Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Valentine's Day Psychology (Series: Multiple Psychology) ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own FAKE or Sanami Matoh's wonderful characters.

Rating: NC-17 OT+16 (Yaoi, Multiple Partners)
Pairings: Various Pairings of Dee, Ryo, Berkley, J.J.
Timeframe: 1998, approximately 6 months after the end of Volume 7
Series: Multiple Psychology

Summary: Berkley Rose calls in a psychologist to help with some of the interpersonal conflicts around the precinct. In doing so, he gets himself and his detectives involved in a crazy experiment cooked up by a somewhat sadistic lady Doctor. Strangely enough, it all pays off for them when Valentine's Day turns into something far more than a day for treats and sweethearts.
 
 
 
Title: Valentine's Day Psychology
Author: Mori Ryoshi
 
 
Chapter 3
 
12-February-1998 - 20:30
 
“This is beautiful,” J.J. said in the softest of whispers. He and Ryo were standing on the balcony of The Japanese Palace where they'd just eaten one of the best meals of traditional Japanese cuisine either of them had ever had.
 
Ryo stood just behind the shorter man and sighed over the calming view. They could see the Statue of Liberty and there were several bobbing lights coming from ships reflecting on the black, glassy surface of the harbor. “It is beautiful. Thank you for bringing me here. The food was the best I've had since my last visit to Japan.” Ryo took the final step forward and hugged the small detective from behind, letting their bodies conform to each other. The night was cold and their combined warmth was comforting to both men.
 
The lavender-haired detective was surprised and more than a little confused, “Ryo? What are you doing?”
 
“I'm giving you a little of what you want,” Ryo said watching as his breath made the other's hair shiver.
 
“But,” J.J. whispered, “You're Dee's.”
 
Ryo nodded against J.J.'s head. “And, Dee's mine.” Ryo tightened his grip slightly as he rubbed his cheek against the shorter man's soft hair. “We'll always have each other. We want you to have the same thing,” He quickly continued as he felt J.J. attempt to turn in his grasp, “Not with us…you need to find the person who's right for you.” Ryo thought, “I think that person is Drake; but you have to make that decision.
 
The shorter-man shivered at the depth of feeling he heard in Ryo's voice, “I want to know what it feels like. The love you and Dee have. I've never felt it before.”
 
Ryo nodded again and remember what Dee had repeated from Rose…what he had revealed about himself in the comments. The two men stood in silence, watching the night pass by, as the chill air began penetrating even their combined warmth. “We should be going to the Met,” Ryo whispered. “But, first, I'd like to invite you over for Valentine's Day evening.”
 
“Valentine's Day?” J.J. did turn in Ryo's strong embrace, “That's a day for lovers, partners…not for a third wheel.” He buried his face in Ryo's coat as he wrapped his own arms around the larger man.
 
“You wouldn't be a third wheel, J.J.,” Ryo whispered, “I've learned a lot about you today. And, more importantly, I've learned that you're special to me.”
 
Ryo barely heard J.J.'s whispered, “Special,” Which was muffled by Ryo's heavy cashmere coat. He clearly heard J.J.'s groan as he grappled with the decision of whether or not he should accept the invitation. The younger man sighed deeply before saying, “I'll be there.”
 
With a smile, Ryo reached out and pulled J.J.'s face away from his chest, when he could meet the other man's eyes, he said quietly, “I'm glad.”
 
The small detectives eyes glinted with unshed tears and he immediately buried his face into the other man's chest once again. Once his face was hidden away, he asked, “What can I bring? Wine? Dessert? I want to bring something.”
 
“I'd love it if you brought the wine,” Ryo hugged the smaller man around the shoulders then tilted his head to one side so he could catch the others eyes. “Are you going to be all right tonight?”
 
J.J. nodded, his eyes never leaving Ryo's. Finally, he gave the other man one of his beautiful, giddy smiles. “I'll be all right!” He was back to his hyper self and almost bounced out of the taller man's grasp. “Let's go. It's an opening night at the Met!” J.J. pulled away and stood leaning against the railing…the harbor was a striking frame to the young man and for a moment, Ryo felt a little breathless.
 
“Let's go,” Ryo agreed.
 
It didn't take them long to get to J.J.'s Neon and start toward the Met. There was a palatable excitement in the vehicle as they approached the long line waiting in front of the gallery. “Is it okay if we just park in the garage instead of waiting for a valet?”
 
“I don't mind,” Ryo grinned, “The walk will do us good.”
 
J.J. turned into the garage and paid the evening's parking fee. He had to drive to the fifth level before he found an empty parking place and pulled the car in. The two men exited the vehicle and headed for the elevator for the ride to ground level, where one floor down, they were joined in the lift by four people. The new couples spared the two gentlemen curious glances but no one said anything. One of Ryo's biggest fears, in being in a same-sex relationship, was how others would react…he'd been pleasantly surprised to find that most people either didn't care or were accepting. The demonizers were the exception. It had been a relief, especially since he'd already given his heart to Dee and he did not intend to take it back.
 
They exited the lift and all headed to the beautifully illuminated building. There was a small crowd milling around outside and several well-to-do individuals were being let out of their limousines right in front of the red carpet. Opening nights always were a show at galleries…even more so in New York where everything seemed bigger.
 
J.J. handed the doorman their passes and they immediately checked their coats. Ryo scanned the room looking around to see if anyone appeared familiar…after ten years, he wasn't certain that he would recognize any of his parent's old friends. “Come on, Ryo,” J.J. hooked his arm around Ryo's and began to lead him to the entrance to the display. “You're going to love tonight!”
 
At the entrance to the large display, the two men stopped and had to stare; the entire room had been transformed into Japan. The servers wore traditional Japanese attire and Japanese music played softly in the background. Paper lanterns were hung from the ceiling and from numerous posts; their gentle, flickering light gave everything a soft, mysterious feel. “I have a program,” J.J. handed Ryo the glossy pamphlet. “Where should we start?”
 
Ryo was feeling overwhelmed. He'd never returned to the Met after his parents' murder because he was afraid of the memories that he'd face. “Maybe this isn't such a good idea?” He took a step backward before he felt J.J.'s gentle touch on his arm.
 
“It's okay, Ryo,” The lavender-haired detective whispered. “Let's find someplace quiet and you can calm down.” He steered his taller companion toward another room further into the building and finally found an empty room with a long bench. He directed Ryo to sit down before kneeling in front of him. He laid his hands on Ryo's thighs and looked up into the other man's face. “Ryo, talk to me. What's wrong?” As soon as he asked the question, he realized what was happening. “You always came with your parents.” Ryo managed to nod. “You've never been back since you lost them.”
 
