Fan Fiction / Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Father, The Outlaw ❯ The Blood of My Mother ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, Wolf's Rain or Rowan Hood.

#~#~#

I was in a small room, mist floating in and out of the walls. A familiar melody being hummed far away. I could only stand there and stare, my body wasn't there anymore.

From the floor, rose a boy. His long silver hair shining in the light that had suddenly appeared. A light purple and pink light shining from the floor around him.

He reached his hand to me, shouting something I couldn't hear because the far away melody got louder and louder until the room began to be sucked into a hole outside. I just stood there and didn't try to grab his hand.

The hole had floated away from the earth and came up behind the boy. His eyes had been hooded but he looked up then, and it was the color of the stone. Amber.

Then my dream turned to forgotten memories of my mother. The times before I was even born. Then, even those faded away to be replaced with deep dreamless sleep.

#~#~#

I yawned, stretched my arms behind my head and shook the dew from myself. I was getting up when I realized there were clothes folded next to my soft bed of leaves.

I picked them up, finding out they were boys clothes. And an old sword lay farther away.

Inuyasha was nowhere to be found but he was the only one who could have found me in this wild forest. So I thought that he must have stolen them from a heap of clothes, they were probably already folded when he took them.

Well, it was better than the beat up coat I had.

I observed the clothes; they were in good condition and plenty big enough for me. The problem was that they were bright red, which would be easily noticed in the woods. I sighed; nothing ever went perfect for me. It had long sleeves that would protect my bruised arms from any more cuts, and the long pants would protect my legs too. The shirt was loose so it wouldn't reveal my being a girl if I bound them too. (AN: Inuyasha's real clothes like on the anime except the pants aren't so poofy and the pants longer. And the shirt smaller.)

I didn't know what to do with the sword except to keep it with me to look more boyish and until I could sell it or something.

Picking it up, I found out it wasn't nearly as heavy as I thought it was. It was light and fit inside my small hands almost flawlessly, except for my thumb kind of sticking out.

Quickly taking a look around I started dressing, finishing with a small messy bow in front to keep up the pants. But making sure that it looked like I was just a scrawny boy and not like a girl pretending to be one.

After checking that everything was in order, I tied a spare bowstring around my torso to keep the sword in place while I'm walking.

Oh no, what about shoes? Trust Inuyasha to be the only dog that doesn't bring you shoes. Now I'd have to buy some, but where would I get any money?

Then the dog-wolf comes running up to me, with blood trailing from some really deep cuts.

"Inuyasha! What happened, did you get caught stealing from a farmer or something?" I pulled him into the clearing and let him collapse. I started cutting fur away from the wounds with the dagger.

"Couldn't you have just stayed here? If you die I'll have no one to travel with to Sherwood."

Once done with the cutting I got together some plants that were growing nearby and made him eat them.

"These will help with the pain, hopefully. I don't know much about healing dog-wolves. Now I just need some bindings to stop the blood."

Finally I decided to cut my tattered dress into strips to put around his legs and neck where most of the bleeding was coming from. Looking over his neck wounds I was pretty sure that they weren't going to kill him, but he wouldn't be moving for a couple of days.

"I wish the stories were true about wolves turning into humans. Then you could tell me what happened. Wait a moment, this looks like a bite mark. Was it wolves?"

Inuyasha's eyes widened and he struggled to get up. I pushed him down, putting my hand on his chest firmly to keep him from trying to get up anymore.

"Inuyasha, you can't move or your bandages will fall off. If there are wolves I'll take of it. Obviously you were no match for them before so why would you be now?" I knew I spoke too harshly, but if I didn't set down that rule he would probably run away while I wasn't looking.

After that he lay down and ignored me completely while I found some salve ingredients. Now my hands were scratched up from digging through layers of thorny plants just to get one leaf. But the clothes did keep my arms and legs safe.

The camp was silent and motionless that night, neither of us moving, me not speaking. It was as if Inuyasha wasn't even there, I guessed that he'd probably be gone in the morning.

#~#~#

I was walking in my human form near the river. I'd left Kagome with a small protection spell, in case there were some bandits traveling around or a dangerous animal.

Even though she didn't deserve it after what she had said to me.

No match for those dirty, mangy, flea ridden, idiotic wolves? How dare she even say that after I agreed to take her to Sherwood Forest! To see her neglectful father, no less.

A fast wind came blowing in, the stench of Kouga and his wolves riding it. A low growl escaped my throat.

The foliage parted and the owners' of the repulsive smell jumped at me. Kouga reaching for my throat as his cronies lunged for my arms and legs.

We didn't exchange insults, and we didn't stand and argue, they came to kill me and I was here to live. But they did smile at me.

Smiles really make the world go round.

