Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Confronting Her Past ❯ Triumph Doesn't Come Without Sacrifices ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own the characters from yu yu hak or TT, just own the abnormal ones that aren't from those two, ok!?
 
Me the not doing so well on keeping the chapters coming Author: chapter 9 is here. I think most of you guys have just given up hope on me for updating…. But that's ok!! I'm still strong with this story!!!! I think…. (^0^) but anyways, if you think my work is going down, just scream at me. It's ok. Just don't burst your voice box, k? cuz if you do, you could probably sue me. (-_-;) holy crap. This chapter took a long time to come out…. Why am I such a lazy bum?!?!?! Why!?!?! Why!?!?!
 
 
Chapter 9 Triumph Doesn't Come Without Sacrifices (pretty vague but rather revealing, eh?? And now that I think about it, I dunno what I named the chapter that.)
 
Yusuke leapt and dodged an oncoming blast of black light. Sweat was beginning to wet his brow and his throat was sore from yelling and cursing. He panted a little as he stood in front of the three eyed ogre demon. Swishing his hand in the air, he formed blue energy waves and pushed them toward the demon. The demon, not able to stop the speedy blow, made a confused noise as his head toppled to the ground. Yusuke grinned to himself. Boy was he glad that Genkai had taught him how to use his power without uttering a sound. His voice was spent and he became cocky that he had learned such a great power- and what made him even cockier, was the fact that he had taught some of it to himself, and by himself.
 
Genkai saw Yusuke grinning at himself. Finishing off the demons that were attacking her with a spirit wave, she ran up behind Yusuke, and before he even realized she was behind him, his face was in the mud.
 
“Damn that old lady,” Yusuke yelled as he got back up. Genkai laughed somewhat evilly, and in such a way that it seemed reserved for only Yusuke. He grumbled as he got up. As he got up, he noticed that the sounds of fighting were being overpowered by the sounds of the dying. The fighting was finishing up. He saw Genkai running off to blast another demon. He saw Kuwabara slashing his spirit sword around clumsily and then saw him tripping on a body and falling to the ground.
 
Yusuke let his laughter roll out. He never held in laughter when it had something to do with Kuwabara being a clumsy oaf. Besides, it felt good to laugh, even though it did hurt his throat a bit.
 
He stopped laughing abruptly. Was that crying he heard? Oh yah- the Teen Titans had been fighting with them. He hadn't really actually forgotten that they were fighting with him and half of his crew. Who could miss the graceful fighting technique of Robin, the beautiful but deadly star bolt throwing Starfire, the half robot that still maintained his human mind that had a deadly strength, and the odd green Beastboy that could change into any animal that he wished to be?
 
Who was crying? He searched around with his eyes, seeking out the sorrowful wailing.
Starfire. It was Starfire. She held the body of someone that Yusuke could not make out. He made his way to her, weaving in and out of the bodies strewn everywhere. As he came closer he saw Robin with his face staring at the ground and with his back turned from the weeping Starfire. Yusuke looked at the person Starfire held in her arms. Cyborg. Yusuke looked in horror at the body. The metal parts had been torn and scratched away from his body, leaving him with mostly only half of a body. Genkai appeared. She looked sadly at Cyborg.
 
“He had more potential than he knew. No demon could have done such a thing to Cyborg- especially the ones that we were fighting. Something is not right here,” Genkai said softly, as Yusuke carefully pulled Cyborg from Starfire's grasp. Yusuke was taken aback when she flung her arms around him and sobbed into Yusuke's shoulder. He tensed, but then relaxed, letting her cry.
 
“Where's Beastboy?” Robin asked roughly.
 
Robin looked suddenly alarmed, and seemed to fear the worst. He rushed off, searching through the strewn bodies. He dug through the bodies, pushing with all the strength that he had left all the other bodies this way and that. Then he stopped. He kneeled in closer to the ground and lifted up a body. As he neared the others, Botan walked toward him and silently and sadly pointed her head toward the ground.
 
Robin looked away and laid Beastboy beside Cyborg. He then suddenly fell to his knees.
 
“Why?” He asked quietly in grief. “Why?! This is not even our fight! They came to us!” He turned to Yusuke. “This is your fault! Take your demons and leave this place! We don't accept the likes of you or the demons!”
 
“Unfortunately, we are in this together. And I guess I am at fault,” Raven fazed through the air and appeared. “I am sorry. Sorry about Cyborg and Beastboy.”
 
“Raven! Do you not see Cyborg and Beastboy? Why is it that you always have to keep everything so guarded and secretive!! We're your friends! THEY were your friends!! If you have the slightest bit of decency, you would be on your knees crying in grief, wondering why you even pulled us into this business of yours. Why do you pull us into your business now, when you never have, and when your business seems to be at its worst? Do you have some plan, Raven? Are you actually against us? And wish to get rid of all of us? Even the others that came to warn us and save us from such danger? Why is it that you didn't tell us? Are you sure you don't have your memory? Is all that you're telling us a lie? What is your hidden ploy?!” Robin let out the words in his helpless grief and fury.
 