“I couldn't face coming here without them before,” He paused and sighed, “I thought tonight I would be alright. But when I looked around, so many opening nights from before…the memories all came back,” He reached up and wiped tears away. “The memories came back of being here with them.”
 
“Are the memories good ones? Were you happy when you came with them?”
 
“Yes! I wasn't always the best art appreciation student; but I always loved opening nights. The artists who came…you could talk to the people who painted the picture or molded the sculpture. It was always amazing to see such varied people all gathered together for a common purpose.” Ryo's eyes lit up at the memories. “As a child, I met people that most adults never would, and regardless of my age, I was treated as an equal.”
 
J.J. smiled, “Then what you need to do is hold on to those pleasant memories. Let them be your guide. Your parents wouldn't have wanted you to give up enjoying art and opening nights because they were killed. They probably wanted to see you grow up with a love of art and there's no better place for art than here.”
 
Ryo had to laugh softly, “Yes, there is.”
 
“Where?!” J.J. challenged.
 
“The Sorbonne in France,” Ryo grinned.
 
J.J. grinned and started to giggle. “He's going to be all right.” He stood up and sat down next to the larger man. “You're probably right; but I've never been there.”
 
“You really should go sometime, J.J.,” Ryo said seriously. “It's beautiful. There is so much to see, it's amazing. There are works by all the masters. Even the works by those less well known are wonderful to look at and study. Many times when there are works in series, you can see the development of the artist's style, their color progression, and the maturation of the subject matter. I've never enjoyed the rest of France; but the Sorbonne is a world unto itself.”
 
“You really enjoy art. Don't you?”
 
“I love it.”
 
“Do you draw? Paint?” J.J. was curious…it would stand to reason that Ryo was artistically inclined since he had such an eye for detail.
 
Ryo shook his head, “I can barely draw a cube. In fact, in high school, I failed my art class. My skills are all cerebral.”
 
“Art skills, maybe,” J.J. whispered. More loudly, he said, “What types of hobbies are you into?”
 
“I love music. I played the piano and guitar growing up, took the lessons, and even competed briefly. In the marching band, I played trumpet and trombone. In the symphonic season, I played strings. My favorites were always the violin and cello. They have such a range of expression that they made it so easy to bring the music to life.” Ryo looked at the floor as he continued, “I wish I had the room for a piano in my apartment; but I barely have room for my guitar.”
 
“That's cool,” J.J. smiled. “I always wanted to learn to play strings; but my parents pushed me toward the woodwinds. I can play clarinet, oboe, bassoon, and flute.” Ryo grinned, “Don't laugh. So what! I play the flute.”
 
Ryo finally had to laugh, “It's not that, J.J. I'm trying to picture you playing the bassoon. It would be taller than you were.”
 
“I'm short; but not that short; and I'll have you know that I've been this height since seventh grade. Back then, I was the tallest kid in the class.” J.J. rolled his eyes. “Geez! What's the Rodney Dangerfield line…I don't get no respect.” The lavender-haired man shook his head and had to join in the laughter. “It wasn't as tall as I was but the fingering was difficult. You need to have a large reach to play the bassoon.”
 
“I'm sorry, J.J.,” Ryo brought himself under control and his laughter faded to periodic giggles. “That was rude of me.”
 
J.J. tried acting offended, and came up short as he still fought back his own giggles, “It was rude of you. You might have hurt my feelings.”
 
“A friend of mine in high school played flute. He was very, very good and even went to a conservatory to study it. Last time I spoke to him, he was playing with the San Francisco Symphony.”
 
“That's neat,” J.J. tapped Ryo's shoulder, “Hey, I heard a rumor that they're supposed to play with Metallica next year. Is that really going to happen?”
 
“I don't know. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask him. I've heard some of their recordings, and if there is an orchestra that could match Metallica's power, they would be it.” Ryo had to shake his head in amazement. “Who would have thought? Here we are in one of the most prestigious art galleries in the world and we're talking about a heavy metal rock band.”
 
“Even more amazing,” J.J. said with a wide grin, “Is who's doing the talking. Do you think anyone would look at us and think we even knew who Metallica was?”
 
“Probably not. We look too sophisticated,” The tall man gave the room a snobbish glance. The two men shared a hearty laugh over that comment. Ryo sighed. “Let's get back to the party. I think I'm alright now.”
 
J.J. rubbed his hands along Ryo's still crisply ironed tux, “Or we could stay right here. No one would bother us and we could take more time to get to know each other.”
 
Ryo stood and pulled J.J. to him. The smaller man immediately formed himself to the other man's body causing the older man to shuffle his feet to maintain his balance. “We can get to know each other better later. Right now, let's look through the exhibit. I do want to be able to tell Dee about it.”
 
“Speaking of Dee,” J.J. stepped back and adjusted his own tux so it lay properly again, “What are they doing tonight?”
 
“Rose was taking him to World View and then to the opening of Club Matrix.”
 
“Club Matrix?” J.J. bounced several times before calming down enough to continue; “I've seen some of the early releases on it. That's going to be the sweetest club in New York if anyone can get in. How was Rose able to get passes?”
 
“He went to school with the owner,” Ryo grinned at his bouncing companion. “It's not possible to keep him down.
 
“Damn,” J.J. said with feeling, “I'd love to go to that club.”
 
“Then slap me now,” Ryo frowned, “I turned down a chance to go tonight.”
 
“You turned Club Matrix down for me?” J.J.'s bright blue eyes were glazed over with tears. Ryo nodded. “You're awesome. Today has been an eye opener for me. I see you in a completely new light. But…is it all right, if I still glomp Dee every once in a while? Just for old time's sake?”
 
“I wouldn't have it any other way, J.J.” Ryo grinned. “Glomp him all you want. However, remember not to get any more complaints about it…we don't want Doctor Wilson coming back. I wonder from which of the seven hells Rose dragged her out of?”
 
“She was evil,” J.J. agreed. “I know Dee was rough with me Monday; but she didn't need to be so cruel to him in front of everyone…even if she was having a bad day.”
 
Ryo shrugged, “That was a bit uncalled for. Rose seemed to have enjoyed it though.” After a pause, “At first, I thought she was in cahoots with Rose…you know trying to split Dee and I up the way Rose had with Diana Spacey that one time. I knew there was no way that she'd run her idea past the commissioner when she paired him up with Dee. Did you see his face when he realized who his `sweet heart' was going to be?”
 
