Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Fluff Forevermore ❯ Take an Interest Again ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't remember buying Yu Yu Hakusho or Harry Potter lately, so that would mean I don't own anything. Okay? Okay…
Kurama clenched his right fist tightly, forcing his fingers to dig into his palm and hold.
“What are you doing?” Hiei asked from beside him.
“Physical therapy.”
“What the what? Hiei asked, using his favorite ningen expression, which he had picked up from Yusuke.
Kurama let his hand fall open, and clenched it one more time. “Physical therapy,” he repeated.
“What kind of ritual is that?”
“It helps my arm heal.”
Hiei looked confused. “But didn't taking off the sling mean it was better?”
Kurama shook his head. “It's repaired itself, but the muscles have been out of action for so long that they're weak. I have to rebuild their strength,” he explained as he finished and reached over Hiei to turn off the lamp.
Kurama had been dismayed to find this out when he had decided to take is arm out of its sling two weeks before. He had never had a broken bone heal naturally before, and he had expected to be able to pick up his rose whip and use it straight away. But when he went off to a secluded corner of the school grounds to catch up on training, he had been shocked to find that he could hardly hold his weapon.
He had, therefore, asked Yukina to try and help, but she only managed to make a slight difference. So, he had begun his own version of physical therapy, and now, two weeks later, he was figuring out that this could take a while. But he was determined to keep at it, and fight Voldemort at least close to full strength.
The only problem was that the end of term was fast approaching, and there was still no sign of their enemy. In a month, they would all have to go home, and report failure.
Which none of them had never done, and probably wouldn't be too good at.
“Well, I guess coming here really was pointless,” Kuwabara said as the group walked into their dorm.
“Yeah, term's up in a week,” Harry said.
“Well, that's a week for something to happen,” Yusuke said confidently. “Hey, Kurama, Sora's at your window,” he added as he sat down on his bed.
“Hm? Oh. Right. Wonder what pointless news we have now,” Kurama said dispiritedly as he went to open the window. Sora soared in, dropped her letter on Kurama's bed, and flew back out the window.
Kurama slit the top of the envelope and opened the letter, finding only two lines. He scanned it, and his eyes got wide. When he finished, he passed it wordlessly to Yusuke, who read it aloud.
“Tentei: Mukuro MIA. Most likely dead in battle. Army taken over by Kou. Voldemort heading toward school alone. Kou will take care of the army. Prepare for battle. Koenma.”
“Dead.”
Hiei's voice was flat, emotionless. Kurama, who sat next to him, felt his eyes fill as he watched his depressed koibito. “I'm sure she's all right, Hiei…”
“No. Mukuro is never MIA. She's dead, and there's nothing we can do about it.” Hiei sighed. “Voldemort's men killed her.”
Kurama put a hand on his shoulder. “I'm sorry, koi.”
“It isn't your fault. I'm fine. Friendship was kind of strained anyway.” But he was lying, and everyone in the room knew it.
“`Niisan, it is all right,” Yukina said softly. “She is still alive.”
“How do you know that?” Hiei asked miserably.
“I don't.”
Hiei looked at her, and then he smiled slightly. “You're right…” he said slowly. “Thank you.”
“That is why I am here,” Yukina said, speaking the unfamiliar English language in an oddly formal manner. “I am also here to make sure you do not starve. It is time for dinner.”
Hiei nodded once and stood up.
“Did we miss something?” Hermione asked.
“Yes,” Kurama said, smiling. “You all go ahead to dinner. I'll be along in just a second.”
“All right, but hurry, all right, fox?” Hiei said, kissing Kurama on the cheek and following the others out.
Kurama sat down on the bed and picked up the note. He studied it, flexing his weaker hand as he did so. Something had been bothering him…why had Koenma been so short? Where were the details? Like the circumstances of Mukuro's disappearance?
“Hello again, Yoko Kurama.”
Kurama froze at the ice-cold voice, clutching the note so tightly that his knuckles turned white and crumpled in his hand. Slowly, he looked up at the black figure in the corner.
“You lied to me, you know,” Voldemort said mildly. “You made me believe that you were Hiei Jaganshi. Now I know why you didn't ever cry…”
“W-what do you want?” Kurama asked, his voice shaking.
“Well, you were so much fun last time that I just had to have some more before you all die. All except the Forbidden One, of course.” Voldemort came out of the shadows, and for the first time, Kurama saw his face.
It was a face like death. Cold red eyes, nothing like Hiei's, glared out from a skull-white face. Kurama, ensnared by those chilling eyes, didn't move as Voldemort came toward him. He couldn't move—he was too terrified even to think. His mind and body were completely numb.
Long white fingers touched his face. “Such a pretty one…maybe I won't kill you. Maybe I'll keep you…as a toy.”
Kurama grew more and more terrified as Voldemort pushed him back to the bed, tearing off his shirt in one movement. But one word ran through his mind, breaking through the white fog of panic, the only word that always brought him comfort, and just before Voldemort grabbed his chin and kissed him roughly, he screamed, “HIEI!”
There, two chapters in a day! So ha! But together they only make like four pages…oh, well. I'll just try and get some more up ASAP, though I have to write a chapter for To Be Pure first…that one will probably be short, though…Review, please!
Reviewers' comments: