Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Learning to Love ❯ Possession ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Legal Disclaimer:
I just wanted to say,
That I do this for free,
Matoh-san owns FAKE
So please don't sue me!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 10 - Possession
 
 
He knocked three times on the door, listening to the rustling noises from within and the muffled curse as something thumped loudly on the floor. An oil lamp was lit from inside and the light shone through the threadbare curtains that hung in the window. From the other side of the door, the sound of a lock being undone reached his ears. The door swung open and there stood Diana, her hair a frightful mess and her bathrobe hanging off her supple body at a strange angle. Her eyes were full of surprise and a barely restrained annoyance.
 
“Diana, I need to talk to you.”
 
“Berkley…it's almost two in the morning. What could be so important?” Diana asked tiredly.
 
When Berkley did not reply, Diana's eyes widened with recognition and understanding.
 
“Oh God…have you…found him…?” she asked in a small voice.
 
Berkley shook his head and stepped inside, pushing past Diana and her disgruntled glare that would have made grown men weep like little bitches. He took a seat on her couch and put his head in his hands. Diana closed the door, rather forcefully, and stalked off into the kitchen to make some tea.
 
“I just don't know what to do…” Berkley said, over her rummaging through cabinets to find a teapot.
 
“He'll turn up; believe me, Berkley—ah hah! Found you, you little bugger!” Diana exclaimed, holding up the chipped kettle in triumph.
 
Berkley sighed as he listened to Diana talking to herself in the kitchen. He leaned back and looked up at the ceiling. There was a crack in the far corner of the room and a steady flow of water was dripping from it and into a small basin placed beneath it.
 
“You have a leak,” Berkley pointed out, as if the basin had been there for some other reason.
 
“Indeed, you are observant. I hope you like it strong because I didn't put any sugar in it,” Diana replied, handing him a battered tea cup with, what could have been at one point, a pattern of beautiful roses and baby's breath.
 
“It's fine. In fact, maybe it is better if I drink it this way,” Berkley answered, taking a sip.
 
He pulled a face; it was extremely bitter and had a horrible aftertaste.
 
“Well if it's that bad, have some sugar with that,” Diana said, watching his facial expressions as she handed him a small jar of sugar.
 
Berkley added sugar and took a sip, his face contorting with disgust as he poured more sugar into the cup.
 
“I've never known anyone who could ruin tea like this before…” Berkley muttered, still adding more sugar to the offending cup.
 
Diana began to laugh; Berkley never realized how beautiful her laugh was before. It was clear and beautiful as a bell. He found himself smiling despite himself as he poured the whole jar of sugar into his cup.
 
“Would you like some tea with your sugar?” Diana asked; both of them broke out into identical smiles.
 
“Well, Miss Spacey, if you wouldn't have so thoroughly ruined it, perhaps I would have a bit more tea with all this sweetener,” Berkley replied.
 
“Well, Mr. Rose, if you would have said something about not liking bitter tea, then I would have gladly made you something a bit…weaker,” Diana said, with a challenging grin.
 
Berkley looked at her before pouring himself another cup of strong tea. He then threw it back like it was whiskey. He put the cup down on the table and stared at her evenly before succumbing and gagging at the horrible taste in his mouth; Diana was cackling like an eccentric.
 
“That was…absolutely horrid…” Berkley said after a moment.
 
“Well, I like it strong, like my men,” Diana answered with a smile as she finished her tea.
 
Berkley studied her for a moment. Diana was a beautiful woman. Her skin looked warm and flushed in the lamplight while a strand of dark blonde hair fell from the bun at the top of her head and cascaded down to her shoulder. When the teacup left her lips, Berkley could see how pink and full they were and he felt the sudden urge to kiss her…
 
“So, Berkley, what's wrong? You look so down,” Diana said seriously.
 
“He's been gone too long, Diana,” Berkley replied, putting his head into his hands again.
 
“He'll come back,” Diana countered soothingly as she could.
 
“But what if he never comes back? Are we supposed to just forget about him? I know that I can't…I could never do that,” Berkley said softly, missing the sudden hurt look that passed across Diana's face.
 
“Do you want to be with him?”
 
Berkley looked up at her. There was something in her eyes…a shimmer that he'd never noticed before. Was she about to cry?
 
“Diana…?”
 
She looked down as a crystalline tear fell from her left eye. Diana's hands gripped at the cloth of her nightgown; the top part of her robe fell lower to reveal a thin nightgown strap beneath.
 
“What if…what if he found someone else…and left with them…then what would you do? Would you just hole up and hide from the world? Would you let anyone else love you?!” Diana asked suddenly, her voice rising in volume but her head never leaving the bowed position.
 