J.J. broke out laughing, “Oh, yeah! I had wished that I'd had my camera. I would have plastered that picture up in every room in the precinct! The great Berkley Rose ready to break down and cry! I thought he was going to fall through the floor. I had expected to be paired up with Dee; but it was worth not being his sweet heart to get to see that look on Rose's face. Although, Dee's expression wasn't much better.”
 
“Huh? What?” Ryo asked, “I didn't look at Dee's face. What was it like?”
 
“If you thought Rose was going to fall through the floor, Dee was much worse. He looked ready to dig through to China using nothing but his hands. I really thought he was going to throw up right then and there. I don't know which of them were more terrified of the prospect, Dee or Rose.” J.J. shrugged, “They seem to be getting along pretty well, though. They didn't kill each other when they were trapped on the elevator today.”
 
The two men had been gradually making their way back to the cultural exhibit and were again standing in the entrance. This time Ryo felt no apprehension and knew that if he did have another problem, his partner for the night would be there to give him any support he needed. “I didn't know they were trapped in the elevator. When did this happen?”
 
“I guess it got stuck right after we rode down. Remember the elevator took off as soon as we stepped off?” Ryo nodded as they stepped into the room. “Well, Dee and Rose got on and were on their way down when it stopped midway between the fifth and sixth floors. They were trapped for a good two hours.”
 
“Wow,” Ryo was a bit confused; “I wonder why he didn't tell me about that. They had plenty of time to talk while they were stuck.” “What had happened in that elevator? Was that somehow tied into Dee driving the commissioner's car?
 
Ryo's musing were interrupted by a high pitched female voice crying out, “Ryo? Is that you Ryo?”
 
Ryo glanced around searching for the owner of the voice, “Pricilla?” He asked when he saw the woman walking over to him. “I almost didn't recognize you. You haven't aged a day since I last saw you. How did you do it?”
 
She leaned in and said in a conspiratorial tone, “Plastic surgery, how else would I have maintained this face. How are you doing? I haven't seen you in so many years.”
 
“First, Pricilla, this is J.J. Adams. He's a detective with me at the 27th Precinct. J.J., this is Pricilla Wesley. Last I heard, you were one of the restoration specialists here with the Met.”
 
“I'm now head of the department,” She said with a large smile as she shook J.J.'s hand. “I was promoted almost five years ago.”
 
“Congratulations,” Ryo answered her questions, “I'm doing very well. I haven't been back to the Met since my parents were killed.” He said by way of an explanation.
 
“I was sorry to see them pass. I remember seeing you at their funerals. Was that really the last time I saw you?”
 
“It's the last time I saw you.”
 
While Ryo and Pricilla caught up on what had happened over the last ten years, J.J. wandered off to speak to a couple of people he'd met at the last opening night. The pair met up some time later more than ready to focus on the beautiful pieces of art.
 
“Ryo, there's a wonderful sculpture over in the far corner,” J.J. pointed toward it, “The artist is here; but I can't understand her, she only speaks Japanese. Do you think you could translate for me? According to the plaque, she worked from a series of photographs so she got the proper scale. I'd like to know how the photography was handled because the results are magnificent.”
 
“Let's go, J.J.,” Ryo smiled, “I don't mind playing translator. Moreover, I really do want to learn more about photography. After seeing your work, I realize there's much more to it than simply point and click.”
 
“Actually, it is simply point and click,” J.J. shrugged, “It's just that most people don't know where to point and when to click.” He finished with a grin.
 
The two men were laughing companionably as they approached the sculpture. Ryo stopped dead when he saw the work. The said sculpture was a pair of nude men in a passionate embrace. The detail was so exquisite that you would have sworn that it was truly made up of two men who had been painted to look like statues. He did several double takes to make sure neither man was breathing; they were so lifelike. “Magnificent.”
 
“Konban wa, Shinshi.” The young woman bowed to Ryo and J.J.
 
“She said, `Good evening, Gentlemen,'” Ryo translated for J.J. “Konban wa, Sensei.”
 
The woman brightened when she realized Ryo spoke Japanese. She immediately introduced herself and Ryo followed suit. They spoke for several minutes about Japan and how he knew the language and what had made her interested in becoming a sculptor. Finally, he brought up J.J.'s questions concerning the photographs behind her artwork. She pulled out a small portfolio that held the pictures she'd worked from. The two men sat down with her and poured over the pictures, amazed at how the photographer had been able to capture such detail and still give her the kind of scale she required to make life-sized images.
 
They learned that the models for the sculpture had been her younger brother and his life partner. The photographer was her older brother who was well known in Japan for his unusual subject matter and his amazingly lifelike photos. When she said that he was here tonight, J.J. asked if she could introduce them.
 
She introduced them and the three men talked for most of the rest of the evening. Her brother spoke English so J.J. didn't need Ryo as a translator; but the young photographer was so fascinating, that Ryo stayed with them…learning more about photography in the following three hours than he had in the previous years of his life. When it was nearing midnight, the crowd was starting to thin out and the three men headed to an all-night diner to continue their discussion. Ryo wasn't worried since Dee was at a club. “He won't be home until very late anyway; so he won't worry.
 
The trio lost track of time as their conversation started to turn from strictly photography and to personal matters. When they parted ways at five am, they were exhausted. “Dee is going to be so worried. I've never stayed out all night before…at least when it wasn't for the job.” On the drive back to Ryo's apartment, J.J. was almost falling asleep at the wheel. “J.J., I don't want you driving home this morning. You're too tired. You can stay at my place and I'll call into work to let them know we'll be late. Rose will understand.”
 
J.J. pulled into a parking place at the end of Ryo's street and the two men got out to walk inside, “Dee won't mind?”
 
“No,” Ryo and J.J. bumped into each other several times. Their exhaustion was causing them problems with walking in straight lines. “He'd be more upset if I allowed you to drive home and you were in an accident.”
 
“All right, I appreciate it,” J.J. stepped into the well-lit lobby with Ryo right behind. “I am tired.”
 
The two men rode the elevator to the apartment in silence. At the apartment door, Ryo quickly unlocked it and let them inside. He was surprised that there were no lights on and that he couldn't hear Dee's usual snore. “Dee?” He asked quietly before turning on the living room light. “No Dee?” Ryo looked in his bedroom and even in Bikky's and didn't find Dee in either, “I wonder where he is?”
 
“Ryo, they were going to a club,” J.J. was trying to think logically, “Maybe Rose had too much to drink and they weren't willing to risk the drive over. He's probably sleeping it off at Rose's the same way that I am here.” He didn't want to admit that he was privately happy that Dee wasn't there. “Maybe we can have a little fun if we don't both fall asleep.
 