Soon their attacks forced me back to a densely covered path that led to the clearing where Kagome was sleeping for the night. I couldn't see her but I could pick up her feminine scent, which was beginning to ripen a bit, through the bushes and trees that hid her. Being a wolf Kouga must've smelt it, but at the moment he was having too much fun trying to kill me.

I can't die if I want Kagome to live, or stay innocent. But why do I care so much?

I tried to steer the fight away from Kagome's clearing, instead, Kouga darted the other way, straight into the clearing. And his cronies were taking up all my attention; I couldn't get to her in time.

Please let her be hiding.

I could hear grunts, then Kouga came running out with weird orange burns around his neck. He motioned to his cronies and took off through the hard packed under growth.

"What happened to him?"

I turned towards the direction of the clearing, only to find Kagome standing in the path. Boy did she look peeved.

"Who are you?"

I almost pointed to myself when I realized that she hadn't seen me in this form before. Now, what should I say?

"Unless you want the same treatment your friend got, you had better talk." She had a full glare pinned on me; one hand was holding my sword's hilt and the other had an orange glow around it.

I waved my hands in front of my face and tried to talk, this would be my first time, "No, I… my name," I thought, "Mirsha."

Yeah, that's perfect. She'll never know it's me.

Kagome rolled her eyes, but at least she had stopped glaring.

"What do you want here?"

I had to carefully think out the perfect words, "Umm…"

Again, she rolled her eyes. Then she started walking to me slowly. Once she was standing a few feet away from me, she leaned towards me, reached out her hand and rubbed my doggy ears.

When she was done she slapped with the same hand, and it hurt! It wasn't like I'd done anything.

"Hey! Tad hurts."

Before I realized, she had already walked back.

Well fine then, if Kagome didn't want to talk to Mirsha, maybe she'd talk to Inuyasha.

#~#~#

It was still night but Kagome had made a fire, a very wimpy fire. It just kind of sputtered and coughed. I was afraid to breath on it, the pathetic little fire was gonna die out soon anyways though.

"Mirsha?! What could he possibly get from me wearing the same clothes as him?" I watched Kagome pace and rant from my position near the fire, "If it's some sick kind of pleasure I'm definitely going to kill him. Or maybe I'll sick you on him…Hmm…"

Right now? Okay.

I got up and started chasing my tail. Kagome laughed, got up and began wrestling me. It turned out awkward for me.

She had her arms wrapped around me and was pushing me to the ground. I could easily have shaken her off, but it almost seemed right to be doing this with her.

Once we stopped, since she was exhausted, she lay down by me and rubbed my side as the fire died out completely and we were left in the darkness of midnight.

"You're too fun, Inuyasha."

You betcha I am.

#~#~#

We were walking through the last stretch of the smaller woods that used to be by my home. The trees were getting more spread apart and the plants were getting less thorny. But it was getting hotter and hotter through out the day and no one could be seen on the far off hillsides that I could see through some gaps in the trees.

Inuyasha was panting, while I sweat and trudged in the dry leaves underfoot. The crackling made tons of noise but there was hardly a risk that any would be out on a day like today. I was so hot that when a drop of Inuyasha's drool landed on my feet it felt like a drop of cold water.

"Where's a river when you need one?" I was surprised at how hoarse I sounded and how big my tongue felt. My mouth must have dried out without anything to water it.

The dog-wolf didn't even look at me; he just kept walking and panting with his tongue hanging out the side. And shedding.

And the fur was sticking to me, making me furry. I couldn't get the energy to rub them off, but I doubt it would have made a difference. Those hairs looked pretty stubborn.

"Would you just…wow…"

We finally got out of the woods and there was a huge mountain range in front of us, the peaks were hidden in clouds. And they were covered in freshly fallen snow.

But what caught Inuyasha's attention was the little mountain spring off to the side; it was so clear and looked so inviting after the hot day. Inuyasha was already getting his fill of the clear liquid and wetting his silver coat in it.

"Make room!"

I jumped in, hitting my knees on the rocky bottom but was glad for the icy water.

The spring only went up to my thighs, the water was freezing, and the sun was headed down, but I decided to take a bath anyways. It was probably the best I would get for awhile.

"Inuyasha go make sure no one's around. I've got to take a bath before the sun goes down. I'll make a fire after, if you could hunt something and bring it back here that would be great. Thanks!"

Inuyasha squeaked and ran out of sight of the spring in a hurry. I waited for awhile, waiting for him to come back and let me know if anyone was out there.

I whistled a couple times and he finally came back, his back had a streak of sap on it and his tail was between his legs.

"Looks like you need a bath too. You didn't see anyone I guess. Come on."

He stood frozen in place, violet eyes wide.

