Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fluff Forevermore ❯ On The Pointless Side ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER: Me + My Property Pertaining To Yu Yu Hakusho NOTHING.
-Shuuichi,
I took from your last letter that you're settling well at that school I sent you off to (withoutany choice). I nearly laughed myself silly over the last letter. I can easily imagine Hiei doing something like that to anyone who gave you trouble, and the mental image is something I can see keeping me in a good humor for a long time coming.
Not much going on in this corner of the world. I'm still working, obviously (ugh) and trying to beat off the guys. (Don't you dare laugh at me, Shuuichi Minamono. You're not the only good-looking one in the family.) I know you think that a boyfriend would be good for me—don't deny it—but I'm perfectly happy with the two men in my life—you and Hiei. You're all I need.
And now we move on to the much juicier topic of yourlove life. You never did tell me how many fangirls you have at that school. And how Hiei reacted to them. I expect a true answer in next week's letter, young man. I also want to know all the details of what's happening between you two. (But keep the conversation PG-13, because my ears are delicate.)
I wish that place had phones. I don't like having to exchange all of our news through letters! I want to hear your voice again! But I guess it can't be helped.
I have to admit, I'm jealous of all those people who get to see you every day, while I sit here in the kitchen and write this, alone. I know this is something you need to do in order to move past all this and get on with your life, and that was why I was willing to let you go so far away. But for the moment, I'm depressed, and so I'm going to go and indulge in some selfish self-pity and a gallon of triple-chocolate ice cream, and just let myself miss you two.
Give Hiei my love, and know that I also love you more than life, so you'd better get back home safe, and soon
-Your ever-impatient mother
PS. Tell Hiei “lotsa love” and also that if he sends his own letter instead of just adding a note to the end of all of yours, I'll gladly return the favor.
Kurama laughed as he refolded Shiori's letter and slid it carefully into his bag. “mother sends her love,” he told Hiei, who sat next to him at the breakfast table.
“How is she?” Hiei asked around a mouthful of hash browns.
“Fine,” Kurama said. “Lonely. She'd like to see more letters from you.”
“Hn.” But, if Kurama wasn't mistaken, Hiei smiled a little as he said that.
Kurama sighed inwardly. He missed Shiori. The Tentei had been at Hogwarts for over a month now, and he was beginning to think that nothing would ever happen.
In all those days, Koenma had only contacted them once, in a letter brought by Sora, two days ago, to tell them that Mukuro hadn't contacted him, and Kou had only sent a letter explaining that he had found a few A-class willing to join him, but no S-class. Most of them had already joined Voldemort. Koi had taken his small band to join Mukuro's army in Northern Makai, to Train, in the small hope of being able to overtake and defeat some of Voldemort's newest recruits during their march to Voldemort's hidden stronghold. He also hoped to capture one soldier alive and force him into revealing the location of the fortress.
“Bottom line is, this has turned from a relatively small battle to a war that threatens all three worlds, and we're losing ground,” were Koenma's grim parting words.
After reading the letter, the Tentei had immediately sent a reply to Koenma, asking him if he had any word on Voldemort himself.
And now it seemed that they already had a reply, for Sora had dropped off two letters that morning. One was Shiori's, and the other was a blank envelope bearing only Koenma's wax seal. Yusuke, who had been waiting impatiently for Kurama to read his letter, now grabbed Koenma's and tore it open. He scanned it, gave a grunt of annoyance, and passed it over the table to Kurama. It was short, irritated, and to the point.
Obviously, I have no leads at all on the guy. If I did, I would have sent that information in my last letter, which you received only two daysago. I know you are all impatient to do your thing and get back home. However, I cannothelp it if I have already told you all I know. As soon as I have something solid for you to go on, I will let you know. Until that time, kindly be patient and wait there, and do not bother me with pointless questions. And above all, stay at the school. I have far too much on my mind right now to be worrying about you four getting restless and running off to fight on your own. I promise, if you stay calm, I'll contact you as soon as I get a lead.
Hiei, who had been scanning the note over Kurama's shoulder, swore at the “pompous, stuck-up infant brat.” Kurama put a hand on his shoulder to quiet him.
“Well, we heard that loud and clear,” Hiei grumbled. “Stupid toddler.”
“Are we gonna do what he said?” Kuwabara asked.
“We really have no choice,” Yusuke told him.
“We do have one…” Hiei began quietly.
“No, Hiei. We've talked about this. You aren't going to find Mukuro and Kou,” Kurama said firmly. “It's dangerous. You will stay here, with me, and you won't scare me again with talk about leaving to be Mukuro's second-in-command again, even if it's only for a little while. Are we clear?”
“But…if I can train them best…”
Are we clear?” Kurama repeated forcefully.
Hiei nodded. “All right, fox. I didn't want to go, really. I just…”
“Felt obligated. I know.”
The bell rang, signaling the end of breakfast and the start of classes. As Kurama stood up, he carefully rolled his right shoulder forward and back, feeling a pang of satisfaction when there was only a twinge of pain. The last month had done much to set his arm on a healing path. He still felt pain at any sort of movement, but his arm was healing, if slowly.
And so was his mind, with Hiei's help. He didn't know why, but this place did him good. Maybe it was meeting others whose lives had been changed drastically by Voldemort, and knowing that he wasn't alone. Maybe it was the idea of finally putting this part of his life behind him.
And maybe it was just Hiei.
The hiyoukai had been at his side constantly since they'd ended their fight. He had seemed different somehow…softer. Though he had been caring before the fight, now he had become even more so. He was gentle and understanding and kind, and he took every chance he was offered to hold Kurama in his arms. And he had stopped making threats against Voldemort, or, in fact, talking about him at all, seeming to understand that mention of the wizard only made the fox more nervous.