Ryo frowned before seeing that J.J. was probably right, “You're right, J.J. That is what happened, I'm sure of it.”
 
“Do you have any clothes that I could wear?”
 
“You're about the same size as Bikky…around five ten?”
 
“I'm five eight. But five ten's closer than your six two? Six three?”
 
“Six one; but who's counting,” Ryo said with a smile. “Bikky's stuff will fit you. I'll get you something. Do you want to take a shower? It would relax you and help you get to sleep faster.”
 
“I'd love to.”
 
“The bathroom's the second door, on the right; towels are in the closet just inside the door. I'll get something from Bikky's room and leave it outside the door.”
 
“That's okay,” J.J. said with a soft laugh, “You can bring them in. It's not like you have no idea what a man's body looks like.”
 
Ryo gave a small laugh and blushed slightly, “That's true. Nothing I haven't seen before. Go get started on your shower and I'll get your clothes.” As J.J. closed the bathroom door, Ryo said loud enough for him to hear, “Save some hot water for me, I'm going to get a shower too before going to bed.”
 
“Okay.” J.J. quickly stripped off his now rumpled tux and folded it up, “These weren't made to be worn for twelve hours straight.” Although, he did remember that when they had entered the apartment, Ryo's tux had looked just as good as when they'd left. “Oh, Well. I need to ask him how he keeps such perfect creases after twelve hours.” Within minutes, he was in the shower, the hot water relaxing him even more. It had been a wonderful evening and he'd enjoyed himself more tonight than he had in a long time. He knew that Ryo had enjoyed himself and the exhibit had been very well done. The photography he'd seen made him want to go to Japan and experience the beautiful landscapes and clear ocean for himself. The sculptures had sent shivers down his spine and best of all the wall hangings and ink work had shown such an ageless quality that he knew he could revisit the show for years to come and he'd always see something new.
 
He heard the door open and Ryo's quiet footsteps as he walked into the steamy bathroom, “I have some clothes for you. I'm laying them on the end of the sink. Is it alright if I take your tux and hang it up for you?”
 
J.J. opened one of the frosted glass shower doors and poked his head out. “I'd appreciate that. Otherwise, you could just loan me a hanger and I can do it myself.”
 
“I don't mind, J.J.” Ryo gave the younger man a smile and pointedly ignored the slim body that was framed by the door and the wall. He acted like he didn't see it; but J.J.'s trim, well muscled body was hard to ignore. “Finish your shower,” With that last gentle command, Ryo picked up the other man's tux and left the bathroom, closing the door firmly behind him.
 
Well, Ryo,” J.J. observed as he ducked back under the hot water, “You're not as oblivious as I thought you were.” The lavender-haired man washed his hair and continued to think about the changes he'd seen in Ryo after he'd looked out of the shower at the older man. “You look wonderful in that fitted shirt. You didn't think that I'd notice the slight tightening of your pants when you saw me. Ryo, I know you would refuse to admit it; but you were turned on…you wanted what you saw. I know I want you and that was clearly evident in my body language. I couldn't have kept it hidden had I wanted to…even with the frosted glass my cock would have been visible the way it stood at attention for you. I'd love to suck you off, or have you inside me, or,… Oh! Ryo! If you would allow me, I would love to have you. To take you to a different plane as I made love to you until you came with every ounce of your being. Ryo,” J.J. stopped his thoughts with an effort. He was beginning to physically ache he was so hard. He'd been sneaking glances at his companion the entire night and now that they were alone in the same apartment, he had no idea how he could possibly behave himself. “This is going to be a long morning. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to stay.” J.J. turned the dial to cold and shivered as the icy liquid struck him. It accomplished its purpose so that when he stepped from the shower he could pull on the clothes that Ryo had brought.
 
J.J. quickly dressed and hung the towel on the drying rack. Ryo had thought to leave a new toothbrush for him and he took the opportunity to brush his teeth. He double-checked that he'd wiped down the shower and straightened everything up so it looked the same as it had when he'd come in. Only when he was completely satisfied, did he exit the bathroom and go in search of his host. He found Ryo sitting on the couch in the living room; his head was lulled back so it rested on the back of the overstuffed cushion. J.J. just stood and watched the older man breathe for several minutes before walking over to gently shake his shoulder. “Your turn, Ryo. Go take a shower.”
 
“Thank you, J.J.” Ryo stood and ran his fingers through his hair. “You can take Bikky's room if you don't mind the clutter. Or, take my bed, I'm going to wait out here until Dee gets home.”
 
“That's alright, Ryo,” J.J. smiled, “I'll stay out here and wait with you.”
 
“You should try to get some rest.”
 
“So should you.”
 
“I know; but I'm worried,” Ryo looked at the door again, “I already called the office to report that we would be late. I guess we were supposed to be off today anyway. None of us were even on the schedule.”
 
“It would have been nice to have been told that,” J.J. was more than a little irritated that he'd had a day off and hadn't been told about it. “Oh, well. We can sleep all day.”
 
“Yeah, we can,” Ryo laughed softly and headed for his bedroom to grab his pajamas before going to the bathroom to get his own shower.
 
When he re-entered the living room, he saw J.J. curled in the corner of the sofa, his legs folded under him and his face pressed against the cushion. He looked so peaceful that Ryo had to stop and just watch him for a few minutes. “One minute he's serious; the next he's like a little boy. J.J., which one is the real you? The serious detective who can shoot as well, if not better, than I can? Or, are you the hyperactive young man? Or, are you both? You're such a contradiction. If I didn't have Dee, I could easily see myself falling for you. Such a combination of innocence and strength is undeniably desirable. You made me feel special tonight in a way that no one else ever has. You always had your eyes on me…even when you were talking with that photographer, you made me feel as if I was the center of your universe. Thank you, J.J.
 
