Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fluff Forevermore ❯ Kinda Boring ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER: This is a simple concept: I DON'T OWN ANYTHING.
Hiei dropped his knife and fork and jumped up so fast that he nearly fell over backward. He turned just in time to catch the figure hurtling at him. “Yukina…” he murmured, sounding dazed. “Yukina, what are you doing here?”
“Koenma-sama said I could come!” Yukina told him, hugging him back. “I learned that you were here, and I begged Koenma-sama to let me join you! I missed you, Oniisan!”
Over Yukina's shoulder, Hiei stared at Dumbledore, who winked at him. Hiei smiled slightly at him and said, “I missed you, too.” He gave her one more squeeze, stepped away, and led her to the table, listening to her chattering in Japanese.
Kurama hugged Yukina as she sat down. “It's good to see you, too, Yukina.”
“You, too. Thank you for keeping my surprise a secret,” Yukina said.
Hiei's eyes snapped to Kurama. “You knew about this?”
Kurama grinned, but didn't say anything.
Yukina giggled. “I told him about it in a letter I sent him in secret.”
“And the Detective and the Fool…”
“Knew about it, too,” Yusuke replied, ignoring Kuwabara's indignant spluttering. “And the three we're staying with. Yukina, meet Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and Harry Potter,” he added, tilting his head to each of the three in turn, who smiled in greeting.
“Exactly how long have all of you been cooking this up?” Hiei demanded.
“A couple of days or so,” Kurama replied. “Since Yukina got back to the Ningenkai. When she sent me a letter with her idea in it, I was all for it, since you were missing her so much, so I talked to Dumbledore about it, and he gave her a job helping Madam Pomfrey.”
Hiei smiled, leaned over, and kissed his cheek. “Thank you.”
“Do you speak English?” Hermione asked, picking up the nearest empty plate and piling food onto it.
Yukina nodded as Hermione set the plate in front of her. “Thank you, and yes. I learned English from Ms. Genkai, the woman I lived with.”
“So you're Hiei's little sister, eh?” Ron said. “I expected you to be…different, somehow.”
Yukina cocked her head slightly to the side. “Different how?”
“Oh, I don't know. Less…polite. Colder.”
Yukina looked confused. “Why would you think that?”
“He thought you would be like the rest of the Koorime,” Hiei explained. “Like the ones who threw me off the island.”
Yukina looked sadly down at her plate. “You told them, then?”
Hiei nodded once, tightly.
“Weasley-san—Ron—I promise you that I am not like all of those women,” Yukina said softly.
“I'm sorry,” Ron said. “I didn't mean to insult your race…”
“No, no, it is true. They were wrong to exile my brother, and I am ashamed to say that I was once one of them.” There was true sorrow in her voice. “And yet…I still travel there, even though they shun me out of shame of having one of their own living among humans. I cannot explain why, but…that world is still a part of me, and even thought I am ashamed of it, I must face it. And so I force myself to go there, and be civil, even thought every time I look upon their faces, I wish for them all to feel the pain they caused you tenfold.” Yukina spoke only to Hiei now, though she was aware that the others still listened. “That was why I went there four months ago,” she whispered. “That is why I always go. I meant to tell you, but…I did not think you would want me to speak of our family.”
“Family,” Hiei repeated, the word tasting bitter on his tongue. “They are not my family, Yukina. You are my family. Kurama is my family. Shiori, Urameshi, even the Fool…they are my family. Those women have never been my family, and they never will be. Not where it counts.” Hiei's voice dropped almost to nothing. “If only I knew where it does count.”
Yukina hesitated, then picked up his hand, pressing it to his heart. “Do you feel that?”
“Yes…it's my heart, but…”
That is where it counts, Oniisan,” Yukina said softly. Hiei caught her eyes and stared into them. She smiled gently, still holding his hand.
The moment was broken by a sniff. Hiei looked across the table and threw his hands up in disgust. “And there she goes again!”
Hermione gave a watery laugh. “I'm sorry. It's just so sweet!”
Hiei shook his head. “I will never understand you.”
“Hey, Potter, who's your new friend?” a sneering voice asked from behind them. “She's…decent.”
Hiei tensed visibly, and turned slowly to face Draco Malfoy, who was leering at Yukina in a way that made Hiei want to rip his eyes out of his head and feed them to him. “Stay away from her,” he said, his voice dangerously low.
“Oh, jealous, Shorty?” Draco asked with apparent relish. “But won't that make dear `Fox' mad?”
“She is my sister, and you will stay away from her. Even the Fool is preferable for her compared to you. I may be small, but I assure you, my size will be the least of your concerns if you lay a hand on her. Now get out of my sight,” Hiei growled, throwing in his famous death glare, which, more than anything the hiyoukai said, always made Malfoy move in the opposite direction at a rather accelerated rate.
“And one more thing,” Hiei added as Draco's eyes widened, and he turned to go. “The only one who calls him…” He looked at Kurama. “…Fox is me.”
“Hey, Yukina!”
Yukina smiled politely at the boy who had spoken to her as she followed the Tentei, two wizards, and the witch back to their dormitory after breakfast, but she didn't speak, and she ignored his attempts to get her to wait.
Beside her, Hiei growled. “That's the third guy who's come up to you…”
“Kurama! Hi!”
“And the second guy who's come up to Kurama!” Hiei added. “Does everyone want to take you away from me?”
Kurama frowned. “I hate fanpeople.”
“Me, to.”
“I love you though.”
“Back at ya.”
Yukina giggled. “Aren't they adorable?” she asked to the world in general as they gave the painting the password. (Yukina squealed in delight at the moving picture.)
Must you always say that?” Hiei complained.
“Yep.”
“I am now convinced that sisters equal evil,” he said, but he was smiling, and everyone present saw clearly that the Jaganshi was happier than he'd been in a long time, now that he had the two he loved most at his side.
Now did that really take so long? I know it's short, but the tenth chapter is finished, too, and it is ALSO short, and I'm typing it as soon as I update this, so it SHOULD be up today! So don't kill me, all right?