Fan Fiction / Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Father, The Outlaw ❯ Desires of an Enchantress ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own not Inuyasha, Wolf's Rain or Rowan Hood.

Please Enjoy!^-^

#~#~#

In the dark, decayed room of an ancient hut sat a woman. She was curled up on the hard wooden floor, her small hands clasping her knees to her chest. Her eyes were shadowed and empty.

She hadn't moved for days, it had taken all her power to talk to the dog-wolf and to show him an image of her.

"The girl has poisoned your mind, dog-wolf. But do not worry, I will watch over you. So know that I am Kikyo, enchantress of souls."

With that the woman held her knees tighter and drifted off to her special resting place hidden within the confines of her mind. She thought only of the dog-wolf while resting.

#~#~#

The scent of blood was stronger the closer I got to the sounds of laughing. My ears were freaking out because of the pitch of the noise; it felt like someone was screaming in my ears rather than someone laughing some feet away.

"Stay here."

I let Kagome drop to the ground then started edging towards the sounds. But I felt a tug on my sleeve as I turned to go. When I looked back I saw Kagome offering me my sword.

"Here. I can't use the piece of junk; maybe you can find some use for it. And I'm not staying here. I can fight too."

I grabbed my sword, unceremoniously, and leaving a scratch on Kagome's hand with one of my claws. A thin line of blood appeared but she looked like she didn't notice.

I saw but decided that if she didn't care then she didn't care.

What if she gets hurt?

"Fine, but don't expect me to rescue you if you get caught or anything."

"Why would I get caught?!"

"Why wouldn't you, you've never fought before."

I think I heard her teeth grinding, but she calmed down and stood waiting.

"Well?"

"Just follow the laughing."

She looked at me with a worried expression, "Uh, what laughing?"

She doesn't hear it? Maybe it's because I'm part wolf that I can hear it.

"Just follow me and don't make a sound."

She nodded but while she was following me she seemed to step on every available breakable stick there was. Once we were really close I was gonna turn around and give her a ride. But when I turned around to offer it she tripped over a sunken log and nearly fell on top of me. Luckily I caught her, somewhat. It kind of turned out that when I tried to catch her I went off balance and ended up falling backwards with her laying on me.

The laughing stopped and I could hear footsteps. It looked like Kagome could actually see the person but she wasn't getting up any time soon. Her eyes were wide and her mouth was hanging open, after a few seconds of that she buried her face in my haori.

Damn, if she doesn't get off of me then I can't get at what was laughing.

Wait, is she crying?

Her body was shaking and she was making some muffled sounds. I tried to sniff out any tears but the stench of fresh blood was overwhelming.

I realized that there was some kind of guy standing over us, but I couldn't see him.

"You are here early. The fox cub is tied down over there and the father's pelt is rolled up near that tree. Now where is my payment?"

I growled, this man had either gone insane or he'd gotten me mixed up with someone else.

"From your description, I had assumed you were a spirit."

I hated my position, especially since I couldn't see the man. But I doubted that Kagome would move from her spot after seeing whatever she saw. But I could try to get her off.

"Wench, you got to get off."

She didn't stop shaking or make a move to get off. Meanwhile the man had taken out a trident type thing from where it had been resting at my feet. And I got my first look at him.

He had his long black hair pulled back into a braid, and plenty of armor. There were little wheels attached to his boots, but they were of little use to a human like him. Most likely he had stolen them from a dead spirit.

"Killing the fox family was no hard thing. But I only did it for the rich reward you offered me. So where is it Shesshoumaru?"

My eye twitched, he did not think I was Shesshoumaru.

"I'm not Shesshoumaru."

"Oh. Alright then." With that he raised the trident and threw it at me and Kagome.

#~#~#

I could hear everything going on around me, but I couldn't look up. There was too much blood, too muck gore. There was…parts… strewn all over. And the fur of some animal rolled up near a tree. So I had tried to hide in Mirsha's haori, and let go of the tears which had been there since that first night by myself.

I might have cried when I found my mother but this was different, now there was someone to hold onto. Even if it was a strange guy I hardly knew.