Ryo went to the hall closet and pulled out several large blankets that he took over to the couch after turning off the lights. The sun was just starting to break over the horizon when he settled back on the couch and shifted J.J. so he was lying against his shoulder. He settled the blankets over their bodies and leaned back against the couch to slowly slip into a deep restful sleep. His final thought before dreams closed in around him was, “I understand why Dee loves to sleep with me like this…there's such a feeling of closeness and peacefulness.” Ryo slipped into wonderful dreams of what he'd started to plan for Valentine's Day evening.
 
~~~~~
 
Rose carefully navigated the three blocks to his brownstone. He realized as soon as he sat behind the wheel of his car that he'd had too much to drink to safely drive even the short distance home; but he didn't have much of a choice…there was no way that he was leaving his vehicle at the restaurant lot. The careful driving paid off and the two men reached their destination safely.
 
Dee's first impression of the three story house was that it was beautifully maintained; the second was that it wasn't what he'd expected the commissioner to live in. “A condo maybe…or an high-rent apartment complex; but nothing like this.” Dee could even picture his companion for the evening to live in a house outside the city. “The more I learn about this man, the more I realize that I know nothing about him and what I thought I knew about him was wrong.
 
Berkley parked the vehicle in the private garage located behind his home and the two men walked from the garage to the locked gate at the back of his property. Within minutes, the two men were inside the large, homey kitchen. The commissioner led the way upstairs barely giving Dee a chance to look around at the artwork that lined the walls and the beautifully accoutred rooms that they passed. On the second floor, Dee was shown to one of the guest rooms, “If you would like to take a shower before changing, there are towels and necessities in the bath. I'll be across the hall in my bedroom if you need anything.”
 
Dee shook his head, “I'll just change clothes and brush my teeth. I'm sure the car will be here for us shortly.”
 
“Shay is sending it over at nine-thirty; so we have plenty of time.”
 
“Okay,” Dee tossed his duffle bag on the bed, forgetting about the bottle of wine.
 
Rose left and headed for his bedroom. “The evening's gone well so far. I've kept control of myself, and nothing too unforeseen has happened. Dee seemed to enjoy dinner and I certainly enjoyed his company.” The tall man reached into his closet and pulled out a pair of skin-tight black leather pants and a royal purple silk shirt. The shirt was a perfect compliment to his violet eyes and he knew if anything, the rich shade made his unusual eye-color stand out even more. He laid the two pieces on the bed before searching for the vest that matched the pants…when he found the soft leather piece; it quickly joined the rest of his outfit on the bed.
 
With his chosen outfit ready, Rose retired to the bathroom and took a quick shower, enough to wash away the remnants of his nerves from earlier in the evening. He quickly dried off and re-entered the bedroom to get dressed, his still damp hair was finger styled into a more punk-like look than the one he normally wore. He privately wondered how his detective would react to a less buttoned down version of Berkley Rose… “or Sly Fox as Dee has named me. I hate to admit it; but I like the nickname.” He spared a soft chuckle at the thought. “He'll probably think it's all an act, never realizing that the conservative presentation is the façade.” During his meandering thoughts, the tall-blond man had struggled into the leather pants and slipped into the shirt. At last, Rose slipped on the soft leather vest and unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt before attempting to sit down in the tight pants. “That's the bad thing about leather…when you first put it on, damn is it binding in all the wrong places. Once it stretches and forms to you, it frames all the right places.” Berkley smiled at that thought as he adjusted the clothes so they hung just so.
 
He stepped back into the bathroom to give himself the once over…making sure that the clothes fit perfectly and that his overall appearance was suitable for the club. With a few final adjustments to his hair, he brushed his teeth and put in his contacts. He hated to wear them. He'd worn glasses since he was in third grade and had become quite comfortable having them as a barrier between himself and the world. The contacts also had a tendency to leave his eyes feeling dry and irritated. For short periods, he could tolerate them and tonight was going to be one such night.
 
Not bad,” Berkley thought, “I don't even look like a police commissioner tonight.” He had to smile at that observation. He'd worked so hard to present a professional, clean-cut, in-charge persona for so long, it felt wonderful to have the chance to relax and enjoy himself, if even for one night.
 
Dee knocked on Berkley's bedroom door and was surprised when it swung right open. “He must not have latched it,” Dee thought somewhat on edge. He still wasn't one hundred percent trusting of the older man; but he'd come a long way since that morning. He spared the large bedroom a glance and was amazed at how beautifully everything he'd seen had been decorated. This room had been painted in a soft violet with black, gray, silver, and gold stripes. Each color was reflected in some other surface…the black was drawn to the rich cherry hardwood floor. The gray and violet showed up in the soft throw rugs that had been scattered among the sitting area, the sides of the bed, and the open dressing room. The various frames, fixtures, and accoutrements grounded the silver and gold and reflected the soft light from the stained glass table lamp that was the room's only current lighting.
 
Wow! Ryo would love this room. Rose has a definite eye for color.” The room he'd changed in had been similarly decorated except in shades of blues and greens with decorative touches of silver and off white. The hallway had initially seemed plain in its off white paint; but when contrasted with the rich hardwood floors and sunken burgundy runner, the off white was a necessary part of allowing the other rich colors to shine. Dee stepped into the bedroom and called out Rose's name. He expected the other to respond immediately and was surprised when silence was all he heard. “Berkley?” The raven-haired man repeated, this time a little louder.
 
Rose heard him this time, “I'm ready, Dee.”
 
“What the Hell?” Dee was blown away by how different Rose looked and couldn't squelch his immediate verbal response.
 
Rose gave him a sly grin and turned around slowly giving the other man a clear view of the ensemble. “What do you think? Is it suitable for club hopping?”
 
“Shit! This is not allowed. You look better than I do.”
 
Rose trailed his eyes along Dee's body, “That's a matter of opinion.” His voice was filled with a sensual heat that brought a blush to the raven-haired man's face. Dee's outfit consisted of the tightest pair of black jeans that he owned, an emerald silk shirt cut very similarly to the one that Rose wore, and black suede vest with emerald stitching. All the pieces were cut to perfectly frame each angle of his body. He radiated a strength and masculinity that demanded a response. “You look wonderful.”
 
“I didn't think you'd be able to pull off a club look, Berkley,” Dee couldn't keep the surprise out of his voice. Not only could the older man pull off the look, he looked damn good doing it.
 
“Did you think to bring different outerwear than your dress coat?” Berkley asked since he couldn't remember Dee carrying another outer coat.
 
“I forgot,” Dee said with a lopsided grin.
 
“I've got something you can wear,” Rose walked over and turned out the light before heading into the hallway. “We can wait downstairs. It's almost nine-thirty.”
 
“Sounds good,” Dee nodded toward the room he'd dressed in, “I just have to grab something and I'll be right down.” He went to the room and grabbed the wine before following the other man downstairs.
 
“I think this will fit you,” Rose held out a long, black, brushed suede coat.
 
“By the way, this is for you,” The raven-haired man gave a small shrug, “I was going to give it to you before we went up to dinner; but I forgot.”
 
“Thank you,” Berkley tossed the several hundred dollar coat casually over the banister and unwrapped the box. When he spied the wine and read the label, he smiled widely, “How did you know that this was my favorite wine?” Dee stayed silent hoping the other man would assume he was being mysterious. Berkley did make that assumption and continued, “This wine's bouquet is one of the most stunning of all the mid-range wines available at Manhattan Cellar Wineries. Forget about waiting out here, the driver will ring. Let's uncork this and enjoy ourselves.” Rose didn't wait for a response and headed straight for the kitchen to get a corkscrew. Within minutes, the wine was breathing happily and he'd poured two large glasses for them. “To the wonderful evening so far, may the remaining time be as pleasant!”
 
Dee couldn't argue with the toast and the soft ding of the fine crystal rang through the first floor. They'd almost finished their second glasses of wine when the driver knocked on the front door. The two men swung on a pair of almost matching black leather coats, Dee's in soft suede and Berkley's in a smooth, shiny leather. Rose brought the bottle of the remaining wine, and once ensconced in the rear of the limousine, poured each of them an additional glass. By the time they reached their destination, the bottle was empty and both men were cracking somewhat inappropriate jokes about everything from women and men to wine and the world at large.
 
