Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Mutant Family ❯ Apocalypse Returns ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: The X-men had gone through a training session of the sentinel factory in the Danger Room. The training session was successful. They eventually had to do it for real because Yugi was kidnapped during a sentinel raid on the Institute. Yami took responsibility as leader in the rescue mission. He got injured while trying to escape, but he got Yugi out safely.
/ is mental talk between Yami, Jean or Professor X
' is thoughts





Chapter 6: Apocalypse Returns

Yugi had been rescued from the sentinel factory thanks to Yami's leadership in the rescue. Yami got injured while trying to escape the blast from the crumbling building. The X-men enjoyed a good sleep, but not more than Yami. The sleep completely revitalized him as he completely healed himself. Everyone is currently enjoying a day of fun and relaxation. It is a warm partly cloudy day.
"There's no better way to relax than a flight through the city," Yugi said.
"I agree there," Yami agreed. He flew slowly but not too slowly through the air. Then he began to fly higher.
"Why are you going so high bro?" Yugi asked.
"I want to both see and show you something," Yami responded as he flew still higher.
Half an hour later, they were above the clouds. Yugi and Yami both took the scene before them in complete awe.
"This is amazing," Yugi said still in awe.
"It certainly is. I never thought that it could be this beautiful up here," Yami agreed. He flew on above the clouds. He saw Storm come up on his left.
"I never get tired of coming up here. It's just gorgeous," Storm said.
"Yes it is," Yugi and Yami said together.
They flew on above the clouds. A few moments later, Yami got an idea and flew through the clouds. Yugi felt how soft and almost transparent they were. Yami gathered some of a cloud in his hands and turned it into a brilliant white dove. Yugi and Storm were very amazed.
"Whoa Yami, how did you do that?" Yugi asked in awe.
"It's magic little bro. A good magician never reveals his tricks," Yami responded as the dove flew away.
Yugi focused his powers around himself and was like a glowing beacon. He concentrated the light from his solar energy into the clouds below them and turned them a golden color for a few minutes before he let the light dim away. Then Yami and Storm flew below the clouds and at the height of the skyscrapers.
"That was a nice display of power control Yugi," Storm said.
"Thank you," Yugi said smiling. He suddenly felt a major power drain. He started swaying on Yami's back.
"Yugi, what's wrong?" Yami asked worriedly.
"I don't know. I never felt so weak," Yugi said before loosing consciousness and falling off Yami's back.
"Yugi!" Yami cried as he dove after Yugi. He caught Yugi in his arms and flew back up. When he looked at the sun, he saw why Yugi felt so weak.
The moon blocked out the sun's light. Yugi's powers came from sunlight, but also any kind of light. Because the sun was the only source of light outside, he was drained of his energy when the moon blocked the sun out. But Yami sensed something was wrong with the moon. It had a blue aura around it, like something was responsible for moving it. He knew that it would be another 2 years at least before the next solar eclipse.
"Is he all right?" Storm asked concerned.
"He should be when the eclipse is over. But there's something very out of place about the moon. There wasn't supposed to be a solar eclipse today," Yami responded.
"You're right. The next one isn't for at least another 2 years. Someone sinister apparently heard about Yugi's solar powers and probably used the eclipse as a test. We'll have to really keep our eyes open now," Storm said.
Yami nodded, and they flew back for the Institute. They were so in a rush that they never noticed a smirking figure standing on the roof of a skyscraper only twenty feet away. This figure was the cause of the eclipse. His name was Seto Kaiba, but he preferred to go by Eclipse. He really didn't need the moon itself to create an eclipse. He could create eclipses with his own power.
The scientists in the sentinel factory worked for a greater evil known as Apocalypse, and they told him about Yugi's powers. Apocalypse was quite pleased with that bit of information and sent Eclipse to test his powers out on Yugi. Eclipse teleported back to Apocalypse's base and told him the news.
"Ah, so it was a success. Well done Eclipse," Apocalypse said.
"Thank you master. What about Yami?" Eclipse said.
"We'll deal with him when the time comes. You can take away the eclipse now. The test was a success," Apocalypse said.