Suddenly I could feel Mirsha grabbing me tight and jumping up. Despite being afraid of seeing all those things again I looked up at Mirsha's face.

His eyes had been hooded but he looked up then, and it was the color of the stone. Amber.

Déjà vu.

He jumped up once more after we hit the ground and set me in a tree.

"Stay here. Got it?"

I nodded; my eyes were glued on his. I think he noticed but he didn't say anything to make me stop. Before I could stop it, my arm had hooked his sleeve.

He looked back at me with a scowl, "What?"

I blushed, "Umm…good luck?"

He nearly ripped his arm away, and scowled heavily. But I think there was a hint of pink on his cheeks.

As he was jumping down to the ground, I caught site of the carnage again. This time all I could do was stare, there was no end to all the gore. I couldn't feel anything; it was like I was watching everything through someone else.

I could hear and see Mirsha fighting the man; Mirsha was landing punches and hadn't got a scratch on him. But I didn't feel amazement at his abilities because everything inside me was numb.

Then I heard a small whimpering sound coming from within a bag near the tree I was in. My curiosity overtook my senses and, after stealing a glance at Mirsha to make sure he wasn't watching, I climbed down. Then I ran to the bag.

When I opened it I saw a little bundle of fluff cowering at the bottom. Something at the sight of this pathetic thing made my heart break.

"What's the matter?" I made my voice as soft and gentle as I could, not wanting to scare the poor thing.

It turned its head toward me and I realized it was a baby fox. It had huge green eyes that were moist and so child like. I reached out my hand and tried coaxing it to me.

I guess it must have known I wasn't trying to hurt it because it pretty much jumped into my arms. It shook and was digging it's face into my clothes, probably trying to escape the smell of the blood or something.

I pet it's soft head in an attempt to calm it.

As it's shaking started to die down, the man had ran towards me and the fox. My eyes widened and I prepared myself for the blow as the man threw his trident.

Instead all I felt was something wet and thick hit my cheek. I opened my eyes to see Mirsha standing in front of me. The trident's points showing through his back.

I screamed. There was Mirsha with a trident all the way through him and his blood was all over me. The man stood there with confusion on his face, he was slowly backing away. The fox pup had run off my lap, he was running at the man at an impossible pace for such a young thing.

The man saw then turned and ran for a horse that was waiting nearby. But his feet were no match for the fox. The fox leaped at the man's back and viciously tore at the man's body.

Mirsha was still standing, but seemed to be frozen. I got up shakily and tried to run to him, but my feet were heavy and I could only walk.

"Mirsha."

He turned his head to me, "You were supposed to stay in the tree."

That's right. He put me up there so I wouldn't get in the way, and I came down anyway. It's my fault that he's going to die.

I felt the tears in my eyes well up and I couldn't look at him.

"I'm sorry." It came out in a sob, "I didn't mean to…do thi-this."

I looked up, and nearly fainted at what Mirsha did next.

#~#~#

The guy was losing and he couldn't throw that fork fast enough to hit me. He was getting exhausted but I had plenty of energy. Then the guy made a dirty move.

He ran at Kagome. Then he threw the trident at her, if it hit her she'd die within minutes.

I ran in front of her, shielding her from the attack with my body. When it hit I could feel blood spraying out of my back and chest, it was heavy enough to kill someone by hitting them. I heard Kagome scream and I would have looked to her if the trident weren't restricting my breathing so much.

The fox I smelt earlier ran at the guy who had just tried to kill Kagome. The fur over by that tree and all the body parts must have been someone from his family. That fox could run. Pretty fast for a cub.

I heard shuffling behind me, then Kagome came to stand to by my side.

"Mirsha." Her voice was coarse and ragged.

"You were supposed to stay in the tree."

Guilt clouded her face and she didn't look at me.

Dammit, does she have to cry?

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to…do thi-this."

I sighed, and then looked at the fox to make sure he was handling himself. I looked just in time to see the guy throw him off of his back and jump on the horse.