The limousine pulled right up to the edge of the red carpet and the driver held the door so the two men could exit. Their long coats fluttered around their long legs and their appearance drew the appraising eyes of both men and women and softly whispered comments of, “Who are they? Where are they from?” Could be heard from the crowd. Both men were striking figures as they walked boldly to the main entrance.
 
“Well, Rose,” A short, slim man at the entrance started, “You always did know how to make an entrance.” He pointed to Dee using his chin; “It's about damn time you found someone as powerful as you to be your partner. I'm Shay Phillips and you are magnificent,” His eyes roamed possessively over Dee's body pausing on the other man's well-framed groin. He licked his lips slowly, “Yes, magnificent.”
 
Rose stepped in front of Dee, purposely blocking the other man's line of sight, “He's already spoken for.”
 
“And you won't share?” Shay seemed to pout.
 
“He's not mine to share.”
 
Shay's head jerked up in surprise to stare at Berkley's face, “Not yours to share? The great Berkley Rose had to borrow someone else's partner to be a date? I'm shocked.”
 
“I didn't have to borrow anyone. Dee's mine for the day.”
 
“Kinky!” Shay leaned forward and said in a voice dripping of sex, “I like kinky.”
 
Dee was beginning to feel like a piece of meat and was starting to realize how Ryo must have felt under his initial, aggressive advances. “Geez, no wonder he was so nervous to be near me at first.
 
Finally, Berkley had enough of Shay's open, aggressive assessment of Dee and told him as much. “Let me introduce the two of you. Shay, this is Dee Laytner one of my detectives.”
 
“He's a cop? I didn't think they made cops that perfect.” He quickly amended his statement with, “Excepting you, of course.”
 
“Of course,” Rose turned to Dee and finished the introductions, “Dee, this is Shay Phillips, the owner of the club and a world-class flirt. Don't worry; he's usually just talk. His partner would kill him if he ever did more than look.”
 
Shay gave an exaggerated shiver, “There's the truth. Welcome to my club.” He gave Dee a friendly smile, nothing sexual or overtly aggressive about it, either. “If you can deal with my teasing, see me before you leave and I'll give you a standing pass. I know you will be very popular tonight on the dance floor and I'd like you to come back as often as possible.”
 
“I can handle teasing.” Dee smiled, “Hell, I can handle groping if it means I get a standing pass to Club Matrix.
 
“Let's go inside, Dee,” Berkley caught the other man's elbow and steered him inside. They checked their coats before heading for the main dance floor. The room was already packed and the music was cranked up until the rafters shook with the beat.
 
Both men looked around the crowded space and were relieved to see that there were plenty of open tables. “Do you want to go straight to the dance floor? Or would you prefer to get a drink and feel out the crowd first?” Rose spoke softly in the space between silence and the music's beat. Dee was surprised when he turned to reply and discovered himself face to face with his blond-haired partner for the evening.
 
“Drink first,” Dee gulped. He wasn't sure what had just happened but he'd felt a powerful current cross the short space between himself and Rose. “It was probably the combination of all that alcohol, the music, and this place. The energy is astounding.
 
Dee was right. The club seemed to be alive with an energy of it's own. The combination of black lights with the assorted colored neon made rich patches of glowing colors that one could almost physically walk through. Berkley led the way to a small side table were they each took a chair and were quickly waited on. “Brandy, four fingers, straight up.”
 
I knew he was into brandy.” Dee thought before ordering his own drink, “Sex on the beach.”
 
“Any time, Honey,” The waiter replied with a wide smile.
 
“I've never gotten into mixed drinks,” Rose said as conversation after the waiter left. “I was given a long island iced tea once and couldn't stand the taste. I never did try anything else after that.”
 
“I don't like long island's either; but Sex on the Beach is fantastic.” Dee grinned ear to ear.
 
Rose leaned further into Dee's space, “I'm sure it is fantastic; but how is the drink?”
 
“Bad joke,” Dee rolled his eyes.
 
The two men laughed as the waiter brought their drinks.
 
“Try it,” Dee handed Rose the drink as the waiter was setting down the brandy.
 
After a sip, Rose nodded, “That's good,” He looked at the waiter, “Bring me one of those, too.” The waiter hurried back with Rose's second drink. Berkley's first drink was already empty so he took the glass away. The two men sat back and watched the crowd as it ebbed and flowed over the two dance floors and the surrounding space. “I'm going to hit the floor. Are you coming?” Berkley stood up and started toward the stairs that led to the raised Plexiglas dance floor.
 
“Hell, yeah! I can't let you get all the pretty girls,” Dee rose to the challenge.
 
Berkley grabbed Dee and shoved him against one of the steel columns before whispering in his ear, “And all the beautiful men.”
 
When Rose drew away, Dee reversed their positions slamming the older man into the same column, “Don't try dominating me. You will lose.” The alcohol was lowering both men's inhibitions and the overwhelming sexual energy of the club was sending both their powerful libidos skyward. “I'll get whomever I want, whenever I want. You can't stop me.”
 
Something snapped in Rose at that moment and he reversed their positions yet again, “Well, I want you.” He crushed the slightly smaller man against the column and closed in for a kiss. This time he didn't beg for admittance, he demanded it. When Dee's mouth opened, his tongue immediately sought the other man's out and began a duel that left both men breathless. The commissioner pulled far enough away that he could see into Dee's rich green eyes, made even richer from the deep emerald reflection from his shirt and the draw of the black lights. “Are we going to have fun tonight?”
 
“Damn, right!” Dee knew the night was going to be an interesting one. He could feel the challenge in Rose's words and had felt it in his kiss. Both men were powerful sexual beings and their energy tended to express itself through that avenue. The forces pressing on the men were triggering the more aggressive natures in both men.
 
When they broke apart, they became aware of the crowd that had closed in around them. Women and men approached both of them and asked them to dance. Within minutes, they found themselves at the center of the dance floor dancing with complete strangers. Oblivious to everything except the bodies close to theirs they moved to the music as if their lives depended on it. Almost an hour later, the two men were drawn back to each other and danced an additional song before returning to the table to order another round of drinks.
 
The night continued in a blur. Drinks, dances, faces, and music moved and surrounded them; the lights and sounds combined with the alcohol and natural herbs, in some of the drinks they had tried, to shift their consciousness. The normal taboos were forgotten and the night detached itself from reality. The night would hold no repercussions for either of them. Neither man felt a connection to the outside world as the night began winding down a short time before five. The crowd was beginning to thin and the music seemed to slowdown and soften. They had lost their ever-present crowd almost an hour ago and had settled for dancing with each other. Both men were powerful leads and their dancing was more a battle than an actual dance…each man vied for control.
 
At five-thirty, Shay walked over to the two men and pulled them from the dance floor. “Fuck, if I could dance like that, I'd be on the dance floor instead of owning it.” He grinned, “Fuck that, I'd still own the dance floor.” He led the two men to a private backroom and handed them another pair of drinks. “I want both of you to come back for the grand opening. If you can bring this much energy to that event, I want every bit of it.”
 
“Nope, opening night's next Friday,” Dee smiled, “I've got plans.”
 
“Oh, well. Come back whenever,” Shay handed both men black cards with `Club Matrix' scrolled across them. When shifted under the light, they seemed to shimmer because of the hologram engraved on the surface. “Enjoy your morning.”
 
Neither man seemed to know what to do. The energy of the evening still clung to both of them; but their physical exhaustion was demanding attention as well. “One last dance?” Dee said as he stood and seemed to challenge his older companion. “We'll leave your friend with something to think about.”
 
Berkley's sly smile pushed away all traces of exhaustion and he stood, meeting the other man's politely phrased dare. “Shay won't know what hit him.” Rose's words were softly spoken with an underlying strength. That strength Dee had learned permeated his night's companion's very being. Each time something had seemed ready to crush his blond companion throughout the day, he'd reached down and drawn on some hidden power that allowed him to move beyond it. “Ready to play?”
 
Dee laughed softly and nodded his assent. “First let's get some suitable music.” He headed off for the DJ booth to make a request.
 
Rose headed straight to the edge of the upper dance floor, with no one else dancing on it, the Plexiglas seemed to disappear in the club's lights. The apparent disappearance gave the illusion that if one were to step into the framed space, they would be held up by nothing but air. The club faded into silence, an eerie feeling after the hours of heart pounding bass beats mixed with the powerful driving force of the techno music. The silence was short lived as another wave of sound crashed through not only the club but also the senses of all those remaining. Berkley closed his eyes to adjust to the new assault when he opened them; he saw Dee standing at the opposite entrance to the suspended dance floor.
 
