Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Mad World ❯ Clearing Skies ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mad World

Dee X Ryo, hints of Bikky X Carol

Disclaimer: I had a dream that I owned them, but then I woke up. Oh, but I do own Marin Fitzroy and Kathy Monroe.

Warnings: See Prologue

*word*= Thoughts or Flashback, *~*~*~*~* = POV/Scene change

Again, much thanks to my beta readers. Review responses are below.

Chapter 2: "Clearing Skies"

Dee was pulled from his dreams by the jangling of his alarm clock. He cursed loudly as he fumbled to turn the damn thing off. Dee had never been considered a morning person, but it had been infinitely worse since the accident. Waking up to a bed that should have held another warm body; yanked from the solace of dreams where Ryo was awake and alright. Some mornings he wanted to scream in frustration, but he always resisted the urge. He knew, from those first few weeks of Ryo lying comatose in the hospital that if he gave in to that impulse, he would completely loose control and end up on his knees, sobbing. So instead he walked into the bathroom and turned the shower on as hot as he could stand it. As Dee stood under that punishing heat, trying to get himself awake, he failed to hear his cell phone ringing on his nightstand.

*~*~*~*~*

Marin Fitzroy sighed to herself as she heard the phone continue to ring and then switch to voicemail. "Hey, Latener, it's Fitzroy. Listen, there was a cock-up with the scheduling and we're going to be on second shift today. So, you might as well get back to bed. See you later today." She hung up the phone and swore under her breath. "Goddamnit, what a way to fuck up my day." She hoped Dee got her message before he left his apartment. She'd been partnered with the man for just over three months, and, if asked, would have admitted that she respected the results he got with his job. She didn't like him as a person, and didn't like the methods he used as a detective, but he did get results. Of course, she'd been predisposed to dislike the man before she ever met him, having heard stories about his promiscuous lifestyle as well as being told he was something of a loose cannon. She couldn't say anything to the first of these accusations; he'd never tried anything with her, and he never participated when the guys were sharing their latest sexual conquest stories in the break room. But he definitely had a flexible view of the rules. It annoyed her that his behavior was mostly overlooked, but she knew it was due to the results he got.

She was looking forward to the day her usual partner, Kathy Monroe, returned from short term disability leave. When she'd spoken to the other woman over the weekend, Kathy had said she'd be back in just two more weeks. *Hmmm. Well, since my morning is now free, maybe I'll see if Kathy wants to do lunch.* So, slightly more cheerful, Marin left the precinct.

*~*~*~*~*

Dee stepped out of the shower, drying himself quickly. Wrapping one towel around his hips and draping another around his shoulders, he padded back to the bedroom to dress, but paused when he noticed the message light blinking on his phone. He frowned as he strode over to the nightstand. Phone calls to his cell rarely brought good news. He pushed the button to dial his voicemail and rolled his eyes when he heard the message. "Geeze, Marin, three months and you still can't use my first name?" he muttered to himself. *Well, guess I'll be visiting Ryo earlier than usual. But, hey, I'll be able to spend a bit more time than usual too.* Smiling at that thought, Dee went to the kitchen and turned on the coffeemaker, then went back on got dressed so he could go straight to the precinct from the hospital. He then walked back out to the kitchen, turned off the coffeemaker and poured the contents into a travel cup. Grabbing his keys and coat, he left the apartment, and, as soon as the door was locked behind him, he lit up his first cigarette of the day. Living with Ryo he'd gotten in the habit of not smoking in the apartment. But, with Ryo in the hospital, he had reverted to his old habit of making breakfast out of black coffee and cigarettes.

*~*~*~*~*

Dee pulled his car into a slot in the hospital's visitor lot. He took a last drag on his cigarette before stubbing it out in the ashtray. Thus fortified, he made his way into the hospital and up to Ryo's room.

"Hi, gorgeous. I'm back. Did you miss me? You know I missed you." Dee took his usual seat at the bedside. Taking that slender hand in his own, he took just a moment to stare at the face of his comatose lover. With his free hand, he reached up and caressed Ryo's check with the backs of his fingers. "You look like you're sleeping here. I've always loved watching you sleep. I know, I know, you thought I was just this big horndog, not a romantic bone in my body, but you always did bring out the best in me. Seeing you asleep, you're always so relaxed, so open. When you're awake, you sometimes get this little worry line right here…" With those words, Dee brushed his fingers right between Ryo's browns, then went on to play with that familiar sandy hair. "I don't think I'll ever get tired of telling you how amazing you are. And it isn't just your gorgeous body. Your mind is so quick and clever. And your heart is so warm. You've given me more than I ever hoped to deserve. As much as you've given me, I hate to sound greedy; but I'm going to ask you for more. You have no idea how much I want to see your eyes and hear your voice again. I know I always tell you, but words don't come close. I love you, Ryo McLean." With those words, Dee unconsciously tightened his grip on Ryo's hand. What happened next, however, caused all of the words to dry up in Dee's throat. Because he felt those fingers wrap themselves around his hand; felt slight pressure from that slender grip.

