Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Mutant Family ❯ Sentinel Infiltration ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Recap: The X-men had decided to do something special for Yugi and Yami for being one of them for two months. Meanwhile, a group of rogue mutants had plans of its own and crashed their party with a small earthquake aimed directly under the Institute. The reason behind the aimed earthquake was found out to be Avalanche. It was a battle until the X-men were sent to the Savage Lands. In only one day, the X-men except for Yugi and Yami were captured and had collars that drained them of their powers put on their necks. Trying to remove the collar resulted in a literal big shock. Yugi and Yami's quick thinking saved the other X-men from what could've been their deaths.
/ is mental talk between Yami, Jean or Professor Xavier
' is thoughts




Chapter 5: Sentinel Infiltration

The X-men spent a peaceful night at the Institute after almost being killed in the Savage Lands. It would've most likely been a tragic day if it weren't for Yami and Yugi's quick thinking. This night brought the rest and sleep they all needed. The next morning, they awakened refreshed and renewed of their energy. The other X-men met up with Yami and Yugi in the living room.
"How was your sleep?" Yami asked.
"It was the best sleep we had so far. Our energy is restored," Cyclops responded.
They all gathered around the table to have a much needed meal. Half an hour afterwards, they all headed to the Danger Room. Professor X was in the control room.
"What's in store for us today?" Jean asked.
"Today, you're going to do the sentinel factory. You have to make it to the core and destroy the main unit. Be swift though. You only have thirty minutes to do so," Xavier responded before activating the Danger Room.
The other X-men soon saw that they had a bunch of sentinels to go through in order to reach the core. There were 12 of them in all. The Professor told them that there were two more that they didn't see that were guarding the central unit.
"Let's get started," Cyclops said.
The others nodded, and the sentinels attacked. Yugi ran in between one of the sentinel's legs and shot it in the back with his solar rays. That sentinel fell down, bringing three more with it like a stack of giant dominoes.
"Nice work Yugi," Yami said before turning into pure energy and flying straight through two more, destroying them.
"You aren't doing so bad yourself," Yugi said.
Wolverine climbed up one with his claws before slashing at it vigorously. He sliced its head off a few minutes later and jumped off as it came down while bringing another one down with it. Jubilee and Gambit teamed up to take down four more. They took down two of those sentinels with a little distraction strategy. One diverted attention while the other destroyed, and the remaining two sentinels, they took head on.
Beast climbed the wall and went across the ceiling. He came on a sentinel's shoulders and pounded on its head. A few minutes later, it just fell down not functioning anymore because its head was so smashed. Cyclops easily took out one by shooting a laser beam at its head. Jean psychically messed with another one's wiring and short-circuited it. Then they proceeded to the central unit where the remaining two sentinels were.
Storm easily took out one by creating a thundercloud over its head to shoot lightning at it. The sentinel fell down from the strike, but not before Yami kicked its head off with his hind legs. Then Rogue, Yugi and Yami teamed up to take the last one out. They reached the central core only to dodge its balls of electricity combined with raw energy. The core apparently had its own defense.
"We've got to take this out quickly," Storm said.
"A shot of combined laser and solar energy should do it," Cyclops said.
"One problem though. We have to do it without getting hit by the destructive balls it throws at us," Yami said.
"That's not a problem Yami. You and I can create force fields. We could easily do it," Yugi reminded him.
"You're right Yugi. I just don't think sometimes," Yami said. He picked up Yugi and motioned for Cyclops to get on his back.
Cyclops complied, and Yami galloped off. He spread his wings and jumped into the air. The core fired more electric charged raw energy balls at them, but Yugi's solar force field protected them. Yami flew in close to the core. That way, they had a clear shot.
"Let's fire now," Cyclops said.
Yugi and Yami combined their energy and fired a combination of laser and solar energy from the force field. Cyclops joined in with a laser beam of his own. The core couldn't handle the energies of the three combined attacks and overloaded. Afterwards, the Danger Room deactivated, signaling that time was up.
"Nice work all of you. You did it just in time," Xavier said.
"Yugi, Yami and Wolverine gave us the quick start we needed. You three did great work," Jean said.