Eclipse did as he was told, and the sun's light shone through again. Yugi got stronger as the light shone on him. He soon regained consciousness.
"Are you all right Yugi?" Storm asked.
"I am now but what happened?" Yugi responded.
"There was an unnatural solar eclipse. Someone caused it but we don't have any idea who it was," Yami responded.
They arrived back at the Institute to be greeted by worried faces.
"The Professor and I sensed something very wrong with that eclipse," Jean said.
"I did too. I know that someone caused it because there was no eclipse scheduled for today," Yami added before putting Yugi down. "That's only the least of our worries because it drained Yugi of his energy."
"That's grim news indeed. I sense something sinister about this. Something that we'll find out soon," Professor X said.
"But who would want to drain Yugi of his energy and power?" Jubilee asked.
"That's a question that none of us knows the answer to yet," Wolverine responded.
"As Storm and I headed back for here, I sensed a sinister presence nearby. I was so anxious to get here that I didn't check it out. The presence seemed very familiar to me, like I know it," Yami said.
"You most likely probably do," Cyclops said.
"You said that there was something out of place with the moon. What was it?" Storm said.
"I saw a strange blue aura around it," Yami responded. "Like someone moved it."
There was a knock at the door. Jubilee and Wolverine went to answer it and got a wonderful surprise.
"Morph, Kurt, Drake, how good it is to see you," Jubilee said happily.
"We were in the area so we decided to stop by," Kurt said.
"How is everyone?" Morph asked.
"I'm afraid that we have a grim situation my friend," Wolverine responded.
"What kind of situation?" Drake asked.
"Come inside, and we'll explain everything," Jubilee responded.
Kurt, Morph and Drake nodded and went inside the building. The other X-men were in the living room and were happy to see their old friends again. Yami and Yugi just looked on in confusion. Kurt, Morph and Drake shared the look at Yami and Yugi. Even though Yami and Yugi had no idea who the three new people were, Yami knew that they were trustworthy.
"I never saw you before. May we know your names and what you are?" Morph asked Yami.
"Of course. My name is Yami Yin, and I'm a Centaur. I have multiple powers and abilities. This is my younger brother Yugi. He has the power of the sun," Yami responded. "And who might you three be?" he added.
"My name is Kurt, but I'm known as Nightcrawler. I can teleport just about wherever I choose. The one on my right is Drake, better known as Iceman(A/N: My memory of this cartoon is a little rusty. If this is wrong, will someone kindly correct me?). He can create things using ice. The one on my left is Morph. He's a shape shifter," Nightcrawler responded.
"Kurt, Morph and Drake once lived here when they were teenagers," Xavier said.
"I never thought that I would meet a mutant with solar powers. That's got to come in real handy," Drake said.
"I does, but what happened today is the grim situation. Someone caused an eclipse that drained me of my energy and power," Yugi said grimly.
"That is pretty bad. Do you have an idea who it could be?" Morph said.
"I'm afraid not, and that's what really worries us," Yami said.
"Let's worry about that later. We do have guests over here after all," Rogue said.
The others nodded and went to the backyard. There was a basketball court, a soccer field and a volleyball court. Professor X was only outside to watch.
"So, what do you want to play Yugi?" Yami asked.
"I think I have a better chance at the volleyball court," Yugi responded.
"All right," Jubilee said as they headed over to the volleyball court. "Since the Professor is watching, it's uneven," she added.
"I'll stand out and watch as well," Wolverine said.
"Okay so now it will be six on six," Gambit said.
The teams were chosen. The captains were Storm and Cyclops. It was Storm, Yami, Yugi, Nightcrawler, Rogue and Gambit vs. Cyclops, Jean, Drake Morph, Beast and Jubilee. The teams got into position on their side of the net.
"Good luck you guys," Yugi said.
"Thanks Yugi, same to you and the rest of your team," Cyclops said.
The game got started by Cyclops giving the first serve. He sent the ball right to Yami in the back center. Yami hit the ball to Storm in the front center, and she set it to Gambit on her left. Gambit spiked the ball over. Beast tried to get it, but he just missed, resulting in a turnover.