"Ryo?" Dee whispered. "Oh God, Ryo? Tell me this isn't a dream. Tell me I'm not going to wake up from this." Dee blinked several times, feeling a few tears escape down his cheeks, but he didn't dare wipe them away for fear of breaking whatever tenuous connection he and his lover were sharing. After four months of visits, Dee had barely dared hope for a reaction, any reaction. But now that he'd gotten one, he was frightened. Was this just his imagination? Or maybe just some weird muscle spasm? However, as the grip on his hand continued, his hope grew and drowned out his doubts. "Ryo… My God… I'm here. You can hear me, can't you?" Tears were now running freely down Dee's cheeks, but his mouth was curved in an amazed smile as he spoke. "I'm right here, Ryo. I'm here, waiting for you to come back to me. Please, you're halfway here already. Please, come back to me." Dee kept up a constant monologue, murmuring to the man he loved for close to 20 minutes. During all of it, the grasp on his hand never slackened. What happened next, though, caused Dee's heart to seize up in panic: that clutch which had until then been so firm suddenly relaxed. His tears, which had dried up while he was talking, came back with renewed force. "No! Ryo! Don't leave me again!" Dee sobbed brokenly.

No sooner were those words out of his mouth when Ryo's hand clenched his in a painful grip as his body jerked slightly and his eyes flew open. He shakily drew a few deep breaths, as if he had just broken the surface of a lake. His eyes darted around the unfamiliar surroundings coming to rest on the dark-haired man next to him, who was staring, open-mouthed. "Dee?" he croaked, in a voice too long unused. His throat protested the sudden return to activity, however, and he began to cough. Dee put his arms around Ryo, supporting him until the spasm passed. Once his breathing returned to normal, Dee said, "Don't try to talk yet, baby. I'm gonna get you some water. Stay here for me, please?" Ryo just nodded, feeling too winded to even try talking. Dee rushed out of the room and practically ran to the nurse's station. The nurse on duty was a matronly woman whom Dee had gotten to know over his frequent visits, and he could barely keep from shouting to her. "Sarah! Sarah, he's awake! He's finally awake!" The words tumbled out, his voice shaking slightly in his excitement. The woman blinked once, sorting out the words, then a delighted smile broke across her features. "Awake? That's wonderful, Mister Latener!" She bustled from behind the desk and down the hall in the wake of the dark-haired detective.

*~*~*~*~*

When Dee left the room, Ryo sat in the bed, mind spinning, desperately trying to put his thoughts in some sort of order. When he first woke up, he couldn't figure out where he was, but when he saw Dee there, he felt reassured. But when he tried to speak, the voice that came out didn't sound like his own. And, at first, he didn't really understand the look in those green eyes, a sort of disbelieving joy. Now, however, he realized he was in a hospital, and understood that the car crash he'd thought was just another part of his dreams must have been real. He began to shake in delayed reaction, those events still fresh and clear in his mind.

Thus it was that Dee burst into the room bearing a large cup of water, only to see Ryo looking lost and forlorn. He rushed over, putting the cup on the nightstand, and sat on the edge of the bid to gather the sandy-haired man in his arms. "Shhh, baby. It's okay now. It's all gonna be okay." Ryo clenched his fists in the front of Dee's shirt and buried his face in his chest.

"Don't go. Just…don't go." Ryo's voice got a little more normal with every word. "Promise me. Stay."

"Oh, baby, I've been here all along. I'll never leave. Promise." Dee laid a chaste kiss on the top of Ryo's head.

The sound of someone politely clearing her throat caused Dee to look up. He'd completely forgotten about Sarah, and that she'd probably need to examine Ryo now that he was up. Looking back down, he said, "Ryo? I'm not going anywhere, but the nurse needs to check you over, okay? I'm gonna stay right here next to the bed." Feeling the grip on his shirt loosen, he took one of Ryo's hands in his own as he sat down in the chair and allowed Sarah to get down to the practical business of helping Ryo recover.

*~*~*~*~*

TBC

AN: Another chapter down. This one turned out a bit waffier than I expected. Well, the angst fairy stepped out for coffee, and the fluff fairy had to put her two cents in. ^.~ Oh, and if your wondering, this is most certainly NOT the end. After all, just because Ryo's awake doesn't mean everything's okay (evil grin). And how's he going to handle having missed 4 months of his life?

Responses to reviewers:

As always, thanks to everyone for reviewing! They make me feel so loved!

muyoluv20: Yeah, and unfortunately, since I'm in charge, even more bad things keep happening to these good people. (evil grin)

Swordy: Well, I'm working on longer chapters for you. Hope this is a bit better. And don't worry, I plan on being plenty mean to Ryo too!

The Random Queen: Thank you! Here's the update.

Bunny Meatball/Odango Usagi: Welcome back! There's a bit more cute in this chapter too, even though the boys had to suffer for it.

ShadowPassinThru: I can't let Ryo die, don't worry. But that doesn't mean everything's just okay either ^.^;

Sweet Sakura Curls: Welcome back! I hope this chapter made things a little clearer. As for lingering damage, we'll have to wait and see. And the drunk driver? His punishment remains to be seen.

Devil666sc: And welcome back to you as well! I'm posting as fast as my muse will let me.

Kitty in the Box: Welcome back! Thank you for your comments on pacing. It seems to me that life's really more about lots of waiting with really brief but intense periods of action.

carla: Well, this probably brought more tears to your eyes. But hopefully a better kind of tears. ^.^

firgodes7: Thanks for coming back! Here's the latest.

Nameless: Well, a bit longer for you, ne?

Gayle: Wish I could say I'm sorry, but I was trying to make people cry. Hopefully this time we got some happy tears.

earthangel13: Why? Because torturing Ryo and Dee is what I do well. ^.~;

Nittle Grasper Wonder: Thank you for both reviews! You may just want to keep the tissues handy for the rest of the story.

Chris-Redfield26: Oooo, a Ryo plushie! Here, here's a Dee plushie to go with it!

Well, see you next chapter! Ja ne!