and she turned to leave.
“Call me when he remembers something.”