He glared at the ground through his mask as unshed tears threatened to fall. He looked up suddenly at Raven, unaware of everything around him but Raven. He focused on her new appearance, realizing that she had changed too much for him to recognize her. To him she had changed inside, into a more colder and heartless Raven.
 
“Why is it that you doubt me Robin? You, yourself should know that you and I know each other best. Our minds are connected- Ever since I went into your mind and I allowed you into mine, a special bond was created between us, an unbreakable one. One that cannot be broken unless you wish it. How long has it been since that day, Robin? Have we ever once doubted each other? Our bond remains unbroken, yet. Among all of us of the Teen Titans we knew each other like the back of our hands and we even shared some of each other's talent and power. Occasionally you were able to see into the future, and trek into one's mind. And I was gifted with even more insight and indelible urge for revenge and even at times became a shadow of you, matching your every combat move.
 
“How is it that you, who knew me best, do not know me at this moment? Do you think that I am a rock that feels nothing? I tell you this, Robin, I do know grief, better than what you see it as. All you see it as is as a wave of loss and pain. I see it as that too. But look behind the veil, Robin. Do you not see the triumph of how many have died by the right hands? Do you not feel the slightest bit of pride of how bravely and courageously your friends fought tonight? Do you not see the glory that they reached for, or the glory that they wanted to help others reach? Like this city? Do you not see that they have achieved the glory for themselves and the city? You only think of yourself right now! You act as if the weight of the whole world has fallen on your soldiers, and you carry it stubbornly, not allowing others to help you, to relieve you. And, how do I know this, Robin? You begin to share my characteristic of keeping to myself.
 
“My faith in you begins to wane, Robin. To think that you would think so low of me. I loved Beast Boy and Cyborg. Beastboy with his cheesy pranks and jokes, and Cyborg with his incomprehensible mechanics, and both of them with their video games. Don't say that you knew them better than me, Robin. We knew about them and befriended them at similar levels. Don't ever think that I enjoyed seeing them dead. We were all family, Robin. You, me, Starfire, Beastboy, and Cyborg.”
 
Raven looked up from her hard stare at the ground and looked at Robin. Tears streamed down her face and dripped to the ground. Her wide eyes show hurt, anguish, and disbelief.
 
“You of all people, Robin. I didn't expect…” Her voice changed at that moment. Her pain filled voice turned hard and full of spite. “I'm sorry. I'M SORRY. I'm sorry that I pulled you into this Robin. I'm sorry that I couldn't fulfill my duty as a friend and protect and understand all of you. I'm sorry I was always the weird one out. And I'm sorry that we ever became friends.” And with a flick of her head to the side, her tears fell to the ground. And at that second, a sharp tug pull at a part of his mind. He felt the oddest sensation of trickling water-like substance pulling up from his mind and evaporating. And with that, Raven disappeared.
 
The night wind blew harshly against everyone, pulling them into a deeper misery. Starfire's sobs rose with the wind, reminding all of the loss and pain of the day, and the shock of meeting Raven at a time like this.
 
Robin looked down at his friends' corpses unseeingly. Raven's words rang through his head clearly. He gazed blindly at nothing, trying to grasp hold of her ending words.
 
I'm sorry we ever became friends…”
Friends
Friends
 
Robin jolted back to awareness. He clenched his right fist, and glared down at it.
 
“I'm going after her,” he said through gritted teeth. He stood up abruptly and stared ahead of him. His mind felt at loss, somehow, as if that something that had kept him going all his life was gone without hope.
 
“I'm going,” he repeated, and bolted off toward the portal, heedless of the shouts and cries following after him.
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
“Does she usually faint when she kills needlessly?” asked Suka.
 
“Idiot. She didn't just faint because of that. She's somewhere else right now,” said Suka's sister, Asuka.
 
“She's back at where her friends are. Back where they fight for their lives,” Kurama murmered.
 
Raven lay in the alley, surrounded by Kurama, Hiei, Suka, and Asuka. They looked at her worriedly, fearing the worst.
 
The motionless Raven suddenly twitched and jerked up into a sitting position. She took in large gasping breaths, half choking on her sobs that welled up in her throat. She burst into tears and flung her arms around Hiei. Hiei tensed at the sudden desperate hug and relaxed, allowing her to release all of her pain and fear.
 
~ * ~
 
Me the Author: Done. YES!!!! Pretty emotional chappy huh? Must be hormones or something….. heh heh heh…. Well next chapter will come sooner or later, maybe sooner than you think because I got a sudden wave of inspiration. MUWAHAHAHAHA! And it seems as if I let Raven rant on too much. My bad. Words just kept shooting into my head to write down; I could barely keep up with my HIGHLY INTELLIGENT mind. Hah my butt.