Fake Fan Fiction ❯ So Far Away... ❯ Chapter one ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own, and never will own, any of the characters/concepts of the manga "FAKE" such things belong to the esteemed writers and artists who put so much work into them.

SUMMARY: What could happen to make Ryo finally admit his feelings for Dee?

RATING: PG-13 but inclined to change in later chapters.

AN: This is my first ever attempt at a piece of fanfiction from a manga so please bear with me. I have only read the first volume, along with a wide variety of "FAKE" stories online so I can only hope I can do it, and them, justice with my writings. I would appreciate opinions and whether or not you would like me to continue. Thanks xxx

So Far Away…

By Strawberry_Miow

The early morning sunshine rained down upon the earth, rods of golden light hooking onto everybody and pulling them into the realms of the living. Morning dew lined the windows, steam flickering over the plain glass with a grim smile of hesitation, lost in the precarious state of dare. It was a cool morning; one of those that seemed to hover in-between both hot and freezing, never reaching either yet shifting every couple of seconds. One of those mornings where the air hung thick and heavy in the shrouding sky, clouds ruffled around the golden globe in a heated mist of prediction.

The fans were blowing frigid air throughout the, moderately sized, office of the NYPD`s 27th precinct, of course, the light mumbling complaints of the chief now and then about his officers apparently being more focused on their own body temperatures rather than those who no longer had them. It was a harsh if somewhat mediocre warning, shrugged off by many yet still lingering in the back of those crime-orientated minds.

"Damn, are you all suffering from heat retention disorder in here or something?" a deep voice spun through the space like roughened silk, gruff street accent tainted only by the light-hearted humour glistening in emerald-drop eyes.

A low growl could be heard reverberating from the general area of the door as the chief poked his head in; glaring, "Laytner!" the man grumbled as if that very word left a bitter taste in his mouth, "You're late - again!"

A nonchalant shrug, "Overslept" was Dee`s only way as to an explanation as he slumped down, very unceremoniously, at his overstuffed desk. Slipping his jacket off, he placed it casually over the back of his chair.

"Well there is a case that has been waiting for your indolent butt so get on it!"

The raven-haired officer gave a mock salute as his superior's footsteps receded down the corridor. Turning to his desk with a grunt, he began idly flicking through the papers.

"There is a group targeting children" a slightly softer voice than his own murmured, "The list of attacks and deaths in only a matter of a week is horrendous"

Verdant eyes looked up, meeting his partner's dark gaze he smiled, "Good morning to you too" a hint of coquettious allure in the tone causing Ryo to blush.

"Oh…umm…Good Morning" the fairer haired officer mumbled demurely, looking down at his computer screen before returning his eyes to Dee`s, "As I--"

"So, what about this group of kiddy killers?" Dee asked, uncaring timbre as per usual, "Got any leads?"

A flurry of paper and tapping cut through the conversation before Ryo answered, "All we have is the report and witness names from the latest attack, we have each person on the list to interview"

A dark head nodded before literally leaping up from the slightly tattered chair, grabbing his jacket as he slipped it back over his broad shoulders, "Right then, let's go!"

"But Dee…" obsidian eyes protested as they followed the younger man's figure, "You don't--"

"Fill me in on the way" Ryo sighed, having no choice but to follow his somewhat erratic partner. Grabbing his own jacket from the back of his seat he walked out of the door after Dee, making his way to the other officer's car he climbed in the passenger seat.

Dee grinned, turning the ignition key of the what he classed to be a `classic car`, Ryo always just thought that was his way of saying it was old. Either way, a car was a car right? Better than most of the station cars anyway, the officer shuddered at the memory of riding in such a hazardous vehicle.

"So…" the raven-haired figure asked as soon as they were safely (or as close as with Dee`s driving) cruising along the crumpled road out the back of the station, "There a central area these guys hang out? Where most`a the attacks been?"

A frown crossed the semi-japanese man's lips; eyes darkening slightly, "Near my apartment" he murmured sullenly, "Around the back of the building, most of the children have been those living nearby"

A look of recognition flashed over Dee`s face, "That's why you've been so…" he didn't know how to say it: disjointed, irritable, lost… "Distracted"

Ryo nodded, "Yes, I'm just worried…Dee, what if Bikky got targeted? Or Cal?" a misted haze reflected in the inky blackness of upset, worry etched clearly into those impregnable black eyes.

"Like they'd take Bikky" he snorted, "Kid doesn't know when to shut his trap. They'd let him go once they realised as much" sadistic nature of the case spilled from the officer's lips in a splay of sarcasm, his defence mechanism. He didn't like to admit such things but…it was closer to home than he liked to think. As was Bikky.

The older man gave him a glare worthy of a thousand deaths, tone somewhat indifferent as he retorted with a sigh, "I know you don't like Bikky but--"

Dee let out a short, sharp laugh, "Like him?! The kid's like--"

"You"

A muffled word that was probably better not to be heard escaped the officer's lips at his partner's remark, "Yeah, so we both grew up on the streets, orphans…so? That doesn't make me anything like him! He's obnoxious, stubborn, argumentative; a troublemaker!" a low growl resounded around the base of Dee`s throat as he finished off, good mood suddenly dampened.

Ryo couldn't help it, he had tried to keep it in but he just couldn't anymore…a loud wave of chuckles burst free of his mouth, Dee quirked a sharp brow at his friend and dark eyes quietened just enough to answer, "I'm sorry Dee but…you just described yourself!" a few more low-key laughs bubbled over before dying down once again as the morality of the case took hold with it's sticky fingers, once again.

"I did--" the raven-haired one began, stopping short as he pulled the car to a stop outside the building.

"Dee, what's--" the younger man held a finger to Ryo`s lips, hushing him as emerald eyes were locked on something across the road.

"Look over there…" he whispered, slowly removing his finger from his partner's lips, not noticing Ryo`s tongue unconsciously flick out and lick away the sweetness of the touch. Dark eyes followed where green were pointing, widening slightly at the scene before him.

"It…it's them!" Ryo exclaimed in a whisper, "It has to be!"

His partner nodded, gaze still locked on the group across the street and the kid that they were now talking to. Although communication with the child seemed somewhat over-friendly in the officer's books, or should that be over-hostile? A large, butch looking fellow had a hand on a young boy's shoulder whilst trying to lead the agitated child down the alleyway where the two could see, however somewhat hazy, the outlines of a few guys with bats. He swallowed hard, it was usually Ryo who this kinda stuff got to the most…not him. He grit his teeth together and let the feelings dissipate.

"Dee…" the worried voice of Ryo brought him out of his little impromptu meditation, turning to look briefly at his partner he raised a brow, asking the silence question of what.

"That…that kid…" came the answer in a muffled flurry, "It looks like…"

A sudden bang tore both of them to look across the street again, panic settling in somewhat alongside the right thing to do as they watched the man go to grab the kid, the child getting free only to be dazed by the sound of a gunshot.

A gunshot….Dee mused to himself, means the bastard`s armed…shit.

An echo of a muffled curse or two caught the officer's attention once again, seeing the other guys assist as they dragged the kid into the disillusioned alleyway, fazed by darkness in the midst's of the day. A flash of honey coloured hair glinted in the sunlight and the realisation hit home. Ryo reaching for the door handle instinctively, as did Dee.

"Ryo, wait! You can't bust in there alone! You'll--" Dee shouted just loud enough so the gang wouldn't hear as he ran to try and keep up with his ballistic, unnerved partner. His cry cut off with the one word screaming from Ryo`s lips…

"Bikky!!"