"Nice job Gambit," Yugi said.
"Thanks," Gambit said as Storm was ready to serve.
Storm spiked the ball. She hit it a little too hard because it went out of bounds. The game lasted a while because they were more turnovers than scored points. An hour later, the score was Storm's team 13, Cyclops team 14, going for the game point. Storm's team had the ball, and it was Yami's turn to serve.
"Score us a point big bro," Yugi said.
"I'll try," Yami said as he served it deep in the center.
Morph went to return the ball. Unfortunately, Jubilee didn't see him and was also going for the ball. They collided with each other and the ball ended up right in front of both of them.
"Are you guys all right?" Yami asked.
"Yes Yami. We're okay," Morph responded as he helped Jubilee up.
Jean rolled the ball under the net {1} to Yami for the next serve. The game was tied 14 up. Yami was about to give the next serve when an unknown blast caused a nearby tree to fall. Everyone scrambled to get out the way. Yugi didn't see a root in the ground and tripped over it. He was still under the bottom of the tree. He closed his eyes for the painful impact. Fortunately, it never came. He opened his eyes to see Yami effortlessly holding the tree up in front of him and looking down at him. Yami heard Yugi trip and galloped over at full throttle to help him.
"Are you all right?" Yami asked.
"I am now," Yugi responded.
"How are you fairing up on your end Yami?" Rogue asked.
"Just fine Rogue," Yami responded.
Yugi crawled from underneath the tree and stood up. Then Yami and Rogue set the tree down.
"That was close," Jubilee said.
"Too close," Wolverine agreed.
"Where did that blast come from anyway?" Yugi asked.
"Up there," Jean responded as she pointed to a strange flying craft.
The others looked up and made out some kind of alien markings all over the strange looking starship. Professor X recognized it right away.
"It seems that Apocalypse has returned," Xavier said.
"Who's that?" Yugi, Yami and Morph asked together.
"Apocalypse was the most powerful mutant on the planet. It took us and the brotherhood or the rogue mutants that attacked us to stop him. But he's come back on several occasions to try to fulfill his evil schemes. He thinks and talks like a human male, but he has gone through a big physical change. Even though he still has a human mind and voice, he has a robot body," Xavier responded.
Just then, two figures came from out of the craft. One was Apocalypse. He was a very tall and bulky robot. The other figure was a mystery. That is except to Yami and Yugi. Yami looked at the second figure harshly while Yugi looked at it fearfully. Xavier noticed their looks at the second figure.
"Well Yami. It seems like we meet again," the figure said.
"He knows you?" Jubilee asked.
"Yes, and I know him. I wish I never did though," Yami responded as the two figures touched ground. "What do you want Kaiba?" he asked harshly.
"Even though you went through a physical change, your attitude hasn't changed a bit," Kaiba said.
"What do you want Kaiba?" Yami asked again just as harshly.
"First of all, I don't go by Kaiba anymore. I prefer Eclipse. I wanted to see how your little brother was fairing up after that eclipse I caused," Kaiba said smirking when he noticed Yugi's fear of him. His smirk didn't help in calming Yugi's fear either.
"So you were the one I sensed earlier," Yami said.
"Why did you want to drain Yugi of his power?" Wolverine asked with a tone as harsh as Yami's.
"Just as a test. And as I saw, the test was a complete success," Eclipse responded.
A ball of darkness began to glow in his palm, and he shot it upwards. Yami knew the intention and quickly intercepted it with a ball of pure energy. The light from Yami's energy evaporated the dark ball.
"Ah, so I still can't fool you. You always knew my intentions which is something I still can't figure out," Eclipse said.
"Get out," Yami said angrily.
"No one speaks to my second in command like that except me," Apocalypse said angrily. He shot a blast of sonic energy at Yami.
Yami flew up and out of the way. Apocalypse then aimed at Yugi. Yami scooped up Yugi and flew out of the way with only seconds to spare. Then Yami transported Yugi to his back.
"Let's see just how powerful you really are," Yami said. He and Yugi fired a combination of fire and solar energy at Apocalypse.