I almost whistled but he bolted into the forest before I got a chance to.

What spooked him? Oh well, I've got the whole spring to myself now.

#~#~#

Walking aimlessly in the forest wasn't as fun as it had seemed when I ran in here.

But it's better than taking that bath.

Is it?

I shook my head; there was no room for those kinds of thoughts. I'm not like her; I'm a wolf and not a human. Even if I took on my disguised form to be with her, the disguise is deformed thanks to my dog part.

Unlike normal wolves, I can't disguise myself as a normal human. I have the disguise available, but with it I have dog ears, silver hair and golden eyes. I can't fit in with it or without it. All because of my mother's genes.

I sighed; these thoughts were what I'd have to deal with the rest of my life. For now I may have found a purpose but as soon as Kagome was with her father I'd be run out like the filthy mutt I am.

She and I are only traveling together because she wanted some company, if some human boy came along she'd probably shoo me away.

But what do I care? She's just some human to keep me entertained for a while. I've lived without anyone before and I could now.

"Is that what you want dog-wolf?"

I whirled around at the sound of the faint voice, there were no strange scents and I couldn't see anyone. But I could definitely feel something around me.

"Do you want to be alone dog-wolf?"

I bared my teeth and the fur on my back stood straight.

"Would you like me to help dog-wolf?"

I couldn't move, I had a feeling of something holding me in place, so instead I let out a high pitched wail. It echoed through the darkening evening, the feeling of something pushing my throat was strong. It felt like it was trying to crush my vocal cords or trying to kill me.

"You can be alone now dog-wolf. The girl will soon be gone. Do not worry. I will watch over you dog-wolf."

I finally tried putting on my disguise. Maybe it would help.

I felt my claws turn to hands and my tail recede into my back. It was a painful thing when I was taking my time but hurrying like I was now made it almost too painful to bear.

And the pressure was still focused on me, so I was cringing in unimaginable pain while the voice seemed to stare at me. And its gaze felt so…wrong. I just wanted to kill it, whatever it was I wasn't going to let it hurt Kagome.

"But I thought you wanted to get rid of the girl, dog-wolf."

"You thought wrong, now get away from me!"

Was this thing able to read my thoughts? Or was it just a very good guesser?

"I can feel what you think; we are connected dog-wolf."

"No way, in seven hells, am I connected to a psycho like you!"

After I said this I pulled my body to one side and tried to take a step towards the spring. But my feet were stuck in the same place, the voice had pinned them down.

"You cannot leave me. I am a part of you dog-wolf."

I was starting to panic as the air got thinner and the pressure on my chest got heavier. I dropped to my knees heavily, unable to keep myself up.

"Rest now. I will watch over you, dog-wolf."

My vision got blurry and I started to shut my eyes, before I did I saw the owner of the voice. A woman with long black hair and crimson clothes, her arms were open and she started to pull me into them. I fell forwards then blacked out.

#~#~#

After I had slid into the icy water I wished I'd waited until morning. The sun had just gone down into the horizon some more and there was only shadows covering the spring.

I decided to rinse my shortened hair then get out and build that fire.

Once I got out I threw on my pants and the white under kimono, leaving the haori off. Then I gathered a few sticks and set up the fire.

I wonder where Inuyasha is, it's getting pretty dark.

I whistled a couple times but nothing, finally I decided to check around the edges of the woods.

"Inuyasha?" I called while peering around a large oak.

My reply was a wail, like some kind of animal's.

Oh gods, Inuyasha. Please let it not have been him.

I ran into the woods towards where I thought I heard the sound, it was so dark I kept stumbling and I wished I had put on my haori. There were no more sounds but the air seemed to pulsate with evil energy. My ring kept giving off little orange sparks and my hand was vibrating with energy.

"Inuyasha?"

I was tripped over a dead tree and fell into a clearing to see some woman holding a limp body. Her back was turned to me but I could sense a strange energy coming from her. I reached out to tap her shoulder, but her hand caught my wrist first.

Her hand was tiny, pale and had the coldness of death.

"I'm sorry, are you…"

I looked down to her lap to see Mirsha; he looked like he was struggling. His face was drained of color and his chest barely moved.

"Mirsha?! He looks like he needs help; I have a fire back-."

The woman placed her hand over my mouth and said something under her breath. An icy blue glow spread from her fingertips to my mouth and nose, trying to suck the air from my body.

I put my own hand in front of the woman's, I concentrated and a small spark of my energy flew into the woman's mouth. She immediately grabbed for her throat while backing away. As she backed away her image slowly dissolved into the background.

My attention was already on Mirsha, I may not like him but he hadn't done anything to me. I wasn't about to let him die because of my dislike.