“What are you talking about?” Berkley asked, not sure why she was crying and why she was so angry.
 
“What if he doesn't love you, Berkley?” Diana asked, raising her head to meet his eyes.
 
“Then…” he looked down at his hands at a loss.
 
“Would you let anyone else love you?” Diana inquired, her voice shaking with emotion.
 
Berkley looked at her. She was standing, her face flushed pink as tears cascaded down her cheeks.
 
“I…”
 
Before he could even answer, Diana was on him, her head buried in his chest with her small arms wrapped around his lean torso. Berkley looked down at her as her body was racked with silent sobs. She was warm and smelled like something very pretty. However it was a natural aroma, not a perfume bought in a shop, mingled with the salty scent of tears. He put his arms around her, not knowing what else to do. When this one act was performed, he felt suddenly so warm and loved and complete that his heart swelled in his chest. She fit perfectly against him, like they were two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that had finally been put together.
 
When Diana pulled away, he silenced her apologies with a soft kiss on the lips. She tasted like the tea, but with her own sweetness that made it delicious instead of unpleasant. It was so warm and perfect that it was almost as if God had prolonged the moment so that it felt like eternity. And when they pulled away it was almost as if that missing piece in Berkley's heart disappeared again, leaving him strangely empty inside.
 
Diana touched her lips, her eyes widened slightly in a delicate portrayal of surprise. Berkley's own lips were tingling as well from their contact.
 
“Berkley…?” Diana whispered softly, looking up at him.
 
Her eyes were so full of compassion and love and understanding that Berkley melted right there. He knew that she was the one. The one that he was going to marry and share a life with. Berkley smiled at her and kissed her forehead before standing and heading towards the door.
 
Berkley turned to face her at the door and looked at her as she remained sitting, dumbfounded, on the couch. He smiled at her again.
 
“Maybe…maybe I could come over again…and we could have tea…and I'll fix this for you,” he said, indicating the leaking ceiling.
 
“Yeah…that'd be nice,” Diana replied, breathless, sending him a smile that made him weak in the knees.
 
“Well…ah, good-night then,” Berkley said, rushing out the door with a heavy blush.
 
The frigid night air cooled his burning cheeks quickly and he smiled to himself. That smile turned into a wide grin by the time he was a block away from Diana's flat. He even skipped a couple paces in the snow. At that moment he didn't care at all that there was something wicked coming towards the town or the fact that there was a full moon for a second night in a row. And if you would have mentioned a man named Ryo McLane to him at that moment, he would have replied with a blank face and a shrug. “Ryo who?”
 
And far away, in the church, the two white candles had been snuffed; the only indication that they had been lit were the thin wisps of smoke that still clung to their wicks.
 
 
pppddddpppp
 
 
Dee carried Ryo into the kitchen and set him down in the first available chair before hurrying to make some warm tea; Ryo was still looking rather livid from being outside in the cold so long. He watched as Ryo pulled the warm cloak that Dee had wrapped him up in around his small frame. Dee went up behind him and put his hands on those sloping shoulders, giving them a gentle squeeze. Ryo leaned back into the touch, so far that he was soon with his back to Dee's stomach and Dee's arms had wrapped around Ryo protectively.
 
“Are you…alright?” Dee asked softly.
 
“Yes,” Ryo replied.
 
“Do you remember anything?” Dee inquired after a moment.
 
Just as Ryo was about to answer, Mother came rushing in, Tsuki at her heels. Mother stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of them; Tsuki began to growl loudly, the hair on her back standing on end.
 
“What's wrong, Mother?” Dee asked, looking at her ashen face.
 
She did not answer but continued to stare in disbelief and fear at them; Mother even took a step back in alarm.
 
“Mother?” Dee said, raising his voice a notch.
 
“His…eyes…” Mother replied, putting a hand to her breast as if to calm her racing heart.
 
“What? What are you talking about, Mother?” Dee asked, worry evident in his voice.
 
Tsuki was growling and snapping her jaw, drool protruding from the corner of her mouth. Mother took another step back; Tsuki, a step forward. Dee left Ryo's side and went to Mother as Tsuki began to inch closer to the table. With both of their attention on each other, Ryo's eyes flashed a dangerous shade of cobalt as his pale hand protruded from beneath the warm folds of Dee's cloak. There, on the table, were the dishes stacked in a neat pile for the servants' breakfast the following morning along with silverware, enough for about twenty people. A few sharp knives were in the pile of utensils; Ryo picked the sharpest one and slipped it into his sleeve.
 