"This was the most interesting session I did in here so far," Yami said as Yugi and Wolverine agreed.
"Take a break now," Xavier said before leaving the control room.
The others left the Danger Room and went to their respective rooms for a rest. Yami and Yugi went inside the stable to rest.
"You don't always have to be in the stable with me Yugi," Yami said.
"I know that Yami, but I want to be with you. I always loved being next to you whenever I could," Yugi said.
"As do I. I love being next to you too. If only other brothers can be as close to each other as we are," Yami said. "We have our disagreements sometimes, but we always end up sorting them out."
"Yes we do. Other boys that are brothers have always gotten into fights over something small like whose turn it is to watch television or what video and/or movie to watch. Our disagreements deal with bigger issues like who we should trust," Yugi said. "I've learned from past experiences to always trust you when it comes to that. I never understood how you can tell the trustworthy from the untrustworthy."
"To be honest, I never understood that myself. It was like I just knew," Yami said.
Then they spent time in silence. At 1pm, Jubilee and Rogue came in with some lunch for them before going back in to get their own and coming back in the stable to join them. They ate in silence and waited an hour before going for a flight. Rogue carried Jubilee, and Yugi was on Yami's back.
They only got to enjor an hour of calm weather before the sky turned dark and gray. The clouds signaled the approach of a typical summertime thunderstorm. It was time to return to the Institute.
"Let's head back before the storm hits," Yugi said.
"Easier done than said Yugi," Yami said. He teleported himself and them back to the Institute (A/N: I hope that the little explanation after the quote helped you understand that I didn't mean it the other way).
No sooner had Yami done that that a lightning bolt flashed. The thunder boomed five seconds afterwards, and it started to rain. Most thunderstorms in the eastern U.S. can be quite the rainmakers, leaving at least a 1/2" of rainfall. However, they're mostly in and out in half an hour to an hours time. It was the case here. This thunderstorm was quick, and left 1 1/2" of rain.
Meanwhile at the sentinel factory, the scientists were scheming on how to capture Yugi. His powers amazed them, and they wanted to experiment on him before letting the sentinels deal with him. They never thought that there could be a mutant with solar powers until seeing Yugi destroy some of the sentinels with his power.
"We need to get that solar-powered kid," Greg said.
"That's not going to be easy since his Centaur brother is always around him," Julie said.
"It will if we put them and the other X-men to sleep before grabbing the kid," Greg said.
The other scientists nodded and they sent a sentinel to the Institute to capture Yugi. It arrived in an hour and made quick work of the defenses around the Institute. The X-men were all in the living room just sitting in silence when a grenade came through the open window. It exploded, and sleeping gas filled the room. No one could react in time, and they all fell asleep. The sentinel grabbed Yugi using a thick cable from its finger and returned to base an hour later.
"What happened?" Jubilee asked as the sleeping gas wore off.
"I don't know but..." Yami cut off his sentence when he immediately noticed Yugi missing.
"But what?" Beast asked.
"Yugi's gone. He was right next to me," Yami responded.
Wolverine smelled the area. "One of the sentinels was here. I can still smell the exhaust from its rocket feet. It must've thrown the sleeping gas grenade and took Yugi while we were still sleep," he said.
"We have to act quickly," Jean said.
"We can't act quickly this time Jean. We'll probably walk right into a trap without a plan," Yami said.
"Yami's right Jean. If we don't come up with a plan, our foes will easily overpower us," Xavier said. "We'll go to the outskirts of the factory but won't strike until we know what they intend to do and how to stop them."
"I can become undetectable to man animal or machine. I can become invisible as well, but that won't be necessary when I make myself undetectable to their radars because that will be like being invisible. I can easily get inside and find out what they want. Then I can relay the information to you," Yami offered.
"That's an excellent start Yami. We'll just have to figure out how to get Yugi out of there now," Cyclops said.
With that in mind, they all boarded the Blackbird and headed for the factory. They arrived in an hour and landed a good 100 feet away from the outside sensors and cameras. Yami wasted no time and teleported inside the factory. Like he told the other X-men, he could become undetectable to anything. The cameras, computers or online sentinels couldn't detect him. Some of the sentinels walked right past him and kept walking. He made sure that only Yugi could see him.