Almost as one individual, both men entered the dance floor and met at the center. The two men demanded attention simply because of their bold movements and strength of their personalities. The waves of sound seemed to subside into a solid techno beat that seemed to scream for everyone to dance. For what seemed like an eternity, the two men stared at each other, each vying for silent dominance. When an agreement was reached, whatever that agreement was, they began moving, the rhythm of the music directing every shift in weight and each breath.
 
Standing near the bar with his partner, Shay could only say, “Damn.” As he watched the two men move on the `floating' dance floor, he had to wonder about the mysterious Dee that Berkley had brought. “If he moves like this with someone who isn't his partner, what is he like when he is dancing with his partner? Fuck, I need a bedroom, right now. I feel like a voyeur watching these two dance. They're all sex and heat and power. So equally matched, they'd kill each other if they were dating; literally burn themselves up. But Oh! What a time they would have doing it.” He was acutely aware of his partner moving against his back. Watching the two men was turning them both on, and even after a long day and an extremely long night, the tall man felt more than ready to give his companion a pleasurable ride…and then some.
 
Similar thoughts traveled through the rest of the remaining people. The almost animalistic quality to the two men's movements sparked an energy that the otherwise tired people didn't realize they possessed. As the music wove one last spell, the night finally came to a close in the crashing last beats as the finishing song ended.
 
As the silence descended over the club once again, Berkley and Dee stood in the center of the dance floor, the remaining haze from the fog machines giving the scene an otherworldly appearance. The two men were creatures out of a fantasy novel finishing the dance as they had started it…staring for dominance and never coming to an agreement on the greater or lesser; instead equals. Silently the two turned and exited the dance floor by opposing sides and only met again at the coat check.
 
After gathering the long leather coats, they paid their respects to Shay and his partner and with the same billowing of the heavy, slapping leather strutted to the waiting limousine. Once inside the calming interior, the magic of the evening seemed to dissolve and the two men could only sit speechlessly as they periodically glanced at each other.
 
It was almost seven in the morning, when the limousine pulled up outside of Berkley's house. “Would you like the driver to take you to your house next? Otherwise, you can stay here and sleep at least part of the day. I'll call into work and report us off.”
 
“I'm sure Ryo's worried about me. I don't stay out all night much any more.” He paused and gave a lopsided smile. “In fact, this is the first time I've stayed out all night, except for work, since I met Ryo.”
 
“He changed you a lot,” Berkley didn't ask it as a question, he'd already seen the results so it was a statement of fact. “Driver,” Rose called over the intercom.
 
The glass partition between the compartments was lowered and the driver asked, “Yes, Sir. How may I help you?”
 
“Please drop Mr. Laytner off at his own residence. He needs to pick up his bag and then he'll be right down.”
 
“Very good, Sir.” The driver put the window up and settled back for the short wait.
 
“Thank you, Berkley,” Dee said as they exited the limousine. Inside the house, Dee hurried to the guest room that he'd used and gathered up his things before returning to the main floor. “I had a wonderful evening, Berkley.” Now that their `Sweet Hearts Day' was officially over, the men realized that it felt as if something wasn't finished. So many things had happened between them over the course of less than twenty-four hours that parting ways somehow seemed wrong.
 
Berkley was feeling the same unease about Dee leaving, but just as the raven-haired man was having difficulty with the feeling, so was he. “So did I, Dee. I wish that you weren't leaving.”
 
“It doesn't feel right somehow,” Dee agreed. “But, I do need to get back to Ryo. He's probably worried by now.”
 
“Or else, he'll assume that you'll stay here,” Rose countered.
 
“I don't know,” Dee was on the fence. He was having difficulty analyzing the feeling and he didn't like it. “I wish I knew why I feel this way.”
 
“I'll call Ryo's and leave a message. Please stay here for the morning at least.”
 
Dee sighed, “All right.” He didn't know if he would regret it or not.
 
Rose quickly dismissed the driver and returned to the house.
 
Dee was already on the phone, having called Ryo's, and was talking to someone. “Just let him know what's happening, J.J.,” Dee sighed as he hung up the phone. Turning to Rose, he explained, “J.J. and Ryo just got in too. Ryo insisted that J.J. stay the morning because he was so tired.”
 
“Ryo's so thoughtful,” Berkley smiled.
 
Dee simply nodded.
 
“You can use the same room where you changed if it was acceptable.”
 
“It's a beautiful room,” Dee had to fight back a yawn. “I'm also going to grab a shower; I feel hot and sweaty from all that dancing.”
 
Suddenly the room temperature rose several degrees as both men remembered the night at the club. Their dancing had been enough to get their hormones heated up. “A shower would feel good,” Rose agreed.
 
A cold shower,” They thought at the same.
 
The two men headed upstairs and turned to opposite sides of the hall to enter their bedrooms. Before Dee could escape into the guest room, Berkley asked, “Do you want to borrow a set of pajamas? Or do you prefer the buff?”
 
Dee thought a minute, “If it's alright I'll borrow a set. Ryo's been trying to get me to wear something other than a pair of boxers to bed.”
 
“Is it working?” Berkley asked with a soft laugh.
 
“As long as he leaves them on me, it does.” With that answer, both men shared a hearty laugh.
 
“I'll bring a set over. Do you want me to leave them on the bed?”
 
Dee nodded, “Yeah. I'll get them after my shower.”
 
Rose turned and entered his bedroom and pulled a clean set of pajamas from his dresser drawer. He took them to Dee's room and had to fight the urge to sneak a peak at the raven-haired man while he took a shower…he could hear the water running. He escaped back to his own bedroom before he could act on his thoughts. After a long shower, the blond-haired man dressed for bed and settled under the covers. As he was beginning to fall asleep, he remembered that he'd wanted to call the office to report them off. With a concerted effort, he forced himself back out of bed and grabbed the phone on the nightstand. Five minutes later, he'd reported them off and discovered that they weren't expected in anyway. “Wish someone would have told me that earlier,” He thought.
 
He settled back under the covers and cuddled up with a pillow and part of the blanket before falling into a deep restful sleep. Dee on the other hand wasn't having as much success…he hadn't slept alone for months and discovered that he couldn't sleep without Ryo beside him. “What the hell am I supposed to do?” He whispered to himself. “I could call a cab; but that would be rude. Maybe I can have Ryo drive over.” He discounted that idea before having several others run through his brain…the last one was intriguing… “I suppose I could sleep with Rose. Surely, he would understand.
 
Dee gathered up a pillow and the large quilt and crept across the hall to see if the other man was still awake. “Berkley?” The soft sounds of Rose's breathing was all he heard. He stepped into the darkened bedroom and tried again, “Berkley?”
 
“What? What's wrong, Dee?” Berkley's voice was laced with sleep. He'd fallen into a deep sleep as soon as he'd pulled his quilt around him.
 
“I can't sleep without Ryo.” Dee knew his voice sounded pitiful and he could only pray that the older man would understand.
 
“You can sleep with me. I'm not Ryo and I'll be up front with you, I haven't slept with anyone in quite a while; but I won't kick you or anything.” Rose blinked several times as he realized exactly how he'd worded his response. “Umm. I didn't mean that the way it sounded. By sleep with, I mean just that.”
 
“I understood.” Dee was relieved in a way. He walked over to the bed and climbed in adding the quilt he'd carried over to the one already on the bed and tossed the pillow on the floor…Rose already had a number of pillows comfortably arranged along the headboard. “How do you usually sleep?” “If he usually sleeps on his back with his arms out, I'm screwed.
 
“On my right side,” Berkley curled back up and snuggled into the warm blankets. The house was chilly since the heat in the bedrooms was usually turned down during the day…no one was there so why heat the space. “Curled up.”
 
“You sleep like Ryo,” Dee climbed into the bed and snuggled up against Rose's back, “If I bother you, tell me and I'll move.”
 
“Not bothering me,” Berkley's voice was already foggy with sleep. The other man's warmth felt good against his tired and somewhat strained muscles. He'd put more effort into dancing tonight than he'd realized and he was now paying the price. “Good night, Dee.”
 
“Good night, Berkley,” Dee did his best to spoon the larger man and buried his face against Rose's back. He could smell the almond scented soap and shampoo the other man had used on his body and hair. The aroma reminded him of Ryo's vanilla scent and that vision allowed him to relax completely. “Good night, Berkley,” He whispered one more time before drifting into a deep sleep.
 
Berkley permitted himself a smile as he too drifted into sleep.
 
Neither man moved for most of the day, the afternoon was well underway when they awoke still cuddled in the same positions in which they'd started.
 