Apocalypse's right arm turned into a shield to block the oncoming attack. Amazingly, the once believed most powerful mutant in existence was straining to keep his shield up. Even more amazing is that Yami and Yugi weren't giving their fire full intensity either. Yami and Yugi wer so focused on Apocalypse, that they failed to notice Eclipse creating another dark ball. This one successfully blocked out the sun's light. Yugi started to weaken considerably.
"Oh no you don't Kaiba," Yami said as he bathed himself in a golden light.
Yugi immediately began to recover due to Yami's bright light.
"Are you okay little bro?" Yami asked.
"I am now thanks to you," Yugi responded. He continued to draw his energy from his brother's light as his beams came at Apocalypse even stronger.
"Let's retreat for now. All we wanted to do was see how poweful they were," Apocalypse said.
Kaiba nodded, and they teleported back to the craft. The craft then faded away. Yami focused his light energy and shot it towards the dark ball. The ball dissipated in the light, and Yami let his light dim out.
"That was very nice quick thinking Yami," Beast said.
"Yes it was. Thanks for letting me draw my energy from you," Yugi said.
"Anytime Yugi. Now we know that it will come in real handy," Yami said.
"How do you know Eclipse?" Nightcrawler asked.
"He and I are fierce rivals. I still don't know how I can tell the trustworthy people from the untrustworthy, but I knew that I couldn't trust him the first day I saw him. He was a year behind me, but he always tried to be a year ahead of me. He always failed because I worked to learn and give respect while he only worked to be superior to everyone, including the professors and president of the university.
The day that really increased my dislike for him was when he hurt Yugi. It happened when Yugi spent a day at college with me. We were in the library, and Yugi was high on the ladder looking for a book to help him for his world religions class," Yami began.
"Suddenly, someone threw a book at my head. The book was a heavy one, and knocked me unconscious," Yugi continued.
"He fell off the ladder. I was sitting on one of the couches when I saw him falling. I hurried over and caught him just in time. Somehow, I knew that what happened was no accident. When I looked up, I saw Kaiba smirking. That told me that he threw the book at Yugi. I took Yugi to the hospital and told my mother what happened. She rushed there and arrived in half an hour; it normally took her an hour and a half to get to the hospital in the city because it was almost on the border with another city. We found out that Yugi had a severe concussion. He was out cold for three days," Yami finished.
"How can someone be so coldhearted?" Jean asked after hearing Yami and Yugi's story.
"For Kaiba a.k.a. Eclipse now, that's as easy as the ABC's," Yami responded. "I always felt a chill in the air whenever I was near him. Now he has his sights on you little brother."
"I know, and I'll have to be very careful. He won't hesitate to drain me of my energy," Yugi said.
"Agreed. Yugi, you and Yami are to really always be together from now on. As we witnessed, Yami is more than able to be your source of light," Xavier said.
Yugi and Yami nodded. They never got separated too many times since their membership with the X-men anyway, but Yami took no chances when it came to his brother's safety. True this was being overprotective, but Yugi didn't mind one bit. Yugi knew that Yami was only looking out for him, making sure that he [Yugi] was safe. Meanwhile in another galaxy, Apocalypse and Eclipse were planning their next stage of attack. They only wanted to test Yugi and Yami out. Now that Apocalypse and Eclipse knew, they would do whatever it took to keep Yami and Yugi from interfering.
"We need to send the brothers somewhere that will keep both of them busy for a while," Apocalypse said.
"Let's send them to a dark place with absolutely no light. Yami will be busy keeping his little brother at full strength as they make their way through the long, dark area. Even though there are four mazes that have an end there, they won't be out of the world yet. The real challenge will be to make it out of the world because it is thousands of miles to the end. While they're trying to make their way through the world, we'll attack the other X-men again and rid ourselves of them," Eclipse said.
"An excellent suggestion Eclipse. We'll need to have a plan to attack the other X-men, but you provided a good start," Apocalypse said. "Now we wait until the young brothers are alone."