But the real change was in his eyes. They held a soft glow whenever he even glanced at Kurama now, and his love was clear to the world in those moments. He had thrown even the smallest reservations about showing affection in public out the window completely.
“What are you thinking about?” Hiei asked into his ear, coming up behind Kurama and taking his hand.
Kurama smiled and squeezed his hand. “You,” he replied, pulling Hiei over to the wall, out of the way of the crowd. He spread his legs in an upside-down V, arm around Hiei's waist, and balanced so he could look his koi in the eye. “Have I told you I loved you yet today?”
“You have, but I wouldn't reject to your repeating it,” Hiei told him, closing the distance and kissing him.
“Get a hose, someone,” a loud voice said behind Hiei.
Hiei dropped his head onto Kurama's shoulder and growled quietly, and Kurama glared at the blond, pale, smirking boy who was taunting them.
“I swear to Kami-sama, I will send that boy to Hell and back,” Hiei muttered.
Kurama sighed and said, out of habit, “Don't kill humans, koi.”
“The look on your face right now completely contradicts that order, fox,” Hiei said dryly. “What happened to staying away from us?” he yelled at Draco Malfoy.
Malfoy smirked and melted into the crowd without replying. Hiei gave another growl and said, “He killed the mood, dam him.”
Kurama sighed and put an arm around Hiei's shoulders. “It's time for class, anyway.”
Hiei groaned.
“What were you guys talking about that got you so upset at breakfast, Kurama?” Harry asked as they walked into the Potions classroom.
“Oh…just…work stuff,” Kurama said.
“Could you be a little more vague?' Hermione asked in exasperation.
Kurama shrugged. “Nothing to tell. Koenma just told us he's got nothing, so just be patient and wait for news.”
Ron looked skeptical. “That upset you?”
Kurama shook his head. “What upset me is no longer a problem.”
“But what…”
“It's nothing,” Kurama repeated.
More questions were cut off when Snape swept into the room. He curled his lip derisively at Hiei and Kurama as he passed. He was still livid that the two hadn't gotten into any trouble over the incident of their first meeting. He caught Hiei's eye for a short moment, sneering, before simply deciding to ignore he and the kitsune completely, as he frequently ignored Harry.
Which was fine for both Hiei and Kurama, who were then free to be lovey-dovey all through class without Snape saying anything.
Draco Malfoy, however, was another story entirely. He had eventually gotten over his fear of Hiei, and now he spent every spare moment tormenting him and Kurama. Most of the time, they managed to almost convince themselves that the cretin didn't exist, but there were days when he refused to allow them a moment's peace. On those days, it was only Kurama's insistence that he stay out of Reikai prison that kept Draco from an oh-so-timely death.
“That kid makes Yomi look nice,” Hiei commented to Kurama as class started.
“Who's…” Hermione began.
“One of our cases,” Hiei interrupted. “And that's all you need know.”
“English, Hiei, speak English,” Kurama chided. “You've improved greatly in the last few weeks.”
“But why?” Hiei asked. “They have the translators…”
“Because you need to practice,” Kurama said firmly. “Now, English!”
Hiei sighed. “Fine. Slave driver.”
“Stubborn mule,” Kurama retorted.
“Baka kit—stupid fox.”
“Crazy pyro.”
“You just have to have the last word, don't you?”
“Yep.”
“Why do we always do this?”
“Because it's fun and I always win.”
“I love toy.”
Hiei smiled. “See?”
“Shut up.”
“I love you, too.”
Hiei sighed as he toyed with his fork at dinner that night.
“What's the matter, koi?' Kurama asked.
“What?”
“You look sad,” Kurama explained.
“Oh…nothing. I just…” Hiei sighed again. “I want to go home, fox!”
“Oh. You, too?” Kurama asked, spreading butter over his bread.
Hiei nodded, even though the question had been rhetorical. “Why hasn't anything happened yet? If something did, maybe we would have gone back by now!”
Kurama sighed. “I don't know. I want to go home as much as you do, but…” He shrugged helplessly. “We'll just have to stick it out. Can you do that?”
“For you, I think I can try.”
“Good. Now eat your steak.”
Hiei nodded and obediently picked up his fork.
A comfortable silence fell between them.
But it was shattered when a scream pierced the room, effectively silencing every student and teacher.
“ONIISAN!”
Hey, guys, sorry it took so long! But it's not too terribly short, is it?
Reviewers' comments:
Goma Ryu: Of course I didn't give up! I love all my fics too much to ever quit one in the middle! Thanks for the review, by the way!
KoveAiden: I can only try to put Draco in a lot. But I'm not very good at writing about mean people…I'm sorry. I promise to try, though! Thanks for the review!
Amine: Mine started on the 21st and it ends on the 30th. And I updated! There! No wrath! Please! hides in invisible place that no one will ever know about
MikaSamu: Snape…I have mixed feelings on Snape. Sometimes I like him, other times I want nothing to do with him. So I honestly don't know what to do. I'll just play it by ear, I guess. Thanks for the review!
Jessica: Thanks for the review!
shiorifoxiesmom: Thanks for the review and I will try!
StormAZ: Yes, yes, poor Hiei would have been hugged! Tee hee hee…I should do that…some time…thanks for the review, it was great as always!
YokoYoukai: Thank you! I could have looked on the DVDs but I was too lazy…and the only reason I keep fics on paper is that it gives me something to do at school since I'm not popular enough for people to look at, let alone talk to. (Which is a great, great relief, by the way…)
Pyro: I don't WANT to be eaten OR in pain, so DON'T GO THERE! And thanks for the review even if you ARE intent to kill!