Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Mad World ❯ Beautiful Dreamer ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mad World

Dee X Ryo, hints of Bikky X Carol

Disclaimer: (looks at ID) Nope, not Sanami Matoh, so I obviously don't own these characters.

Warnings: See Prologue

Since Mediaminer is playing hell with my formatting, +++++ will outline Thoughts or Flashbacks, *~*~*~*~* = POV/Scene change

Again, much thanks to my beta readers. Review responses are below.

Chapter 1: "Beautiful Dreamer"

Dee stopped in at a flower shop on his way to the hospital, grabbing a bunch of daffodils for the one person who meant more than the world to him. He may not have known too much about romance, but he knew that Ryo would love the bright blooms and the sweet smell. He then rushed over to the hospital, not wanting to miss even one minute he could be spending with Ryo. He took the elevator to the correct floor and walked down sterile corridors on a path he now knew in his sleep. He smiled to the nurses on duty, knowing most of them by sight if not by name. They in turn had become used to the dark-haired man's nightly visits to the room at the end of the hall. As he got to the door, Dee took a deep breath and put a smile on his face before opening the door.

"Hi, gorgeous. I'm back. Did you miss me? You know I missed you." Every visit, the same litany. And just like every other visit for the last 4 months, the only response was the soft beeping of the heart monitor. Dee continued talking, filling the silence, "I brought some fresh flowers for you. Daffodils. I figured anything would be good as long as it drowned out some of the smell of this place, right?" As he spoke, he took the now-faded flowers from the vase by Ryo's bed and replaced them with the fresh daffodils. He then sat at Ryo's bedside and took his hand, rubbing his thumb over the back of Ryo's hand every now and again. Dee sat there and just talked to Ryo, telling him about his day, giving him the latest gossip from the precinct, sharing the dirty jokes he heard. He talked about Mother Penguin, and the latest from the orphanage. He told him about Bikky, and how the kid was doing great in school, now that he actually applied himself. And sometimes he just talked about nothing, telling the sandy-haired man how much he loved him.

All too soon, a nurse came in to let Dee know that visiting hours were over. "Thanks, Therese. Just let me say good night, okay?" She smiled and walked out of the room, waiting outside the door. "Well, darling, they're kicking me out. I love you, Ryo. I'm going to go home and dream about you, and maybe you can dream about me too, huh? I'll see you tomorrow." Dee then bent down and bushed a kiss across the his lover's pale forehead. "Good night, Ryo. Sweet dreams."

*~*~*~*~*

Dee sat on the sofa at home with a beer in hand, trying to pay attention to the TV. He wanted to focus on the sitcom playing out on the screen, but his thoughts kept getting away from him. His mind drifted over the past 4 months, over the time he'd learned to readjust to coming home to an empty apartment. Thinking about that time, he sometimes found it hard to put everything together. He could remember certain moments with crystal clarity, but the events between were a blur. He remembered Drake coming to the apartment, telling him there'd been a car wreck and Ryo was in the hospital, and he remembered staring at the doctor who stood there and calmly explained that Ryo had been unconscious and unresponsive, and that he may not wake up; these moments were sharp in his mind as broken glass, but he couldn't for the life of him remember actually going to the hospital. Obviously he got there somehow, but it was a complete blur. Most of those first few weeks were like that, snapshots of moments with nothing to string them together.

Looking back, it was almost surprising to Dee that he'd managed to keep from killing the man who caused the accident. The bastard had obviously been drunk, but nobody could prove it, since the police who came on the scene found him standing outside his truck drinking from a bottle of Mad Dog. Clever asshole could argue that he hadn't been drunk while driving, he was just driven to drink by the accident, and that would explain any alcohol in his blood. When Dee had heard the details, he'd been ready to kill. He wanted to destroy the bastard that had hurt his Ryo and put scars on that beautiful face. Amazingly enough, it was Berkely Rose who kept him from making such a huge mistake.

+++++

Rose grabbed Dee's arm, ignoring the furious man's yelling and ranting. He dragged him outside the hospital and practically slammed him against the wall. The commissioner glared at Dee with hard eyes as he spoke. "You listen to me, Latener, if you lay one finger on that man, I will see you in jail for assault and attempted manslaughter. Now, if you really want to go after him, be my guest. I'm perfectly happy to help nurse Ryo back to health. And I'll certainly explain to him that you were too much of a selfish bastard to be there for him. Do I make myself clear?"

+++++

The man's attitude had seriously pissed Dee off at the time…Hell, it still did. But it had done the trick. The last thing Dee would ever do was let the Commissioner anywhere near Ryo unless he was around too.

Dee glared down at the can of now-warm beer in his hands. He got up and walked into the kitchen, pouring the remaining beer down the sink. Looking over at the clock, he decided to get to bed, as he was on first shift tomorrow. He walked back through the living room, turning off lights and the television as he passed, and got ready for bed. Then, just as he had every night for the past 4 months, he knelt down beside the bed and prayed. "God, thank you for the time you've given me with Ryo. He's been the best thing that ever happened to me. Please, help him get well. I swear, just to hear his voice, and to see those eyes smiling at me, that would be enough. I don't care about the scars, or any of that. It's his heart and his soul I'm in love with. So please, help him wake up. Amen." Dee then double checked to see that the alarm clock was on and that his cell phone was next to the bed, just in case. Finally, his nightly ritual completed, he climbed into the queen-sized bed and pulled up the covers, drifting to sleep where he dreamed of his sandy-haired lover.

*~*~*~*~*

AN: I know this chapter is a bit slow, but I needed to set things up for Dee. See, Dee can do angst too! ^.~ I'm also aware that this chapter's a bit short, but I wanted to post it right away since I probably won't be able to post again until next week. Next chapter: Ryo wakes up (but I'm not promising everything to be "happily ever after")!

Responses to reviewers:

First, thanks to everyone who reviewed! They really help encourage me.

Bunny Meatball/Odango Usagi: Thank you! And I don't know, car crashes can be awesome, just not cool. ^.~

Sweet Sakura Curls: Woo-hoo, my first ever death threat! ^.^; Yes, I am pure evil, thanks for noticing.

Isuki: Here's my update! Hope you enjoyed.

Demeter: Yeah, Ryo is too cute to die, but not too cute to torture. ^.~

Kitty in the Box: I agree, Ryo always so busy taking care of others, he needs to be taken care of sometimes.

LilSheepi: Yeah, the prologue was short, but I just wanted to give a small taste to start. Hope this is a bit better for you.

firgodes7: As my mom says, "life isn't fair." ^.~ Here's the update for ya.

Devil666sc: I'm glad you want more! Here you go!

Wildefyre: Wow, one of my favorite authors reviewing my fic! Well, Ryo-san isn't dead, but I'm not sure that comatose counts as "okay." ^.^;;;