~~~~~
 
Around nine am, across town in Ryo's apartment, J.J. awoke surrounded by a feeling of intense warmth. He cracked his eyes open and was shocked at the disappointment he felt that he was sleeping with Ryo on his couch and not waking with his partner, Drake. His disappointment surprised him and made him wonder about everything that had happened the day before. He quickly pushed it from his mind as he snuggled back into the larger man, rubbing his cheek across the other man's chest.
 
Ryo opened his eyes and whispered, “Hello.”
 
“Oh, No!” J.J. was filled with dismay as he remembered, “Dee called. He wanted to let you know, he was staying at Berkley's. They were too tired to drive. He called while you were in the shower. I tried to stay awake,” He buried his face in the other man's chest again and was intensely embarrassed that he'd forgotten. “I'm sorry.”
 
“It's all right,” Ryo cracked his neck to release the stiffness that had settled there from sleeping on the couch. “You remembered to tell me.” He started shifting around and moved J.J. until he sat back on the couch. “Let's move to my room, there's a bed so we'll be more comfortable than sleeping on this horrible couch.”
 
“Okay,” J.J. agreed. He didn't care were they were as long as he was able to get more sleep. His lids were drifting closed again already and his mind felt like a soft cloud had descended over it.
 
In the bedroom, the two curled up with Ryo spooning the smaller man. They fell into a deep sleep and didn't wake until close to mid afternoon.
Valentine's Day Psychology 1 Chapter 3