Tsuki was close now, about an arms length and with Dee and Mother still in conversation, Ryo took the chance to turn his head towards the wolf. That icy stare met a fiery golden; Tsuki began to whimper, her ears drooping, her tail coming to rest between her legs as she backed away from Ryo, who smiled evilly at her discomfort. When Dee turned to look back at him, those blue orbs had already shifted back into their warm natural brown. Ryo's face took on a worried and fearful expression.
 
“Dee…I'm afraid,” Ryo said, his voice small and shy.
 
Dee hurried over to him, putting his arms around Ryo with his back to Mother, who still remained rooted to the spot. Ryo looked up at Mother, his expression changing to a smug look as his eyes burned with a cerulean fire; Tsuki fled from the room as the flames burning in the hearth diminished. Mother gazed at him with terror and made the sign of the Cross across her chest.
 
“Don't worry. I'll take care of you,” Dee replied softly.
 
“Do you promise?” Ryo asked, his breath warm against Dee's neck.
 
“Yes. I promise,” Dee answered determinedly. “I won't let him hurt you again.”
 
Those eyes once again morphed into an eerie shade of blue and a twisted smile made its way to Ryo's lips…Arnon's lips.
 
“Well that's too bad, my darling Dee. It looks like you can't keep your promise…”
 
 
 
pppddddpppp
 
 
 
Dark…cold…like rushing wind on a cold fall day. The air was piercingly freezing as well…too sharply crisp to be considered pleasant. He was still, yet it felt as if he were drifting. It felt like he was falling, yet he didn't seem to be getting anywhere. Ryo's eyes opened into a world of darkness.
 
“Where…am I…?” Ryo wondered, his voice seeming to echo in the empty space though he had not spoken aloud.
 
Looking around, he realized it wasn't so dark after all when his eyes adjusted. There were millions of stars everywhere; beautiful constellations and planets that he could never really quite see from Earth. There were also different shapes floating around him that all seemed to shimmer in whatever scarce light came from the heavenly bodies and stars surrounding him. Ryo floated over towards one of the shapes, feeling overwhelmed at his weightlessness.
 
Upon further inspection, he came to find that the shape was really an oddly shaped window. When he looked into it, Ryo could see a hall. There was a heavy looking tapestry hanging on the wall and a window that flooded the corridor with the blue light from the full moon.
 
“Full moon…? Wait…what happened? Where am I?” Ryo asked himself.
 
Footsteps approached and two figures passed in front of the looking glass. It was Dee…and…
 
“That's…me…?” Ryo's brow furrowed as he watched them pass.
 
The imposter turned his head towards Ryo and in that fraction of a second, those dark brown eyes turned an icy blue. Before he could do anything, both Dee and Arnon disappeared from view. Ryo pushed himself away from the glass and floated to the next one, only being able to catch a glimpse of their swirling cloaks as they rounded a corner. Ryo kept following them, until he lost them all together and was left floating in an abyss of nothingness.
 
It was cold and quiet and lonely. Ryo felt strangely afraid. It was like a world of illusion that allowed him to see reality, but would not let him grasp it. He felt like crying in helplessness. His heart was aching for some odd reason and tears were beginning to sting at his eyes. Ryo touched a hand to his chest and rubbed, as if to ease that empty, hollow feeling. He tried to smile in spite of himself.
 
“Well. I guess this is what Arnon wanted all along. He wanted my body to be with Dee. Arnon doesn't hate Dee…though I can understand why it would seem that way…trapped in this world of emptiness…being able to see everything, yet not being able to be there…I guess…I guess I can sacrifice…for Dee…as long as…as long as…” Ryo thought as tears spilled down his cheeks, a weak smile flitting across his lips. “As long as Dee…is happy…I'd do anything…even if it means staying here…forever…
 
Ryo's cheeks were hot, whether it was from his blush or the flush from his sobbing. He watched as the glittering tears fell. Down…down…down…
 
“As long as he's happy…I'm happy…because to see him happy again…maybe…maybe Arnon can make him smile…maybe…because I sure couldn't…so maybe Arnon can…I hope he can…and I hope that I can see it too…because I'm sure Dee has a beautiful smile…I'm sure he does…” Ryo thought, letting his body relax once more.
 
He began to float again, drifting along through Space and Time, his tears still flowing from beneath his closed lids.
 