/I'm in the room where Yugi is/ Yami said.
/Is he all right?/ Jean asked.
/He's fine for now/ Yami responded.
Just then, the scientists came into the room. Greg opened the door to Yugi's cell. Yami noticed the electric shackles on Yugi's wrists and the blue head ring on Yugi's head. He could feel that Yugi was pretty weak, which was probably from getting shocked from trying to break his bonds.
"Now to do a few experiments on you before we let the sentinels finish you," Greg said as he and a few other scientists brought Yugi to and put him in a large experiment room. "We want to test you out on a couple of things and will turn off the shackles and head ring's power. If you try to escape, we'll activate them again. As you have already found out, trying to break them while they're on just makes them stronger which increases the intensity of the shock you receive. The first test is how much heat you can generate."
'I'll go along with it, but won't give my full power,' Yugi thought.
He felt his powers return and fired at a heat measuring scale.
The scientists watched the readings from a nearby control room. They were amazed by the amount of heat Yugi could generate. They knew just by this experiment that they needed to get rid of him. The scale blew up a few minutes later, but not before making a last reading. The reading was the heat of the sun itself, but they didn't know that Yugi could generate far greater heat.
'Excellent work Yugi, they don't even know that you can generate far more heat than they could ever dream of. The training in the Danger Room really helped you to control your great heat,' Yami thought.
"You amazed us with how much heat you could hold. Now let's see if you can use your powers on the plants you see before you. These plants have been watered and got air, but they're missing sunlight. This experiment will test you on if you can make plants grow," Greg said.
Yugi lifted his hands above his head and created a medium-sized ball of light. Ten minutes later, all thirty-five plants grew out of the ground. Yugi recalled the light ball and put his hands back down. Then he felt the electricity of the shackles and ring again as he came out of the experiment room. It was then that he saw Yami. Yami put his finger to his lips, and Yugi nodded in understanding.
"Now that we know some of what you can do, we'll stop you from using your abilities against us once and for all," Greg said before putting Yugi back in the cell.
/How are you faring up?/ Yami asked Jean.
/We're almost ready to strike. How's Yugi?/ Jean said.
/He won't be fine too much longer. The scientists plan on having the sentinels kill him. The worse news is that he has shackles and a head ring on him that prevents him from using his powers. He won't stand a chance if he faces the sentinels without his powers/ Yami responded.
/We're ready to strike now. Storm and Rogue are over the base and the others and I are positioned around it but not in range of the sensors or cameras. We'll strike now/ Xavier said. "Storm, Jean, take the sensors and cameras out. Cyclops, Rogue, Wolverine, deal with the guards."
Storm and Jean made quick work of the sensors and cameras, and Cyclops, Rogue and Wolverine knocked each of the guards' unconscious in just one hit. Then they and the others stormed the factory. The inner defenses weren't turned back on giving them somewhat of a break. Like the time when they rescued Jubilee, there were guards behind the door of the second to last room, and Storm blew it and the guards down once again.
"We've got to save Yugi," Jubilee said.
"We will," Gambit said.
They soon came to where Yami said he would be, and Yami became detectable to all again.
"Nice entrance," Yami said.
"But you won't make an exit," they heard a voice say.
"Who are you?" Yami asked turning around to see a man.
"I am Greg, head scientist of this factory," the man responded.
Yami went to the cell and absorbed the electricity from the bars. A few minutes later, he fired a disintegrating ray from his horn. Yugi proceeded to come out. A big charge from his shackles stopped him cold in his tracks.
"I've programmed those shackles to keep him from leaving the cell unless I want him to," Greg said.
"They won't bind him any longer," Yami said as he ripped the shackles from his brother's wrists. He then tore off the head ring. "Are you okay?" he asked.
"I am now. That feels so much better," Yugi responded. "Now let's literally blow this place," he added.
"I agree with you there," Wolverine said as the other X-men nodded.