I tried to drag him back to the camp but couldn't get him through the underbrush without scratching him.

"Umm…wait here. I'll be right back."

Well duh, he isn't gonna go anywhere.

I raced back to camp and filled my homemade quiver with spring water.

Still no Inuyasha, I hope he's alright.

Once I had given the water to Mirsha and built a small fire, I tried to figure out what was wrong with him.

No cuts, bleeding or broken bones. I checked him for poisoning or some sickness. There was nothing, it looked like he just didn't have enough air in his lungs.

Well, there was only one way to fix this. I braced my self and hovered above the still boy. I knelt down and got lower and lower until my mouth was right over his. I took a deep breath, concentrated on gathering my energy into this breath and put my mouth on his while breathing in the energy enhanced air.

After I felt that it all the air I could get in was in I lifted my mouth off. I could feel my cheeks burning but I wouldn't be satisfied until I saw that boy breathing normally. It had really been my first encounter actually concentrating my energy somewhere other than my hand. It was draining and I could only hope that it would work.

It felt like the whole forest was waiting for a breath from the near dead Mirsha. Nothing moved and it was silent, though that might have been because of the black night.

Finally Mirsha let in a ragged breath, his closed eyes squinting.

I sighed, relieved that it had worked.

"Kagome?"

My eyes widened, I know I've never told him my name.

"Umm, yes?"

"Did you just…kiss me?" I couldn't see him but I think he was blushing just as much as I was.

What do I say to that? I can't tell him that I did, maybe I could pass it off as a dream he had.

"You're pretty good."

He rolled over, onto his side, and went to sleep in what felt like two seconds flat. Now I could feel my whole face burning red hot, maybe I was the one dreaming.

Luckily when I'd gone back to get water I had remembered my haori and my weapons. I covered myself with the haori and tried to rest while leaning against a tree.

"I hope Inuyasha is okay. If he's hurt or dead I'll never forgive myself."

#~#~#

"You're pretty good."

Why did I say that? I couldn't even remember anything before when I'd woken up and smelled Kagome's scent.

I tried to sleep on my side and was just letting sleep take over when I heard her say something.

"I hope Inuyasha is okay. If he's hurt or dead I'll never forgive myself."

Did she really care that much about me? If she did then why was I hiding myself from her? Why couldn't I just tell her? She'd probably hate me if I showed her. But if I didn't then she could do something really embarrassing in front of me without realizing its me.

I couldn't hold it off, if she hated me for what I was then what would it matter to me?

I sat up, turning to Kagome I saw that she was almost completely asleep. I crawled over to her, gently shaking her with a clawed hand.

"Kagome, wake up. Please. Wake up; I need to tell you something."

She absently swatted away my hand, "Just a few more moments."

"No, get up, wench."

That got her awake fast, with my vision I could see her glaring at what she thought was me.

"What?" her voice was dangerously low.

"Can you see?"

"No."

This isn't gonna work if she can't see me transform. There has to be some light somewhere. I guess I'd have to find some moonlight. There'd be some on a hill…

I knelt down in front of the girl with my back to her, "Hurry, climb on."

"Excuse me?!"

"Just do it, I want to sleep tonight."

She grabbed her stuff and after eyeing my back like it would bite climbed on awkwardly. I shifted a bit and leaped off the ground, I could feel her grabbing my shoulders tighter and she buried her face in my hair.

Is she afraid of heights?

"Oi, wench, are you afraid of heights?"

"No, I'm afraid of you dropping me." Her voice was muffled as it came from within my hair.

I dropped to the ground and instead of jumping into the air again I began running through the forest in a blur. She lifted her head a little bit but still held onto my shoulders tight.

A hill, I know there are tons out here somewhere.

I stopped suddenly, nearly knocking Kagome off. There was a fox scent in the air, I didn't like it. It was mixed in with some kind of strange animal scent.

"What's the matter with you?"

My nose was tingling with the scent of not only fox but fox blood, it was nearby too.

Should I leave it or go help?

"Do you like foxes?"

One of her hands went to her mouth and she put her finger to it while thinking.

"Well, my mother had always said that village people were wrong. And the village people had always said that foxes were bad luck so…yes. I love foxes. Why?"

I shot off with her only holding on with one hand but when I started running the loose hand grabbed a lock of my hair. It hurt like hell but like that was gonna stop me now.

#~#~#

^-^ Well, wasn't that an interesting show? Wonder who the woman was? If you're a real Inuyasha fan I think you know, sorry to all those that are fans of hers. When I started writing this I wasn't even planning on mentioning her. Oh well. Hope you all enjoy and don't worry I'll be writing more as soon as I can. Hopefully school won't get in the way. Bye-bye! ^-^