“I hope you're happy, Dee…because…that's all I wanted…was for you to be happy…because…because…”
 
Ryo smiled, thinking of Dee. His beautiful eyes, those long, elegant fingers…that face…those pink lips that he yearned to kiss, that warm embrace that Dee held him in…
 
“…Because I love you…”
 
His heart throbbed painfully worse than before and it was as if nothing else mattered. It was cold, and he was alone. He knew that he'd probably be trapped for a long while…and yet that wasn't what was making him so depressed…it was the fact that Arnon got to love Dee…to express to Dee how much he loved him…and Ryo found that he was so jealous because he never got to tell Dee how much he cared…and Dee would never know…but if he was happy…then it didn't matter…it didn't matter how much Ryo's heart ached for Dee's love.
 
“Oh, Dee…I love you so much…If only my words could reach you…would you choose me…?I want you to be with me! Choose me! Love me!”
 
Ryo felt incredibly selfish for wanting this. To deny Arnon what he waited for, for so long…It wasn't right…and Ryo felt horribly about it.
 
“I'm glad then…that he didn't choose me…because I'm so selfish! I'm sure my face must look so ugly right now…because those thoughts of wanting Dee to choose me instead of Arnon must have made my face look contorted with hatred and disgust…I don't even want to look at myself…”
 
He continued to float on in nothingness, enjoying the numbing feeling that washed away all the pain from his heart. It was so cold, and yet…it felt so good. It was something to focus on so he did not think such horrible, conceited thoughts. Ryo tried not to think of their being happy…because even though he wanted Dee to be happy…it was just too painful to see Dee happy with someone else who…who…
 
“Who isn't me…Why wouldn't you love me, Dee?! Why?!”
 
Tears again were flowing freely down his cheeks, like water being released from a dam. They would not stop coming and when he turned over in Space to rest on his back, the tears floated around him for a brief moment, hovering around his frame like shards of glittering glass or faerie dust before they disappeared into the abyss around him.
 
“I want you to love me! I want you to love me like I love you! I love you so much and yet…it's as if my heart cannot reach you…my love cannot reach you…
 
A beautiful voice then rang out in the never-ending space. It was crisp and clear, not far away sounding like Ryo's voice was. It was calm, comforting, and filled with the same emotions Ryo was experiencing at that moment: love, hate, fear, despair…all swirling around in Space and Time to form one voice. A voice of loneliness and despair one could only feel from extreme heartache and prolonged suffering.
 
“If you love him so much, you must protect him.”
 
Those brown eyes opened, expecting to find Darkness Eternal with his cape of the Night spread out before his gaze. However, there was a heavenly figure floating above him—an angel with flowing robes of white and gold. His skin was pale as marble and those eyes were blue as the sky on a clear autumn day. But, his face was lined with sorrow and lonesomeness that took away the image of a messenger from Heaven. It was Arnon.
 
“Protect him…from who?” Ryo asked.
 
A sad, heartbreaking smile made its way to those thin lips and that angelic face took on a look of regret. Ryo watched as those cerulean eyes moistened and glittered in the dim light of Space. A single, crystalline tear fell from Arnon's left eye and onto Ryo's cheek, where it mingled with Ryo's own salty tears.
 
“From me.”
 
 
_-_
 
 
After Talk with The Random Queen:
 
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Don't kill me because of the lack of updates. I've been so busy failing all my classes that I just haven't had any time to write! I know, I know, it's horrible. But now I think that I can get back into the swing of things and just finish this story. It will be the second out of twenty stories I've written that are complete. I guess I like to start things but not finish them…hmmm…oh well! GO ME!
 
About the Characters……………
 
Yes, it was very hard for me to write this chapter because of the constant switching between Arnon and Ryo. I didn't want to confuse anyone, so everything had to be worded a certain way…I still think it's badly done…but whatever. Do you really care? No! You got your update!
 
And yes, I finally gave Berkley a little bit of a shove into the right direction of being straight. It was weird and creepy, but for some reason I really like that couple so Berkley and Diana are hooking up and it will be amazing!
 
Now, as for Arnon, you'll just have to see. I know, you guys are like “Wait…so he's in the Abyss (I'll call it this until I'm a bit more specific about where they are…can you figure it out?!) but he's also in Ryo's body…eh…what's going on?!” Well, you guys are just going to have to patiently wait. I will give you a clue however, because I like to play head games. If you've ever seen CCS then you'll know this, but Ryo and Arnon are in a place that has to do with three things: Shadow, Water, and Illusion. Can you figure it out?
 
Parting Words and The Bribe:
 
Okay. I'll promise to work on the next chapter (which is halfway done, by the way) if you promise to leave some really nice reviews! I'll be sure to give you all extra Halloween candy if you do! Remember that flames will be used to burn last year's Spanish book at the bonfire this Saturday!
 
 
~The Random Queen
 
Thanks! And see you soon!