The scientists released the sentinels, and the battle was on. The scientists left the factory in case the X-men did succeed in blowing it up. The sentinels wer programmed to prevent the factory from being blown up. Yugi started off the attack by melting two of the sentinels to scrap metal. Yami became pure energy again and flew inside another sentinel's inner power source. He unleashed his energy and destroyed it from the inside. Some of the energy went through two more as well. The others battled valiantly, but more sentinels just kept coming at them.
"We'll never defeat them at this rate," Yugi said.
"There must be a computer or something that powers them. If we could destroy that, the sentinels will no longer function," Jean said.
"We're up Yugi," Yami said before transporting Yugi to his back. He galloped off to find the main control room.
They found it on the last room on the east side of the factory. Inside, they found the central control unil as well as the core of the operations. Like the training session in the Danger Room, the core had an electric charged energy ball-throwing defense. Yami put a force field around himself and Yugi to protect them from the core's defenses.
"Let's destroy the computer first," Yami said.
Yugi nodded, and they combined solar and fire power at the computer. The computer was destroyed in a few minutes. Then they aimed and fired at the core. The core unil blew up, and the room turned red.
"Time to take our leave. This place is going to blow," Yugi said.
Yami galloped on at full throttle to make it out in time. Meanwhile, Jean had created a protective dome to prevent the building from caving in on her and the others as they made their way out. They came out ten minutes later and hoped that Yugi and Yami could make it out in time. Meanwhile, Yami navigated through the crumbling building fine until one of the large computers fell down, blocking the path. If that wasn't bad enough, a fire had already started inside the building and roared closer to them.
"Hang on Yugi. It's time to leave the ground behind," Yami said. He spread his wings and flew into the air. He disintegrated a large hole in the ceiling and flew out just as the building exploded.
The other X-men watched in horror at the now crumbled and flaming building. Storm summoned rain clouds and put out the fire. The smoke soon cleared, but there was no sign of Yami or Yugi anywhere. The others came to the ruins of the factory and started to dig through the rubble. A few minutes later, a large part of rubble came flying out a few feet to the left of Jubilee. The others moved away as Yami continued to kick his way out. A few minutes later, he and Yugi came out.
"Thank goodness you two are all right," Rogue said very relieved.
They saw that Yami's legs were bruised, but he somehow managed to remain standing, despite the excruciating pain.
"What happened?" Gambit asked.
"Yami almost cleared the factory's roof when the building exploded. The explosion knocked him back down, and I fell off him. The hard landing injured his legs, but he managed to stand over me and put up a force field. Then he started kicking a path out through the field," Yugi responded.
Yami then teleported them all back to the Institute and repaired the damage down to the outside defenses. Everyone had a quick dinner before retiring to his/her respective room. An hour later, Yami, Yugi and Beast were asleep in the stable. Since Yami was asleep, he could heal himself without becoming tired this time.




End of this chapter. Well I'm back at my university now which means it's back to updating whenever I can for me. Preview for Chapter 6: Apocalypse Returns: The X-men have handled the main rogue mutants that roam around. Some of their former members come to visit them as a good surprise. However, the good times are brought to an end as a rival enters the scene. The worse news is that Apocalypse is back and up to no good again.
P.S. I know that X-men: Evolution has showed Apocalypse, but don't assume that I'll have that one in this chapter. Early warning: You won't get this chapter unless you have watched the X-men cartoon from 1995 and/or played X-men 2: Clone Wars for the Sega Genesis. I don't want to see any criticizing reviews because I warned you early. In other words, expect a most likely big difference between the two Apocalypses.

Stories that I will post the next chapters to:
1. Someone's Always Out to get Me
2. Teaming Up with the Superfriends
3. Not Really A Demon
4. A New World
5. (Possibly) The first chapter of my sequel to Living with a Vampire
6. A Mutant Family
7. The Eyewitness
The order of some of these stories are subject to change, but I will definitely update Someone's Always Out to get Me first because I've left that one hanging for too long.

I'm already thinking of a sequel to Teaming Up with the Superfriends. Your votes will decide what gets crossovered with YGO. Out of these three former Kids' WB cartoons, which one would you like to see in a crossover?
a. Superman
b. Batman (not Batman Beyond)
c. The Batman/Superman Adventures