Meanwhile, Yami and Yugi rested inside the stable. They were talking about what happened in their encounter with the supposed most powerul mutant in existence.
"I don't get it. Apocalypse was said to be the most powerful mutant, even as a big bad robot. But you and I took him like he was a weakling," Yugi said.
"I don't get it either. We shouldn't have been able to take him on that easily. Maybe it's because we've grown more powerful than we think we did. Apocalypse is only the second best now because even if Eclipse tries to block out the sun's light, I can be your light source," Yami said.
"Remember what Jean said about us? It must be our Gemini effect on each other," Yugi suggested.
"You have a good point little bro," Yami said.
Suddenly, Yugi felt something lifting him up. "What's going on?" he asked.
Yami looked up and saw the alien vessel again. "It's Apocalypse," he responded. He flew up to get Yugi out of the vessel's tractor beam {2}, but he ended up getting trapped in it himself.
They were helpless as the beam pulled them into the craft. They were in a pitch-black room. No light got in whatsoever. Yugi felt severly drained, but Yami provided light for him. In providing the light, they saw Eclipse standing by the door.
"Where are we?" Yugi asked.
"You're in the darkest room of this vessel. As you see, no light can get in here. We made it especially for you," Eclipse responded. "But this is not all. We're also sending you two to a world of endless mazes and darkness. You'll never get out of there, and we can destroy your mutant friends," he added before leaving and locking the door.
"We'll see who can't get out of anything," Yami said as he aimed for the door.
Sleeping gas filled the room. Yugi tried to dissolve it with his solar beams, but this gas had an extra ingredient that absorbed any kind of heat-related energy. Yugi and Yami were asleep in seconds. The vessel continued through space to another galaxy. It reached its destination in an hour, a very small fraction of the time that a normal shuttle would or rocket would take.
Yugi and Yami were put into the dark world half an hour before the sleeping gas wore off. Yami woke up first. He saw how immensely dark it was. It was so dark that even flashlights wouldn't help too much if at all. All the same, it wasn't any trouble for Yami. He bathed himself in his golden light and looked around for Yugi. Yami's light was so bright, that it lit up the area far better than all the flashlights ever made could do combined.
"Yugi? Where are you?" Yami asked.
"Uhn, over here Yami," Yugi responded weakly.
Yami followed his brother's voice and soon saw Yugi. Yugi slowly regained his energy as Yami's light came closer to him. He was fully revitalized when Yami stopped in front of him a few minutes later.
"Are you all right?" Yami asked.
"I am now. I see why this is a dark world. You can't see anything. Even a million flashlights probably wouldn't work here," Yugi responded.
"Well, we might as well try to get out of here. It's the only way to save our friends," Yami said.
"You will never get out of this world. All whom I sent here have died long before getting halfway through this world, and those people had the benefit of light in this area," a voice said.
Yami and Yugi looked up to see a projected image of Apocalypse.
"Even though it is futile to say this, if you make it out, then you will be transported back to your planet," the image said.
"Then prepare for a first you big junk heap," Yugi said.
"You won't sound so confident when we're out of this place scrap head," Yami agreed.
"We'll see," the image angrily said before fading away.
Yami lay down, and Yugi got on his back. Then Yami stood up and started walking, increasing the brightness of his light a little so they could see everything around them. They knew that having light would be the key to getting out of this world.


Well, we've come to the end of another chapter. I would like to thank Crouching Tigress again for the ideas for part of this chapter. She suggested that I have Kaiba in the fic. To all the readers, please don't ask me to include another Yugioh character because this is a more X-men-centered fic than a Yugioh one. I thought Kaiba would be a good addition since he and Yami have a very heated rivalry. Anyway, Preview for Chapter 7: Running out of Time: Yami and Yugi make their way through the puzzling world. Apocalypse prepares to strike hard on the Xavier Institute. It's a race against time as Yami and Yugi try to make it out of the dark world in time to help their friends.

This will be the second part of the three-chapter trilogy I decided to create.


{1} I've played on my high school volleyball team during my sophomore year. You roll the ball under the net because if you throw it, then the opponent team scores.