Wasting no time I grabbed the trident that had pierced me and pulled. It came out with a little difficulty and blood flew to the ground. Then I scooped Kagome into my arms and raced off to catch the guy, on the way past the fox cub I reached down to grab him. I nearly dropped Kagome but she was already gripping my haori in a death vise.

"Here, hold him."

"You're bleeding a lot. Don't you feel this hole?"

She must be getting blood all over her, and now the cub will too. I'll have to leave them somewhere so they stay out of the way this time.

It was a big forest but not too many trees that were both high and safe. Finally finding one I leapt up till I found a sturdy branch and set Kagome and the cub on it.

"Don't move. I'll be back in a few minutes."

"What if you get hurt more?" Her voice was faint and her eyes downcast.

"If I'm not back before sunset then climb down and go east."

She nodded and held the cub tighter; she looked strangely depressed and empty. I put my hand on her shoulder then awkwardly tilted her head up with my other hand.

This is weird, why did I do it?

I felt her eyes searching mine as I was looking away. I looked into them but couldn't think of anything to say to help her feel better.

She smiled nonetheless, "You'll be back."

I stood on the branch, free of her brown eyes, then jumped straight off to the forest floor far below. Because of the hole in my body I lost my balance and almost fell on my stomach. I caught myself against a tree but now my breath was getting shorter.

Better find that guy and kill him before I'm dead too.

I ran off, not as fast as usual and I had a hard time breathing normally but I finally smelt that guy's scent.

There was still plenty of energy in me to take this guy out, no one was gonna get away with what he almost did.

#~#~#

He's been gone too long, I should go after him.

"What do you think, should I go after him?"

The fox cub squirmed out of my grasp; he climbed over to a slightly smaller branch. I tried to grab him, because I was afraid of him falling but he ran away to where I couldn't see him.

"Hey, get back here!"

"Coming!" replied a high pitched child's voice.

Then there was a tiny kid standing on the branch in front of me.

"Who are you?"

"My name's Shippo. I'm a fox." He boasted the last fact.

"A fox?"

"Yep, this is just my disguise so I can look like a human."

He was trying to look like a human?

"Don't you recognize me?"

Now that I think about it, that fox baby had big green eyes like those and they have the same color…er…hair. And they have the same tiny back feet.

"You're the fox baby?"

"Hey I'm not a baby!"

I kept quiet and just looked at this little fox-boy.

"How do you do that? I mean disguise yourself and all."

He had on this cute little expression, like he was thinking real hard.

"I guess you'd have to ask the wolf that was here before."

"What wolf, did he hurt you?"

"No the wolf that saved you from that trident thing."

Is he talking about… "Mirsha?! He's a wolf?!"

"No I think he's part dog or something. He looks like the spirit who…killed my father." His voice got quieter and his green eyes filled with tears.

Upon instinct I gathered him up in my arms and cuddled him. He nestled into my warm embrace and whimpered a bit but otherwise didn't cry at all. After a while I was sure that he had fallen asleep but surprised me when he voiced a question.

"What's the dog-wolf's name?"

His innocent question somehow made me sad.

I don't know who he is. I didn't even know what he was.

"I-I don't know exactly."

Shippo looked down at the ground and sighed, "He's definitely part wolf. Don't worry all wolves are very secretive even the wolves who marry humans. Some humans are married to wolves and might not even know it."

"Are you saying that one of my parents could be wolves and I'd never know?"

Shippo sat down cross legged and shut his eyes in what, I guess, he thought of as a wise posture.

"Yes, but if you were part wolf then you could see me right now as my real form. And you would be able to transform into your original form."

I blew out a relieved sigh and leaned against the trunk of the tree. Shippo eventually got up and jumped around on the branches of the tree.

Soon the sound of Shippo's small giggles and the pleasant breeze that blew through my shortened hair eased me to sleep.

#~#~#

I sat panting on the ground, killing that human had been harder on my body than I had thought. But he was dead after I sliced through his weak body with my claws.

How am I gonna get all the way to Kagome if I can't even breath?

I got up and started to where I left the wench and the cub. All the way in the midst of the thick forest.

Dammit, my blood's getting on everything. If something smells it then they'll follow me. But if I already started I ain't gonna stop.

