Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Mad World ❯ Anticipation ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mad World

Characters: FAKE: Dee X Ryo, hints of Bikky X Carol

Disclaimer: I do not own FAKE, nor do I own any of the characters therein. Further, this is not written for profit, but rather my own entertainment, and is in no way intended to infringe upon copyright.

Warnings: Shonen-ai (duh), possible yaoi in later chapters. TWT. High levels of angst (don't expect too much waff in this, people).

Italics are thoughts, and *~*~*~*~* is a POV/scene change

A quick thanks to Joan-san and Hannah-chan for beta-ing this for me. Any remaining errors are mine and mine alone.

With that out of the way, on with the show…

Prologue: "Anticipation"

A light misting rain was just starting to fall as Randy "Ryo" McLean drove home through the darkening streets of New York. It was Friday night, and he was looking very forward to the upcoming weekend. He and Dee had just closed a big case, and had earned a well-deserved three day weekend. It would be one of the first times that he and Dee could spend time together at home since Bikky had moved into his own apartment just a few weeks ago. But, even though the young man had moved out, it was obvious that he was still very close to Ryo; why else would he call the sandy-haired detective and practically beg him to come over and help him cook a fancy meal for Carol? Ryo smiled fondly at the thought of the blonde trying to make sure everything was "just right" for a romantic evening. Maybe he and Dee could have a little of the same this weekend.

Ryo turned on his wipers as the rain started to come down a bit more steadily. He then reached over and turned on some music, not wanting the rhythmic swishing of the wipers to put him to sleep. As he tuned into a classical music station, he grinned at the song he heard. It was Ravel's "Bolero," a piece that had been described to him as "lovemaking set to music." Hearing it, he couldn't help but think of the description as accurate; allowing his mind to wander a little further down that path, he spared a thought for the image of his lover, dark hair all mussed from anything but sleep.

It was these thoughts running through his mind and causing pleasant heat to pool in his groin that caused him to drive a bit faster than usual, wanting to get home. And it was these slightly distracting thoughts that made him just a little less cautious about checking the traffic at the intersections. But then, he had a green light ahead, so what was there to check? So, it was with these thoughts in mind that he failed to see the pickup truck barreling down on the intersection, not even slowing at the red light. And by the time he saw it, it was too late to do anything, no time to even try to get out of the way, nothing but an attempt to brace for impact and one word falling from his lips, "Dee," immediately drowned out by the scream of metal, the crash of glass, and an enveloping darkness.

*~*~*~*~*

AN: (Hiding behind a large rock) Ano, please don't kill me. Normally, I wouldn't say this, but since this is just a prologue (and I know, it's a short one at that), I'd like to know if anybody wants to know what happens next. So, before I post any more, please review! Besides, reviews are Muse food!