Finally I could smell her scent and the fox's. By now my clothes were soaked in blood and the tips of my hair had blood on them, and some hair was sticking to the wound. There was blood dripping off my hand from where the guy had cut me with a dagger and a trickle of blood flowing into my left eye because of some branch ripping the skin above my eyebrow.

Once to the tree I collapsed, and a wave of déjà vu hit me. It was just like that time when I was running from Kouga and bleeding a lot. I had collapsed at the bottom of that tree and all I could think of was the sweet scent coming from somewhere in the tree's branches. But this time I got no extra energy from a tree; I just lay on my stomach and closed my eyes.

"You aren't dead are you?!" I heard a voice but didn't have the energy to open my eyes.

"No… but I will be soon."

"You're the dog-wolf that saved us, huh?"

Instead of taking the effort to open my eyes I smelled out who was talking.

"You're the runt that I risked my life for, huh?"

He seemed to move over to me and whispered in my ear, "You can take off your disguise now; it's just us and Kagome."

"But she doesn't know… I can't-."

"She's gonna find out one way or another, and I know how much energy it takes to put on the disguise. How come you kept it on this whole time?"

I couldn't say anything; I didn't know why I had stayed in my disguise so long. It was tiring and was probably draining me more.

I was gonna show her before, I guess now's as good a time as any.

Quickly I let my fingers melt back to paws and my face grow narrow and longer. It wasn't pleasant but it was easier than putting on the disguise.

After, I felt better enough to open my eyes a crack, just to watch Kagome's reaction.

She was kneeling next to me, examining my wounds already. Maybe she was familiar with wolf ways and the disguise hadn't surprised her a bit.

"So what's your real name?"

"Inuyasha."

"How can that be your real name if I gave it to you? Weren't you named by your parents or something?"

She stayed quiet for a minute then asked, "How am I talking to you right now?"

Why is she asking so many questions? I just wanna sleep…

I heard her talking but I was drifting away, everything was fading. The smells, sounds and the feel of the hard ground beneath me were all fading. Something was pulling me and I was too tired to resist.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid! It's all my fault. Hey, wakeup!"

I hardly felt something shaking me, and her voice was so faint.

"Please." The drifting stopped for a minute, something within me wanted to turn back, "Come back!"

I opened my eyes to see a bright orange light envelope me and pull my soul back to my body.

How can I see this? Am I already dead?

I could see my bloody body stretched out on the ground, the fox sitting near my head with tears running down his face and Kagome was kneeling by me. She was holding my head in her lap with a determined face as she called my soul back.

She was covered in my blood, but she didn't seem to care, even as more blood seeped onto her.

Suddenly I saw a blue light coming towards me, the power that had probably been pulling me before.

No way is that thing taking me away. No way am I gonna leave here without finishing what I started. There was no way…

"I'm not gonna die!" the scream was ripped out of my throat as I came into contact with my body again.

"Inuyasha?"

My eyes wouldn't focus for a minute, neither would my nose or ears. They were re-inspecting the living world again. Once I gained control I looked up at the girl who had saved me once more.

Her large brown eyes looked into mine and made me feel so warm and content.

Her and mother would have been great friends.

"Is he alive?"

Kagome nodded and raised my head up a bit to rest in her lap comfortably. The fox cub came to look at me on one side of Kagome, his paws rested on her knee.

"What are you gonna do about all the blood, Kagome?"

"Right," she looked at me with determination, "If you don't mind… I'm going to go and gather some things. Shippo, can you stay here and call me if you sense anyone?" She waited for a nod from the cub, "Alright, I'll be back soon."

Once Kagome had disappeared from view the runt started asking a bunch of stupid questions.

"Are you and Kagome gonna be married or mates?"

"Feh, why don't you go do guard stuff. I ain't in the mood to talk to you."

"Oh, I get it. You're already mates."

#~#~#

^-^I would have made this chapter longer but I got stuck. I'll probably start writing the next chapter tomorrow. But I'm also writing an author's note to explain some stuff in detail and what not.

Bye bye!^-^